Rims: DT Swiss EX5.1
Stem: Thomson X4
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Bar: Easton MonkeyLite CNT Lowriser
Chainguide: E.13 LG
Cranks: Race Face Atlas + E.13 Guidering
Pedals: Tioga SF-MX Pro or CB Mallet M
RD + shifter : SRAM X.0
Cables: nokon housing/cable system ( not on pictures )
Brakes: good old hayes

weight = 12.7 KG = 28 lbs

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
would you guys recomend a dual suspension bike with 4 inches of travel over a hard tail?

im havin such a hard time to figure out what bike to get. either a STP or a trance.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
i like riding a fully with 3-4 inches of travel for slalom but thats just me. it also depends on the geo too. i dont remeber the geo on the trance but the stp has really short stays and i personaly don't like that for slalom, it makes it feels kinda un stable at speed

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Steel HT, then setup is key and tires ya can trust

Loving the DS at mo, we built ourselves a track and its rocking, this action was from a few days ago, where doing the gappers now instead of rolling em.
I run a ToP and now use it for nearly everything its so versatile, Im running SS so still experimenting with right ratio's but 36/16 is all round for me, I top out sometimes just have to keep rotating, switched back to one brake only just a rear, larsen tts or holy rollers are the tires I prefer..

Here's a look at some of our action, Im on the right..

Dam I can't embed it ahh

DS action

Amazing what steel can let you away with steel is real monkeys:monkeydance:

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
No pics and most of this is because I just had the parts laying about. Some of it is way out of place on a slalom bike as well.

Turner Rail
Some Fox air rear shock
Rock Shox Argyle 409
Hope Ti6 Front
Hope M4 Rear
Mavic 729 rims
Deity bars
XT crank
XT rear mech
LX pod
Thompson elite seatpost
True****ness stem

Gopher

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
Spokane WA
here's mine currently 33.4 but will be losing some weight gonna get a new fork the matching front wheel and cranks and a guide.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
i've actually decided to go back to a hardtail (first time since i started racing slalom). this isn' my bike, but it's a pic of what frame i'll be running...
Iron Horse Sachem

not sure exactly what parts yet & it'll be a different color by 'otter.

will probably be a mix of SRAMano... trying out an X-Fusion Velvet fork, Mavic Crossmax wheels, Funn bars, e13 guide, SDG parts & whatever else i can find in the shop! :D

E.T.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
NorCal
Here's my 15" Iron Horse MKIII slalom bike.

The rear shock has been reduced down from a 7.5" eye to eye to a 6-7/8" eye to eye. This drops the bottom bracket and allows for a shorter fork. rear travel is approximately 3".

My BB is fairly low at a hair under 12" but I can still run 170mm cranks without clipping.

Ideally I could have used the 17" frame size to get a longer wheelbase for some extra stability, but the 15" was nice in real tight corners, tech jumps, and roller sections.

Things to look for in a slalom bike are...

-Light weight

-Low to the ground

-Corners well

-Pedals efficiently

-Takes the edge off bumps but doesn't destroy your pumping (jumps/rollers and out of berms)

-Shifting is very precise and reliable with a good chainguide like a Gamut P series. Miss a shift and you'll most likely lose.

Hope this helps you with your decision. Slalom is a blast and you'll have fun regardless of the bike.

-ET

Attachments

Ideally I could have used the 17" frame size to get a longer wheelbase for some extra stability, but the 15" was nice in real tight corners, tech jumps, and roller sections.-ET
I always thought the shorter the wheelbase the better for slalom for my own personal preferences, but i guess it ultimately depends on the type of course. I'm looking at the Yeti 4x right now - nice short (42 ish) wheelbase. I likes my bikes to be a little snap, snap, snappy.

Gopher

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
Spokane WA
if you like um snappy check out the tazer i got a chance to spend multiple days on a brodie and a blur 4x before i made my choice on the tazer this thing is crazy fast compared to the others but im also 5'8"

if you like um snappy check out the tazer i got a chance to spend multiple days on a brodie and a blur 4x before i made my choice on the tazer this thing is crazy fast compared to the others but im also 5'8"
I have never ridden a tazer, but they are short bikes no doubt. I'm 6'1 though, so i don't know if it would be too short. I had a Yeti 4x in the long size and sold it like an idiot to help finance my 2006 race season (DH) - regretted getting rid of it.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
would you guys recomend a dual suspension bike with 4 inches of travel over a hard tail?

im havin such a hard time to figure out what bike to get. either a STP or a trance.
Good choices you won't go wrong either way, I own both. The Stp is great
for 4x reaally fast starts, and great angles. The stays on mine aren't too short
but, it is a 06 model. They shortened em in 07 but I think they are back to the old length now. Check the specs.
The only thing that keeps me from saying the Trance is the best fs ds bike
is it's HA and you can fix that by reducing travel by 1/4 inch.
The frame is way lighter than anything else and can take a beatin

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
The only thing that keeps me from saying the Trance is the best fs ds bike
is it's HA and you can fix that by reducing travel by 1/4 inch.
The frame is way lighter than anything else and can take a beatin
So, what do you guys think would be an ideal HA for a slalom/4X bike (considered it would have to do some trail riding as well...) ?

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
fork modded by cortina...works GREAT (best single crown ive ridden) dont let the nixon outers fool ya, its trick..its for sale too ;)..you can slam it down to 3.5 inches..

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Steel HT, then setup is key and tires ya can trust

Loving the DS at mo, we built ourselves a track and its rocking, this action was from a few days ago, where doing the gappers now instead of rolling em.
I run a ToP and now use it for nearly everything its so versatile, Im running SS so still experimenting with right ratio's but 36/16 is all round for me, I top out sometimes just have to keep rotating, switched back to one brake only just a rear, larsen tts or holy rollers are the tires I prefer..

Here's a look at some of our action, Im on the right..

Dam I can't embed it ahh

DS action

Amazing what steel can let you away with steel is real monkeys:monkeydance:
I have the same bike, Just got it rolling last night. Still not sure if I want to run a SS or 1x9

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
So, what do you guys think would be an ideal HA for a slalom/4X bike (considered it would have to do some trail riding as well...) ?
I'd say between 68 to 69 degree HA. works good for slalom mtx dj park
Alot of dj park frames set up alot steeper 71 - 72 even.
Over 70 degrees sets the front wheel set too close to the downtube
and causes the bike to overturn in tight or quick turns, this effect increases
on steeper terrain (why your DH bike has a 65-66 HA)
and makes the bike twitchy at speeds of a fast MTX course.
Good slalom geometry is somewhere close to the following numbers for average height racers
68.5 HA 22-22.5" TT 16-17" CS 12-13" BB ht.
3-4" travel max. on FS
3-4" travel max. fork

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I have to have some back surgery the first week in January, but I'm hoping by the time the full season breaks out, I'll be ready!
Here are my Mountain Cross and Dual Slalom rides for '08!

Merry xmas and Happy New Year Monkies!

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Mine...turner 4x w/ 36 talas at 4 inches, I9s, etc...somewhere right around 30 lbs. I use it for basically everything I don't ride my DH bike for.