Quantcast

Directions to Beacon

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
We are going to Spokane on Sun to ride Beacon. I have never ridden there. Can somone give me directions? Which exit? Which trails? Anyone want to meet up?

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
get off at argone exit, go north, cross the river and turn left. a mile or two and you're there.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
theres a parking lot and a gravel road goes up to an open field, there is a little free ride/jump spot up a hill to the left, and there is a dirt road that goes up the hill, hike to the top, bomb down, repeat

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Sunday, high NOON at Beacon trailhead. Maybe a little earlier, 11am. How are the trails; dry or muddy?

Yotes

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Olympia, WA
The last two weekends they've been pretty dry, I don't think spokane's gotten much rain since then, so the conditions should be pretty sweet. I'm tempted to head up, but I think 4 weekends in a row may be a little excessive when it comes to gas money. Well, that and moscow mountain is calling, and it's been a few months since I've ridden the cabin trail.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Did anyone make it? We were there... were you?

Beacon was a blast. We got 4 laps in and the trails were PERFECT. I just switched to flats from clipless so I had some problems but it was still fun. If I would have had my clips I might have done a few more drops and jumps. Oh well. Ill learn to ride flats....

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
glad you had fun!!
beacon is always a blast, i wish i had been up there but i need to get done with school...
maybe we can meet up this spring though for some fun riding up there!!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Beacon was a blast. We only had one casualty. One rider had to dump his bike and landed on both feet. He sprained one ankle really bad and broke the other foot. He is in a wheelchair for 3-4 weeks. He will be back.

Yotes

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Olympia, WA
Ouch, hope he has a quick recovery. I missed out on beacon this weekend due to car troubles (my gf's car broke down in spokane, so we had to head back sunday night with some other friends), but may be able to go ride next weekend if we pick her car up then. Did get the mountainboard out today for some ramp work, but it didn't quite make up for it.

rainbow_smoke

Monkey
Sep 19, 2003
Bellingham, WA
several of us went up today, Mon it was a blast! I am able to do more things now! did the upper and lower waterfall! on the old course. I am proud! we'll get some pics up soon!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I finally did the wood ladder, step down, and then dirt jump course. I flowed the entire thing. Man I love that line. The step down is pretty big for me. The dirt jumps are sweet too. I finally cleared all three.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Thats one but there are a few others above it.... I finally did the wood ladder above that and then the big step down gap right before the getto booter. Any pics of the step down gap right before that???? Its fairly big, maybe 10-12 foot drop with a 20ft gap.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
i recall the booter (the peice of wood that drops into the hill fallowed bya tabletop/hip... then 3 doubles) but i only remeber old ****ty tables around the booter

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Right before the booter there is a pretty big gap step down into that little area before the ghetto booter. Its real new. Above that is a wooden drop into a gully.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
ok the upper part is new very new...there is a 7-8foot ladder drop(more like 10 if you have any speed) and then a booter that flows to a stepdown onto the flat area where the wood launch is. the stepdown is like 6 ft down and 12ft our or so out..landing is almost flat...:(

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
yeah the new part is a new trail they are making from the top
there is a couple new stepdowns by rushmore between the old and new courses but its not complete
and on the new course there is a 6 pack before the berm to berm that is kinda challenging

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The wood drop is as big as you want to make it. I thought the step down was bigger than 6ft drop and 12 ft gap..... I thought more like 10 ft drop and 20ft gap, anyway its super fun. The 6 pack is real nice but you really have to carry speed on a DH bike. The last gap is about 8 ft or so maybe a little more.

Speaking of dropping to flat. There is a 5-6 foot drop right at the biginning of the trail at the trailhead where everyone parks. The tranny is a small rock with dirt. I dropped off the rock blind and completely missed the rock and landed flat just to the right of it. ouch. The bike soaked it up so well. I love the 888 and AVY.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
haha i came in there on the 6-pack on the new course and cleared the first one... thought i was goin to slow and pedaled into the middle one, landed couple feet past the tranny and noticed my chain was dropped and popped all i was worth of the last one, made the tranny and costed into the berm to berm and threw a nice whip into the landing...scarry as hell....verdict!!
i need to fix my chainguide...

and yeah the drop onto the rock by the parking is fun
i have never missed the landing but its funny when people do hehe

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Hey thats not funny it could have hurt..... OK maybe not with the 888/Avalanche combo.

Its nice to hear others have missed the tranny, too.