Quantcast

DW's new suspension design. the split pivot.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
News, yeah, I have some of that...
Spooky Mothership

Eta- the future, Country of Origin, US and A
frameset $2.2k or so.

A bike to ride really fast up and downhills.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
DW, I'm just curious how is it possible that TREK can sell the same idea of concentric rear pivot like your Split-Pivot is? Especially if your patent application predates TREK's attempts by 1 year. Has there been any agreement between you and Trek ?

bradflyn

Chimp
Oct 27, 2008
Washington
I'm just curious how is it possible that TREK can sell the same idea of concentric rear pivot like..
It looks like Trek just used Hugo Becker's old axel pivot patent idea of simplicity and added a floating shock and patented the combination?

google patent application searched it and the trek patent and it just seems like a combination patent of simple rear and floating shock the way it reads

Anyone else try to figure out what all these patents say???

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Now I'm not sure if DW's patent mentions even floating shock possibility but I remember DW talking about "very strong position" of SplitPivot. And if he hadn't forgotton to include floating shock arangement in his patent then Trek's ABP should be out of game. Or ... ?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
DW, I'm just curious how is it possible that TREK can sell the same idea of concentric rear pivot like your Split-Pivot is? Especially if your patent application predates TREK's attempts by 1 year. Has there been any agreement between you and Trek ?

In any case like this, a patent portfolio is enforceable once it issues. Although the Split Pivot case is in the advanced stages of pending, it still has not issued. Once a patent portfolio issues, that only gives the patent holder the license to go through the proper channels to protect the idea. In other words, you can legally file documentation with the governments of the world, and try to get the infringing party to respect the patent holder's intellectual property. This typically costs millions of dollars, and in the end it's a disaster for both parties. Trek has a prior history of being a very respectable company, and I have high hopes that the Split Pivot situation will be rectified amicably well before anything damaging happens.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Now I'm not sure if DW's patent mentions even floating shock possibility but I remember DW talking about "very strong position" of SplitPivot. And if he hadn't forgotton to include floating shock arangement in his patent then Trek's ABP should be out of game. Or ... ?
Yup, the floating shock arragement is mentioned in great detail in the Split Pivot applications and illustrated. Take a look for yourself.

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=20080067772&OS=20080067772&RS=20080067772

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-adv.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&p=1&S1=20080073868&OS=20080073868&RS=20080073868

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
So, once Split-Pivot patent is issued Trek will have to stop selling their entire ABP related line-up and wait till SplitPivot runs out. Is it true? And patent-pending stage of patent process allows multiple applicants to sell identical ideas simultaneously until the 1st application is issued?

bradflyn

Chimp
Oct 27, 2008
Washington
That is cool it covers the combination of floating shocks. But how is it better than the mechanical system of the 1890 patent that also has a concentric pivot? aren't all concentric pivots the same and can just be tuned different by the rocker and shock locations like all that have done single pivots before?

Pretty cool however it works out. I look for more out there after riding the various treks with split pivots. When is the first one from DW coming around?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
That is cool it covers the combination of floating shocks. But how is it better than the mechanical system of the 1890 patent that also has a concentric pivot? aren't all concentric pivots the same and can just be tuned different by the rocker and shock locations like all that have done single pivots before?

Pretty cool however it works out. I look for more out there after riding the various treks with split pivots. When is the first one from DW coming around?
Read through those patent applications for Split Pivot that I posted up, I'm sure you can figure out the difference! My lips are sealed on dates, but I've seen and ridden bikes, and I am happy with them for sure.

bradflyn

Chimp
Oct 27, 2008
Washington
Read through those patent applications..
it is a bit hard to read, are claims 1 to 72 still in the application or just the other next hundred? Definately more words that the original patent in 1890 that is just a picture and a couple lines to explain pivot on axle. Pretty fun that easy back then and now so busy words how to connect a shock to a single pivot

So split pivot seems to be the 1890 split pivot bike and then combining desired tuning linkage styles like a kona walking bean or a fsr rocker linkage?

Always cool to see stuff so I have more to play with on the trail. Thanks for keeping us up to date and hopefully someone can find you on the trail on one of these sweet and interesting prototypes.

Last edited:

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Dave, can you tell us whether or not may we expect new split-pivot bikes presented at Interbike and/or Eurobike 2009 ? :) Over 150mm (6") of travel is preferred.
"Yes" or "No" is enough answer :).
Actually I'd love to see some competitors to TREK's new Scratch model.

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

140/150mm of SplitPivot action coming from our camp... We might even be ready to sell them by this time next year! The engineering (both kinematics and structural) has been done for months, but finding the time(mostly)and money(also a big one) to build some test mules has been a sticking point. We have 2 different main-frame designs we're playing with. Stock frames will be exceptionally light (a 23# slack angled bike? yup) and we will also be offering custom builds for heavier or more "abuse" oriented riders.

Stoked!

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA

140/150mm of SplitPivot action coming from our camp... We might even be ready to sell them by this time next year! The engineering (both kinematics and structural) has been done for months, but finding the time(mostly)and money(also a big one) to build some test mules has been a sticking point. We have 2 different main-frame designs we're playing with. Stock frames will be exceptionally light (a 23# slack angled bike? yup) and we will also be offering custom builds for heavier or more "abuse" oriented riders.

Stoked!
Me LIKES the front "triangle" in the image that you posted... I'm a Short rider...It's all about clearance Clarence for me! :thumb:

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Looks good, not many bikes use that shock position, it reminds me a little to the Moots Smoothie but this one looks much better.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Looks good, not many bikes use that shock position, it reminds me a little to the Moots Smoothie but this one looks much better.
Not comparing...by any means... but just for my own memory, etc.... VooDoo? Or a THICK. Just shock angle... No one...Pu-lease... start raggin on the comment....

This rear by NO means compares to the two just mentioned... just what it reminds me of.... (been around too long to have someone take an offhand comment like I just posted and have a thread totally go off on a tangent..) :thumb:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Sounds flexy, needing shims, and needing Rootbeer paint job.

BTW I want a DW link frame that is U.S. made. (and I know about the Turner)

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
140/150mm of SplitPivot action coming from our camp... We might even be ready to sell them by this time next year! The engineering (both kinematics and structural) has been done for months, but finding the time(mostly)and money(also a big one) to build some test mules has been a sticking point. We have 2 different main-frame designs we're playing with. Stock frames will be exceptionally light (a 23# slack angled bike? yup) and we will also be offering custom builds for heavier or more "abuse" oriented riders.Stoked!
This sounds very interesting! I hope you manage the soonest.

me too. i wouldnt peel off that "made in USA" sticker off like i did on my Revolt's "made in taiwan" sticker
Why do you so deny the true face of the bussiness? Maybe we'll see "Engineered in USA" sticker on Evils in few years like we've seen on some big names.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
quck Dave....apply for a patent for a spinning bash guard. That way when you hit rocks, it spins on the crank and the crank stays where it is...thus decreasing drag on the bike during impacts and keeping feedback to the rider through the cranks to a minimum...do it....DO IT!!!!

edit: Call it Spilt Bash-it!!!

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
quck Dave....apply for a patent for a spinning bash guard. That way when you hit rocks, it spins on the crank and the crank stays where it is...thus decreasing drag on the bike during impacts and keeping feedback to the rider through the cranks to a minimum...do it....DO IT!!!!

Better build it with a 1.66 gear induction so that it builds forward motion when it hits something call it the Hammersplit. :weee:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Why do you so deny the true face of the bussiness? Maybe we'll see "Engineered in USA" sticker on Evils in few years like we've seen on some big names.
im not denying the fact what so ever. i understand why its made there and its obvious why as well.

wouldnt it make you feel all warm inside if it said "made in Slovakia" (does slovakia even make anything)

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
im not denying the fact what so ever. i understand why its made there and its obvious why as well.

wouldnt it make you feel all warm inside if it said "made in Slovakia" (does slovakia even make anything)
Yes, it definitely would make me feel warm if Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg, Audi Q7 had stickers "Made in Slovakia" and not "Made in Germany" because they ARE made in Slovakia.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts

haha that reminds me of these...

maybe he can make some chrome spinning bash guards to go along with the new ridiculous TLD gear.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY

some of the hottest women in the world are made in slovakia. czech girls get all the hype, but i've been to both countries, and i think slovak girls might be better!