Quantcast

Dual Sussy SS bikes

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Is this the year of the Dual Suspension SS bikes?

I'm noticing more and more of these bikes, but i don't see anyone riding them, with the exception of the LePink.... and the pro's.

i think this one is VERY sweet!

http://whoryder.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I'm def. not in the market for one.... just noticed that alot of companies are coming out with Dually SS bikes and selling them as "DJ bikes".... i think they are more...

Are they DJ bikes? Or are they Slopestyle or 4x?

Either way, it's good to see how technology is changing things.... the kill switch is Awesome looking, as is the Le Pink.... but the frame above (Dartmor Shine) looks amazing...

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I usually ride rigid but these are very interesting. They would be nice for the rougher areas or flat landings. Not going to spend that kind of money for the occasional ride though.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
yeah the prices for these things are ridiculous.... last i heard the Killswicth will be something like 1500+.... for a frame alone & shock... the MOBs were like 500, the new Contraband is 399.99, you telling me they spend over 1K + for bearings and a Shock? Insanity!

But the Killswitch is sweet as hell though... but the price is a no-no....

The LePink Price is just right... Considering you take in effect the difference between Canadian Dollar and the American Dollar....

That Liquid bike is great looking too!

Last edited:

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
i love that promo vid they released for the killswitch.

double been around for a long time. ss fully is nothing new, but a steel ss fully is def a new concept, me thinks.

so a steel ss fully.... does that mean u can do some grinding on it?

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
i love that promo vid they released for the killswitch.

double been around for a long time. ss fully is nothing new, but a steel ss fully is def a new concept, me thinks.

so a steel ss fully.... does that mean u can do some grinding on it?
Yeah you are right the double has been around for a minute.... but i have not seen anyone rock it SS until last year sometime.

Dare i say Pegs on a Killswitch?

Luckynumber13

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
NJ
The dartmoor you posted is really cheap for a fully.
Only 2400 Polish Zloty which = $840 usd
it also weighs only 2.8kg or 6.17 lbs without the shock compared to the killswitch at ~7.5lbs and the le pink at ~8 lbs
They say it'll be available in summer, so we'll still have to wait a while.
The only bad thing i can see about this frame is that the top tube might be a little high, and the chainstays are a bit long at 16.14" especially compared to the le pink which is only 15.25" (shorter than a mob!)
But the killswitch has 16" chainstays which are also pretty long.
Also Im pretty sure its a one sixe only with a 22" top tube which is too small for me.

Also NS bikes are also supposed to come out with a ss fully, but they have no details or pics yet.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
There are more "dirt jumpers" than there are "slopestyle" riders, so companies will market their bikes as such.

Not to say they won't work at the djs, because they will, but from a business stand point that's where they are coming from. ;)

Luckynumber13

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
NJ
ya but none of those are ss pivot,

so you have to run a tensioner...

i have no idea how the bass is run like without the chain snapping off...
i guess the axle path is inward so the chain becomes slacker, but then wouldn't the chain fall off easy? Also im thinking the pivot is really close to the bb causing minimal chainstay length difference

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC

i guess the axle path is inward so the chain becomes slacker, but then wouldn't the chain fall off easy? Also im thinking the pivot is really close to the bb causing minimal chainstay length difference

The cowan/bass is concentric if I remember correctly. I guess that make Kona ahead of the game by a few years

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC

I'm pretty sure you're wrong here. The pivot on the Bass is definitely around the bottom bracket shell, so the chainstays maintain a constant length.

The LePink does the same thing, I believe by having the swingarm pivot around the spindle for the bb, but I could be wrong on that one.

As you can see here, in the bottom right pic, the killswitch pivots at the bb as well:
http://www.blackmarketbikes.com/products/killswitch.jpg

The Double and Banshee definitely need tensioners, but it looks like the Dartmoore is similar to the rest with the bb pivot.

That said, I know very little about suspension, so feel free to correct me anyone.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I had the kona, didnt like it much, personally the "suspension" only takes your pop and doesnt smooth out anything, the blackmarket is a bike i would try, but i didnt like the kona.

Daman

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
Some nice picture i found from some Le Pink Build

Le Pink use a 19mm BMX axle as the pivot axle and crank axle at the same time.
All on fat R12 bearings...very simple and stiff system :)

For what i can remember Arrow racing was one of the first...by a loooong shot.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I like Le Pink a lot. I like the idea of the short travel ss frames. I would love Transition if they redesigned the Double with a concentric bottom bracket. Kona doesn't really get anything right imo.

Daman

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
Ooo..also...wasent the first Rothec DH bike with a concentric bottom bracket ?

It was long like a scool buss...one of the ''desavantage'' of that style of pivot, if you want travel...it will be long, but it works good if you want it short and small travel.

Luckynumber13

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
NJ
I'm pretty sure you're wrong here. The pivot on the Bass is definitely around the bottom bracket shell, so the chainstays maintain a constant length.

The LePink does the same thing, I believe by having the swingarm pivot around the spindle for the bb, but I could be wrong on that one.

As you can see here, in the bottom right pic, the killswitch pivots at the bb as well:
http://www.blackmarketbikes.com/products/killswitch.jpg

The Double and Banshee definitely need tensioners, but it looks like the Dartmoore is similar to the rest with the bb pivot.

That said, I know very little about suspension, so feel free to correct me anyone.
Ya the le pink, killswitch, and dartmoor are all concentric bb pivots, which is why I mentioned them earlier...
so are the arrow, and kona(i wasn't aware that the kona was, but after some research I see it is...I thought it was a regular kona faux bar.)
The commencal absolute is also a concentric pivot style frame but like the kona (and arrow), the geometry on it isn't as good on it as the le pink, killswitch and shine
I think there's 2 or 3 other concentric pivot style frames, but their geo numbers weren't that good either.

The double and banshee shouldn't be in this thread as like you said they need tensioners

Luckynumber13

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
NJ
Some nice picture i found from some Le Pink Build

Le Pink use a 19mm BMX axle as the pivot axle and crank axle at the same time.
All on fat R12 bearings...very simple and stiff system :)

For what i can remember Arrow racing was one of the first...by a loooong shot.
I saw those builds about a week ago and I thought they were some of the sexiest slopestyle bikes ever:thumb:

The le pink seems super strong too, i would trust it on any huge jump or drop, as its chromoly and the tubes are so much thicker than on the pinscher... and the headtube and everything is nice and reinforced..the rear end is super stiff too...
And the craftsmanship and quality is amazing!!
Great job Dobermann:thumb:
I guess it could be a little lighter(thats the only fault I can find with the frame), but Im thinking that then the strength would be greatly sacrificed and would cause a lot more flex..the frame seems soo bombproof right now

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Just received an email from Blackmarket bikes....

"The Killswitch will sell in the US for USD$1399 and will ship with a headset, seatpost clamp and horizontal dropouts (with integrated hanger) and we expect it to be ready to release in late April."

That's a great deal... With the exception of a shock (this is an assumption since the shock was not mentioned in the email).... I think LePink goes for the same but with a shock....

I have emailed to see if the Killswitch Includes a shock!

It's a toss up, the Build quality from the LePink is Second to none....

I would get the LePink over the Killswitch, but that's just me!

Last edited:

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Just received an email from Blackmarket bikes....

"The Killswitch will sell in the US for USD$1399 and will ship with a headset, seatpost clamp and horizontal dropouts (with integrated hanger) and we expect it to be ready to release in late April."

That's a great deal... With the exception of a shock.... I think LePink goes for the same but with a shock....

It's a toss up, the Build quality from the LePink is Second to none....

I would get the LePink over the Killswitch, but that's just me!
stupid question, are you certain that the killswitch doesn't include a shock or since one wasn't mentioned you assume it's not included?

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
stupid question, are you certain that the killswitch doesn't include a shock or since one wasn't mentioned you assume it's not included?
I just emailed them and asked if it came with a shock.... I edited my post above......

I'm assuming.... will fix when i get a reply!

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
They just got back to me the Killswitch includes an X-Fusion shock...

Wow, now the killswitch is an AMAZING deal for you folks looking for an DJ/Slopestyle/4X bike...

1399.99 includes, shock, frame, dropouts, seat clamp & headset.

Daman

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
There is a bit of a price difference between a Xfusion and a Fox shock..
But yes..both frames are well priced for what they are.

NSBikesRider

Chimp
Mar 3, 2010
Nottingham
to be honest, these bikes were designed for gears for a reason, a dual suspension bike is sort of for longer journeys, where a hardtale just cant keep you going, or for downhill and freeride, if you make it into a SS, then its sort of pointless, you trying to combine a SS jumpbike/ BMX and a DH, FR bike, these two styles, just dont really mix, and plus, they do look awful with those horrible tension seekers

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
to be honest, these bikes were designed for gears for a reason, a dual suspension bike is sort of for longer journeys, where a hardtale just cant keep you going, or for downhill and freeride, if you make it into a SS, then its sort of pointless, you trying to combine a SS jumpbike/ BMX and a DH, FR bike, these two styles, just dont really mix, and plus, they do look awful with those horrible tension seekers
hmmm
i think u're missing the point of these
plus, maybe i'm crazy, but i havnt shifted gears on my DH/FR bike since i bought it

Daman

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
i ride single speed on my XC and commuter bike...so much simplier...no noise..noting that can be rip off by rocks...no problems..and its cheap LOL

The next big trend...fixed gear suspension bikes! haha!

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
No knock to Dob what-so-ever but the killswitch looks so much more beef than the Pink. I'm not concerned with weight so that's not a factor if it's a lot heavier than the Pink. I've been wanting a short travel ss rig, wondering how I'm gonna justify it to the wife tho.

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
i think they only reason it looks like more beef is the hydroformed aluminum vs conventional cromo tubing. whys the killswitch on whoryders blog already compressed in the rear? all the other ones ive seen have the bb nowhere near as low in the back at rest

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2004
you guys are forgetting what i think is the first? concentric bb bike: cove g spot

...although the pic is of the newer, updated model g spot