Quantcast

DIYers - cutting formica countertops

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've got to do a little demo work here at the office. "They" have asked me to help them cut out a section of countertop from one of the office kitchens. It's formica over some sort of pressboard/particleboard stuff.

What's the best way to cut this stuff? I figured I'd use a circular saw and/or sawzall, but what type of blade should I use so the formica doesn't splinter? I'm only removing part of the countertop, so I need as clean of a cut as possible.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
If it's straight use a circ saw. If it's curved use a jigsaw. Maybe tape some cardboard to the bottom to avoid scratches. Make sure the blade has many fine, sharp teeth and work slow. If you don't, chip city.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
unless your countertop happens to be a 6x6 fence post, i'd stay away from the Sawzall.....

....their destructive capacity is fun tho....
I'm just not sure how else to get up close to the wall. I figured I'd use a 2x4 as a guide to keep the circ saw on a stright line, but the circ can only get so close to the wall. Though, I'm not sure how much closer I'd be able to get with the sawzall now that I think about it...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
you'll need to use a fine-tooth mitre handsaw to finish up against the wall.

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
I am a licensed contractor who cuts this stuff all the time....use some painters masking tape, center it over your cut line (preferably the 1-1/2" wide blue tape) I would use a freud 40 tooth blade. and cut slowly. You will need to finish the cut with a sawzall or jigsaw.