Quantcast

Downsides to the fox40 anyone?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Transcend said:
BWAHAHA - this coming from the avalanche/hope bandwagon driver himself. :thumb: Pot call the kettle black much?

As a side note, I have been waiting for this fork since I worked for fox 3 years ago and the dampers were in the prototype stage.
Hope and Avalanche are proven products, they have been out for several years and have shown to be durable and work well. Fox on the other hand has had the reputaion in recent years to make an avarage shock, not until they reliesed the DHX (which know one knows how it will last through a full season). Most we're bashing and/or jumping to Romic, 5th etc over the RC. They've had some issues with their single crown forks in the past, but have shown to be a great fork over the last few years. I'm not saying the 40 is a bad fork, all I'm saying is before people start pitching a product thats only been out a month or so, don't be so quick to judge it. You don't know how its going to hold up, you don't know people aren't going to be snaping the covers off the compression adjuster. Thats my only point, everyone was boasting about how great the 888 was before it was out, I got one based ONLY on it's projected hype and it just wasn't what it was cracked up to be at least for me. This is just my opinion.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Joe Pozer said:
Brian, even I had to laugh out loud at this line... :rolleyes: Not that you are a bandwagon person but you definitely are in the "best new part of the week crew".

At first I got a chuckle out of this thread now I read it in disbelief. Its amazing all the e-arguments going on over a fork that most of us haven't spent time on. Time will tell how good or bad this fork really is.

Anyways, back to the normally scheduled program.
So I love spending $ on new stuff to try them out, I'll never deny that.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Brian HCM#1 said:
Hope and Avalanche are proven products, they have been out for several years and have shown to be durable and work well. Fox on the other hand has had the reputaion in recent years to make an avarage shock, not until they reliesed the DHX (which know one knows how it will last through a full season). Most we're bashing and/or jumping to Romic, 5th etc over the RC. They've had some issues with their single crown forks in the past, but have shown to be a great fork over the last few years. I'm not saying the 40 is a bad fork, all I'm saying is before people start pitching a product thats only been out a month or so, don't be so quick to judge it. You don't know how its going to hold up, you don't know people aren't going to be snaping the covers off the compression adjuster. Thats my only point, everyone was boasting about how great the 888 was before it was out, I got one based ONLY on it's projected hype and it just wasn't what it was cracked up to be at least for me. This is just my opinion.
Now THOSE longevity issues are valid points. However, the fork itself (dampers, body, bushings etc) have been in various prototype stages over the last 4 years. It has beentested in the real world MUCH more then most people realize. As you daid yourself, the crown issues were solved right away (was a loctite issue actually), the bushing issues...are non existent. Fox is reknowned for making incredible dampers, I am 99% sure there will not be any major issues with this fork.

As for the bandwagon issue..it has no regard for new or old product, like it or not, you are the bandwagon leader. Also, in my opinion, my propedaled RCs felt light years better than an avalanche.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Avi riders seem to have little trouble getting their forks off the ground.

Terry, soon to be found beating the clock at a Qcup near you.

That being said, that 40 looks Sweeeeeeeeeet.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Transcend said:
the bushing issues...are non existent.
Spoken like a true Fox employee. Are you saying they've figured it out and solved the issue? Everybody I know (as in shaken their hand, not just e-quaintances) who has owned a fox fork felt the trademark clunky bushings. The 40 manual clearly states that there is a huge tolerance on the bushings, something like +/- .015, unless they've changed the bushings since the manual was printed I'm specualting that some people if not all will feel like the bushings are sloppy.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
crash test said:
No crack smoking going on over hear. I was under the impression that the DHF ti was about 9.5lbs with oil in it. I know Avy claims it is lighter. IF you actually weighed your fork than my point isn't as strong.. But the weight difference is more substantial with the Fox TI spring version.

Either way the Fox looks to be a good fork and i look forward to future feedback on it..

No reason to get all worked up. It sounds like one to many peple have slammed on your Avy.
I personnaly have a vendetta for fox and will never pay for one of their shocks ever again. the fork you said is 9.5 lbs is the dual damper avy, the single damper can be as light as 8lbs. I have heavier oil in mine and all that jazz. From the diagrams in the fox book the 40 is a single damper also. So all things equal when you buy a fox and you weigh over 160lbs your fork weighs in at 7.2lbs. for the same price you get an avy ti spring custom tuned.

To me its just logic to go with an avy over a 40rc(also bc i hate them). A little heavier custom tuned real ti spring for all weights yada yada yada.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Kornphlake said:
Spoken like a true Fox employee. Are you saying they've figured it out and solved the issue? Everybody I know (as in shaken their hand, not just e-quaintances) who has owned a fox fork felt the trademark clunky bushings. The 40 manual clearly states that there is a huge tolerance on the bushings, something like +/- .015, unless they've changed the bushings since the manual was printed I'm specualting that some people if not all will feel like the bushings are sloppy.
Ex employee. Guess what, I built forks and shocks when I worked there. The "trademark sloppy feel" is also why they are virtually stictionless. There is not isssue with the bushings at all. When ridden, they do not feel sloppy. I own 3 fox forks.

If you want to sit and rock it back and forth between your legs in a parking lot all day and complain, go right ahead. I prefer to ride mine.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Kornphlake said:
The manual also explains in detail how the hydraulic lubrication system works. Basically, the bushings have more slop at rest. When compressed, oil is pressurized around the bushings, virtually eliminating the slop.
You'd be surprised how much tolerance most forks have. My shiver had a .030 difference from one leg to the other. That isn't the bushings, that's the surface the bushings press into.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
this thread is a waste of time, but i got a laught or 10 out of it at least. i still get a kick from reading concerns that the bushings/seals etc won;t hold up under privateers who don't service their forks regularily. what the **** are you buying a $1600 race fork for then?

of all the things to break on a bike and you guys are worried about some little aluminum cap on a fork leg. . . as if there aren't other fork options in case you don;t feel comfortable with it hanging out there. not like you were gonna win the wold cup just 'cause you own a fox fork :nope:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Transcend said:
Ex employee. Guess what, I built forks and shocks when I worked there. The "trademark sloppy feel" is also why they are virtually stictionless. There is not isssue with the bushings at all. When ridden, they do not feel sloppy. I own 3 fox forks.

If you want to sit and rock it back and forth between your legs in a parking lot all day and complain, go right ahead. I prefer to ride mine.
The design intent is great, hydraulic bearings are ideal for lots of industrial applications, but Fox's execution is flawed I don't have any ideas how to fix it, that's for Fox to figure out. I could feel the slop while ridding on the fork I had as have others I've spoken to, even after hours of riding with oil weeping from the seals. Certain people claim they don't notice it, others do. I'm not saying the forks can't be ridden as they are, I'm just saying my preferance is for a fork that doesn't clunk and clatter and chatter enough to be felt through the handlebars when I ride through a rock garden. From what I've gathered it's a bit of a crap shoot when you buy a Fox fork, some bushings are closer to the nominal dimension and others are not. If I could test ride a new DH40 and buy it on the spot (assuming I actually had that much money) I might do it if I were to find one particular fork that is on the lower end of the bushing tolerance, I'd never consider mail order though.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Kornphlake said:
The design intent is great, hydraulic bearings are ideal for lots of industrial applications, but Fox's execution is flawed I don't have any ideas how to fix it, that's for Fox to figure out. I could feel the slop while ridding on the fork I had as have others I've spoken to, even after hours of riding with oil weeping from the seals. Certain people claim they don't notice it, others do. I'm not saying the forks can't be ridden as they are, I'm just saying my preferance is for a fork that doesn't clunk and clatter and chatter enough to be felt through the handlebars when I ride through a rock garden. From what I've gathered it's a bit of a crap shoot when you buy a Fox fork, some bushings are closer to the nominal dimension and others are not. If I could test ride a new DH40 and buy it on the spot (assuming I actually had that much money) I might do it if I were to find one particular fork that is on the lower end of the bushing tolerance, I'd never consider mail order though.
most of those people have no idea what they are talking about. 99% of the forks we got in for warranty claiming excess bushing slop were absolutely perfect when i test rode them.

Sure, maybe 1% of them make it through with QC problems or the bushings actually failed after time. What product doesn't? The rest of the problems are in riders heads.

As general lee said, if you buy a $1600 fork and break it through lack of maintenance or general rider incompetence, it is your fault, not the products'.

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
It seems like there is a hell of a lot of speculation going on here from people that haven't ridden the 40, which I have for about a month, or from people that don't understand the workings of the bushings. First off, the downsides, which is the point of this thread.
The new international dh caliper mount, not so internationally standard yet, but a good idea, and if you do get hope brakes, which I have, get a standard 6 inch rotor adaptor in the post mount version, problem solved. The 40's mount is lighter and cheaper.
Some people said the fork feels "linear" right out of the box. No ****. The adjustments are there to use, so right out of the box is not neccesarily right. Of the two compression adjusters on the lower leg on the RC2, turn the larger diameter one in, and voila, progressive.
The bushing play issue is something that is unique to Fox. What they did in designing the bushings is to give them a microscopic amount of space so that they do not bind. In the parking lot, there is a little bit of play. I sure do like to spend 1600 on a fork that I ride in the parking lot. When the fork is actually ridden, oil in the fork is forced in between the bushings and the upper tubes and completely fills the extra microscopic space, so your fork is solid, lubed, and doesn't bind. Riding the fork is just rediculous, it is like the smoothness and control of a great rear shock for the front.
The fork might break off your headtube it is so stiff.

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
General Lee said:
this thread is a waste of time, but i got a laught or 10 out of it at least. i still get a kick from reading concerns that the bushings/seals etc won;t hold up under privateers who don't service their forks regularily. what the **** are you buying a $1600 race fork for then?

of all the things to break on a bike and you guys are worried about some little aluminum cap on a fork leg. . . as if there aren't other fork options in case you don;t feel comfortable with it hanging out there. not like you were gonna win the wold cup just 'cause you own a fox fork :nope:
Word.
If you really don't wanna care about the stuff you save for, get a marzocchi. But don't come and complain about ride qualities similar to a covered wagon in it's early development stage.
This is performance stuff that needs to be dealt with accordingly.
I've a fox vanilla on my trails bike, and yes it has the sloppy parking lot feel, but it does work perfectly on the trails. Which is where i bought it for in the first place.
I've a dorado on my DH bike, and yes it requires a bit more maintenance than my shiver used to, but then again, ever since i have it, i've said goodbye to armpump, spiking in brake bumps, harsh bottom outs, and lousy tracking.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Yeah I guess this thread kinda derailed from post 2 or something.
I was just curious if any guys who had actually ridden the fork had any complaints about its performance or whatever.
I can buy a Fox RC2 so cheap that Ill make a profit if I sell my Dorado, thats the only reason why I was curious. I thought more travel up front might balance my bike better cause now I have 11" rear travel and 7 in front.
I think I know enough from the few posts that made sence, but feel free to go further with the e-speculation in this thread.
Oyeah Brian and Transcend... Get a room. :eviltongu :sneaky:

crash test

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Nepaug, CT
snowskilz said:
I personnaly have a vendetta for fox and will never pay for one of their shocks ever again. the fork you said is 9.5 lbs is the dual damper avy, the single damper can be as light as 8lbs. I have heavier oil in mine and all that jazz. From the diagrams in the fox book the 40 is a single damper also. So all things equal when you buy a fox and you weigh over 160lbs your fork weighs in at 7.2lbs. for the same price you get an avy ti spring custom tuned.

To me its just logic to go with an avy over a 40rc(also bc i hate them). A little heavier custom tuned real ti spring for all weights yada yada yada.
My Avy weighs 11.5lbs or so. But i have the double dampener, steel springs, larger diameter uppers, heavy oil, and triple pinch bolt clamp.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
LOOnatic said:
Agreed.
Mine sat for a while when i got hurt and when i rode it again it sucked.
Come to find out that the nitro was 80psi and needs to be 250!
If anyone would have rode my bike they too would of thought avy's were poo.
Craig will tell you his shocks need to be recharged once every 6 months.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
crash test said:
You must not have had oil or nitrogen in the Avy at the time..
Or I did, and thought it felt like an overdamped, oversprung shock good for jumping off 30ft cliffs. I have tried numerous ones, including one setup on a 223. I knwo what this bike SHOULD feel like. Most of these were riders around my weight (one was way heavier, so i won't even count that).

It had no sensitivity, rebounded slow as molasses and had a really odd compression feeling, not like it was oversprung, but like it had MUCH too much damping. Sort of like a 5th element cranked to full closed, with 150 psi air and with a spring 300 lbs too heavy for me.

Also - they all sounded like a clogged toilet (altho my propedal clanked like no tomorrow).

That was a vanilla RC, compare that to a DHX and there really isn't a comparison. For what I like to ride, the fox feels MUCH better.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Transcend said:
Or I did, and thought it felt like an overdamped, oversprung shock good for jumping off 30ft cliffs. I have tried numerous ones, including one setup on a 223. I knwo what this bike SHOULD feel like. Most of these were riders around my weight (one was way heavier, so i won't even count that).

It had no sensitivity, rebounded slow as molasses and had a really odd compression feeling, not like it was oversprung, but like it had MUCH too much damping. Sort of like a 5th element cranked to full closed, with 150 psi air and with a spring 300 lbs too heavy for me.

Also - they all sounded like a clogged toilet (altho my propedal clanked like no tomorrow).

That was a vanilla RC, compare that to a DHX and there really isn't a comparison. For what I like to ride, the fox feels MUCH better.
For a single pivot I prefer the feel of a 5th over a Fox or Romic, never tried an Avy on one.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
well i got my 40R today and was stoked to see that it doesnt have that huge adjustment knob on the bottom of the leg! I guess thats just on the RC2 that it has that.
Havnt ridden it yet but just playing with it for a few min it already feels amazing (was alittle clunky/sticky at first but is already loosening up). Its supposed to have like 10 hours of break in time anyways. The adjustments work really well! And thats ontop of it being stupid light, i cant beleive it. cant wait to ride the thing

nickaziz

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Transcend said:

If anything, the Avy's I've ridden feel over damped and under sprung. I like that feel though. Feels just like a mx bike to me. My rebound is never too slow.

I have never felt a Fox RC that has ridden nicely, but I'm open to seeing how the DHX feels. 5ths feel great on certain bikes (v10). Manipoos feel good too, but all the ones i've seen leak oil. I liked the romic i've ridden on a dhr.

As for front forks, Avy forks have a heavy damping feel also. I like the feel of older marzocchis, but the 888 feels a little springy to me. I hate how shermans feel, but like the feel of dorados (strangely enough). Fox xc forks feel amazing.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Brian HCM#1 said:
Craig will tell you his shocks need to be recharged once every 6 months.

Yeah...it is strange how people compare their shocks to the Avy wheich they have not maintained at all......I think I should compare my Avy to a blown Fox, Romic or 5th....... :oink:

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
beaverbiker said:
Plattekille is weak. I dont know what all the hype is about. The rocks move out of your way. Try riding in santa barbara, where the fork was tested a lot. Way bigger rocks, and they don't move out of the way.
Amen to that...people really have no idea...plattekill is not gnarly....Cold Springs/Tunnel are gnarly....those rocks don't move, and they break you in half when you eat **** on them.....The santa barbara trails have literally 5-10 minutes per track of what most people would consider a "rock garden"...that place scares the balls off of me in a way that plattekill never did....and i've ridden every trail in existence at plattekill.....when you crash in S.B. you get injured no matter what and it takes 10 minutes to get up....those rocks don't move for anyone...it's quite the humbling experience....I used to be one of those jackasses that hailed plattekill and thought it was the gnarliest place on earth..............then i moved out west

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Transcend said:

In that case, you obviously didn't ride one that was set up for you...which in turn means you have NO BASIS for comparison....anyone can bitch about ride quality of something that isn't set up for them....I'm sure you would be singing a different tune if you try one set up correctly.....because mine feels nothing like what you described

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Yes, - people seem to buy second hand Avy shocks, - ignoring the fact that it has to be revalved, - the riding it and complaining about it..........it is like a spring, folks....you can not have one size of spring for everyone !

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
nickaziz said:
Manipoos feel good too, but all the ones i've seen leak oil.
And the ones that came stock on our 223s sounded like clogged toilets. Absolute scrap. Our 5ths were amazing last year, the manitou was junk. Funny how 2 nearly identical shocks can be miles apart in feel.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ian Collins said:
In that case, you obviously didn't ride one that was set up for you...which in turn means you have NO BASIS for comparison....anyone can bitch about ride quality of something that isn't set up for them....
For a rider of a similiar style, of the same weight. I was about as close as I'd get without buying one for myself (which won't be happening).

Personally, i don't like how they feel. Period. I am not alone in this regard.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Transcend said:
For a rider of a similiar style, of the same weight. I was about as close as I'd get without buying one for myself (which won't be happening).

Personally, i don't like how they feel. Period. I am not alone in this regard.

SO....sorry if this has been discussed before, - but what was it about the Avy you did not like ? :confused:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Transcend said:
And the ones that came stock on our 223s sounded like clogged toilets. Absolute scrap. Our 5ths were amazing last year, the manitou was junk. Funny how 2 nearly identical shocks can be miles apart in feel.

about as far apart as America and Taiwan

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i was wondering, can the ppl who make custom springs change the spring rate of a spring? eg: change the spring rate of the ti spring of the 40 to what the rider needs.
sorry if its kinda off topic.

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
you cant change the rate of the spring.

dont know if this has been mentioned(didnt read the whole thread as it was rather derailled) but on my first serious ride of my fork today i took some good size air (maybe 12 of hieght(guess)), landing into braking bumps and my spring leg slipped in the crowns about half an inch,the bolts were torqued up right, it was a hard landing but not something i'd expect to happen.