Quantcast

Do any of you Monkeys have a second work from home Job??

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
And if so, what is it and do you like it?

I could use some supplemental income, but it would have to be some type of work from home gig. I'm looking for some ideas.

I wish I were a good wrench - maybe I could open up a home-based bike repair shop, but alas I pretty much suck ass at wrenching.

There must be a few Monkeys who are doing work from home gigs on the side or in addition to their 9-5 gig.

Lemme know what you are up to and how it pays.

Thanks!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MMcG said:
And if so, what is it and do you like it?

I could use some supplemental income, but it would have to be some type of work from home gig. I'm looking for some ideas.

I wish I were a good wrench - maybe I could open up a home-based bike repair shop, but alas I pretty much suck ass at wrenching.

There must be a few Monkeys who are doing work from home gigs on the side or in addition to their 9-5 gig.

Lemme know what you are up to and how it pays.

Thanks!
Real estate... Pays $40k- $$$ per year

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I work on a website for a bike shop. I don't really make much money, mostly I do it in trade for stuff.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
is that a 'work from home' gig N8, or are you cheating us taxpayers by stinting on yr gubbmint job?

You have to give up your early mornings, lunch hours, and evening and a lot of weekends, but you can swing it if you have someone helping you.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was a male gigalo until I hurt my back.

In reality I am working something that will require lots of work and little to no pay off. Details pending.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Medical studies. :drool:

Seriously, MRI psychology studies with no medications and no radioactive contrast agents are a good way to pick up quick cash when you live near a university without doing anything dangerous. As long as you don't mind the clicking.

To actually answer your question, I do some consulting outside of work and it's a good way to supplement the regular income...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
You have to give up your early mornings, lunch hours, and evening and a lot of weekends, but you can swing it if you have someone helping you.

Ain't MizN8 the brains of the operation? I figured your job is to just deal with the surly meth head construction workers.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I am a leathercrafter. I make leather goods (boots, shoes, belts, clothes, pouches, scabbards, etc) for the medieval recreation society I belong to. In the past I have done it mainly for fun with a side benefit being that it paid for my medieval hobby, but I am now in the process of setting it up as a full time thingie. The amount I make is directly related to how much time and effort I put into it. It can be a fun hobby thing and make a few hundred a month making one pair of boots, or it can be a full time thing making enought to pay the rent and all that.

In the past I did web design and sold web hosting but it wasn't worth the effort as I am a really crappy web designer. I can do computer repair as a home based business but after doing it all day for the man the last thing I want to do is fix more computers.
Mike B. said:
I hear meth production pays pretty well around here.
I find that growing pot to be more lucrative. Ounce for ounce it costs more than gold. :p

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Ciaran said:
I am a leathercrafter. I make leather goods (boots, shoes, belts, clothes, pouches, scappards, etc) for the medieval recreation society I belong to. In the past I have done it mainly for fun with a side benefit being that it paid for my medieval hobby, but I am now in the process of setting it up as a full time thingie.

In the past I did web design and sold web hosting but it wasn't worth the effort as I am a really crappy web designer. I can do computer repair as a home based business but after doing it all day for the man the last thing I want to do is fix more computers.
Ciaran - leathercrafter eh?

Have you ever tried to replicate a Brooks saddle? That would be cool as hell if you could make leather bike saddles a la Brooks.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
MMcG said:
Ciaran - leathercrafter eh?

Have you ever tried to replicate a Brooks saddle? That would be cool as hell if you could make leather bike saddles a la Brooks.
I haven't messed with the Brooks saddles, but I can recover pretty much any MTB or road saddle. The hard part is making the base for the saddle.

I also make bondage/adult leather gear.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Back on track MMcG I did some consulting before I took my current job but I'm looking at getting involved in two seperate projects back along those lines very shortly.

Can't go wrong with ebay (hate it myself) if you can find good products that aren't currently saturating the site already. I've got two friends that are/were teachers and did ebay on the side. One has now quit teaching and supports his wife and two kids on ebay (going on 3 years now) and the other clears twice as much on ebay as he does teaching. The full time guy does electronics and the part time guy buys old/antique toys, especially trains, at estate type auctions and sells them on ebay.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I take pictures of the front of properties when a contractor is coming in to do storm sewer or water main work. I take several "before" shots of the houses on all the blocks they are working on. this way a home owner cant blame the contractor for any damage that was there before they started to do the work. pictures dont lie!!
I get $0.75 a picture. usually its between 1000 - 1500 pictures that take me 2 or 3 , 4hour days ( 8-12 hrs of work )

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Ciaran said:
I haven't messed with the Brooks saddles, but I can recover pretty much any MTB or road saddle. The hard part is making the base for the saddle.

I also make bondage/adult leather gear.
So i you had a saddle frame (rails and whatnot), you could make a leather saddle for it?

If so, for how much??

I have thos old Terry road saddle that is useless to me - but the actually frame, or base of the saddle is nice.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I consult on the side from time to time. My last gig was a website that sucks ass for a company downtown. I made $75 an hour and worked 90% from home (or at work when it was slow).

There was a company I worked for a few years ago that is still supported by some big contract that I still support from time to time. I work about 10 to 15 hours a month at $70 an hour.

Back in the good ol' days I also did powdercoating of bike frames on the side. It seemed like I made a little money, but when I looked at the number of hours I would put into most frames and how much I was putting in my pocket, it turned out to be about $8 an hour. Considering I make $30 an hour at my day job and I value my free time it didn't make sense.

I used to be in the National Guard, that was one weekend a month, 2 weeks a year for about $250 a month. It wasn't bad until they started sending people overseas for 18 months at a time. My luck is I am one of the 10% that LOOSES money on active duty because even after all the kickers, it's still nearly a $1000 less a month than I make in my "real" job.

My sister does medical billing for local doctors. She did some online course in it, got certified, then started pimping herself out to a few local docs. She pulls about $4000 a month now and only works 20 hours a month!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I do web design for my 9-5 job, but also do it on the side. I like it... it's fairly enjoyable and I'm fairly good at it, so it all works out. I don't make a ton of money at it, but that's mostly because I don't have the energy to try to drum up business.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've done PC consulting (that is, general purpose - everything from tech support to hardware to teaching) and webpage design, both on top of 9-5 jobs (not both at the same time, though).

Both of them were good to stack on a 9-5 job since you can handle most of your communication through email or on lunch breaks. Also, you can get lots of job hookups through work - hear someone complaining about their computer, mention you do that sort of thing...

If you have a good grasp on market values of merchandise, you can make a few bucks on eBay by buying up stuff when it goes cheap and reselling it. Or, buying up items locally and selling them. It requires some patience and some willingness to deal with all of the morons on eBay, though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
mtbtom said:
So when you tell someone "you're gonna get medieval on their ass" what you really mean is that you are going to fashion a pair of leather trousers for them ?

Too funny.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
binary visions said:
I've done PC consulting (that is, general purpose - everything from tech support to hardware to teaching) and webpage design, both on top of 9-5 jobs (not both at the same time, though).
I did that to some degree a few years ago as well. My wife worked for a local ISP (when those existed). I used to help out folks who had trouble with setups and I would help them over the phone or do house calls.

Only all the clients were old (woodburn has a large senior community) and I felt bad for charging them, so i never did. When the guy that owned the ISP started being an ass about it (he wanted me to charge, then give him a cut), I quit doing it.

With ISP's like Earthlink that have people on hold, local help can get some serious business if you look for it.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
MMcG said:
So i you had a saddle frame (rails and whatnot), you could make a leather saddle for it?

If so, for how much??

I have thos old Terry road saddle that is useless to me - but the actually frame, or base of the saddle is nice.

There is a leather shop in Seattle that can do this for you. It's a great way to recon an old saddle with ripped leather.
My buddy had his covered in baseball leather. It was really durable.

I have a side gig at home. I do machining on the side. Not really something that you can just jump into as it takes years of experience and about $20k startup.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jimmydean said:
Only all the clients were old (woodburn has a large senior community) and I felt bad for charging them, so i never did.
Hah. There's a good business strategy ;)

I undercut the average rate by so much that I never felt bad telling someone how much I charged. I was charging 1/3 of what the local ISP/fix it shop's hourly rate was. Granted, they were overcharging by a bit, but I was still well under the price they were going to get anywhere else.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
binary visions said:
Hah. There's a good business strategy ;)

I undercut the average rate by so much that I never felt bad telling someone how much I charged. I was charging 1/3 of what the local ISP/fix it shop's hourly rate was. Granted, they were overcharging by a bit, but I was still well under the price they were going to get anywhere else.
The guy that owned "Oregon's best Internet" used to sell beef jerky before opening an ISP (funny, I know). It was long distance to both Portland and Salem, so he was the only ISP with a local access number. He hated when people had issues, he just wanted people to pay him money and shut the hell up.

My wife felt bad when they would call because she had no idea what to tell them and he never called the clients back. So she talked me into helping them and off it went. I did get cookies once, but I suck at asking for money.

When he found out I was helping people, he wanted to add it to the monthly bill for "support fees". I told him to f-off and my wife quit.

It's no longer long distance to call Portland, so he closed the Woodburn office.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
I work as a contract editor for a peer-reviewed science manuscript editing firm. Get paid by the page, which is usually a good thing (i.e. when the writing doesn't totally suck). Also do contract thesis and dissertation editing for non-native English speakers/writers. It isn't a ton of money, but it pays for my my rent, bills, and bike habits. Money from the full time job goes straight to the bank (which in turn goes straight back to student loans).

I'm just glad that English is the language of science!

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Internet publisher. I currently make more from my side job than I do from my day job. Obviously, the day job will go away soon (although it's nice having two full time incomes). Internet publishing requires a lot of knowledge to be successful at and can take years of work before any profits are realized. However, once you get to the point that you are making money, I really don't think there is a better job out there.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
BeerDemon said:
Internet publisher. I currently make more from my side job than I do from my day job. Obviously, the day job will go away soon (although it's nice having two full time incomes). Internet publishing requires a lot of knowledge to be successful at and can take years of work before any profits are realized. However, once you get to the point that you are making money, I really don't think there is a better job out there.

internet publisher - what exactly does an internet publisher do?

J

JRB

BeerDemon said:
uhm - you can't even afford an avatar, man. :D

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
MMcG said:
Create Web sites about certain topics and make money from advertising. I'm not going to reveal any high paying niches that could be exploited, but for example you could make a Web site about local concerts in your area, work over time to build up traffic to that site, and then sell ads directly, or simply use a big network like Google for ads. If your site is successful, you can get to a point where the site only requires a few hours of work each month and Google is depositing 3 or 4 figure sums into your bank account every month. Pretty sweet deal.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
BeerDemon said:
If your site is successful, you can get to a point where the site only requires a few hours of work each month and Google is depositing 3 or 4 figure sums into your bank account every month. Pretty sweet deal.
Damn - I'm in the wrong line of work. :(

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
MMcG said:
Yeah. What the heck is an internet publisher?

BeerDemon said:
Create Web sites about certain topics and make money from advertising.
Ahhhh... so Ridemonkey IS your business.

To answer some questions:

- No one's asked for leather pants yet... though leather underwear and codpieces have been requested many times.

- I would want to play with a Brooks saddle before I did any work for anyone. But if I had to hazard a guess I would say somewhere around 100.00 to recover and refoam a saddle like that. Custom handsewn/handmade stuff is expensive. I charge about 400.00 for a pair of boots.
- EVERYONE loves rabbit fur.