Quantcast

Ducati releases the Desmosedici RR

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So Ducati is out of their skulls. They just released the Desmo today. Rumours have been flying for awhile, but this is off the hook. They basically took their factory GP bike, and added flashers and a license plate holder.

if you have the skill to pay the bills, you can show up at the next GP race and be a contender. More than likely however, you'd just be dead by the apex of corner #1.

$60 000 gets you lots of titanium and carbon fiber (including a full body kit), 200+hp and the priviledge of being 1 of 400 ever built.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Not going to lie, because I have a Duc problem, if I had the cash, I'd go beat the snot out of Lyle Lovett to be #2 in line behind the Prince of Dubai.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Tattooo said:
Not going to lie, because I have a Duc problem, if I had the cash, I'd go beat the snot out of Lyle Lovett to be #2 in line behind the Prince of Dubai.
Do you already own a 999r? 'Cause if not, you won't be getting one. :mumble: . They are going Ferarris route with the Enzo. If you didn't own their flagship bike before this, you aren't getting this one.

This is a little bit more in my budget, also a mid season 07 release. Now this is some sick retro styling. 70s ahoy!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
S.K.C. said:
On the Desmo:
... :eek:

Damn!

Transcend:

...I'll take sex.

Death sucks - especially as coitus interruptus.:D
I dunno...death on a desmo sounds like a pretty damn fun way to go. 200mph+ into a concrete wall covered in Dainese logos...oh the irony.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Transcend said:
So Ducati is out of their skulls. They just released the Desmo today. Rumours have been flying for awhile, but this is off the hook. They basically took their factory GP bike, and added flashers and a license plate holder.
Did you just say "off the hook"?

:rofl:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
200 horsepower... and how much does it weigh?

They must not be looking for any repeat customers :dead:. All 400 of 'em are gonna end up dead or in prison.

Buetang

Glides like KY
Apr 16, 2002
¤ HCOR.net ¤
Jeremy R said:
And I am still drooling over their new little Monster 695.
I have realistic drools.
I'll sell ya my Monster 750 ;)

I'm about to pay it off... then I want to get either the new S2R1000 or one of the new "retro" bikes to cruise around on...

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Quamen said:
WTF has this got to do with DH
shhhhhh...

edit: I did see a Duc race replica parked on the street about a month ago. I really wish I knew more about the racers or the pro-replica models, it was an incredible looking bike.

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
Transcend said:

if you have the skill to pay the bills, you can show up at the next GP race and be a contender. More than likely however, you'd just be dead by the apex of corner #1.

$60 000 gets you lots of titanium and carbon fiber (including a full body kit), 200+hp and the priviledge of being 1 of 400 ever built.
Well, they had to do quite a bit more than just adding flashers to the GP bike, but that's just nitpicking. Looks cool but I would never buy one even if I had the money to burn. I've ridden a 999 and was not overly impressed; it's italian, it has a lot of idiosyncrasies.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I am not a motorcycle guy (yet), but i have been eyeing up an late model Monster for when my company moves into the city...Any comments on those?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Quamen said:
WTF has this got to do with DH
Nothing but if Fraser posted this in the lounge the fab 5 would tell him that he should buy a subaru forester because those are the only worth vehicles...

This forum can appreciate a machine like that...

(Fraser, arent you glad i know what you are thinking :think:)...

Quamen

Chimp
May 18, 2006
England
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Nothing but if Fraser posted this in the lounge the fab 5 would tell him that he should buy a subaru forester because those are the only worth vehicles...

This forum can appreciate a machine like that...

(Fraser, arent you glad i know what you are thinking :think:)...
That makes it ok then :rolleyes:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You can always follow the "if you don't like it, don't click on it" method. Clearly, you don't enjoy fine Italian craftsmanship or ridiculously powered motorcycles. So why did you open the thread?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
stiksandstones said:
Anyone find it weird that the moderator posted some road bikes in a Downhill forum?
when he posts photos of a work of art like that ?
i dare anyone to have a problem with that.

absolutely beautiful.

there's a guy who lives down the hill from me who owns a yellow monster.
when he's leaving his driveway and coming up the road, the sound is pure music.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Transcend said:
Do you already own a 999r? 'Cause if not, you won't be getting one. :mumble: . They are going Ferarris route with the Enzo. If you didn't own their flagship bike before this, you aren't getting this one.

This is a little bit more in my budget, also a mid season 07 release. Now this is some sick retro styling. 70s ahoy!
They were always well on the way to being the Ferarri of motorcycles, this just clenches that asshat, eurotrash vibe. While I would never speak ill of the empire Desmo built, this is kind of annoying.

If I used to have a 748r does that buy me the ability to crank one off in the presence of the Desmo RR?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Quamen said:
That makes it ok then :rolleyes:
Quit being such an ornery marmite-man.

You've got less then 20 posts right now, you want more DH stuff, start a thread of your own on something.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Oh yeah, whats the special deal with the motors? I knew they did something different, and you can sorta hear it, but can someone e-distil it for me?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I am not a motorcycle guy (yet), but i have been eyeing up an late model Monster for when my company moves into the city...Any comments on those?
I've had three of them, loved each and every one. Not so rad for the 8 hour, ride from Reno to Eugene, but for around town it was the best bike I've ever had. I am putting my foodstamps in a pile for an 800 S2R this summer I hope. My 748r got flooded in the hurricane, so now I need a new toy.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Tame Ape said:
Oh yeah, whats the special deal with the motors? I knew they did something different, and you can sorta hear it, but can someone e-distil it for me?
Depends on the particular motor. Mostly it is a valve issue. The Desmo valve is very special, and makes the bike very nice. More torque is most of the game.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Tattooo said:
Depends on the particular motor. Mostly it is a valve issue. The Desmo valve is very special, and makes the bike very nice. More torque is most of the game.
Exactly. Their 2 big setup specialties are the Desmo valving system and the Testretta engine configuration. Both of them growl instead of whine like their Japanese counterparts. The old Kobe commercial (for nike I think?) cracked me up. He was on a 998R and they used some clapped out Japanese sewing machine noise to go with it.

The Desmo RR is a 4 cylinder, hugely powerful engine and is in all of the Duc GP bikes. This bike is basically the first, street legal, race bred GP bike.

Four cylinder, belt actuated, desmo valved (L-quattro): Only the Desmosedici GP6 (and now the desmo RR)

edit: from Wikipedia:

Desmodromic valves are those which are positively closed by a cam and leverage system, rather than relying on the more conventional springs to close the valves. It is derived from two Greek roots, desmos (controlled, linked) and dromos (course, track).
The benefit of desmodromic valves lies in the ability to allow high rpm without the risks of causing a collision between valves and piston. Also the friction is lower. Famous examples include the successful Mercedes-Benz W196 and Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR race cars as well as Ducati motorcycles.
This is in the context of internal combustion engines. The valves in question are the ones that allow air into the cylinder and (usually different ones) that allow exhaust gases out. This refers, for example, to the valve control system used in Ducati engines: both valve movements (opening and closing) are "operated". It is usual to say that action on the valve is positive in both cases, in other words, both strokes are controlled.
Desmodromic valve actuation has been applied to top-of-the-range Ducati motorcycles since the early 1970s. Two primary mechanical methods have been used to transfer timing information, from the crankshaft, to the camshaft and ultimately the rocker arms and valves. Initially bevel-driven camshafts were used. This involved transferring the timing information via several bevel (part conical gears where the rotating axis' of the two lie on an angle - 90° for example) gears and a shaft running on the outside of the engine block. Then at around 1977, Chief Design Engineer Fabio Taglioni completed and tested an actuation system that used rubberized metal belts with timing teeth. These teeth would mesh with timing pulleys, also external to the main engine block, and transmit the timing information to the valves.
The primary reason for Desmodromic (Colloquial - "Desmo") systems is to improve valve timing at higher engine revolutions. On very high performance valve spring engines, the spring does not always have time to return to its pre-compressed position, causing the camshaft to recompress the spring and valve prematurely. This is called "valve float". The Desomodromic system also eliminates the extra "work" spent by the motor to open spring actuated valves. Therefore giving more actual power at the wheel rather than using it to work against the seat pressure on the spring.
The disadvantage of Desmodromic valve system is it's high service cost and more frequent service durations, due to the low-tolerant precision required to run the system.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
growl indeed.

if i had the $$$, i'd take one over a vette C6 or viper any day.
because i live just a short drive from "the dragon".

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
dhbuilder said:
growl indeed.

if i had the $$$, i'd take one over a vette C6 or viper any day.
because i live just a short drive from "the dragon".
You are not helping my burning desire to get a Monster 695.
I need to look at my compound fracture scars from my last street bike, that always puts out the flames.:)

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Honestly some of the best race prep and practice I have ever had for DH was riding my street bike. Teaches you really how to corner, how to counter steer, how to keep something that big on two wheels.

Yea, it might have an engine, but take a 400 pound, 135bhp bike down a paved set of switch backs, and all of the sudden you're a better DH rider. Ask Missy Giove, she swore by that system.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Tattooo said:
Honestly some of the best race prep and practice I have ever had for DH was riding my street bike. Teaches you really how to corner, how to counter steer, how to keep something that big on two wheels.

Yea, it might have an engine, but take a 400 pound, 135bhp bike down a paved set of switch backs, and all of the sudden you're a better DH rider. Ask Missy Giove, she swore by that system.
She also swore by flipping volvos soooo......:rofl:

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
If I was going to flip anything, it would be a Volvo. I've done the barrel roll in a Tahoe, a CJ and an old 911, and I have to say, none of them were that much fun in an inverted cluster screw manuver.

Then again, maybe I should stop taking plays from her particular hymnial on the universe.