Quantcast

Eating cereal with water

Cereal and water. Whatcha think?

• Total voters

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I'm lactose intolerant, so sometimes I enjoy a bowl of cereal with water mixed in.

Don't bother suggesting soy milk because that upsets my stomach too.

Please vote.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I'm lactose intolerant, so sometimes I enjoy a bowl of cereal with water mixed in.

Please vote.
I stopped using milk on my cereal a long time ago too but I still have diary with other things. I used to use soy milk but didn't like most of them too much and switched as more and more research came out against it.

I use original flavor blue diamond almond milk and it taste great and its better for you than soy or real milk.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I feel your pain I used to be lactose intolerant but I eventually grew out of it. I've done the cereal with water before and wasnt a huge fan, my grandfather also used to use orange juice. I used to drink lactaid and that stuff never bothered me if you havent tried it allready. Also I used to and still do eat some cereal just dry and skip the whole milk nonsense.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
I used to use soy milk but didn't like most of them too much and switched as more and more research came out against it.
I'm not a fan of soy milk, but I do like almond milk and I really like rice milk (vanilla flavor, enriched please). Vanilla rice milk on most "bland" cereals is quite good...though its not very good on my fruity pebbles. All those milk alternatives take a bit of getting used to, you just can't expect it to taste like cow milk.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
we use this stuff as well. tastes great (i prefer it to milk), and is one of the few milk substitutes i've found that foams (espresso drinks) nicely. highly recommended.
Whole Foods is the cheapest place I've found the Almond Breeze - $2 per 32oz. carton.

I know some people like the rice milk but to me it taste too watery:plthumbsdown:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Whole Foods is the cheapest place I've found the Almond Breeze - $2 per 32oz. carton.

I know some people like the rice milk but to me it taste too watery:plthumbsdown:
I like Soy milk more, but the woman is a Rice fan so that's what we end up getting...The grocery stores 'round these parts don't seem to have Almond milk (unless it's one of the damned burnt-out hippie stores), but a Whole Foods is opening two blocks from here in a year or summat. Woot!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I am lactose intolerant and I don't miss milk. I miss yogurt, but not milk. It's pretty nasty, IMO. All thick and fatty and from cow boobs. No thanks. :plthumbsdown:

Just say **** the cold cereal and have some eggs and bacon. Or some toast and coffee. Eat the cereal dry as a snack when you're stoned.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I am lactose intolerant and I don't miss milk. I miss yogurt, but not milk. It's pretty nasty, IMO. All thick and fatty and from cow boobs. No thanks. :plthumbsdown:
You must be really lactose intolerant because my grandfather can't drink milk or eat cheese without taking something beforehand but yogurt is fine (I guess cause of the active cultures?)

S

SlulgeTuddice

Hello
Please, recommend me sites about acne treatment

Tnx

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC

Please vote.
there are a ton of other types of milk out there IAB....just about any type of rice, nuts, or beans can be made into milk...D

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
IAB: seems like you didn't get the awesome gene. Lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose) production generally drops off sometime between 2 and 5. Some peoples who have been dependent on dairy for a while (historically) have a relatively high incidence of a genetic allele that doesn't shut off lactase production.

It's actually possible to train your bacteria to be more tolerant (ie better at breaking down lactose) by ingesting small, increasing amounts of lactose over a couple of weeks.

Yogurt has some lactose, generally 1/2 as much as the same volume of milk. Depends on the cultures in the yogurt and how it's made too. Cheese has very little lactose. I suppose fresh cheeses might have more than hard cheeses. Studies say that most lactose intolerant people can consume the equivalent of a glass of milk per day w/o problems, but there is a wide spectrum of lactose intolerance.

Edit: So, uh, I'd have my cereal with some chromosome 2 mutations or some lactase. Although cereal and water makes me wonder: would sugary cereals would mix well with coffee?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'd vote for almond milk, I've also had oatmilk that was good too. Cold almond milk makes great ice chai latte. :)

Cereal with water? Are we talking Lucky Charms or Frankin Berry?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
You must be really lactose intolerant because my grandfather can't drink milk or eat cheese without taking something beforehand but yogurt is fine (I guess cause of the active cultures?)
I'm with Ciaran. Yogurt is completely out of my diet. It's a damn shame too, as I used to love eating fresh fruit and plain yogurt.:drool:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Regarding the poll--plain enriched rice milk for me. I prefer to cut as much soy as possible out of my diet, thus no soy milk. Almond milk didn't do it for a couple years ago, but I'm willing to give it another shot.

All of that being said, cold cereal is no longer part of my diet. My breakfast now consists of oatmeal.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I'm very lactose intolerant, and after years of avoiding dairy (and feeling miserable that I couldn't eat what I wanted), I started taking asidophilus (sp?)enzymes and a once-a-day tablet for lactards available at the drugstore. Surprisingly, I can drink milk and eat whatever I want with the two supplements.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
So - question for you soy boys - we had this debate round the campfire last year with a variety of folkses.

I have no idea if any of the following is based in reality - just heard bout it...
As a woman - the rumour is the more soy you eat in your life time the less you feel the 'change' when you hit your 50s
As a man...is it true it makes you all like feminine and stuff? (I'm assuming you'd have to eat nothing But soy for like 2 years to see any effect here...but just wondering).

A two second google search turned up: http://www.vegsource.com/talk/soy/messages/16379.html

:)

Oh - and for the lactose intolerant...my dad likes the rice milk stuff for his gluten free cereals (though he mostly prefers oatmeal)

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I've been drinking soy milk "silk" for over 5 years. The only feminin thing that happens when I drink soy is my girlfriend sayin "yuck, how can you drink that stuff". It's great to mix with protein powders for post workout recovery

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I've been drinking soy milk "silk" for over 5 years. The only feminin thing that happens when I drink soy is my girlfriend sayin "yuck, how can you drink that stuff". It's great to mix with protein powders for post workout recovery
Get this. I was doing A LOT of trail running last Summer, several days a week and usually for an hour or two at a time. After a particularly hard run one day (I met up with them at halfway), one of the guys grabs a carton (from a cooler) of chocolate milk from his car. No joke. We're drinking water, etc, and this guy is drinking choc milk from the carton.

I did some e-research and found that chocolate milk (sans HFCS) is a pretty damn good, not to mention effecient and cost-effective, recovery drink.