Quantcast

Do Hill, Peaty etc. run air Boxxers or not?

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Easy. Because one can; and because some people will simply want to buy at the high-end for the sole fact that it is high-end. Hardly a new idea idea, and one can find such examples in almost any consumer market.:huh:
Well again we are arguing apple and oranges here, but you do bring up a good point!
I agree that your above statement is probably true, but I certainly do not think that is the most honest way to market or sell a product especially with long term customer loyalty in mind, yeah sure you and I know exaclty what we are getting with either fork, but what if we didn't? Would we be utterly dissapointed to find out that a good portion of the $1400 we spent on the fork was marketing for suckers?. Lets assume the manufacturing costs are app the same, and the performance gains of the WC over the Team are truly negligible, then the only other way (besides the marketing practice of jacking the price on a "high end" product to make it seem special or whatev) Rockshox could justify the large markup in price over the Team is by the larger forecasted warranty costs of the WC over the Team, which agian is just another great argument for buying the Team over the WC.

Laaz

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
A quick question. My team seems to be litle softer that i would like, and I cant find the firm spring. I was thinking of gluing a air valve into the top cap. Would this make the fork a litle more progressive?

Thnx

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
if you get it right, I'd guess so. I think the main reason why people still but WC over Team, is just because WC is lighter. If I had the money, I'd get WC over Team and fit them with the new 08 lowers and add the spacers so they'd rap up better. I have a friend with WC and what he does to get some stiction of is he loosens the end caps at the bottom, compreses the fork a bit, and whilst compressing, has someone tighten the bolts up again so there is some negative air and the fork will have less trouble compressing in the begging. Anyone heard of this?

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
spring won't fit. i posted this question a few weeks ago
I spoke to tim(tftuned) about this a while ago and even the extra firm spring will be for a rider about 120lbs max, and as somone said you need to space it out with all travel or preload spacers.

jurys still out for me on air vs coil, i love the reduced weight and to some extent the feel of the airs but i always feel you have to use more damping with the airs as the rate is real liniar and soft through the first part and then suddenly goes super progressive in the last one or two inches meaning you need to use the lsc and floodgate to hold them up$ but then they loose a lot of small bump sensitivity and if you put more air in you just essentialy loose travel and they never gt near to bottoming. Then again coils arnt as smooth but as you dont need as much damping in the end they are smoother. may try the preload spacers with the air when i get them fixed.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
someone needs to invent the titanium spring for the new boxxers, theyd be rich
told that to krispy at go-ride months ago.........it would be ever so slightly heavier than the air one, actually could even be a wash because you're getting rid of the whole air assembly.......and it would ride better than both the steel coil, and the air one......you could buy a team with a ti spring pre installed for dirt cheap

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
told that to krispy at go-ride months ago.........it would be ever so slightly heavier than the air one, actually could even be a wash because you're getting rid of the whole air assembly.......and it would ride better than both the steel coil, and the air one......you could buy a team with a ti spring pre installed for dirt cheap
My friend has the world's sickest frankenfork. He's less than 120 so he's riding a ti spring, some air assist thing, nickel stanchions, and '08 lowers.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Sam Hill's fork is made from the melted metal of Excalibur and Robocop...

He runs 125psi of human blood in the left leg of his fork for extra firmness on rough tracks and fills the right leg with banana pudding for a post-race snack.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado

He runs 125psi of human blood in the left leg of his fork for extra firmness on rough tracks and fills the right leg with banana pudding for a post-race snack.
Actually I heard the Lady of the Lake appeared at his house and handed him the fork, and told him to return it when he retires.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)

yea. . . he takes the blood from his native kangaroo's, but it doesnt matter because his bike riders for him, hes just a passenger :)

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
No it wouldn't, and no you couldn't.
yes it would, and yes you could

the air spring feels horrible due to the "hammock"....that's not even worth arguing because it's a known fact that's inherent in the design of any air sprung shock....and yes, i've ridden and owned a perfectly tuned one.....i now own a fox, and after only a few rides, the boxxers are in my opinion, a total joke......but, getting back on track, a world cup retails for $1600.....compare that to $1100 for a team plus about $250 for a ti spring, and the world cup cost much more......the only problem is that no one has been bothered to get a hold of renton spring and have them make springs that work.......it would be a much better fork all around, no question

TommyT

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
yeah are u kidding me? boxxers are an amazing downhill fork! the wc's are awesome too. personally i think the team and wc are really the same deal... they both feel amazing and are great for DH. The wc is nice and worht the extra cash because u can tune your suspension any way u want! just put in more or less air pressure. thats why the wc is the top of the line fork...infinite adjustablilty to ridign style and weight. i cant belive u would call the boxxer line a joke.... u cant be serious? honestly how could u actually say they dont feel good? its a top end fork! theres no difference at all between marzochi, fox or rock shox... there products are so high end it doesnt matter. how could u say a boxxer is a joke and then be happy with a fox 40? sounds like u need to get out and ride.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Yea, they´re all great products. But some of us are Boxxer guys and others ain´t. That´s just how it is. ;)

I like the "get rid of the black-box speed stack mod". It´s fast.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
yeah are u kidding me? boxxers are an amazing downhill fork! the wc's are awesome too. personally i think the team and wc are really the same deal... they both feel amazing and are great for DH. The wc is nice and worht the extra cash because u can tune your suspension any way u want! just put in more or less air pressure. thats why the wc is the top of the line fork...infinite adjustablilty to ridign style and weight. i cant belive u would call the boxxer line a joke.... u cant be serious? honestly how could u actually say they dont feel good? its a top end fork! theres no difference at all between marzochi, fox or rock shox... there products are so high end it doesnt matter. how could u say a boxxer is a joke and then be happy with a fox 40? sounds like u need to get out and ride.
wow, just because its so called 'top end' it magically would suit any rider and any riding style?:shocked: some people prefer different feeling forks, so get over it....

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001

hahaha.....yeah, i totally need to get out and ride, you're right, i'm off the back......

TommyT

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
nahhhh not even dh-kid, i just dont see how this guy can call the boxxer line up a joke while being totally happy with a fox 40. The difference between these 2 high end forks is so minimal! seriosuly its the same deal in the end.... look at your favourite wc hero's for instantce.. whatever there riding is given to them as sponsorship....i dont think they could care less if there on a fox or boxxer. They dont care because good riders adapt. Look at brendan fairclough.... he just went from and orange single pivot to a honda gangster pivot to now an ironhorse sunday with a dw-link. He adapts to what hes riding because good riders can ride anything on anybike! Now i may understand if riders preffer a more moto style fork such as an inverted shiver or avalanche as oppose to a boxxer wc ment for racing. That i can see as personal preference...but to compellty disregard the boxxer series and call it a joke while riding around on your new fox 40 is just dumb. This really sounds like a case of hearing the wrong information on internet chat forums.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
nahhhh not even dh-kid, i just dont see how this guy can call the boxxer line up a joke while being totally happy with a fox 40. The difference between these 2 high end forks is so minimal! seriosuly its the same deal in the end.... look at your favourite wc hero's for instantce.. whatever there riding is given to them as sponsorship....i dont think they could care less if there on a fox or boxxer. They dont care because good riders adapt. Look at brendan fairclough.... he just went from and orange single pivot to a honda gangster pivot to now an ironhorse sunday with a dw-link. He adapts to what hes riding because good riders can ride anything on anybike! Now i may understand if riders preffer a more moto style fork such as an inverted shiver or avalanche as oppose to a boxxer wc ment for racing. That i can see as personal preference...but to compellty disregard the boxxer series and call it a joke while riding around on your new fox 40 is just dumb. This really sounds like a case of hearing the wrong information on internet chat forums.
Honda gangster pivot! hahahaha

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
They dont care because good riders adapt. Look at brendan fairclough.... he just went from and orange single pivot to a honda gangster pivot . . .
um, the honda is a single pivot as well. but feel free to explain what a gangster pivot is.

Now i may understand if riders preffer a more moto style fork such as an inverted shiver or avalanche as oppose to a boxxer wc ment for racing.
upside down, or right-side-up it's the internals that make the difference.

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
Coil forks always use oil as a damper, Chris. Did you hit your head this morning?

was refering to the 125psi of blood

you can't compress (pressurize) pure liquid.

I was kind of half being an idiot, but it just didn't make sense to me.

if you can compress liquid, then your disc brakes wouldn't work, ie that's why they are spongey when you get air in the lines.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
was refering to the 125psi of blood

you can't compress (pressurize) pure liquid.

I was kind of half being an idiot, but it just didn't make sense to me.

if you can compress liquid, then your disc brakes wouldn't work, ie that's why they are spongey when you get air in the lines.
I am completely aware, I was being funny. :disgust1:

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
Did they have unicorns too? If so, they were imported.
staight from wikipedia: (which we all know is totally accurate but whatever)

The wizarding world in which Harry finds himself is both completely separate from and yet intimately connected to our own world. While the fantasy world of Narnia is an alternative universe and the Lord of the Rings’ Middle-earth a mythic past, the wizarding world of Harry Potter exists alongside ours and contains magical elements analogous to things in the non-magical world.