Quantcast

Downhill bike setup question

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
I recently bought a SX trail frame for my riding needs. I do mostly downhill and was contemplating the idea of trading out my 36 talas for a triple clamp 7" fork such as a super T or a 7" 888. How many of you think this would be a good idea or would this make the bike ride uncomfortably.

Remember keep in mind I do mostly DH riding. I have seen a few pictures here of people riding the bike with a triple so if those people could give me advise thanks. No I will not just go with a 66 and call it done. I have a 36 150mm and the upgrade or downgrade to a 66 is not something I am thinking of doing.

Thank you. and once again would a triple on the SX trail make for a bad and uncomfortable DH ride bike.

If you are wondering this is the specs I'm running now.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
My gut reaction is that it would make the bike ride poorly because it would slacken the head angle too much and raise the handlebars too high. Keep in mind that the bike is designed around the new crop of 6" or 7" travel single crowns, which generally have lower axle-to-crown heights than triple clamp forks.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
I agree with dexterq, putting on a 7" triple is most likely going to make the bike a bit too slack (if it has a higher a-c height). Which will take away the advantages of the frame you have, which is nible and very responsive. You really should be looking at another frame if youre mostly doing DH.

Personally Id leave the setup you have atm, that bike rips the way it is right now. Use the advantages the bike has right now rather then trying to compromise it into a full blown DH rig.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Holy bar height bat man. You should get a 66 if you want a DH fork, either the RC2X or the SL. I would go for a 7" 66 RC2X.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Wow, harsh words. Here's my 2c.

What is the stock HA on that bike? 68? Just a guess considering it's intended use as a all-mountain/freeride bike. Now, 68 is a bit steep for DH so going from a 6" fork to a 7" fork with a slightly higher axle-to-crown would slacken you HA between 1-2 degrees making it PERFECT for DH. Now, it would also raise the BB a smidge, but I think it wouldn't be that noticable.
That bike is perfect for recreational DH. You won't win a world cup on it, but 6" of travel with a really good shock like a DHX is plenty.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
If you wanted it to be more of a dher, the best thing to do (in my opinion) would be to put a 66 on it. It is a nice do-most-everything setup right now though.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Mountain_Dewd said:
boxxer ride a option?

That would actually be a great DC option, plus you can find them used for pretty cheap and they've got 5-7" of travel so you can still climb with it.

[SPAM]I've got one for sale cheap, PM me[/SPAM]

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
you have half the people's on this site's dream setup right now why mess around with perfection.

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
The HA of that frame is 66.5 and 67.5 depending on which shock shuttle attachment you use when a fork such as the 36 van r is used!

This frame is rated up to 175mm of fork travel. I am not sure if a-c is the issue or not. I don't really understand it, but I think the travel of the fork is more important in voiding the warranty than the a-c height!\\

One thing I will ask, where do you feel the bike/set-up is lacking? Or was this just a question to see what others have felt?

All that said, I think with a heavy set of rubber/tubes, a 10mm rear axle, some 8" rotors and a 66rc2x 170/ 170 fox 40 would kill on that bike. Even a 7" boxxer:)
The only reason I did not keep miy sx trail II is because I wanted a bit more travel to handle the ruts and roots better in races. Slightly more travel is going to help you keep from skittering all over on those roots and rocks...This is not to say the sx cannot handle it!!! My opinion was that I am not a super smooth rider and after a year and a bunch of pivot/bearing replacements and root gardens/washboards in the DH races around here, my body would kill me. This environment will put a lot of additional stress on a bike (and you) that is mostly meant for heavy trail riding.
So I clawed together as much money as I could to try and get a slightly bigger rig! I got the intense uzzi instead.

If I were you, and not really interested in racing or anything I would get some big tires, heavy tubes, a used boxxer world cup and some heavy duty brakes! If you break that bike in this set-up you know youare ready to move up :)
I wasn't worried about breaking the bike, I was worried about breaking me!

Good luck

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Hey i got some Hope mono ^ tis from X-vert. Great powerful 205mm brakes.

I thinking of getting a 7 inch fork but i may just wait till the upgrade to come out for my fork, t0 160mm of travel form 170mm. This should help a little.

I have one question, why put heavy tubes in it? I have it weighted at just under 37 pounds.

Nov 9, 2005
he has momo 6 ti's that he has put on his bike they are just not shown in the picture. They added around 2-3 pounds on his bike.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
im sorrey they did not add 2-3 pounds they might of added like a pound at most. But the stoping power is increadable. I can really pic up speed and not have to worrey till the last few seconds to hite the brakes.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
SXtrailrider said:
Yes it can handle a 175mm triple clamp fork such as a super t and still be under warrenty.
Oh, I was thinking of the Enduro earlier. Sorry for the confusion.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
But i thought a lot of Dh try to get thier bike light. Would heavier tubes stabalize the bike better?

rzakt

Chimp
Jun 23, 2005
Co
Bicyclist said:
Do it if you want to void your warranty...
I'll second that. A guy I work with wants to buy a sx trail and put a dual crown on it and our Spec rep said it would void the warranty.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
yeah well i just cheacked the warrenty and the bike is made to have up to a 175mm dual crown fork w/ out voiding the warrenty. So he could do it if he wants.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Putting a DC fork on defeats the purpose of the bike. It's meant to be a lighter FR bike, to use with singlecrowns. If you wanted a DH bike, you should have gotten one.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
How many monkeys have had riding time on both the 66rc2x and the fox 36 talas. I you have could you give me insight on what i should do, sell or keep the fox.

remember the bike is my hucking Dh and everything else bike.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The 66rc2x's are really nice. I rode my freind's as-x with on for a few hours. Its a very nice fork. You won't be disapointed if you get it.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
SXtrailrider said:
But i thought a lot of Dh try to get thier bike light. Would heavier tubes stabalize the bike better?
its more of a convenience thing, for the avg rider the extra weight of the tubes is negligible compared to being more susceptible to getting flats on rooty, rocky trails.

The only reason pros use normal tubes is cause their lighter, and for them every little bit of weight taken off their bike helps

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
well i havn't gotten flat spots for over 4 months and i run low psi on reg tires so, does the extra weight actualy help stabalize your bike on the Dh course?

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Hey if i was to sell my 36 talas fork the one you see in the picture how much do you monkey's think i could get for it. I am completley serious. I was thinking $750

Gelbwurstbrot

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Franken, Germany
Take a Rock Shox Boxxer Ride u-turn

Fox Talas 32 120-147 mm travel a2c 531 mm (@146mm) 2422g
Boxxer Ride 136-182 mm travel a2c 540 mm (@182mm) 3317g
Marzocchi 66 light ETA 31-176 mm travel a2c 561 mm (@176mm) 2991g

DC forks have a lower a2c at the same travel like single crown