Quantcast

Does anyone else work rediculous hours? I'm talking 75+ hours/week

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So, its starting to get to me. I just clocked out, and the Time and Attendance system told me in its little computer voice "Shift ended at 12:57 AM. Time worked is 15 hours, 57 minutes."

I just got home at 1:30am, and have to be back at 8:00am. its a half hour drive. I've worked almost 50 hours since Monday, and don't get a day off until........ next weekend (the 12th)

Does anyone else work crazy hours? its been this way consistantly for the past 3+ weeks. The end is near, things will settle down after the 11th, but thats still a week away......

Just remember, the next time you go see a show, go to an amusement park, or basically see anything that has to do with a stage, there is someone like me there that has been working their ass off past their limits so you can enjoy a little break from your daily life.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I do. But in a couple of years after you pay your dues.... Your job will kick ass. Those long hours will hopefully prove you to be indispensible. I miss media/sound/stage work. It was a fun 13 years. I don't miss the pressure, non-existent or impossible deadlines, unreliable co-workers, and the corporate BS though.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Wow, sucks to be you guys.

I work 25 hours a week, if that, when I'm busy. 3 day weekends, too. Being a teacher/tutor/importer has it's privledges, like setting your own work schedule.

How do you find time to ride?

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
I dont have a bike yet, I might finally be gettin a bike within the next 2 weeks ( im am hopin) Workin like that doesnt bother me to much, Im used to it, I have only 2 jobs right now, I am tryin to get a third.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I work decent hours, But I got to school 5 days a week too. It will be alot easier after school gets out though

ILikeFood

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm a programmer finaling a video game, so I'm working 80-100 a week...and will be until July. I do get to ride every Wednesday night, and I dirt-jump on Friday lunch. If not, I'd go insane. I just bought a new Uzzi VPX a month or so ago and I've barely ridden it.

I have one thing to look forward to: on my comp-time at the end of this project I'm driving up to Whistler for 2 weeks...

-f00d

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
Nice, congrats with the 2 week vaction. Im just 18 and tryin to get a third job. Most people my age have only one job, thats even if they have one.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
zahgurim said:
How do you find time to ride?

Thats the problem.......I don't :(

I keep planning on riding, but it never happens. I am too tired, or I have to do somthing else. I havent ridden since my last race at massanutten. I have all the bike parts for a new bike lying around, without time to build it. it sucks BAD. I'm starting to go crazy. I've gained a lot of weight in the past few weeks because I dont have time to cook, so i've been eating fried food, and no time to exercise.

I just keep telling myself that I'll be OK becuase I can build my new bike, and start riding and lose all the weight on the 12th.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Not doing it currently, but have definitely been there. At my last job I lost the entire month of August one year, and then got to do it all over again a few months later :dead:. My misson in life is to never do that again, unless they are paying more than enough to compensate for taking away my life!

Hope you can get out on your bike soon!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My last job was a killer. I'd average 65 hours a week with some weeks in the 100s and would go over a month without a day off. Most of the work was done on long overnight trips. There was no slacking off at that job either. I really loved the work but after 4 years I just burned out, I've never been the same since.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I could never be a slave to work like that. I work only enough that I can pay my bills and do the things I like. I'll never be rich but I'll always be happy.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Yep, used to work ridiculous hours like that. Started out salaried, but the top management decided it would be smart to make us all hourly.
Unfortunaltely, they didn't have to pay overtime.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
It sounds like you get paid by the hour, so that makes it a little easier. I work those hours, and I get paid salary...if I would 8 hours a day or 12-14 hours a day, my pay stays the same...

It still sucks...be careful. Lack of sleep and working yourself into the ground can be very dangerous for your mental and physical health...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i have a love/hate thing going on with hours like that. i've been on jobs like that and the pay is great, time and a half, double time, plus you don't have any time to spend your money really. But it really eats up any social life, go home eat something real quick, shower, and crash, wake up go to work, repeat......

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
55 hours a week during busy cycles. Last monday I did a 13.5 hour day. Its part of life when you have deadlines.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'm in school so don't work, but my friends at microsoft and at varies consulting firms all put in the crazy hours :dead: . long hours lead to zombieism and hedonism in my experience with my friends and at previous jobs.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i wish i had a job....but nooooooooooooo....no shop experience = no job. i guess all the mechanics in Austin just rotate around the shops here.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I do 40 - 45 hours a week at least, and my commute is about 20 hours average per week, sometimes more.

Yes, at least 20 hours a week of commuting. I leave at 6:15am and don't get home till after 7:30 pm most nights.

When I did stage and lighting production I would average at least 100 hours each 2-week paycheck, sometimes up to 140 hours. I worked many 21-22 hour days.

:dead:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
SkaredShtles said:
I learned long ago that it rarely pays off to work your a$$ off
I worked stupid hours for ten years. I made $, but gave up 3 great women in the process. I won't work that hard ever again. (As I sit here "working")

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Toshi said:
but my friends at microsoft and at varies consulting firms all put in the crazy hours :dead:
I'm glad I don't work at the main campus. I couldn't deal with the "lack of lifestyle" there.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
hmmmm, lets see.

work 4 days on/4 days off so its hard to compute the actual "weekly" hours for the main job but its around 45. then i have off-duty police jobs that add about 12 hour per week. then i have my side business of Spacewalk of the Triad (renting and setting up the big moonwalk things for kids). that takes up anywhere from 15-20 hours. on top of that i'm going to school full time (12 credit hours) and attend school mon,tues,thurs from 6-10pm.

so...that's 45+12+15+12 = 84 not including study time.

oh yeah.....and i have 3 kids to play with when i am able to come home :D

but i'm mainly working so much now to pay off debt. will be debt free in 5 months...then i'll cut back a little.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the law said:
Try working 440 hours in the month of February and 1300 hours in the first four months of the year. Geez, too much whining.
110 hr per week. is that even physically possible? that leaves 58 hrs for non-billable hours for the rest of the week. say you've got 7 hrs a night for sleep/shower/etc; that leaves under 2 hrs a day for the rest, including commuting. do you bill yr clients when you are eating or on the crapper? :D

i hope it's worth it. that's a crazy workload.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
I work mon/tues/wed as a shop tech in one of the machine shops at my college, 8 hours a day, then I do 7 hours on thursday and friday at my hardware store job. thats 38 hours a week. Not horrible, but you know it's summer and stuff. I might have a summer class in july through august that takes up an additional 2 hours three nights a week.

Of course, my dream job of making bikes takes up time aswell, although this summer I probably won't be doing much.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
At my first job out of school I was asked to work out of the companies satellite facility on a big project. They had hired a contractor ME that got in way over his head in a hurry and they needed someone to help him out. I ended up fully taking over the project and for 6 weeks straight I worked 120 hours/week and the only day off was to go interview for another job. They were paying the contractor twice my pay AND he was getting overtime for his 60-70 hours/week. Not to mention it was an hour commute for me instead of my normal half hour. The company was "nice enough" to bring in pizza for lunch and dinner every day so we didn't have to go out and could keep working. I was getting about 4 hours of sleep a night and I completely lost the month of April.

I will never do that again, it's not worth it.

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
narlus said:
110 hr per week. is that even physically possible? that leaves 58 hrs for non-billable hours for the rest of the week. say you've got 7 hrs a night for sleep/shower/etc; that leaves under 2 hrs a day for the rest, including commuting. do you bill yr clients when you are eating or on the crapper? :D

i hope it's worth it. that's a crazy workload.
Yeah, for those five months I had no life whatsoever, I worked 72 hours on 6 hours of sleep. I think for February I averaged less than 6 hours of sleep a night. I did not have to commute, because we all lived in a Hotel for over three months and worked downstairs. I did not even stop working to eat. it was delivered to my desk.

Was it hell? Yes! Was it worth it? Hell Yes. I got so much out of it in terms of experience. I think of the beginning of my career especially as a continuation of my education. Hopefully it will work out in the long run and I will have as much free time as I want in the long run.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Well, some of you are making me feel better, some, not so much!

I just clocked out, and M-F i've worked 63 hours and 40 somthing minutes. That doesnt include this weekend, when I am working Sat and Sun.

and I don't get overtime :(

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BigMike said:
Well, some of you are making me feel better, some, not so much!

I just clocked out, and M-F i've worked 63 hours and 40 somthing minutes. That doesnt include this weekend, when I am working Sat and Sun.

and I don't get overtime :(
it's not worth it man, and people bash Unions..... Life and family is more important than work. If you sacrifice your life and health the very very least they can do is pay you time and a half.
It really seems like it's gettin worse people are working for crumbs nowadays. i see it happening more and more to freinds and i hear of it more and more on here. Gotta love that "salary" word.... Salary turns you into celery....

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I'm not on salary, i'm "seasonal," which means I get paid hourly, but no OT. I make just enough to buy the KY so I can lube up when I bend over......

But hey, they say good resume experiance will pay off in the future, right?