Quantcast

DH Bike Sizing Help!

ImILL

Chimp
So basically I am XC guy + dirt Jumper and I am looking to get into DH riding and maybe racing if I like it, but I'm 6'0 tall and 160lbs what size downhill bike should I be on? I ride a Large or 19 inch XC bike...Do I want the same size or a size smaller like a Medium? I heard I should ride a size smaller is this true? I'd appreciate some of your advice thanks!

dreads

Chimp
Oct 10, 2010
same advice as usual, 6 feet is generally in between medium and large so personal preference. Smaller bikes can be easier to handle and larger bikes tend to be a bit more stable at high speeds. Best thing would be to go to your lbs and ride around on a medium and a large and see which is more comfortable

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
agree with the above.

its part personal preference. some people like their DH bikes on the smaller side.

whether you'd be a med or large also depends on the brand and how they size their bikes.

so def try before you buy (if at all possible)

Carcinogen

Chimp
May 5, 2011
Seattle
I'm your size and feel that the medium was better, but it probably depends on manufacturer specs also. I tried a few bikes of the guys that i build trails with and that is what felt best to me.

I 2nd the test em before first suggestions above.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
As others have said, try before you buy. If at all possible, try and get the "reach" measurement figured out... If you find a number fits you well, see if you can calculate the number on different brands.

A bike may say it has a 24 inch TT, but in reality they're all different slightly...

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
medium demo should fit perfectly (new demo's are ****ing long) but on the other bikes you're better off with a large imo. get a ride on a bike with similar reach measurement as the one you want to buy and see how it fits.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm even more confused now. The way his bike feels compared to my large M9, it could be a small instead of a medium. It's clearly marked large... :think:

Again proves the try before buy law...
It's probably his bars/stem setup. My legend felt a bit cramped with a flat bar and a 45mm stem. Went with a 25mm riser, a bit lower 50 or 55mm stem (probably gained 15mm in bar height) and it feels noticably longer.

Imho at 6 feet I'd go mostly with a Large. Especially on the begininng a more stable bike is better than a more agile bike and if it feels too long you can always go with a shorter stem like a 28mm straitline.