Quantcast

DH wheelset

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
If you are 240, and ride like a hack, you're GOING to destroy rims no matter what. Just buy cheap rims (dual dutys) and spokes in bulk.

Otherwise MTX rims are pretty good. They might dent, but they aren't gonna fold.

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
I had 729's before and they definitely are not stronger... they seem a lot softer to be honest, and dent/get flat spots A LOT easier. Your mileage may vary, this was just my experience.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
If you are 240, and ride like a hack, you're GOING to destroy rims no matter what. Just buy cheap rims (dual dutys) and spokes in bulk.

Otherwise MTX rims are pretty good. They might dent, but they aren't gonna fold.
Folded an mtx in 3 spots 3 cracks and a blown seam. 3 months of use

ButtersNZ

Monkey
Jun 6, 2013
I've found my Supra D's (same as Outlaws) to be sturdy. I'm 190 without gear and destroyed my last wheelset over a period of time at the rock garden at my local. I'm faster now, harder on my bike and the Supra's are still looking good after 4 months of abuse.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far!

I exploded several spokes. bent the hoop and flattened part of it on the Revo's

on the SR's I exploded some spokes and cracked the hoop clean through in 2 sections ( not at the weld)

I'm hackish in that I plow and I'm a clydesdale!

so was that thumbs up for the outlaws?

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Outlaws and Transition wheels are essentially the same thing. The rims are soft and dent easily. They are inexpensive.

MTX is a bit stonger.

729 bit stronger still.

Mag 30 or Arrow rims if you want indestructo wheel, but they aren't light.. And you'll just break spokes and hub flanges instead of rims.

If have run 729s for over 10 years. I always get "bored" of the mavic, and try something new (generally because it's a fancy color), kill it with a quickness, and go back to trusty 729.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I don't think you can buy mag 30's anymore. Sun makes some super burly MTX 33 or something that is basically a replica of it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sounds like a wheel build issue to me. 3x 36 spoke 2.0 stainless brass and good tension should keep you rolling....not machine built wheels. M y outlaws were loose in the caboose after a season. My guess is yours did too but you trashed them.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I need the strongest wheels possible and since I'm heavy, weight isn't a concern.
I've got the perfect front wheel for you:
Hadley hub- The most durable
36 straight gauge spokes and brass nipples- The strongest stuff and 4 extra for good measure
Intense Mag30 rim- Unquestionably the strongest rim ever made

I got this when I started DHing to be sure I wouldn't break my wheel but it's way overkill for my weight and riding style, or most people's for that matter. So, it's your's for $150 shipped. It's in new condition. PM me if you're interested.

For the rear do the same thing. The Mag30 rim was more recently sold as the Sun Doubletrack and then replaced by the MTX39. Lace it with 36 spokes to a quality hub.

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Another vote for 823's. I have a set laced to 36 spoke Hadley's that have been going for way too long. 7 years IIRC. I can't even true them any more (they don't really need it actually) cause the nipples have seized to the spokes...

Easton havoc .
MAYBE, the old ones.

Not the new ones...

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I second the 823s. Or go back to 2000 and get some neon green Doublewides =)
823s or Atom Lab Pimp lites are good. MTX good but dent. This is from my experience. Alex from what I've heard.
MAG30/Double wides for sure if you can find them.

729s are tougher than 823s, or most other rims for that matter.
Definatley not from my experience. They are pretty tough, but do dent easier, and not as tacho proof as 823s.

I had 729's before and they definitely are not stronger... they seem a lot softer to be honest, and dent/get flat spots A LOT easier. Your mileage may vary, this was just my experience.
Agreed.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
How I wish WTB still made the Laserdisc DH... My Sun MTX rims barely made it through one season. 22 dents in the back and I forget how many up front(not as many). Same tires and psi on the WTB's with no dents or dings. 5 years old. I'm not light either.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
MTX 31's on Industry Nine wheels. They'll stay true as crap, the rim will get lots of dents, dings and bangs in it and your wheels will always stay true.

Then swap it out every few months. MTX rims are "softer" at the bead and it helps rims from splitting. As long as you keep them tensioned, the MTX stays round and wobble free. Bending a dent in them back iwth the crescent wrench keeps you from pinch flatting and helps them last a little longer.

Replacing an MTX every few months beats waiting to not ride for a warrantied Mavic 823 or suffering with a set of crappy hubbed Outlaws, long waits for replacements on both are trumped by spending your time riding an MTX...or it's replacement.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
MTX rims are "softer" at the bead and it helps rims from splitting. As long as you keep them tensioned, the MTX stays round and wobble free. Bending a dent in them back iwth the crescent wrench cracks the rim, in the unlikely event it wasn't cracked already.
Edited to reflect my experience. That said, I keep buying them because they're so cheap, and I'm running to run a bit more PSI to keep from destroying them so quickly.

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
They're great, very solid, probably the best value anywhere.

Can't speak to 200lb+ riders, but I suspect they'd hold up as well as most anything else out there.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I will give the same answear I always give for 10 years plus.

Hadley hubs Front and Rear
Mavic 729 or 823 rims if your a tubeless man
Keep 25 plus PSI

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
I Have weighed as much as 320# and now down to 260# All fat. I have been on 823's on Hope hubs with Triple Butted DT spokes since 2004 or so. I have never had a failure. I am a bit of a hack, don't jump, and plow everything. I have been building my own wheels since I began riding. I run at high tension with tubless minions @ 32# front and rear.I usually true up in the middle of the season, but check before every weekend to make sure all is ok. I get a good 2 seasons out of the rear and 3 out of the front riding almost every weekend from May to Oct..

Last edited:
east coast rox and Clydesdales dont mix well. Move to oregon. problem solved.
TRUTH!!!!

THANKS for all the input!!

I got a good deal on Azonic outlaws!

I run 32 psi F&R on DHR/DHF combo

I check the tension before every ride day and i check the rims themselves several times a season!

I'm ok with dents. but not fractures or wobbles!

I hope the outlaws hold up!

I'll post back when I run this weekend!!

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
anyone have experience with Spank rims? I don't, but I'm curious.
exactly what i was going to recommend. I just ordered e13 hubs and subrosa 30 rims. I'm 230 without gear and not the smoothest rider and the subrosa 30 evo's have been great. the spike 35, i've heard are even stiffer!

I went with the e13 hubs though bc it just makes the wheel so stiff

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Also, you don't exactly need straight gauge spokes, although they might be cheaper....but they aren't really any stronger.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
^ interesting..

had to google myself, since i always build with regular spokes to save money. ended up on sheldon brown, and what do you know?! learn something new every day :)

edit:
i ended up scrolling down on the same page and also learned that they make spoke washers (for thin flanged hubs).. crazy. learned 2 new things today!

Last edited: