Quantcast

Dishwashers - looking for some advice

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
We have one that was installed when we bought the house... just isn't powerful enough (Kitchenaid). I want one that has power at a level just below what would be required to remove the finish from my dishes.

It pisses me off to have to scrub off dishes before putting them in the washer.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Something about buying a beater house and fixing it as you go...See BS for example.
It doesn't feel any better when you create these types of problems on your own, trust me. Instead of saying, "man, what a dumbass that guy was" you instead say "man, I am such a dumbass" and then you end up paying for it twice.

Like the tile floor with 1/2" gaps that I grouted with grout rated for 1/4" gaps.... that looks real good. Im sure it'll be fun to take out too. Who knew it actually mattered how much space you leave between the tiles when buying grout?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I got my man card revoked last week for a day. I tried to replace the start cord on my Craftsman weed eater. "Simple 5 minute job" said the guy at Home Depot. 20 minutes in with the handle falling into my hand and the internal gear drive rod thingie lie in the dirt, missing bolts...and no closer...I took it to a pro who has worked on it for me in the past.

He didn't want to do it. He tried to suggest I buy a new weedeater! :shocked:
He said it's got tons of stupid tiny parts to get to. He gave me my man card back and patted me on the back for trying. :thumb:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The first diagram is it. That T shaped bit. But how do I take the panel off? It looks like it just pops off. I see no indication that it's held on by screws?
That would be my normal assumption. Pull lightly to start and pull evenly to try and avoid breaking parts.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Mine still isn't working

I have a new motor installed. But when I finally did get the thing out from under the counter, it somehow cracked the discharge hose that connects to the sink. So a new one of those is on order.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Mine still isn't working

I have a new motor installed. But when I finally did get the thing out from under the counter, it somehow cracked the discharge hose that connects to the sink. So a new one of those is on order.
Most children are capable of Chores like washing dishes.... Start them young....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Now send me half of what the repair guy was going to charge you.
Apparently in Asheville, the repair guy is unknown unless he works for Sears. So I didn't bother with that route. I have no idea what it was going to run except that Sears wanted $75.00 for the same part I bought for $30.00 at the appliance parts store.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Apparently in Asheville, the repair guy is unknown unless he works for Sears. So I didn't bother with that route. I have no idea what it was going to run except that Sears wanted $75.00 for the same part I bought for $30.00 at the appliance parts store.
I'll take half the spread then. You can go ahead and paypal me $22.50 to givememoney@gmail.com

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
After nearly 3 months, dishwasher is (apparently) operational again.

Turns out the motor was caked in some gooey, molassessy stuff somehow. No idea how that could happen. And I fixed my little doofus move and installed a new discharge hose today and hooked everything back up. It seems to work.

hooray for me.

Of course we haven't run any dishes in it yet.....

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Additional fail. So it would seem that the reason the dishwasher is sitting in a pit, is because that particular counter was installed directly on the subfloor. So it's actually only 35" tall. The others are ok. ....it was my neighbour that noticed that our stove top sits 1" above the counter top. Not sure why I didn't notice that. Oh yeah. Cuz I'm dumb.
Typically cabinets are installed on the subflooring, but its always best to pull the dishwasher, range & fridge when installing flooring. Sometimes there is a top style right above the dishwasher that can be cut out, that will give you 1"-2" more clearance. Check the range and see if you can drop the feet down a bit. A lot of time you can turn them one direction of another to raise or lower the unit.