Quantcast

Doing stuff with kids

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
How do you do it? My daughter is 16 months old.

She's up around 7:30 or 8. Takes most of the morning to ge everyone fed, and dressed and cleaned up. By noon or so she needs a nap until 2:30 or 3. Day's pretty much done by then. she's asleep right now, and it's a frickin' gorgeous day out. And I'm on the computer!!

How do you go DO stuff out and about with kids?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Get up before the kid. Go fast in the morning. Get some stuff in before nap time. Plan stuff for just after nap time.

Of course, my kid never took naps. She slept through the night from the time she was two months old, and never woke up before 8am.

:think:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Adjust your schedule, I get up everyday around 6-6:30am. My son is almost 6 so he's easy, my daughter who will be 2 on Tuesday gets up between 6:30-7:30am. I try to get them fed by 8-8:30am, get them dressed, I'll take a speed shower. I can be out of the house by 9:30-10am. My daughter will usually pass out between 12 & 1 (especially if we're in the car), but that’s what reclining strollers are for. It's easy to get caught up in running the day around your child, but it's not going to work if you want to go out or get things done. Have a schedule made in your head to determine how you’re going to execute your day, and stick to it. It works 95% of the time.

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
Brian HCM#1 said:
Adjust your schedule, I get up everyday around 6-6:30am. My son is almost 6 so he's easy, my daughter who will be 2 on Tuesday gets up between 6:30-7:30am. I try to get them fed by 8-8:30am, get them dressed, I'll take a speed shower. I can be out of the house by 9:30-10am. My daughter will usually pass out between 12 & 1 (especially if we're in the car), but that’s what reclining strollers are for. It's easy to get caught up in running the day around your child, but it's not going to work if you want to go out or get things done. Have a schedule made in your head to determine how you’re going to execute your day, and stick to it. It works 95% of the time.
Yeah, what he said. I've got twin boys who are 13 months now, and it's ALL about the schedule. The trick is to keep to it consistently. The first couple days af a new schedule can be tough, but it gets much easier as the kid settles into it.

mtnbiker66

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
In a van down by the river.
I was out riding yesterday and a couple with a 5 week old baby come hiking up to the lake I was sitting at.I have 3 kids and we have always done things outdoors.I put my biking on hold while they were little but now I ride more than I ever have.Enjoy them now,you have no idea how quick they'll grow up. I wont be long untill you get family time like this.....

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
mtnbiker66 said:
I was out riding yesterday and a couple with a 5 week old baby come hiking up to the lake I was sitting at.I have 3 kids and we have always done things outdoors.I put my biking on hold while they were little but now I ride more than I ever have.Enjoy them now,you have no idea how quick they'll grow up. I wont be long untill you get family time like this.....
I can't wait!!!!! Thats awesome!!!! :thumb:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
lock the door, leave enough food/water on the floor to last them a day or two and just go out! it'll probably be messy when you get back but at least you'll get something done :D

honestly, i don't know how my wife does it. she goes out almost everyday for something and takes all 3 kids w/ her. it's a little easier now that my son is in school but it's summer again so we're back to toting the whole fire team around again.
it's tough but you'll eventually find what works for you. if we can hold them off on their nap long enough to get ready and get into the car we will 'cause they'll more than likely fall asleep on the way.

and if all else fails......you can always ride in the front yard when the kids are asleep. the girls were taking a nap when this picture was taken. i just brought the boy, who had been begging to ride, outside and brought the baby monitor w/ me. so there's always a way around nap time.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Ok.... well I guess this answers my question. Full day trips are just not going to happen with the whole gang until everyone outgorws the need for a serious nap in the middle of the day......

Fair enough.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
MMike said:
Ok.... well I guess this answers my question. Full day trips are just not going to happen with the whole gang until everyone outgorws the need for a serious nap in the middle of the day......

Fair enough.
Noah is bumping a year old soon, but we've taken him on 2-3 hour a hike about 2 months ago, he did pretty good I think he was so interested in seeing and taking in the new environment he was in that he "forgot" he was suppose to take a nap. He did crash hard on the way home.

As long as he's well rested the day before, he can usually tolerate a full day out of his schedule as long as at some point a nap can be had - he's a pretty adaptable little dude so you're results may vary.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
do you live with your wife/gf? For my wife and I, it's all about tradeoffs. She'll watch the kids so I can do stuff, I'll watch the kids so she can do stuff. Parents/In-Laws are also a wonderful thing. But regardless... it's never going to be like it was pre-children.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MMike said:
Again, my question wasn't about ME going off and doing stuff myself. That we have covered. It was about ALL of us going out to do stuff for an entire day.
ah, sorry... Obviously I didn't read everything.

We've had our kids packed in teh car since day 1. OK, not really day one, but when Emma was 6 weeks old we packed her up and headed off to baltimore, about a 4hour trip one way. She did great, and that kind of set the tone for future travels. We haven't really had Sean out yet... but he's getting to the point where he's ready, so I suspect in the near future we'll take a long weekend and drive to virginia or something... my wife is itching to go to the beach, so...

IMO, get them used to it early. Make sure they are in a decent carseat... a lot of them come with synthetic/nylon liners which don't breathe well, so they get hot fast. Find a way to get a layer of cotton between them and the nylon - it will make a big difference (or at least has for our kids). We found that we have to stop about ever 4 hours to let Emma stretch her legs - otherwise she gets so restless she goes nuts. We usually find a mall or something and let her walk around for an hour or so, grab some food, then hit the road. An hour of walking and a full belly is usually enough to get her relaxed for the rest of the trip.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
You just have to decide that you're going to do stuff and go. They might get a little cranky by the end of the day if they miss their nap, but they'll get right back on schedule the next day.

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
You just have to decide that you're going to do stuff and go. They might get a little cranky by the end of the day if they miss that there nap, but they'll get right back on schedule the next day.
Fixed it for you, but your kids don't get too cranky.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MMike said:
Groan....I'm about to in 3 weeks...not looking forward to it.....
w/ one kid and two parents you can trade off keeping her happy and occupied. it gets tougher as you add more little bodies to the mix. hopefully she will sleep a bit for you; i am envious of people who can kick back w/ some headphones on and their nose buried in a book or mag. but our kids have been on plenty of plane trips by now, and they are pretty easy for the most part.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
This will be Em's third trip. first one a 5 mos, second at 10 mos. Now 16 mos....

We've discovered that it's just better to fly direct to Vancouver from Mtl. Then just drive to Seattle. She can sack out in the back... don't have to haul her through to airport after a 6 hour flight.... It's just plain easier.....

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
MMike said:
Groan....I'm about to in 3 weeks...not looking forward to it.....
The secret is if your flying especially around nap time try to not let them fall asleep on the way to the airport, keep them up until they get on the plane. My kids would always pass out then.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Brian HCM#1 said:
The secret is if your flying especially around nap time try to not let them fall asleep on the way to the airport, keep them up until they get on the plane. My kids would always pass out then.
It's all about nap management..................

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
With 3 kids under 4yo it can be a challenge. It all depends how well they nap, how tolerant they are, how tolerant *you* are, etc.

It can be done, though. We went up to Estes Park this past weekend and stayed with some friends. Mornings were spent hiking in RMNP, early afternoon spent napping, and Saturday evening we left the 4 kids with our friends' parents so we could go out and have some dinner! :thumb:

Next weekend we're all going up here for the weekend camping..... God (weather) willing. :D