atlanta
Originally posted by Serial Midget

Here's what they got:

wrist = 6.5
biceps = 12.0
chest = 39
waist = 34
hips = 37 (center of ass)
Thighs = 23.5 (one 23.25 the other 23.75)
Calves = 14

All this equal 16.2. If I was able to loose 10 lbs I would be under 10%, for the slow twitch stuff I do they felt this would be ideal.

I will say they are not shy about touching. I didn't think about bringing trunks so I did the whole thing naked. Strange but it was in the men's fitness center. I had a towel when the lady nurse came in to do blood pressure. Mine was 46 (RHR) after 15 minutes of sitting down. They are pretty thorough.
just curious, so i can do some comparisons but where along your calf did they do the measurements and the thighs as well, also how tall are you?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by indieboy

just curious, so i can do some comparisons but where along your calf did they do the measurements and the thighs as well, also how tall are you?
I'm 5ft7. They wanted me relaxed. Calves where measures at widest area, about 3/4 the way up. The final measurement on my thighs ended up being pretty high, about 2" below my crotch. This was at the widest area. The took multiple measurements and then discussed them before chooing the one they wanted. These measurements were not entirely for BMI alone. They had me for 45 minutes and 2 sets of students and one nurse.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta

I'm 5ft7. They wanted me relaxed. Calves where measures at widest area, about 3/4 the way up. The final measurement on my thighs ended up being pretty high, about 2" below my crotch. This was at the widest area. The took multiple measurements and then discussed them before chooing the one they wanted. These measurements were not entirely for BMI alone. They had me for 45 minutes and 2 sets of students and one nurse.

wonder what my measurements would be i'm pretty damn scrawny. if you were there that long did you atleast get the nurse's digits man?!?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande

wonder what my measurements would be i'm pretty damn scrawny. if you were there that long did you atleast get the nurse's digits man?!?
Hahaha!!! Nope but I did freeze my nuts off! Cement floor was cold. :p

Also remember that I am 37 - you tend to carry more weight as you get old. :mad: For my height I should be 3 to 4 inches trimmer around the middle.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta

Hahaha!!! Nope but I did freeze my nuts off! Cement floor was cold. :p

Also remember that I am 37 - you tend to carry more weight as you get old. :mad: For my height I should be 3 to 4 inches trimmer around the middle.
yeah i bet :D lol jk buddy, but yeah man you froze your ass off for NOTHING!! LOL bet the cement floors would relate all back to the "shrinkage" thread!!!

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
I have a Tanita scale. Seems to be pretty good. Still fluctuates with my hydration levels, time of day. Seems to varies more for women (mentions that in the manual). It shows me around 20- 22%. Haven't checked it against the calipers.

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
I had mine done last year, and it was around 15%. It's probably still the same now. I'd love to get it down to 12%.....just to see that six pack. Even if it was just for one day....

mrsdove

Chimp
Aug 7, 2002
Denver, CO
woo hoo! It says my body fat is even at 20%. Not bad for having a baby 9 months ago. That makes me feel great! I do want to get it down a little lower though...I'll keep working on it!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I was told at my dunk test that any bodyfat reading below 7% in men is cause for concern, readings below 5% are cause for serious medical concern. I quickly browsed the net to see if what I was told was true - there seems to be a lot of information indicating that 3% bodyfat is not healthy.

bURKeNSTiEN

Chimp
Nov 18, 2002
Aww-stray-lee-ah
I dont know how accurate that site is but then I've never had it measured before.
I did go & have a gym assessment again last week & they got the calipers out on me, was 4-5mm on my legs/arms/back but my gut was about 12mm (mmmmmmm beeeeer):cool:

oh and it said 14.4% for the first test & 14.2% for the second test

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i don't know how healthy Acadian is, but around TdF time, LA is about 4%. kid i went to high school with was 5% during the football season.

Estimate 1 - 14.6%
Estimate 2 - 11.8%

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
during race season i'm about 6% but right now i'm about 8-9%
I know our local high school athletic program will not allow the boys to participate in some sports (wrestling, football) if their body fat is less than 7%. This is for liability reasons and probably does not translate to highly trained athletes such as Lance Armstrong and Acadian... ;)

Remember that I am 38; at my dunk test I was told that it was not generally healthy for men my age to be below 7%, this level is probably different for younger age groups.

indieboy: how much medical supervision do you receive during your training season?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
I know our local high school athletic program will not allow the boys to participate in some sports (wrestling, football) if their body fat is less than 7%. This is for liability reasons and probably does not translate to highly trained athletes such as Lance Armstrong and Acadian... ;)

Remember that I am 38; at my dunk test I was told that it was not generally healthy for men my age to be below 7%, this level is probably different for younger age groups.

indieboy: how much medical supervision do you receive during your training season?
little if none.....

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Huh-oh... :eek: :eek: :eek: Be careful... :)
i am, i generally eat pretty well, get enough sleep when i'm out of the clubs, drink pleeeeeeeeeeeeeenty of water (friends are always messing w/ me b/c i always have a water bottle in my hand), and i take my vitamins. i generally get sick when the seasons change.