Quantcast

Deity Compound plastic pedals

deitybikeco

Chimp
Nov 11, 2010
Thin pins will cut through rubber easier n all directions. But agreed, more pins doesn't always equate to more traction/friction. Less longer pins might be surfice, but with 2 being plastic, hmmm. Will be keen to see how they go. Will a TI axle upgrade be available if pedal bodies are replaceable.
Thanks for the post...

Negative on TI axles, for now. The spindles on the Compound Pedals are slightly different than what we run on our Decoy 2.0, 2.5, and Decoy LT Pedals, so initially we do not want to stock a part that will cost so much more than the pedal itself. This may change after we release our two frames and the dozens of other new parts throughout the next 12 months. It is crazy around here right now...

We will be offering replacement bodies, cr-mo spindles, pin kits, and rebuild kits though.

Last edited:

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Thanks for the post...

Negative on TI axles, for now. The spindles on the Compound Pedals are slightly different than what we run on our Decoy 2.0, 2.5, and Decoy LT Pedals, so initially we do not want to stock a part that will cost so much more than the pedal itself. This may change after we release our two frames and the dozens of other new parts throughout the next 12 months. It is crazy around here right now...

We will be offering replacement bodies, cr-mo spindles, pin kits, and rebuild kits though.
Thetruth is stoked.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
i don't know if 6 pins per side will cut it for DH.
on any decent shaped (concave) pedal 5 pins per side is all you really need, one at each corner and one in line with the axle at the outer edge.

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
I have a very similar HT pedal with plastic molded pins and another mag/ti pedal, also from HT. In taking the 2 pedals apart, the only difference I saw was the use of an extra spacer to make up the difference in spindle length.

Mag/ti I have on the bottom. Top pedal went to a friend.

Close up of the plastic pedal with molded pins.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
on any decent shaped (concave) pedal 5 pins per side is all you really need, one at each corner and one in line with the axle at the outer edge.
I've never ridden a pedal like that, and haven't seen many (any?) on the market that are laid out that way.

deitybikeco

Chimp
Nov 11, 2010
Our Decoy Pedals do not use the stock HT spindle that you find on almost every pedal coming out of the HT factory. Our spindles are slightly shorter and have different machining dimensions for our DU bushings. This allows our DU Bushings to be easy to replace when needed and makes our Decoy spindles not compatible with the Compound pedals...

The Compound pedals use the longer spindle and the DU Bushings are a bitch to replace, so every replacement pedal body will come with pressed in DU Bushings already. Simple.

Last edited:

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
Our Decoy Pedals do not use the stock HT spindle that you find on almost every pedal coming out of the HT factory...
Simple.
Sweet, I'm looking forward to them. I've already snapped off some of the plastic molded "pins" on another set and they've become my dedicated skatepark pedals instead.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
i have to say that at the start of this thread I thought this was a product I had no interest in (not hating on it, just meh'ing on it) but the informative posts from Deity have convinced me that a lot of thought went into designing these, and they might be worth trying.

:thumb:

deitybikeco

Chimp
Nov 11, 2010
i have to say that at the start of this thread I thought this was a product I had no interest in (not hating on it, just meh'ing on it) but the informative posts from Deity have convinced me that a lot of thought went into designing these, and they might be worth trying.

:thumb:
Thanks frorider!

We are always willing to answer questions and appreciate the interest. Honestly, our pedals are just the start of our plans for the next 12 months and the truly exciting gear will be coming later this year...

We think people are going to be pleased.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Hmm, at first i didn't get it, my Deity Decoy LT pedals are allready 350g and i would think would be more durable since they're metal, although a very soft magnesium.

But then again if these are as tough or even tougher with smaller, sharper pins and are 1/2 the price then sweet.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Is the new bodies are that cheap (and pins will be similar) I'll be switching to these. Or the Nuke Proof version since I'm in the UK. Bit heavier than my 280g ti-axled superstar mag lites, but sounds like a good choice to have perpetually fresh pedals at a good price.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Thanks frorider!

We are always willing to answer questions and appreciate the interest. Honestly, our pedals are just the start of our plans for the next 12 months and the truly exciting gear will be coming later this year...

We think people are going to be pleased.
Why do you put a du bushings in the pedal?

Is it to add more drag to the system so the pedals won't spin on you when you don't want them to?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Oh and FWIW, if I was buying deity I'd definitely buy the ti axles if you stocked them.

deitybikeco

Chimp
Nov 11, 2010
Why do you put a du bushings in the pedal?

Is it to add more drag to the system so the pedals won't spin on you when you don't want them to?
The pedal profile is extremely thin and maintaining spindle strength is critical, so all of our pedals use a DU Bushing coupled with 2 micro sealed bearings. The DU Bushing is located near the spindle to crankarm interface which allows the spindle to maximize as much material as possible at this critical location.

DU Bushings are super durable and are one of the only reasons super thin pedals are possible nowadays.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Dear Deity,

I am a parts whore. I have a perfectly functional Boobar for my new Turner DW-DHR, however I have been tempted and shamed to no end by your handlebar. The black chrome on Jason from SickLines bike drew me in like a bug zapper.

I now have bar envy and may never ride my bike again. :(

deitybikeco

Chimp
Nov 11, 2010
I picked up a set of a very similar pedal the other day from Fyxation. Didn't have replaceable pins though. In stock now. http://www.fyxation.com/blog/fyxation-mesa-pedal
That is the stock all plastic HT pedal juanbeegas posted up which, from what I believe, should be changing due to needing more support at the midpoint of both outer pedal surfaces (at least from HT's end). Nevertheless, Fyxations is an all plastic pedal sold primarily to fixed gear riders, so impact issues are probably not as big of a concern (nor is grip). Premium also makes an all plastic thinner pedal that is manufactured from Polycarbonate (not Nylon Fiber)...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Somehow I don't get the internetz etiquette. When Deity posts here it is valuable contribution to the topic, when someone that might be associated with Fyxation posts relevant stuff (he showed another option of plastic pedals) it is SPAM???? :confused: ;)

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Somehow I don't get the internetz etiquette. When Deity posts here it is valuable contribution to the topic, when someone that might be associated with Fyxation posts relevant stuff (he showed another option of plastic pedals) it is SPAM???? :confused: ;)
To be fair, this is willjill's first post, a little suspect if you ask me..

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I picked up a set of a very similar pedal the other day from Fyxation. Didn't have replaceable pins though. In stock now. http://www.fyxation.com/blog/fyxation-mesa-pedal
I :wub: bad marketing copy...

website said:
Features:
- High impact nylon body built to take abuse
- Smooth running DU bushing and double sealed bearings with a cro-moly spindle
- Molded surface pegs for a super grippy ride
- Compatible with most foot retention systems
- At 317 g/pr, these are extremely lightweight platform pedals
- Great crossover pedal for freeride or BM

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I took that to be a joke. In other words... "works with pretty much any shoe - just stand on it foo'!"

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
To be fair, this is willjill's first post, a little suspect if you ask me..
To be fair, Deity has 22 posts on RM, of which 12 are in this thread, 9 are in the "Deity Cryptkeeper" thread and one is a regular comment. A little suspect if you ask me.... :D

deitybikeco

Chimp
Nov 11, 2010
To be fair, Deity has 22 posts on RM, of which 12 are in this thread, 9 are in the "Deity Cryptkeeper" thread and one is a regular comment. A little suspect if you ask me.... :D
Just to clarify from our end...the only reason we posted in the Cryptkeeper frame and Compound pedals thread is simply to answer questions and pass information on the product to people. We love to communicate with the riding community and to be honest, we are always reluctant to join in threads as we have always felt that forums are an open avenue for you guys to discuss things without companies intervening all of the time.

Now...we would never post a comment in a thread about another company's pedals and tell people to check out our pedal that is currently available. I am sure that most of you can recall one or two companies that do such a thing and to me...it is pretty tasteless. Nevertheless, I am sure the poster is not working with Fyxation, so he can do what he wishes...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Just to clarify from our end...
Sorry if it sounded like that, but my comment was not directed against you. Personally I appreciate industry folks being on here and explaining their products. :thumb:
I just thought it was funny that in a thread about plastic pedals someone (admittedly a new user) pointed out another option, adding IMO to the discussion but was accused of spamming.

Back on topic: I hope you bring Ti axle/Al pins options in the future as this would create an even sicker and lighter pedal. :thumb:

willjwill

Chimp
Mar 5, 2011
Got to love the warm fuzzies from the cycling community. I'm new to this site guys and was sharing a little knowledge. I can't wait to see how many people I offend the next time I try to participate in a conversation. Thanks!!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Got to love the warm fuzzies from the cycling community. I'm new to this site guys and was sharing a little knowledge. I can't wait to see how many people I offend the next time I try to participate in a conversation. Thanks!!
dude, it's a community. Stop trying to play martyr and realize that because we ARE a community, and not a pinkbike spamalot forum, we want opinions and insight from MEMBERS of the COMMUNITY, not random posts from 0 post users saying "that well-respected companies' products are good, but here's a pair you can buy now from another company that has no influence in the downhill community"....all while providing a link. You should TRY not to make yourself look like a spammer BEFORE the fact, not after.

As far as this thread goes, deity didn't start it, but they've done their best to answer every question asked, and that's the sign of primo involvement....more companies could learn a lesson from that!

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
dude, it's a community. Stop trying to play martyr and realize that because we ARE a community, and not a pinkbike spamalot forum, we want opinions and insight from MEMBERS of the COMMUNITY, not random posts from 0 post users saying "that well-respected companies' products are good, but here's a pair you can buy now from another company that has no influence in the downhill community"....all while providing a link. You should TRY not to make yourself look like a spammer BEFORE the fact, not after.

As far as this thread goes, deity didn't start it, but they've done their best to answer every question asked, and that's the sign of primo involvement....more companies could learn a lesson from that!
agreed, and thanks to deity for the additional info..