Quantcast

Do downhillers wear all that gear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

super rat

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
It just seems like you poo pirates wear a lot of pads and whatnot for riding a bicycle. I mean MXer's wear less gear, maybe they are just tougher.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
super rat said:
It just seems like you poo pirates wear a lot of pads and whatnot for riding a bicycle. I mean MXer's wear less gear, maybe they are just tougher.
Yep, you caught us. :thumb: Were just a buncha of big pussies who wear lots of armor.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
super rat said:
id say a more accurate comparison would be mountain cross and motocross. Downhill is definately more extreme than motocross racing.

Polytics

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
Vancouver, BC, Canadistan
super rat said:
Maybe they are just special?

For most downhill/freeride a good helmet, some knee pads, gloves and maybe some elbow pads are fine. But as soon as you are going down at high speed you realize pretty quick how nice all that gear can be.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
yep, on a side note, MX boots are like half way up the leg and are super hard. we wear about the same amount except weze gotz elbow pards weee. and BTW, just got my rockgardn armor intoday, super sweet stuff

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
super rat said:
First off, I ride dirtbikes and DH bikes. I wear the same amount of gear for both, just a little different stuff. You may not be able to tell, but most MX/dirt bike riders are wearing knee pads under their pants and boots, they are also wearing chest protectors/spine protectors and usually kidney belts too. Some wear elbow pads but not too many. I actually wear my Dianese upper for both DH and Dirtbiking, but I ride a lot of tight wooded stuff and want a little more protection from sticks and getting kabobbed. So I'm not sure where you got your info, but chances are your just trying to be cool and start a flame thread, and don't really know much about anything. Boring.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
zedro said:
i thought it was because we had seperation anxiety?
That, Obsessive compulsive disorder, Napoleon syndrome, and schizophrenia.

On a lighter note, should i get a TLD D2 or SE?

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Sherpa said:
That, Obsessive compulsive disorder, Napoleon syndrome, and schizophrenia.

On a lighter note, should i get a TLD D2 or SE?
Probably which ever one fits you the best! :thumb:

By the way, your flashing pig is really creepy looking....

danielbender

Monkey
Sep 21, 2004
Brazil
DH Diva said:
First off, I ride dirtbikes and DH bikes. I wear the same amount of gear for both, just a little different stuff. You may not be able to tell, but most MX/dirt bike riders are wearing knee pads under their pants and boots, they are also wearing chest protectors/spine protectors and usually kidney belts too. Some wear elbow pads but not too many. I actually wear my Dianese upper for both DH and Dirtbiking, but I ride a lot of tight wooded stuff and want a little more protection from sticks and getting kabobbed. So I'm not sure where you got your info, but chances are your just trying to be cool and start a flame thread, and don't really know much about anything. Boring.

dh and mx?????

Wanna marrie me?

The point is DH hurts more than dirt bikes? i think so!!

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
DH Diva said:
well put, when i ride dirtbikes me and my friends wear more armour then when we go mountain biking, but you just cant tell

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
danielbender said:
dh and mx?????

Wanna marrie me?

The point is DH hurts more than dirt bikes? i think so!!
I think you got it. I've ridden dirt bikes for 4 years now, DH for 6. And I've never messed myself up as bad on a dirt bike as I have on my DH bike. I think I'm lucky though because it seems like when ever I crash my dirt bike, it out weighs me by so much, I just get tossed before the bike or me gets too tangled up in anything.

PS-I'm currently not accepting any marriage proposals, but thank you!

super rat

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
DH Diva said:
I think you got it. I've ridden dirt bikes for 4 years now, DH for 6. And I've never messed myself up as bad on a dirt bike as I have on my DH bike. I think I'm lucky though because it seems like when ever I crash my dirt bike, it out weighs me by so much, I just get tossed before the bike or me gets too tangled up in anything.

PS-I'm currently not accepting any marriage proposals, but thank you!

You must not have enough skill to get going fast enough to get hurt on your dirtbike. What do you ride an XR100?

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
super rat said:
You must not have enough skill to get going fast enough to get hurt on your dirtbike. What do you ride an XR100?
Actually I ride a rejetted CRF230F. When I out grow that, it's on to the CRF250X!! I tried one out the other day at the local honda shop! That is definetly going to be my next bike (with a motor that is).

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
super rat said:
depens, if you ride dirt track theres no trees or rocks to hit, so laying down may not be as bad sometimes. Also MX bikes are inherantly more stable.

but then again, maybe MXers just think its cool to break all their bones and walk funny after 30 :rolleyes:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
zedro said:
depens, if you ride dirt track theres no trees or rocks to hit. Also MX bikes are inherantly more stable.

but then again, maybe MXers just think its cool to break all their bones and walk funny after 30 :rolleyes:
Yeah, and I guess I didn't realize it took mad skills to hurt yourself??

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
So has anyone ridden the CRF250X?? Any ride reviews would be much appriciated!

Sep 29, 2004
super rat said:

yess she does indeed not have the ability to push down on the throttle hard enough.....

dont come into a threa dthinking u have all the answers... also how many mxrs race down rockgardns n aspen groves

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I have a dainese jacket but i dont wear it often mostly when doing big **** or riding at places i dont know to well. Otherwise helmet and leg pads.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
DH Diva said:
So has anyone ridden the CRF250X?? Any ride reviews would be much appriciated!
My friend recently did a magazine shoot-out for all the 05 bikes. He's been riding a very pimped out (has Windhams piston in it, I swear to god) 450F for awhile. Anyway after he tested the new crf250 he said he might switch! I couldn't believe it. He liked the power so much that he is seriousy considering a switch from the 450 to the 250. Yeah the flickability of the lighter bike plays a factor, but thats still a very big statement from a very good rider.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Sir Happypants said:
yess she does indeed not have the ability to push down on the throttle hard enough.....

dont come into a threa dthinking u have all the answers... also how many mxrs race down rockgardns n aspen groves
Well, I ride more trail on my dirt bike than anything. But one thing to remember, when you ride trail, you kinda do things in reverse from if you were freeriding or DHing. YOu want to find the route with the most climbs, because those are way more fun on a moto. It's really hard to F yourself up too bad climbing, even if your haulin.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
ncrider said:
My friend recently did a magazine shoot-out for all the 05 bikes. He's been riding a very pimped out (has Windhams piston in it, I swear to god) 450F for awhile. Anyway after he tested the new crf250 he said he might switch! I couldn't believe it. He liked the power so much that he is seriousy considering a switch from the 450 to the 250. Yeah the flickability of the lighter bike plays a factor, but thats still a very big statement from a very good rider.
That's good to hear. I sat on one and could just barely get my tippy toes down, so I would have to have seat foam cut down, and maybe set the rear shock up a little soft to get some more sag, but it fit! I'm only 5'4" so thats a big deal to me! And it weighs 10 pounds less my bike now does dry. Oh I can't wait to start riding again!

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
DH Diva said:
I'm only 5'4" so thats a big deal to me! And it weighs 10 pounds less my bike now does dry. Oh I can't wait to start riding again!
Get it. You know, just pile up a little mond of dirt so ou can kick it over and your off. The hot start on those things is so good now even if you go down, just get your little mond of dirt, one kick, and you gone.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
ncrider said:
Get it. You know, just pile up a little mond of dirt so ou can kick it over and your off. The hot start on those things is so good now even if you go down, just get your little mond of dirt, one kick, and you gone.
Big bikes on the track isn't too bad, but big bikes in the woods are a little more difficult when your really short. Getting stuck on the down side of a side hill and not being able to reach your kick starter is not fun! I would only need to drop the seat about an inch so thats a reasonable mod to make it fit right.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Yeah that sounds good. Shave the seat more if you need it and sit the sag real low. We don't have woods were I'm from. Just sand. Well mud latley

Status
Not open for further replies.