Quantcast

east coast vs west coast

thanza

Chimp
Aug 20, 2009
Tally Nasty, Fl
So, im writing a paper on mountain biking for my college english class. I'm focusing on the difference between mtber's from the east and west coast of either canada or united states. You have ridden both coast, that's is even better. If anyone is willing to help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Just shoot me a message and we can go from there.

thanza

Chimp
Aug 20, 2009
Tally Nasty, Fl
I'm not asking for professional mtb riders, but the average day rider. I believe there is more to be said, then manicured trails and one being more rooty than the other. Im looking into more of the lifestyle and demographic of different riders and niches.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
For the sake of accuracy in your project, you need first hand knowledge. I think you need to spend the summer over on the west coast.. you know, for research.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'm not asking for professional mtb riders, but the average day rider. I believe there is more to be said, then manicured trails and one being more rooty than the other. Im looking into more of the lifestyle and demographic of different riders and niches.
Well - I can say for sure that people on both coasts are insufferable twits. :D

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I can tell you its damn hard to find a bar near the trail on the east coast. every resort I hit on the west has a full bar at the bottom of the runs...perfect for me, and it is usually packed....nice break from the groms

east coast tends to ride in packs at the resorts. 4, 5 or more riders hitting the same trail at a time

west coast will hardly see more than two bombing the same lines at a time

the east coast wears whatever they got our of bed with

the west has to look like a pro regardless of the bike

the east coast is almost all 8 inch bikes at the lift lines

the west is tending to be more of a all mountain fork kind of crowd. I would say half the bikes I have seen at northstar are big single crown forks.

brand recognition seems to be a coast thing as well I see a ton of konas, morewoods, and specialized on the east, and mostly turners, karpiels, and intense on the west.

the east coast guys seems to keep thier bikes longer as well. the west coasters will trade up to the new model as soon as the snow hits

as far as the woods go it seems the east coast has less room to dig therefore the lines are pretty concrete and dont change much

the west coast has tons of room and there are always new lines and rough trails being cut. the current trend on the west is finding the longest run possible with the super d feel.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I can tell you its damn hard to find a bar near the trail on the east coast. every resort I hit on the west has a full bar at the bottom of the runs...perfect for me, and it is usually packed....nice break from the groms

east coast tends to ride in packs at the resorts. 4, 5 or more riders hitting the same trail at a time

the west is tending to be more of a all mountain fork kind of crowd. I would say half the bikes I have seen at northstar are big single crown forks.

brand recognition seems to be a coast thing as well I see a ton of konas, morewoods, and specialized on the east, and mostly turners, karpiels, and intense on the west.

the east coast guys seems to keep thier bikes longer as well. the west coasters will trade up to the new model as soon as the snow hits

as far as the woods go it seems the east coast has less room to dig therefore the lines are pretty concrete and dont change much

the west coast has tons of room and there are always new lines and rough trails being cut. the current trend on the west is finding the longest run possible with the super d feel.

west coast will hardly see more than two bombing the same lines at a time BECAUSE IT GET SO DUSTY THAT YOU CANT SEE IF YOU HAVE TOO MANY PEOPLE.

the current trend on the west is finding the longest run possible with the super d feel. - DISAGREE We look for lines that will take advantage of the natural rocks etc.

Even on the west coast you have regional differences in brands. SoCal = intense, Turner, Ibis NorCal = SantaCruz Karpiel etc.

the west is tending to be more of a all mountain fork kind of crowd. - I could see this... there are the straight-up DH'rs but because so many of our trails are NOT shuttleable so we still have to do quite a bit of climbing to do so the single-crowns are gaining popularity.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the west is tending to be more of a all mountain fork kind of crowd. - I could see this... there are the straight-up DH'rs but because so many of our trails are NOT shuttleable so we still have to do quite a bit of climbing to do so the single-crowns are gaining popularity.
I'll give you that. When I lived in socal I had an sx trail with a 66 and it was such a great bike. i'd use it for shuttles and even lift access (big bear). N* and mammoth i'd take my dh bike. but when i moved back east, i almost never rode it, only got used once or twice as a loaner bike at diablo. wound up selling it.

gonefirefightin

free wieners

west coast will hardly see more than two bombing the same lines at a time BECAUSE IT GET SO DUSTY THAT YOU CANT SEE IF YOU HAVE TOO MANY PEOPLE.

the current trend on the west is finding the longest run possible with the super d feel. - DISAGREE We look for lines that will take advantage of the natural rocks etc.

Even on the west coast you have regional differences in brands. SoCal = intense, Turner, Ibis NorCal = SantaCruz Karpiel etc.

you live in the OC.....thats a pretty small area I travel full time and when I ride the west I ride the PNW (or, wa, bc) and Nor cal......just because its in your yard doesnt mean its the same in your state.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Middle coast = Dumb Redneck girls you can have for the price of three beers.

thanza

Chimp
Aug 20, 2009
Tally Nasty, Fl

lol it's funny you mention attire, because i've noticed that. When I lived in Nor Cal I had tons of kids all suited up like they were in the WC, and when I moved back east it was either you wore lyrca, or you wore whatever you could find. I find it awesome that there is truly a difference in style of riders, but I do have to say for atleast in my area, west coast riders go bigger than most of the riders I know on the east coast.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
West coast riders all seem like jailbirds and do meth

East coast riders tend to be very charitable, go to church/temple, have jobs, and are excellent cooks.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Never rode any farther east than colorado. This thread makes me want to head over to the east cost to check it out though. Sounds like I'll have to leave my projamas at home though?