Quantcast

Doesn't this kinda violate the separation between Church and State?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
DRB said:
Care to explain why you should?
Sure.

You are as bad as they are, you just take more words to do it.
Comparing me to N8 and Burly should be considered an insult in this instance. They are using infantile tactics to smear me while I am defending myself.
Of course you are. You are always right. I bet you know the truth with a capital T don't you.
Patronization is generally always seen as an insult.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Old Man G Funk said:
Sure.

Comparing me to N8 and Burly should be considered an insult in this instance. They are using infantile tactics to smear me while I am defending myself.
I like N8 and Burly so comparing you to them is not an insult.

Old Man G Funk said:
Patronization is generally always seen as an insult.
How do you know I'm patronizing you? Are you psychic?

As for patronization, if someone was to partonize some group, I could view that as an insult to that group?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
DRB said:
I like N8 and Burly so comparing you to them is not an insult.

How do you know I'm patronizing you? Are you psychic?

As for patronization, if someone was to partonize some group, I could view that as an insult to that group?
It's not about personal like or dislike. They might be great guys off the internets, but that's not what you did. You compared me to them and their argumentation style. You insulted my intelligence and my person with the comparison. If that was not your intent, then I will take no offense.

As for patronizing me, first I don't mean it as "to be a patron." Second, does it really take a psychic to discern your meaning? C'mon.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Old Man G Funk said:
Second, does it really take a psychic to discern your meaning? C'mon.
So you see then why my inferring that you hate christians is completely valid.:rofl:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Old Man G Funk said:
It's not about personal like or dislike. They might be great guys off the internets, but that's not what you did. You compared me to them and their argumentation style. You insulted my intelligence and my person with the comparison. If that was not your intent, then I will take no offense.
Any insult you took from that is due to your interpretation of my statement.

Old Man G Funk said:
As for patronizing me, first I don't mean it as "to be a patron." Second, does it really take a psychic to discern your meaning? C'mon.
So its possible to discern implicit meaning from posts without being psychic?

And back to the important question you didn't answer:

If someone was to partonize some group, I could view that as an insult to that group?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
DRB said:

So its possible to discern implicit meaning from posts without being psychic?

And back to the important question you didn't answer:
I did answer that question. I figured you were trying to be funny and using the definition of patronize as in to be a patron. Yes, generally when you patronize someone it is meant to be insulting.

As for not being psychic, I do have reading comprehension skills. What you said was meant to be insulting and the fact that you deny it now does not look good for you. Be a man. Admit it.

I also see that you are resorting to the, "I said what I said and it's your problem if you took offense to it," tack in regards to the first. I said point blank that you just had to tell me that I was mistaken, and you did not do that. Why not?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Old Man G Funk said:
I did answer that question. I figured you were trying to be funny and using the definition of patronize as in to be a patron. Yes, generally when you patronize someone it is meant to be insulting.
I find your use of Xtians patronizing.
Old Man G Funk said:
As for not being psychic, I do have reading comprehension skills. What you said was meant to be insulting and the fact that you deny it now does not look good for you. Be a man. Admit it.

I also see that you are resorting to the, "I said what I said and it's your problem if you took offense to it," tack in regards to the first. I said point blank that you just had to tell me that I was mistaken, and you did not do that. Why not?

Lots of what you say is meant to be insulting to Christians and the fact that you deny it now does not look good for you. Be a man. Admit it.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
DRB said:
I find your use of Xtians patronizing.
How so? If it is indeed insulting, then I will stop using it. I've had other Christians tell me that they don't mind, but if you don't like it, I won't use it.

Lots of what you say is meant to be insulting to Christians and the fact that you deny it now does not look good for you. Be a man. Admit it.
Example?

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
I think what he was orginally getting at overall is Theocracy=Death

The problems associated with a national religion or lack there of is the issue here. As to forcing religion, we have a president who comes from a born-again group that comes and knocks on your door. There is obvious bias in our government towards christians and christians. Who are they to say whos right and whos wrong. Fanatics ruin the world. Look at israel that was attacked by lebanon today, and surly they will have some strike back. The cause is religious dissent in the middle east, ALWAYS. Everyone's looking for a scapegoat, the blame lies on the emphasis in one belief. Im not religious, but I believe that religion, like anything else, should be taken in moderation and on a sane level. My gf is a jew and is over in Israel and I worry eevryday because of their damn zionist group taht sends them over there to spend 6 weeks in a warzone (basically).

Im confused and pissed off and generally distraught because she called me this morning bc of this incident in tears. What I hate is bull**** liek this that happens.

Religion in moderation, religion out of the government.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Old Man G Funk said:
How so? If it is indeed insulting, then I will stop using it. I've had other Christians tell me that they don't mind, but if you don't like it, I won't use it.

Example?

"I don't hate christanity... some of my best friends are christians" -OMGF

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
formermtboarder said:
I think what he was orginally getting at overall is Theocracy=Death

The problems associated with a national religion or lack there of is the issue here. As to forcing religion, we have a president who comes from a born-again group that comes and knocks on your door. There is obvious bias in our government towards christians and christians. Who are they to say whos right and whos wrong. Fanatics ruin the world. Look at israel that was attacked by lebanon today, and surly they will have some strike back. The cause is religious dissent in the middle east, ALWAYS. Everyone's looking for a scapegoat, the blame lies on the emphasis in one belief. Im not religious, but I believe that religion, like anything else, should be taken in moderation and on a sane level. My gf is a jew and is over in Israel and I worry eevryday because of their damn zionist group taht sends them over there to spend 6 weeks in a warzone (basically).

Im confused and pissed off and generally distraught because she called me this morning bc of this incident in tears. What I hate is bull**** liek this that happens.

Religion in moderation, religion out of the government.
Sounds about right.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Ciaran said:
Waaaahhhh.... Some christians are in my building and they arte PRAYING! OMG! Waaahhhh!

:rolleyes: Get over it.
That's the most articulate argument I have ever seen in this forum. Well done. Don't you have a sword to sharpen or something?

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
OMGF. Dude, this thing really pisses me off "Xtians". 1) I think it is disrespectful, 2) Every time I see it I think of Scientology, TomKat, and Xenu the alien, it totally derails my train of thought.
As far as burly, N8 and DRB, I believe they bring up a valid point, your behaviour and stance on issues concerning Christianity coupled with the zeal you exibit while debating said topic imply a generally anti Christian position. Not to be confused with the missionary position.
While you may not blatantly attack Christians or their mythology, you seem to take a consistently antagonistic approach to them. Juxtapose that with your position on issues like chocolate chip pancakes your dislike of Christians becomes obvious.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
noname said:
OMGF. Dude, this thing really pisses me off "Xtians". 1) I think it is disrespectful, 2) Every time I see it I think of Scientology, TomKat, and Xenu the alien, it totally derails my train of thought.
As far as burly, N8 and DRB, I believe they bring up a valid point, your behaviour and stance on issues concerning Christianity coupled with the zeal you exibit while debating said topic imply a generally anti Christian position. Not to be confused with the missionary position.
While you may not blatantly attack Christians or their mythology, you seem to take a consistently antagonistic approach to them. Juxtapose that with your position on issues like chocolate chip pancakes your dislike of Christians becomes obvious.
I think religion will be straw that breaks humanities back. Christianity is a right behind Islam in terms of encouraging the self centered, intolerant behavior that imperils global society. You need it said any clearer than that?

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
BeerDemon said:
I think religion will be straw that breaks humanities back. Christianity is a right behind Islam in terms of encouraging the self centered, intolerant behavior that imperils global society. You need it said any clearer than that?
like communism, sociallism etc........
People will latch onto a belief structure of one sort or another. Believe it or not I actually believe that religion has far less pull on global society now than it did one hundred years ago. It seems to have more sway now partly because we have instant news coverage and partly because a majority of the conflicts people are engaged in seem to have a religious component to at least one side. Odd how that currently seems to be Islam.
As far as being self centered, selfishness has it's virtues. Even people who boast of being altruistic due it to make themselves feel good.
True altruism is antagonist to the natural state of things, but go ahead, be altruistic and send me all your money, cause you know I need it and all............:rolleyes:

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
noname said:
I always have seen "Xtians" on the internets used as a shorthand notation. I'm not sure why it is disrespectful, it is simply an abbreviation.

Now, please don't go down the road that those others have. Don't equate anti-Christianity with anti-Christians. I am anti-Christianity. I dislike the faith. If I liked it, I would be a follower, would I not? Instead, I see many things wrong with it, and for that I will not apologize. That is quite a different thing, however, from being anti-Christian. Attacking a belief system is not the same thing as attacking the person.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The fact is that belief in a concept such as christianity is a delusion on the part of the believer. Delusions never result in positive results.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Changleen said:
The fact is that belief in a concept such as christianity is a delusion on the part of the believer. Delusions never result in positive results.
Why?

Whilst I know where you are coming from (and I myself think that belief in God is irrational), if you are saying that belief in something that you have no concrete evidence for is delusional then we are all in trouble. We take many things on faith because we think we see evidence of them, but we actually see what we are told is evidence of them.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Old Man G Funk said:
Not what I said. Nice strawman.
Sure it is. I'd say that most Christians would find it hard to separate criticism of their faith as not being criticism of them.

Now I'm sure you can make yourself feel good by saying that's their problem and not yours but it doesn't change the fact.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
DRB said:
Sure it is. I'd say that most Christians would find it hard to separate criticism of their faith as not being criticism of them.

Now I'm sure you can make yourself feel good by saying that's their problem and not yours but it doesn't change the fact.
So, you admit that it isn't a logical error on my part, but on theirs. Yet, somehow it is still my fault. Nice one.

Edit: I.E. you admit that you just made a strawman, but blame me anyway.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Old Man G Funk said:
So, you admit that it isn't a logical error on my part, but on theirs. Yet, somehow it is still my fault. Nice one.

Edit: I.E. you admit that you just made a strawman, but blame me anyway.
I thought you said that you had reading comprehension skills? I guess not.

No I think that you hold Christianity and those that believe in it in general contempt. You'll say you can separate the two but Christians will say that you can't.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
DRB said:
I thought you said that you had reading comprehension skills? I guess not.

No I think that you hold Christianity and those that believe in it in general contempt. You'll say you can separate the two but Christians will say that you can't.
So, Christians designate what I am able to do?

Actually, what you said was that Christians would find it hard to separate criticism of their religion from criticism of themselves. That does not mean that the two are equal, however. The problem isn't so much reading comprehension as unclear writing it seems. If you meant that it does make the two equal, then you should have said that. Of course, then I would simply say that you are wrong, unless you could prove to me that Chrisianity = Christian.