Quantcast

deep fryer

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
mmmmm....fried rabbit. actually we were gonna pan fry one this weenend & then finish it in the oven but the farmer ran out. :rant:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
so i got me a free Fry Daddy 4cup deep fryer and have been using it just for fries and such so far.

i want to deep fry some snickers tonight and was curious as to how you all make your batter to put the snickers in.
i heard funnel cake batter or pancake batter works.

any ideas?

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
How long does the oil stay good in these fryers?
Anyone use peanut oil?

I would love to get one but I am fat and would like to look like I did a few years ago which is hard to do with my work schedule.

I has a deep fried snickers at our county fair once, it SUCKED! The warm peanuts are like chewing on little rubber balls :disgust: I think a milkyway would work better.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Anyone use peanut oil?

I would love to get one but I am fat and would like to look like I did a few years ago which is hard to do with my work schedule.

I has a deep fried snickers at our county fair once, it SUCKED! The warm peanuts are like chewing on little rubber balls :disgust: I think a milkyway would work better.
oil life depends on what you fry. If you're doing chicken wings and heavily breaded things, MAYBE twice. If it's fresh po tate toes or wontons or something, then you can get 2-3. If you don't mind stuff tasting like everything else, then longer.

I usually use canola or corn; I hear peanut is the way to go, but it's much more expensive. My parents used crisco. Now that I think about it, it's terrifying.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
advice from my wife (the one who won't let me get a deep fryer): apparently you have to chill the snickers bar first. leave in refrigerator overnight. then dip in batter, and deep fry.
i left in the freezer over night as per the instructions i found online....one still melted and turned my peanut oil into chocolate peanut oil

Anyone use peanut oil?

we've only used peanut oil...its a bit more expensive, but my fryer used 4cups, so a small bottle of oil is pretty cheap. id still be using my 3 week old oil, but the snickers f'ed it up

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Idoson, how's the deep fryer working out? I'm thinking about getting one for tator tots and chicken wings.
Hey man, I recently started using a cheap-o that Aldi's grocery store had on special and I love it. It has a lid and adjustable temp control. The lid make a huge huge difference from the old fry baby bucket I had been using for years. It's made cheaply and I'm sure it will break in a few years but for right now it's great.

Similar to this one but more basic.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZDNKVA/ref=asc_df_B003ZDNKVA1791596?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B003ZDNKVA

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Idoson, how's the deep fryer working out? I'm thinking about getting one for tator tots and chicken wings.
the Fry Daddy we got worked great until amy plugged it in with the plastic top on which melted into the oil and onto the metal. i tossed it and got this one:

it works great, has a temp knob, a basket to remove the food and can be used for other things besides frying (though we've only used it for frying)

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
$30 is great! Do you store the oil in it?
Yeah, we reuse the oil for several weeks unless what we cook leaves a bunch crap in there.

This model works very well. I want one for cooking Fish and Onion Rings. My firends wife is an awesome cook and uses the hell out of hers....
Yeah, I've had no complaints on the new one. It is a bit bulky but it's not a huge deal.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yeah, we reuse the oil for several weeks unless what we cook leaves a bunch crap in there.

Yeah, I've had no complaints on the new one. It is a bit bulky but it's not a huge deal.
So Amy didn't break it yet?