Quantcast

Does anybody read [books] anymore?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
He's the former Greek Minister of Finance no? He seemed to be popping up on lots of TV talk shows and such... embarking on a lucrative speaking tour is he?

I'm not trying to disparage the book at all... curious to hear your thoughts.
He is that guy.
I liked the book. I got about 80% through before it was due back at the library. The list interesting thing to me was the lens he used to summarize the development on international finances in the 1900’s. Worth reading just for the first 100 pages.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Recently I read Blind Mans Bluff, about the submarine cold war between USA and Soviet Union. Fascinating stuff! I had no idea so many US and Soviet submarine collisions took place.

Now I am reading Blood Red Snow, the personal journal of a German machine gunner on the Eastern Front.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Just finished The Wind Through the Keyhole in the Dark Tower series. Digging the series so far.

You mean hate them more?
Just got this shirt recently...definitely helps deliver the message whenever I'm in public places.

Recently I read Blind Mans Bluff, about the submarine cold war between USA and Soviet Union. Fascinating stuff! I had no idea so many US and Soviet submarine collisions took place.

Now I am reading Blood Red Snow, the personal journal of a German machine gunner on the Eastern Front.
I read Blind Mans Bluff, and yeah, pretty startling to hear how closely those subs followed each other . Super like to hear your thoughts on the eastern front book.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Just finished a pair of books

Hilerman book was a Hillerman book. Pulpy mystery, but on the Rez. Somehow I'd never read this one.

This one was a lot more heady.

Great book; work sucks.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I read Blind Mans Bluff, and yeah, pretty startling to hear how closely those subs followed each other . Super like to hear your thoughts on the eastern front book.
I am about half way through Blood Red Snow. I take it in short bursts because its graphic. Was reading about Soviet T-34 tanks and how they would sit on top of bunkers and spin in circles, churning up the ground to bury the infantry alive. All kinds of heavy stuff like that. Stalingrad wasnt a great place to be if you were German during that time. The author wrote the book 40 years after the war, when he found his journal notes. Its a combination of journal entries and him filling in the gaps with context and commentary. Fascinating stuff, I hadnt studied the Eastern Front really before this.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Picked this up at the local book hole last night per recommendation:

Pulpy sci-fi, just what the doctor ordered. Amusing thus far, in spite of the horrible synopsis on the back.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Got a few books read over the winter.

Almost done with Born to Run. Makes with want to give trailrunning another chance.

81BAIsimy6L.jpg

Wild was good, better than the movie for sure.

9781782394860.jpg

And Mike Horn, well, he's not human.

1225226.jpg

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I thought about this book (which was a good read but left you unsatisfied...)

when this news story popped up:

Who doesn't fantasize about running away from it all and disappearing into the woods...

... while hunting bears with paint guns loaded with glitter?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I thought about this book (which was a good read but left you unsatisfied...)

when this news story popped up:

Who doesn't fantasize about running away from it all and disappearing into the woods...

... while hunting bears with paint guns loaded with glitter?
I read stranger in the woods earlier this year. That took place not too far from where my family in Maine lives. As a kid I remember hearing stories of mysterious cabin break-ins like the one described in the book.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Hey, I like books.

The Three-Body Problem trilogy - Liu Cixin - hugely imaginative scifi wherein we make contact with an extraterrestrial race, who decide we suck and want to kill us and move in and we have 400 years to get ready

Seven Blades in Black - Sam Sykes - rollocking fantasy novel about a pissed off ex-wizard with a magic gun, a sword named Jeff and a list of seven names whose whole shit she is about to fuck up.

next up for me is Wanderers by Chuck Wendig and The Fall by Neal Stephenson