Quantcast

Double Barrel and DW link?

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Has anyone set up a dw link bike with a double barrel? More specifically a 7point. Any particular tuning/ fit/ hardware issues I should be aware of?
I tried searching here, MTBR and e-mailing IH with little luck.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I have not tried it personally on a 7POINT, but I belive it can be made to work. Lars Tribus ran the DB on his Sunday for a bitht his year, and although he was not able to get it totally dialed to his liking, we think that it can be done with a little more tuning. The dw-link bikes can use as little as 1/3 of the low speed compression damping as other bikes, adn from what I understand the DB has a wide adjustment range. We will experiment more and post results on dw-link.com.

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
the dw-link bikes can use as little as 1/3 of the low speed compression damping as other bikes
This was my main tuning concern. I already have a 5th that is too slow. I don't want to spend $600 on a new shock to find out that it will have the same problem.

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
I bought a DB for my Sunday and eventually sold it because I could not get it 'fast' enough. I talked to lars after he ran his for a few weekends and he took it off for the same reason. Until Cane Creek will custom tune these shocks, i would stay away from them for DW link bikes

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
thanks for the info dw. i acctually got a chance to talk to some guys from ironhorse that new a few guys that had some trial runs on them. surprisingly they seemed to really like the feel of them. keep us posted man because i was thinking of making the swap myself. whenever i get my sunday.:cheers:

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
i thought CC does custom tune them.
As far as i know, thats not the case. I purchased the shock and told them what bike it was for and they said that the adjustments should be enough to work with the DW link, but they didnt actually do any in-house testing with a sunday. After a few weeks, I called them back to see if anything could be done about the slow feel of it, and they told me they are not doing custom tunes at this time. Long story short, after riding a sunday for the last 2 seasons with nearly every shock, the Fox DHX 5.0 is by far the best feeling shock for the bike.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
As a guess, would this mean that the DB may be too slow for the Glory as well? I know the designs are different, but are they potentially close enough?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
As a guess, would this mean that the DB may be too slow for the Glory as well? I know the designs are different, but are they potentially close enough?

just from a brief numerical analysis, the bikes are different in a way that would lead to think the problem if excessive comp damping on the sunday, shouldnt necessarily be present on the glory.
the thing is that the sunday has an extremely low travel to shaft ratio. the glory is more normal in that sense, it has 220mm travel from what i believe to be a 70mm shaft (could be a 76mm shaft too) and so it has a ratio equal or greater to 3 to 1, the sunday is almost 2,5 to 1.
this means more compression would be needed on the glory, all other things being equal.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I bought a DB for my Sunday and eventually sold it because I could not get it 'fast' enough. I talked to lars after he ran his for a few weekends and he took it off for the same reason. Until Cane Creek will custom tune these shocks, i would stay away from them for DW link bikes
I can see that. Its a known fact that the Sunday requires very little compression damping from a shock.
I absolutely love the CCDB on my Demo, and I run my rebound almost all the way fast even on that bike.
The Double Barrels do have a huge adjustment range, but if your bike requires so little compression from a shock, then it just is not in that range.
I would love to see a custom tuned DB for a Sunday though.
It would not surprise me if the guys at Cane Creek did something like this in the future, because this was the first year the DB has been on the market.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I have a DB on my V-10, and it's been t!ts so far...Couldn't keep the DHX from bottoming HARD (yes, I ride like a drunk gorilla) regardless of how I set up the 'boost valve' - and that's with the correct spring rate...That said, I'm of the opinion that the 10 has some pretty high leverage rations throughout it's travel, so some beefy compression damping comes in handy (i.e. I don't bottom anymore except on uber fast and flat hits)...Plus, having 2 adjustments for rebound AND compression is just f'ing cool (and no need for chenzy shock pumps) :cheers:

Anyway, now that I'm done bragging and self-validating my purchase of a $600 shock, I did *hear* that Samuel Hill was trying one out on his Sunday this past season...May have found out the same thing Lars & DS Dom did? Also, not sure about how the hardware would match up - especially now that the new Sundays have 10 mm shock bolts (and the DB, with it's spherical bearings, can't accept something that large through the eyelets)...Dunno if the new 7 Points have the new 10mm hardware as well...So I'd say stick with the DHX...

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
I did *hear* that Samuel Hill was trying one out on his Sunday this past season...
Yeah, Butch posted that some where.

undays have 10 mm shock bolts (and the DB, with it's spherical bearings, can't accept something that large through the eyelets)...Dunno if the new 7 Points have the new 10mm hardware as well...
Its an '05 7point.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Yeah, Butch posted that some where.

Its an '05 7point.
to be more specific I said he asked to try one out. Me not know if he actually ever slapped one on.:greedy:

In regards to all things Double Barrel, if you want specifics on it's compatability with the Sunday, you can call 828-684-3551 and ask to speak with Malcolm. he's a busy guy, but returns calls. But please don't call being all e-reporter. If you're the guy who actually owns a Sunday and intends to buy the Double Barrel, do it to it....:biggrin:

Last time someone started a Double Barrel thread, a bunch of people geeked on it so hard it was silly.

I will say this about the Double Barrel, the adjusters have a very easily discernable and noticable affect on settings when tuned in or out...without affecting the other 3 circuits whatsoever.

The most interesting thing is what you've mentioned about slow rebounding on the Sundays. It's something no one has mentioned with any other bike.

I'm guessing it's a sensation and not an actual occurence. The Double Barrel is so sensitive to small trail contours that it makes ripples, rocks and roots disappear under you. At first, I mistook it for slow rebound but after spinning adjusters at Diablo and trying to become more mentally tuned into the shock, I came to realize it was rebounding super fast. It's just that the typical bucking and sort of "skipping" sensation you get with other shocks from rocks, roots, etc...is more pronounced due to their lack of sensitivity to smaller trail features.

Edit:This feature of the shock combined with the rearward axle path of the Sunday would act together to make a trail feel very vague. No spikes from the rear wheel on sharp objects and no chatter from the shock could combine to give a rider a vague sense of rebound???

my 2 cents.:greedy:

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
The most interesting thing is what you've mentioned about slow rebounding on the Sundays. It's something no one has mentioned with any other bike.
I'm still banking on the DW-link's suspension ratio.

In regards to all things Double Barrel, if you want specifics on it's compatability with the Sunday, you can call 828-684-3551 and ask to speak with Malcolm. he's a busy guy, but returns calls. But please don't call being all e-reporter. If you're the guy who actually owns a Sunday and intends to buy the Double Barrel, do it to it....
I'm serious about getting the shock. But, seeing the problems that other other shock/ DW combos have I wanted some first hand experiences. I'm not about to put that kind of cash on an orniment for my parts box. I put out an E-mail to CC. I will take your advice and call them if I don't hear back from them in a few days.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I wouldn't base a decision off an email. Kind of like people not basing their opinion of me by them. heh....

I'm not dissing the DW link. I posted my guess as to why only people with the DW link are stating they feel like the Sunday rebounds slowly with a Double Barrel.

Heck, I've got a tattoo of DW on my butt...it's soooo sweet!

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
I'm not dissing the DW link. I posted my guess as to why only people with the DW link are stating they feel like the Sunday rebounds slowly with a Double Barrel.

It is not a sensation. It is an actual occurance. And it is not just on the Double Barrel, it is on all shocks that I have felt that are not specifically tuned for the DW link. No one is dissing on the Double Barrel either, it just seems that it does not have enough external rebound damping adjustment to make it work properly for the Sunday. I am sure it could work and could work great for the bike but because of the leverage ratios it requires a much different internal shock tune than any other bike out there. If they offered enough external adjustment to make it rebound fast enough for the Sunday it would be way way too fast for every other bike on that market that I know of. I would love to try one out if they can make it work but so far it seems like the the DHX and ROCO are the two production platforms that bolt right up to the Sunday and rule. I was also really happy with my tuned Swinger this year and have heard some really good things about the Revox but unfortunately it will not fit on the Sunday.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
aha, conjecture beats some people's actual riding impressions. that never happens on the internet... :biggrin:

truth be told, there's hardly any shocks that I've felt off-the-shelf that feel right on a Sunday. some feel better than others, but all benefit from a change to "light compression/rebound tune". the rebound is most noticeable, but compression plays a part as well. i haven't played with the DB, but that is definitetly the case with almost all the other shocks I've ridden. it's too bad that CC won't work with consumers to custom tune the shocks to even *see* if it feels better.

edit: crap, rawhall beat me too it. :)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
.... it's too bad that CC won't work with consumers to custom tune the shocks to even *see* if it feels better.
That's an incorrect statement to make about Cane Creek. Nobody there isn't working with consumers.

Custom tuning a Double Barrel ? By what...modifying it internally?You back the rebound adjuster all the way out and the only thing that's slowing down how fast the shock returns to full extension is the spring itself and the force it can generate on the linkage and associated parts tied to that link.

You guys are backing into this. The way you put it is essentially saying that the Double Barrel has some limiting factor regarding oil flow that is slowing the shock's rebound circuit down. When you back out the high speed rebound adjuster, rebound is from the tension in the spring. :clue:

If you were arguing something to do with the compression circuit, which DW and I discussed, I could see where some shocks don't have a low enough compression ratio because of the leverage on the Sunday. But somebody explain to me what in the linkage of the Sunday is going to cause a steel coil spring to react any different upon rebound with no oil flow limiting it's return to full extension??
:happydance:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
That's an incorrect statement to make about Cane Creek. Nobody there isn't working with consumers.

Custom tuning a Double Barrel ? By what...modifying it internally?You back the rebound adjuster all the way out and the only thing that's slowing down how fast the shock returns to full extension is the spring itself and the force it can generate on the linkage and associated parts tied to that link.

You guys are backing into this. The way you put it is essentially saying that the Double Barrel has some limiting factor regarding oil flow that is slowing the shock's rebound circuit down. When you back out the high speed rebound adjuster, rebound is from the tension in the spring. :clue:

If you were arguing something to do with the compression circuit, which DW and I discussed, I could see where some shocks don't have a low enough compression ratio because of the leverage on the Sunday. But somebody explain to me what in the linkage of the Sunday is going to cause a steel coil spring to react any different upon rebound with no oil flow limiting it's return to full extension??
Dammit, :bonk: you are not listening.
The stock DB has too much compression damping for the Sunday despite its big adjustment range. Pros like Lars and Dom have tested this out. The only way to make it work is if the shock was custom tuned with a super light compression to work with the Sunday.
The same thing has to be done with other shocks as well.
They are both great products that just do not work well with each other.
Like chocolate cake and beer. I love them both just not together.
(2bit from The Outsiders did enjoy the above combo, but then again he could pull off a Mickey Mouse t-shirt as well. Damn those greasers.)

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co

I'm gonna have to call BS on that. I had both rebound adjusters backed ALL the way out and the shock was still SLOW. The oil is still flowing through a circuit, and regardless of how open that circuit is, there is still going to be some resistance. Take your beloved DB off your bike and take the spring off, then back the rebound adjusters out all the way and cycle the shaft by hand, then come back here and tell me that there is no resistance on the rebound stroke :banghead:

Regarding them not working with customers, its true. I bought a DB for myself directly from CC and after a 1.5 months of fiddling with it I still could not get it to feel better than my 5th. I called up CC and they said they are not offering any kind of custom tunes at this time, because it would be to hard for them to do. Then they asked me for my name and looked up the shock Dyno from when I purchased it and he told me it was within the factory tolerances. He then asked me if it always felt this way or if at one point it changed. I told him it felt this way since the day I bought it and he said that ruled out it actually being a problem with the shock. I sold the shock to someone with a sinister and I'm sure he is more than happy with it.

The point here is NOT that the DB is a bad shock. Its simply that my opinion is that it does not currently work very well with the Sunday. But guess what? No shocks without custom tunes feel very good on the Sunday. If CC could be convinced of this then I bet it would be an amazing shock for the sunday, but until then, its not.

EDIT: part of the reason it probably feels so slow is because I have to run a 250 lb spring to get the proper sag. This is where the Sunday difference also comes into play

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
Not to highjack the thread but I tried running a CCDB on a Ventana El Saltamontes. 4" of travel, 2" stroke. Low 2:1 ratio. I am 215lbs using a 450lbs spring for 30% sag. Could not get enough high speed rebound, plus the HS compression was to firm on the CCDB for it to function well. Settled on a pushed RC (very happy, although it took 3 tunings to get it perfect), and the CCDB is gathering dust :(

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Not to highjack the thread but I tried running a CCDB on a Ventana El Saltamontes. 4" of travel, 2" stroke. Low 2:1 ratio. I am 215lbs using a 450lbs spring for 30% sag. Could not get enough high speed rebound, plus the HS compression was to firm on the CCDB for it to function well. Settled on a pushed RC (very happy, although it took 3 tunings to get it perfect), and the CCDB is gathering dust :(
you bought a Double Barrel for a 4 inch travel bike? isn't that like buying a boxxer for an Epic?:clue:

And guys, I'm only trying to discuss the rebound, not the compression circuit. I stated I know the dilemna when dealing withe low leverage ratio of the Sunday and tuning a shock to deal with it.:happydance:

I was just trying to address why it is people on Sundays say they feel like the DB is rebounding slow on their Sundays, nothing else. Chill.:brows:

DS Dom said:
Regarding them not working with customers, its true. I bought a DB for myself directly from CC......I called up CC and they said they are not offering any kind of custom tunes at this time, because it would be to hard for them to do.
That is NOT a definition of "not working with customers". You are asking a company to modify a shock outside of it's current design, which is not possible for Cane Creek to do currently. They don't have a way to mod the shock out to make it work for your Sunday even if they wanted to. They didn't design it. Ohlins did.

Not working with customers means that company refusesto do something that is within their means.

It is NOT within Cane Creek's means to customize the internal components of the Double Barrel currently. It's not a simple issue of modifying a shim stack or anything like on a basic valved design you know.

I could understand if you were calling Push and asking them to modify a shock to be custom tuned to your bike. That's their business. Cane Creek is not in the business of custom designing a single shock for 1 specific application from the ground up.

Does that make more sense?

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Just sell the 7point and get a new frame.

Maybe something cool like a Haro .357 ... oh, nevermind.

:biggrin:

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
you bought a Double Barrel for a 4 inch travel bike? isn't that like buying a boxxer for an Epic?:clue:

And guys, I'm only trying to discuss the rebound, not the compression circuit. I stated I know the dilemma when dealing with low leverage ratio of the Sunday and tuning a shock to deal with it.:happydance:

I was just trying to address why it is people on Sundays say they feel like the DB is rebounding slow on their Sundays, nothing else. Chill.:brows:

That is NOT a definition of "not working with customers". You are asking a company to modify a shock outside of it's current design, which is not possible for Cane Creek to do currently. They don't have a way to mod the shock out to make it work for your Sunday even if they wanted to. They didn't design it. Ohlins did.

Not working with customers means that company refuses to do something that is within their means.

It is NOT within Cane Creek's means to customize the internal components of the Double Barrel currently. It's not a simple issue of modifying a shim stack or anything like on a basic valved design you know.

I could understand if you were calling Push and asking them to modify a shock to be custom tuned to your bike. That's their business. Cane Creek is not in the business of custom designing a single shock for 1 specific application from the ground up.

Does that make more sense?
Bizutch, where did you get the idea that anyone said the REBOUND was too slow with the DB/Sunday mix? You were the first one to mention "rebound" on this thread, everyone else was talking compression, or that's the way it reads to me.

I understand you respect the guys at CC and some of them maybe even are friends but there is no way that can be called good customer service. Never mind that Ohlins designed the shock, someone at CC should be able to understand it well enough to come up with a Sunday tune (or from what you say - build). From what other people are saying that have experience with the DB/Sunday interface, it appears as though it's a case of "there's no reason it shouldn't work" when you buy it and "it's not the shock's fault - it's within tolerance" when it doesn't. The fact is that they should know it doesn't work with a Sunday in it's current guise and therefore shouldn't sell it for use on one.

Clever though it may be the DB's damping isn't magic. It does have shims and is therefore tunable. Here's a quote from CC's own webby:-

Adjustability: With multiple shim adjustment possibilities, the shock has been designed for a wide range of riding styles, and to meet the damping requirements of the many long-travel suspension bikes on the market.

I'm not getting at you or the shock - the design is after all the best out there but I'm not sure it's being handled the best.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
the only thing that's slowing down how fast the shock returns to full extension is the spring itself and the force it can generate on the linkage and associated parts tied to that link.

But somebody explain to me what in the linkage of the Sunday is going to cause a steel coil spring to react any different upon rebound with no oil flow limiting it's return to full extension??
You have it exactly correct Butch. The limiting factor comes down to the spring. On the DW link you can run amazingly low spring rates and still have all the proper pedaling platform and resistance against the large hits. What other bike allows a 200 lb rider to get away with running a 350 lb spring?

A 475 or 500 lb spring that you would run on other bikes is going to rebound with much more force than the 350 lb spring, thus generating the slower rebound.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO

Not working with customers means that company refusesto do something that is within their means.

Yes that makes sense, I think everyone realizes that since Ohlins designs and produces that shock and that it is not in Cane Creek's means to modify the valving and internals on the shock. Maybe it was worded wrong. But I think what Travis meant was it was unfortunate that Cane Creek was not able to offer a custome tune for the Sunday/ DW link. I seriously doubt he was implying bad customer service when he said they cant work with customers.

It is unfortunate because I am sure that alot of people would love to ride the Double Barrel on their Sundays. I have heard a TON of really great things about the Double Barrel on a bunch of other bikes. Cane Creek just happens to not be in a position that allows them to offer a custom tune. Oh well.

Fox is in a position to offer the tune, they do and the DHX works awesome.
Marzocchi is also in a position to do this and they offer a fully self serviceable and tunable shock, and I have heard that the ROCO works amazing once you get it set up right.
Manitou is now offering the Revox with a shim stack damping platform for these low leverage ratio bikes and would in theory work really well, It just happens to not fit the Sunday.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Yes that makes sense, I think everyone realizes that since Ohlins designs and produces that shock and that it is not in Cane Creek's means to modify the valving and internals on the shock. Maybe it was worded wrong. But I think what Travis meant was it was unfortunate that Cane Creek was not able to offer a custome tune for the Sunday/ DW link. I seriously doubt he was implying bad customer service when he said they cant work with customers.

It is unfortunate because I am sure that alot of people would love to ride the Double Barrel on their Sundays. I have heard a TON of really great things about the Double Barrel on a bunch of other bikes. Cane Creek just happens to not be in a position that allows them to offer a custom tune. Oh well.

Fox is in a position to offer the tune, they do and the DHX works awesome.
Marzocchi is also in a position to do this and they offer a fully self serviceable and tunable shock, and I have heard that the ROCO works amazing once you get it set up right.
Manitou is now offering the Revox with a shim stack damping platform for these low leverage ratio bikes and would in theory work really well, It just happens to not fit the Sunday.
cool. It takes so long to explain stuff in threads sometimes. One quick correction though. The Double Barrel is now 100% produced in house by Cane Creek. They are sourcing all piece parts from their vendors and hand building every single 1 in a tiny dust free room full of good music. At first, they had a few pieces that were supplied by Ohlins overseas b/c of supply chain stuff, but from what I was told around 9 months ago, they are now 100% directly built in house.

In response to the questions as to WHY Cane Creek doesn't tune the shocks for a specific shock, I can't answer that in full b/c I don't work there. One thing I can tell you currently is that they don't have a DESIGNER on staff who has the training and education to specificly modify the shock internally. This thing was designed from the ground up at Ohlins overseas for use in other applications.

Cane Creek and Ohlins partnered to bring it to technology to the MTB market. Ohlins has a US facility in Fletcher, NC (basicly Asheville) right down the road from Cane Creek. BUT, here is the important part. That facility hadn't even seen this technology until the guys at Cane Creek walked it in their door and showed it to them.

It all came from the overseas division. So it was even new to the US Ohlins facility.

In regards to tuning it for the Sunday, I know when me and DW talked at the US Open he had mentioned that he and Cane Creek spoke about getting together to go over how to make it work best for the Sunday, but I don't know that the meeting ever happened. From DW's comments, I assume they haven't as yet.

For just about any other application, it's a fantastic upgrade.

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
In response to the questions as to WHY Cane Creek doesn't tune the shocks for a specific shock, I can't answer that in full b/c I don't work there. One thing I can tell you currently is that they don't have a DESIGNER on staff who has the training and education to specificly modify the shock internally. This thing was designed from the ground up at Ohlins overseas for use in other applications.
I may be way wrong here, but with out machining a entirely new resivoir the design couldn't be tuned any faster or slower, unlike other designs where shims and valve sizes can easily be changed with standard parts.