Quantcast

Do all PROS use body armor?

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
i was wondering if all the pros run body armor, and what is the best most comfortable armor to use?

T23

Chimp
Jul 13, 2006
When the course is real fast and has technial rock sections, dainese but like a course like sonoma no pads

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I'd say most of the "older" guys where it more. The younger guys tend to just where lower, although on the nasty courses you will see it on the younger crew these days. Alot of the guys are wearing it, but it's hard to tell.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
That's not true. Most do use body armour. The too cool for armor gang is a new phenomenon, and is going away pretty quickly as sponsors are fed up with injured riders.

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
No armor is a great idea... as long as your 100% sure you won't crash. Some pros are good enough to get away with it. Everyone else isn't

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Transcend said:
That's not true. Most do use body armour. The too cool for armor gang is a new phenomenon, and is going away pretty quickly as sponsors are fed up with injured riders.
Yeah. No body armor is retarded. If anything wear a back plate. Scabs and scars are ok, broken vertebraes are not. People eventually get it though. They just need to get jacked up enough.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Mani_UT said:
Yeah. No body armor is retarded. If anything wear a back plate. Scabs and scars are ok, broken vertebraes are not. People eventually get it though. They just need to get jacked up enough.
I broke 2 vertebrae and my shoulder, both while wearing full upper body armor. :trophy_br

I rarely wear full upper anymore. I do for mud races and places I don't feel comfortable right away. As I get comfortable, I usually switch to just elbow pads.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
psychobiker said:
when i was at the sugar national only about a 3rd were wearing any

Alot more were wearing it than you think I'm sure. There are alot of guys wearing back pads and just elbow guards so they don't really look like they are.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
Some don't and some do. I just use kneepads, personally. I haven't found an upper body armour set that fits me without restricting movement or just feeling uncomfortable yet.

My doctor told my that for one of my major injuries body armour would have made my situation worse. This was just one situation however, and I am in no way advocating that people don't use armour.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
profro said:
I broke 2 vertebrae and my shoulder, both while wearing full upper body armor. :trophy_br
Everything is possible! You can definitely wreck yourself wearing full armor.

On the other hand, all I need to know is that one of my buddies in France skid on pavement crashing his bike. He was fine until he eventually wrapped himself around a tree. Now he is having fun in a wheelchair. With a backplate he would be walking. There are a lot of trees on DH courses. That's all I need to know.

psychobiker

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
charlotte nc
i have the 661 assault upper body suit the back plate saved me from a good scraping on a sharp ledge as i fell backwards after a stall at sugar yesterday. i dont want to feel worse than i already doo

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
konabiker said:
My doctor told my that for one of my major injuries body armour would have made my situation worse. This was just one situation however, and I am in no way advocating that people don't use armour.
What injury is that, that body armour would make worse?

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Zutroy said:
What injury is that, that body armour would make worse?
If you are wearing a back plate, it can restrict your spines natural flexability and result in a more severe injury. This is what I remember from the Steve Wentz article in Decline from a year or 2 ago. I tried to find an archive, but the new Decline site only has a few recent back issues.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
a little over three years ago, i suffered "sudden deceleration trauma"

i have no doubt that the full face helmet AND my upper body suit saved me from at least being paralyzed or worse.

oh, and as far as what doctors say.
after that crash, one said i'd not be able to ride a mt.bike again because of the "jarring effects". :clue:

that's one doctor who never saw the southernrocks trail we have.
or us riding it.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
AtTheGates said:
If you are wearing a back plate, it can restrict your spines natural flexability and result in a more severe injury. This is what I remember from the Steve Wentz article in Decline from a year or 2 ago. I tried to find an archive, but the new Decline site only has a few recent back issues.

How do you say that?

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
hungryleprican said:
How do you say that?
In what language?;)

Are you asking how a spine protector can reduce flexability or cause an injury?

I believe this was according to the doctor of the rider in the article.

the 661 that I have is meant to articulate out and in, but its ability to flex inward is limited and will limit your backs flexability. Flexability helps prevent injury.
I'm not advocating that poeple not wear armor, just pointing out that there are times when wearing armor can be negative. Most of the time armor is going to do its job and protect you.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
AtTheGates said:

Yes, that is what the doctor told Wenz. However, doctors are not experts in injury mechanisms. Some are, but most aren't, and most of the ones that are, tend to specialize in football injuries. One thing about the back pad is yes they restrict bending, but they also transfer that force across a wider area.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Zutroy said:
One thing about the back pad is yes they restrict bending, but they also transfer that force across a wider area.
excatly.
impact dispersal is the name of the game.

it's all about getting back up, laughing and then making another run.
not crashing, lying there, dragging yourself out and missing weeks or months of work and riding.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
After checking out my Dainese shuttle suite and seeing all the scratches in the plastic I am very happy that I ride with body amour. Opposit Profro I have broken two collarbones both time with out my amour.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
dhbuilder said:
excatly.
impact dispersal is the name of the game.

it's all about getting back up, laughing and then making another run.
not crashing, lying there, dragging yourself out and missing weeks or months of work and riding.

There is also a difference is say the way a dainesse or 661 suits spinal protector work, verses something like a roost protector that only goes 1/2 way down the spine. In that case i could see the possiblity for it contributing to the injury, since you would have 1/2 bending and 1/2 not. However, even that situation is extremely rare, or someone woulda sued someone for the injury.

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
Zutroy said:
Yes, that is what the doctor told Wenz. However, doctors are not experts in injury mechanisms. Some are, but most aren't, and most of the ones that are, tend to specialize in football injuries. One thing about the back pad is yes they restrict bending, but they also transfer that force across a wider area.
I am a doctor, and there are some data on the subject. Most of it comes from Moto GP racing, and dianese has been involved in some of it. There is some data from MX, but not really any on MTB DH. There are a few studies from a Doc in Reno (who also rides/ races DH) listing/compiling the types of injuries that happen, unfortunately, they didn't keep track of the type of armor that people wear relative to injury type, only if they had a helmet on.

What people are referring to about the armor making certain injuries worse is all referring to a moto study that showed that if you are wearing a back plate (like the Dianese) ,then although your risk of mild back fractures, like spinal process fractures is less, it actually increases the risk of a neck fracture in a head impact (lawn dart) type of accident. It's thought that if you go head first to the ground, your helmet is likely to skid, causing your neck to hyperextend. The back plate is made not to extend and therefore acts as a big lever arm focusing all the stress to your neck. Thats why most of the road moto guys wear neck peices.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
anyone try wearing the 661 shoulder brace? I just dislocated my shoulder this weekend and I think I might ewar that for a little while when I start riding in a month or so. P.S. the one day I wore armor I think it saved me from shattering my shoulder or worse.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
AtTheGates said:
In what language?;)

Are you asking how a spine protector can reduce flexability or cause an injury?

I believe this was according to the doctor of the rider in the article.

the 661 that I have is meant to articulate out and in, but its ability to flex inward is limited and will limit your backs flexability. Flexability helps prevent injury.
I'm not advocating that poeple not wear armor, just pointing out that there are times when wearing armor can be negative. Most of the time armor is going to do its job and protect you.

Ohh I see how that would work but how many times have you heard of somthing like this happening due to wearing body armour?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
LaytonDH said:
I am a doctor, and there are some data on the subject. Most of it comes from Moto GP racing, and dianese has been involved in some of it. There is some data from MX, but not really any on MTB DH. There are a few studies from a Doc in Reno (who also rides/ races DH) listing/compiling the types of injuries that happen, unfortunately, they didn't keep track of the type of armor that people wear relative to injury type, only if they had a helmet on.

What people are referring to about the armor making certain injuries worse is all referring to a moto study that showed that if you are wearing a back plate (like the Dianese) ,then although your risk of mild back fractures, like spinal process fractures is less, it actually increases the risk of a neck fracture in a head impact (lawn dart) type of accident. It's thought that if you go head first to the ground, your helmet is likely to skid, causing your neck to hyperextend. The back plate is made not to extend and therefore acts as a big lever arm focusing all the stress to your neck. Thats why most of the road moto guys wear neck peices.
i've been seeing a few people showing up here with purpose built neck collars.
i think those are a good idea.

i personally tend to have more confidence when i'm properly armored up.
it is somewhat restricting, but i don't think i've ever really been aware of any mobility issues while i'm in mid run.

and CBJ, you know as well as i that profro is part android.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
LaytonDH said:

Yeah, every so often i hit up medline and pubmed to see what's going on and I haven't been able to find much.