Quantcast

Do downhillers wear all that gear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
When was the last time u saw a dirt biker go flying through a wooded trail down steeps of 80% and huck off 20 foot rocks into rock gardens? plus dirtbikes have 16 inches of travel and we do just as big of jumps... there are guys doing 50 footers with no problem on dh bikes.

the last time i was at windrock i actualy rode my bike on a dirt bike trail and i was going alot faster than the mx'ers and the trail was very easy...then i rode on the bike trails and it was 10 times harder...

btw most dhers where most of the gear for confidence when racing..i only wear gloves helmet and leg pads when just riding around.

try this with no gear

super rat

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
Yeah that's a good idea, spin all the prelaod out of the shock spring. Do you know anything about dirt bikes other than who's piston your buddy has in his bike?

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
ncrider said:
Yeah that sounds good. Shave the seat more if you need it and sit the sag real low. We don't have woods were I'm from. Just sand. Well mud latley
This is of course just day dreaming for when I need more CC's than my current bike can put out for me. So far, just rejetting it, opening up the air box, and taking the factory stop out of the muffler has done wonders for the power from what it was stock and it took all of about an hour to do it all. It will probably be another year before I need a new bike, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared! :)

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
super rat said:
Yeah that's a good idea, spin all the prelaod out of the shock spring. Do you know anything about dirt bikes other than who's piston your buddy has in his bike?
haha...At what point did he say spin out all the shock preload? If i'm not mistaken, adjustable preload is there for a reason...

super rat

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
Yeah to adjust for different rider weights, and a very small amount for set up, a few mm not inches.

Try that on your little bicycle.

super rat

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
I hear ya, I don't know how this took such a wacky turn. I just think DH'ers wear a lot of gear and I thinks it's to look cool, that's all.

super rat

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
bullcrew said:
It's amazing the stupidty some people bring into this world, a condom would have prevented it.
Did you think that up all on your own? You're clever, very clever.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
bullcrew said:
It's amazing the stupidty some people bring into this world, a condom would have prevented it.
amazing isnt it? people say wearing protection as in armor is cool, yet no protection while having sex? sounds a little fishy, or is that the smell? haha

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
and i think that mxers put stickers all over there bikes just to look cool to

there are altho some rich kids out there who buy all the gear in the world just to look cool...but most pros buy the gear for confidence and from getting all banged up in rocks.

if u buys a 1000$ worth in gear just to look cool ur pretty stupid

super rat

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
That pic I posted is not just a table top, it's a Bubba scrub. See how he is only 3 foot of the ground? That's the impressive thing not just laying it flat, If you have any more questions feel free to ask, I'll help you when I can.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
MMike said:
What a pussy......
I don't much like this Rat guy but I gotta stand up for Stewart. He is probably going 60 or 70mph there and is going to land in asplit second sideways crossrutted and with the throttle pinned. Stewart is a badass.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
No doubt...It's just funny to see the rat trying to portray motocross as ultimately hardass. When did Bubba stop wearing purple?

super rat

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
gschuette said:
I don't much like this Rat guy but I gotta stand up for Stewart. He is probably going 60 or 70mph there and is going to land in asplit second sideways crossrutted and with the throttle pinned. Stewart is a badass.
Well I like you Mr. gschuette. You seem like a real stand up guy.....

nickaziz

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
super rat said:
That pic I posted is not just a table top, it's a Bubba scrub. See how he is only 3 foot of the ground? That's the impressive thing not just laying it flat, If you have any more questions feel free to ask, I'll help you when I can.
Have you considred shooting yourself? I think it would be a good idea.

super rat

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
Where is all of this anger coming from Mr. Aziz? I think you need to look inside of yourself and I don't mean by squatting over a mirror. You need to find the inner you, or something.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
All for all, it's good to have a smack talk thread once in awhile. Everyone needs to relax and remember that this is so blatant and atagonistic that it's a good way to put your keen ability and clever pot shots to use.
Hell I gotta alot that's one of the bonuses to being married, frustration.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I'd have to say that the trend of DH'ers not wearing armor is more about looking cool and badass than wearing armor is. Armor is hot and bulky and I hate it right up until I go down on a course like Idaho where you are going to land on a rock for sure. I know super rat isn't trying to have a real discussion but it's a decent one to have anyway. I wore armor at every race this year but I may loose it for some courses this year if I start crashing less. Riding without armor is just way more comfortable.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
super rat said:
Try that on your little bicycle.
Hmm... 360's (proper ones), barspins, bikeflips, etc... what was that, FMX bikes are changing to incorporate bmx tricks in their routine? Oh, my, try that on your big motorbike.
Pissing contests only end up with people getting pissed off from being pissed on, why bother?

slowseth

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Rik said:
Hmm... 360's (proper ones), barspins, bikeflips, etc... what was that, FMX bikes are changing to incorporate bmx tricks in their routine? Oh, my, try that on your big motorbike.
Pissing contests only end up with people getting pissed off from being pissed on, why bother?
i love being pissed on, since im a cesspool and all

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
super rat said:
It just seems like you poo pirates wear a lot of pads and whatnot for riding a bicycle. I mean MXer's wear less gear, maybe they are just tougher.
Ok ok ok ... let's compare

First I'll state that I don't dirtbike so if my terminology is off, forgive me.

You can't compare a Downhill mountain biker to a Motocross racer. I've been to a motocross race, I saw dudes jump perfectly setup table tops run around a track that was composed of trucked in dirt. No skinnies, no rocks, no imperfect drops, no trees etc. So if you want to compare Motocross to mountainbiking, you should probably look at dirtjumpers.

Here we have a mountainbiker who dirtjumps : http://photo.pinkbike.com/photo/434/pbpic434267.jpg

Here we have a motocross racer :
http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/Mx/CRTurn m.jpg

who has less pads? Certainly not those wooptydo junkies....

So in response to your original question..I ask,

DO THEY?

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/reviews/flak/

hey why's that dirtbiker wearing our armor? Must be the runt of the litter, cause we all know those 250cc-ers are TOUGH

super rat

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
I just like bicycles, I grew up racing BMX, I've always ridden road bikes and XC, I just think DH is gay, seriously. I think you guys, for the most part, have moto envy, MXer wannabes if you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.