Quantcast

DOC Frame problems

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has experianced any cracking around the area where the seatstays meet the top tube. I just noticed some cracks there while cleaning my frame, I have a 2005 and I noticed that some of the newer 2006 frames appear to have been beffed up in this area. I hope this will be covered under warranty?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
dropmachine.com said:
One of my team guys cracked his, right across the chainstays.
Are you sure? Did he do that today? I haven't heard or seen a word about one cracking on a chainstay... Heck, only one of our team riders (Hacksaw) cracked a seatstay, and his weight and riding level are pretty off the chart compared to most normal (and abnormal) humans. Chainstays are 0.049 4130. You would have to do something serious to even touch them.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
DIRTWRKS said:
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has experianced any cracking around the area where the seatstays meet the top tube. I just noticed some cracks there while cleaning my frame, I have a 2005 and I noticed that some of the newer 2006 frames appear to have been beffed up in this area. I hope this will be covered under warranty?
Your warranty consists of a replacement policy on manufacturing defects, and a crash replacement policy. If you sent in your warranty information when you bought the frame then you should contact Evil at support@evilbikes.com.

Dave

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
DIRTWRKS said:
Relax, of course I will contact EVIL but I just wanted to know if others had seen this problem or is this an isolated case.
sorry, i've heard that question so many times it's a knee jerk reaction...

change of design can be an indication of a potential problem... :hot:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
dw said:
Did he do that today? I haven't heard or seen a word about one cracking on a chainstay... Heck, only one of our team riders (Hacksaw) cracked a seatstay, and his weight and riding level are pretty off the hcart compared to most normal (and abnormal) humans. Chainstays are 0.049 4130. You would have to do something serious to even touch them.
No, this was back in...had to be October I think. Its been a while. I can ask him about it. It was warrantied though, no questions asked.

Mine is still going strong, and I love it. I only wish it came with the 16" Seattube option as well, since I crank the post up high on mine and take it trail riding too. :)

God I love that stupid bike.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
dropmachine.com said:
No, this was back in...had to be October I think. Its been a while. I can ask him about it. It was warrantied though, no questions asked.

Mine is still going strong, and I love it. I only wish it came with the 16" Seattube option as well, since I crank the post up high on mine and take it trail riding too. :)

God I love that stupid bike.
It has to be a seatstay though, right? I mean, a chainstay (unless it was ground through) would be pretty tough to hurt unless it was a major crash. The chainstays and seatstays on a DOC are the same as 95% of other steel dirtjumpers out there. They are about the only "standard" parts on the bike really... :)

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
dropmachine.com said:
You need a Soveriegn!

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
dw said:
You need a Soveriegn!
I agree with Dave, I got a sovereign as a crash replacement last april/may and I love it. Dave do you have any pictures of the "change" in the seatstay/TT area, if there was one? It wouldn't have helped my DOC but i'm interested in the change.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dw, I have an incredibly stupid question, I recently bought my soveirgn and still have the warranty card here...Where is the serial number on the frame?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
zedro said:
change of design can be an indication of a potential problem...
shouldn't change of design come during months and months of testing and FEA?

not that i'll ever have to worry about pushing a frame that hard...i don't think.

still happy to have another DOC in my possession.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
the Inbred said:
Uh, are you implying that even months of testing and a ton of FEA is a substitute for years of abuse by the general population, each of who treat their bikes differently?

Things break, designs change... That's life :D

Anyway, hope the original poster gets everything sorted.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
the Inbred said:

not that i'll ever have to worry about pushing a frame that hard...i don't think.

still happy to have another DOC in my possession.
FEA testing, and real world testing are a continuing process. If we see an area that we think we can make something better, then we do it. Look at the Imperial. That bike has seen 4 incarnations in its time. Good enough is just not in the vocabulary.

I have news for you, the DOC and Sovereign are changing again for 07. New tubesets, improved parts. Its all about making things the best we can.

Dave

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
manhattanprjkt83 said:
dw, I have an incredibly stupid question, I recently bought my soveirgn and still have the warranty card here...Where is the serial number on the frame?
It's on the Non driveside dropout. It took me a few months to find it.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
binary visions said:
Uh, are you implying that even months of testing and a ton of FEA is a substitute for years of abuse by the general population, each of who treat their bikes differently?

Things break, designs change... That's life :D
nah, just implying that months of FEA and real world testing (and 13mos of public buying/ riding) would hopefully catch anything that might actually be an issue.

the only good news i could use from Evil right now is either the introduction of a 4" slalom-esque frame (dw-link moreso than the name on the frame), or optional v-bosses for DOCs.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
the Inbred said:
the only good news i could use from Evil right now is either the introduction of a 4" slalom-esque frame (dw-link moreso than the name on the frame), or optional v-bosses for DOCs.
OMG like a slopestyle type rig? That would be the answer to my prayers right now...

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
dw said:
FEA testing, and real world testing are a continuing process. If we see an area that we think we can make something better, then we do it. Look at the Imperial. That bike has seen 4 incarnations in its time. Good enough is just not in the vocabulary.

I have news for you, the DOC and Sovereign are changing again for 07. New tubesets, improved parts. Its all about making things the best we can.

Dave

Oooh, like dropping weight on the Sov to make it better for the trail-herbs like myself?

I'd like your guarantee that you won't be putting a bottle opener on these frames anytime soon too!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I say for the DOC, you offer a V-Brake version and a disc version 'cause having both looks ugly and cluttered IMO.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Bicyclist said:
I say for the DOC, you offer a V-Brake version and a disc version 'cause having both looks ugly and cluttered IMO.
You realize that just doing that one thing means they need to produce 4 extra products to stock?

Red, short v-brake
Red, long v-brake
Black, short v-brake
Black, long v-brake

That means they have to manage 4 new production runs, predict inventory levels for 4 new products... Probably not something a small frame manufacturer like Evil is going to take on - I wouldn't hold your breath ;)

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
dw said:

Dave

Come on Dave, your FEA model should examine all possible failure modes. Didn't you DFMEA include a recommended action of a FEA on if the bike falls off someone's bike rack at 80mph?

BTW: That was a joke. As an engineer, you need to follow some steps when designing anything:

1) set target requirements (how is it going to be used)
2) design to meet targets
3) build some parts
4) test the parts to the targets
5) Sell product
6) evaluate product performance in the real world.
7) evaluate if the targets meet the real world requirements and if not update the target requirements

It's an evolution. Just be glad the Evil/E13 isn't doing the initial product testing on consumers as many manufactures have done in the past.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Bicyclist said:
That would be quite a complicated process. They are allready offering four frame options and each frame has different color options as well.
D.O.C.- Red and Black
Sovereign- Grey, Green, Blue, Black
Imperial SL- Black
Imperial- Black, Green, Brown, Yellow, Red, Orange, Blue, White, More?

Then the D.O.C. and Sovereign Frames are offered in Regular and Long sizes. That is 21 different options that they have to keep on hand and in stock, ready to go when someone is ready to order. If they added a V- Brake version D.O.C. then they would need to keep atleast 4 more (Regular Black V-Brake, Regular Red V- Brake, Long Black V- Brake, and Long Red V-Brake) options of frames on hand and ready to go. For a small operation like Evil this could become and allready is a pretty challenging task. But the V- Brake option has been thought about and maybe someday it could become a reality. I agree that is would be a cool option for those individuals that prefer using V's.

On another note, I love my Sovereign. :love:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Tame Ape said:
Oooh, like dropping weight on the Sov to make it better for the trail-herbs like myself?

I'd like your guarantee that you won't be putting a bottle opener on these frames anytime soon too!
I am not going to say never, but the chances that a bottle opener makes it onto an Evil frame are VERY low. I try to make sure every sqaure millimeter of material on the bike is there for a purpose.

No sneaks on what the new bikes will hold, but there will be some nice points I think.

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
the Inbred said:
optional v-bosses for DOCs.
Originally we planned to offer soem bolt-on style v bosses, ALA the old Balfa Minuteman. Never really got around to it though... We'll see how it goes :)

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Having 24/26" V mounts would be a great idea, and be pretty easily accomplished too I would think. For those that argue that they don't want the extra weight, gimme a break. That isn't whats making your bike heavy.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
dropmachine.com said:
Having 24/26" V mounts would be a great idea, and be pretty easily accomplished too I would think. For those that argue that they don't want the extra weight, gimme a break. That isn't whats making your bike heavy.
gravity is? The tiny blackhole under me is? Magnets under my steel bike is? My lack of a DW-link is?

If you were refering to the bottle opener, its just some corny "we work hard so we play hard" nonsense that never needed to be invented.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
binary visions said:
:stupid:

V-brakes are dead. Let it go :D

Obviously you don't dedicate the majority of your riding to the streets and park. Try grinding a rail on your disc side of your frame and see how long your disc lasts. Try doing side hop's to the disc side of your bike and see how long a rotor will last. Sometimes function out weighs performance....

Not that I'm against Disc's, I love disc's on my moutain bikes, but on my street rig it's expensive.... (replaceing rotor's ever other day)

Also for tech street moves, (pedal kicks included) I really like the feel of a rim brake better...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
scurban said:
Obviously you don't dedicate the majority of your riding to the streets and park.
Sorry, I guess my smilie wasn't enough of an indication. I was (mostly) kidding. :)

Discs have surpassed rim brakes in almost every way but I do understand that there are certain applications where a rim brake may still be desirable.