Quantcast

Demo 8 vs. 7 point 7

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I agree with most of the other posters. The 7P is more of a do everything bike and the D8 is more of a DH bike. When set up with equal % of sag the 7P pedals a lot better, but the D8 is plusher. The 7P is more fun play riding on any trail, but the D8 is a better DH race bike. The 7P has a short quick handling wheel base and the D8 has a very long slower handling wheel base.

Final Words:

1. For me I think the D8 would make a nice DH race bike, even though it's wheel base is a good inch longer than my personal DH bike. It seems it would also be a good big drop bike.

2. For me I really like my 7P as a FR bike. It's really fun on anything from DH runs to DJing. It has a small enough wheel base to be fun on single track, but a slack enough head angle to be DH race by someone who doesn't need big travel.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
As everyone said, both are great bikes. I would personally go with the D8 and stick a sc fork on the front. That would help with any wheel base and slackness concerns that you would have. It is also sooo plush....but then I've always been a better to have and not need than to need and not have fan...

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
dw said:
You have obviously never looked at a 7POINT. There are a lot of valid points that a person could make to support either bike one way or another, but this is not one. Both the 7POINT and Demo 8 are built in Taiwan, within minutes of each other, and using materials, and forgings built by many of the exact same suppliers.

Dave
Maverick American is made in taiwan too, are Iron Horses just as good as them? Specialized is not without their problems either, but when IH sells a bike that comes tight and smooth and has a durable good looking finish then you can claim to be just as good. Its not an issue of materials or craftsmanship, its an issue of spec and attention to detail.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Heavy C said:
The 7.7 is more of a 'due everything' ride than the d8. You cant easily take the demo out on a long pedal up to that epic dh
have you ridden a demo8 before? i just walked in from a 7+ mile XC ride on my 47lb demo8 and i didn't have to dismount once...and it's a typical east coast straight up/straight down with wet roots type of trail.
i have a dual ring on the front so i still have a granny gear but as far as getting to the top of the DH run, it's the best climbing, dh worthy bike i've ever owned. climbs even better than my hardtail. the 7.7 sounds like a nice ride but saying that the demo doesn't climb is just plain ignorant.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
You can climb on anything if you try hard enough. 7 miles is hardly long enough to be considered a legit XC ride. The demo pedals just fine for a dh bike but it is still a dh bike.

Heavy C

Chimp
Dec 5, 2001
manimal said:
have you ridden a demo8 before? i just walked in from a 7+ mile XC ride on my 47lb demo8 and i didn't have to dismount once...and it's a typical east coast straight up/straight down with wet roots type of trail.
i have a dual ring on the front so i still have a granny gear but as far as getting to the top of the DH run, it's the best climbing, dh worthy bike i've ever owned. climbs even better than my hardtail. the 7.7 sounds like a nice ride but saying that the demo doesn't climb is just plain ignorant.

Yes I have ridding a Demo8 and I agree it is a very worthy padally dh bike but it is still more tuned to dh. I had a 4 hr up/down/up/down/up/down ride partly in snow this weekend on the 7.7 and certainly would not have completed this on the Demo8.

I have lots of buds ridding the demo and agree it is a great bike but I dont think you can beat the IH for versatility.