Quantcast

does your dog bark?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
It seems to me that part of being a dog is barking. I don't let my dog bark for too long and never at night, but I don't want to silence him all the time.

What's reasonable?

one neighbor hates us and our dog. One day he's going to threaten to call the police and I think I'll say, "You're welcome to do that, but just so you know, they come to check at random times, so just becareful with all that marijuana you smoke in your backyard."

I don't care about that neighbor, but I do care in general. So, give me some thoughts on how much barking is reasonable and what hours of the day.

TIA!

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
That's tough to say. Incessant barking for more than 20 minutes will bother anyone. A few barks and growls now and then should be no biggie, but that depends on the asshatness of your neighbors.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
my dog barks when she is playing fetch or another dog is in the backyard, or an unknow person is in the house, but one milkbone by the person and shell never bark at the person again

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
One does, but he's learned quiet. Still have to give him a quick spritz with the spray bottle occasionally when the mailman fiddles with the mail slot.

The other one's not allowed to, but he's still a puppy, so we're working on that :D

Is your dog outside all day?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BeerDemon said:
That's tough to say. Incessant barking for more than 20 minutes will bother anyone. A few barks and growls now and then should be no biggie, but that depends on the asshatness of your neighbors.
I usually let him bark twice a day for up to five minutes, but my neighbor just yelled for like 30 seconds through the fence.

I realize now I should've said something, specifically, "eh, smoke a bowl and chill." Cuz they do smoke a lot, so why the hate?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
LordOpie said:
I usually let him bark twice a day for up to five minutes, but my neighbor just yelled for like 30 seconds through the fence.

I realize now I should've said something, specifically, "eh, smoke a bowl and chill." Cuz they do smoke a lot, so why the hate?
Move to Crested Butte

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
dogwonder said:
Max is really quiet...but the jack russells down the street are incessant barkers. If Max were a barker, I would try to hush before 7am and after 9pm.
My dog's part jack russell.

Silver said:
One does, but he's learned quiet. Still have to give him a quick spritz with the spray bottle occasionally when the mailman fiddles with the mail slot.

The other one's not allowed to, but he's still a puppy, so we're working on that :D

Is your dog outside all day?
We take our dog to my girl's father's house where he plays with their dog, so he's not home.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
LordOpie said:
It seems to me that part of being a dog is barking. I don't let my dog bark for too long and never at night, but I don't want to silence him all the time.

What's reasonable?

one neighbor hates us and our dog. One day he's going to threaten to call the police and I think I'll say, "You're welcome to do that, but just so you know, they come to check at random times, so just becareful with all that marijuana you smoke in your backyard."

I don't care about that neighbor, but I do care in general. So, give me some thoughts on how much barking is reasonable and what hours of the day.

TIA!

what's "too long"?
I'm a dog owner, (malemutes and golden retrievers) and have never had a barker. More than about 5 minutes is too much for me, and certainly never at night. I work at home, so I get to listen to the ones who are left out alone all day while their owners are at work. Sucks. If it's annoying someone, it's probably too much.

I'm a believer that most barking is the result of nervous energy, not enough attention, lack of proper training, boredom, lack of exercise and needs to be dealt with.

edit: someone yelling after 30 seconds probably does need to chill

just my two cents,

geargrrl

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
geargrrl said:
The dog barked for five minutes, the neighbor yelled for thirty seconds as a result.

The dog in question obviously has training issues just like my neighbor's rat dog and my other neighbor's golden.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My dog never barks. I just thought it was the way he was but I started taking care of my mothers old dog a few years ago who used to bark constantly. She now never barks. I never have to yell at the dogs to stop barking. I think they do it when they are bored. Leave them outside or locked inside for too long and they will bark.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
My two dogs rarely bark. When someone's near the gate to our backyard, they'll bark. Or if the doorbell rings, but besides that you never hear them.

My neighbors on the other hand have these two hound dogs that, some days, seemingly bark constantly. Annoying as hell. I've never said anything, doubt I ever will. It's just not that huge of a deal. On the flip side, they've called the cops on us for having a party on a Friday night at 11:30. I personally think that's bunk, but it's all good, in the hood. Some people just aren't very forgiving.

our dog barks all the time, thoughhes a 20 pounder, he sounds like a big dog, we just try not to let himbark no stop, after a few minutes of him just barking we call him in, but sometimes he wont barks at all, he will just go lay on the cement and sunbath for hours, and after words hes like 100 degrees

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
geargrrl said:
I'm a believer that most barking is the result of nervous energy, not enough attention, lack of proper training, boredom, lack of exercise and needs to be dealt with.
As a new dog owner (guardian) I am learning that this seems to be true. Our dog only barks when he wants something or is scared of something. He's a super cool dog though.

I only really get annoyed at a dog barking if it's at night or early morning and it goes on non-stop for 5+ minutes or so. Of course where I live now the roosters crow in the morning almost as loud as the dog barks!

J

JRB

Mine will bark, but I can tell him to shut up. He didn't bark for a long time, unless he was on a cow. I kind of started it. He rarely barks in the yard, and always stops when I tell him to.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
my dog stops when I tell him to and we have a bark collar so I don't have to tell him to stop.

But it just seems wrong to never ever let a dog bark.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
BeerDemon said:

20 minutes?????????'
:eek:

thats a pretty high threshold.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
LordOpie said:

uhhhh because smoking pot in their back yard is not loud and obnoxious maybe?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Barking is annoying, but I appreciate that stopping dogs barking altogether is kinda cruel, kinda like stopping cats fighting or hunting. I live in a little tiny valley and one of the houses on the other side has a dog which barks waaayyy too much. The guy clearly has no control over the dog either which sucks. A well trained dog only barks once or twice as a means to get attention or as a warning. 5-10 minutes of barking, especially for no good reason is ridiculous. If your dog doesn't stop barking first time you tell it, (provided it's not some extreme situation) you need to work harder on training it IMO.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
biggins said:
uhhhh because smoking pot in their back yard is not loud and obnoxious maybe?
Just obnoxious.

Who wants to smell their second rate cow manure/cut grass concoction.

Our beagle in VA would bark, but only when someone came up the drive way.

Our bluetick coonhound in TN would bark after we left the house until he sufficiently destroyed a piece of furniture/carpet/section of drywall. He never barked outside unless the neighbors cats were laying just beyond his reach.

My brothers Rhodesian Ridgeback will bark when he is hungry or if he thinks you are not paying attention to him. He never barks outside, only in the house.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i don t care what anyone says, a barking dog is f***ing annoying... imagine if you were in ya neighbours shoes... sure, he smokes weed, but how does that effect you - it doesn t... and ya really shouldn t be so judgemental, big deal if he wants to get on the hose...

but he does have the right to live without hearing your dog barking...

i m in a similar boat... MY neighbour (shes about 100 feet away) has 4 farking dogs... one is called 'mr. cuddles' and i swear i want to kill that mongrel.. they bark and it drives me insane... i get woken up 4 - 5 mornings per week by her dogs... thankfully it hasn t been so bad in the last week, but i swear it s only a matter of time before i call the security on her... around here a househld is only allowed to have 3 dogs... i don t want to be an a$$, since she is elderly and alone, but for christs sake...

geargrrl said:
what's "too long"?
I'm a dog owner, (malemutes and golden retrievers) and have never had a barker. More than about 5 minutes is too much for me, and certainly never at night. I work at home, so I get to listen to the ones who are left out alone all day while their owners are at work. Sucks. If it's annoying someone, it's probably too much.

just my two cents,

geargrrl

listen to her, reason why your dog is barking is a lack of exerise. it's said that dogs bark so they can release energy, tention, and frustration. It all leads up to lack of exerise. So in result, they bark constantly to release the energy that they have built up lack of exerise. if you don't think so, check out the website
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/dogwhisperer/index.html

his name is Cesar Millan, super smart in his reasoning and makes alot of sense.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
narlus said:
so if you 'let' him bark, you are also equipped w/ the power to stop him?

5 minutes is way too long.

I agree. My dog doesn't bark. When she does, I go get her and make her shut up. That way when she's barking like crazy I know that something is wrong. Like the creepy neighbor is in the back yard, or the landlord is trying to get in the gate to mow the lawn. She's kick ass guard dog and I've never discouraged her from that but I won't let her sit out there and bark at other dogs or squirrels or whatever.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Love dogs. Badly behaved dogs are the worst though. A dog just standing around barking would not make me happy...

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
Our dog barks when someone (or another dog) comes into our driveway and occasionally he'll bark at the dogs in the yard behind ours. As a general rule of courtesy I don't let him bark for any amount of time. If I let him out in the morning and he barks (even for good reason) I bring him right back inside until he calms down. There is a dog that is allowed to run loose in our area and it drives him crazy, but I won't stoop to the same level as the asshat that owns that dog by letting our's bark his head off.

As much as I don't like one of our neighbors, I don't think they deserve to be awakened in the morning by my dog barking. He may not be the most perfectly trained dog around but he knows to stop when I stick my head out the window to tell him to be quiet.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
We've got 2 Jack Russell Terriers, and they do bark. We live in the country though, and our neighbor is about 300 yards away. Near enough so they can hear the dogs if they are barking outside (at deer, typically), but not if the dogs are inside.

I don't get to worried if they are barking inside, but I try to keep it under control if they are outside. No early barking (i.e. before I leave for work at 7:15), and no barking after dark, regardless of what time the sun sets. During the day, especially on weekends, I pretty much let them go - like you said, part of being a dog is barking at stuff. I try to not let them drone on and on and on though.

Random

Chimp
Aug 14, 2001
Joplin, MO
My dog barks when people get too close to the fence and he barked alot for few nights so i would bring him inside to stop him and even when he was inside he couldnt stay still, wandering around trying to get outside, then a few days later the house across the street got raided for meth and then his barking and nervous wandering inside stopped.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i was surrounded by no less than 11 dogs at my last house.all those dogs did was bark. the owners of a few of them would stand around talking to each other over the having to raise their voices over their barking dogs to hear each other and still wouldnt shut 'em up. we had a dog at the same time and it never barked.

one of the dogs got shot by a cop cause it cornered two kids in a yard then charged the two police officers. One less dog to listen to as far as i am concerned.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
LordOpie said:

Just tell them that maybe it's becasue your dog used to be a drug sniffing dog...

bella

Monkey
Jul 30, 2004
portland or
stevew said:
Just obnoxious.

Our bluetick coonhound in TN would bark after we left the house until he sufficiently destroyed a piece of furniture/carpet/section of drywall. He never barked outside unless the neighbors cats were laying just beyond his reach.
your neighbor should be happy they dont live next to my dog. shes a bluetick and barking is the least of my neighbors issues. she bays constantly (esp if the cat is below the front window) and theres nothing you can do to get a riled up hound dog to shut up.