Quantcast

Election Day(s) Thread.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Put away your sabres, because it is a little early to be opening the champagne.

My wife read an article this morning in Newsweek Japan that discussed the safe harbor deadline, electoral college voting, congressional certification, contingent election and the various potential 2020 scenarios. So, unsure and unable to answer some of her questions, I "did my own research" and found the NYT article below that described the process. (As an american I suppose I should know this process by heart, right?)

In a nutshell (I think), if the shitgibbon can dick things up until the "safe harbor deadline," then the constitution seems to dictate that the Governor and Congressional Houses in each state certify a winner of their chosing regardless of popular vote. In the swing states (see graphic in article) he has a good shot of getting the governors and congresses of the swing states to back him during this phase. Win goes to shitgibbon.

Failing success there, he still has another chance in the so-called "contingent election" in the House. Yes, Dems hold the House, but each state only gets one vote. Currently, it looks like shitgibbon would win this (second link).

All of this is hypothetical hand-wringing and arm-chair lawyering, but damnit how can it even be this close!?!?

WRT the veracity or political tendencies of the sources, got something better or something that shows other info?

Edit: Four more years of shitgibbon on the horizon, fight me! Please!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

My wife read an article this morning in Newsweek Japan that discussed the safe harbor deadline, electoral college voting, congressional certification, contingent election and the various potential 2020 scenarios. So, unsure and unable to answer some of her questions, I "did my own research" and found the NYT article below that described the process. (As an american I suppose I should know this process by heart, right?)

In a nutshell (I think), if the shitgibbon can dick things up until the "safe harbor deadline," then the constitution seems to dictate that the Governor and Congressional Houses in each state certify a winner of their chosing regardless of popular vote. In the swing states (see graphic in article) he has a good shot of getting the governors and congresses of the swing states to back him during this phase. Win goes to shitgibbon.

Failing success there, he still has another chance in the so-called "contingent election" in the House. Yes, Dems hold the House, but each state only gets one vote. Currently, it looks like shitgibbon would win this (second link).

All of this is hypothetical hand-wringing and arm-chair lawyering, but damnit how can it even be this close!?!?

WRT the veracity or political tendencies of the sources, got something better or something that shows other info?

all real concerns, but we have to start somewhere and that's with this vote.

If the congressional houses ignored the popular vote, now THAT would start a real conflict, not a pretend chest thumping conflict as we've seen. Strikes, 10s of millions taking to the streets. That is worst case scenario and possibly unrepairable.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Those scenarios have been discussed for months now.

Personally, I'd love to see them try to pull that shit in PA. They don't have cops, nat guard, nor the balls to deal with a pissed off philadelphia in person, at the state capital.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
all real concerns, but we have to start somewhere and that's with this vote.

If the congressional houses ignored the popular vote, now THAT would start a real conflict, not a pretend chest thumping conflict as we've seen. Strikes, 10s of millions taking to the streets. That is worst case scenario and possibly unrepairable.
I hope someone in shitgibbon's inner circle is able to make him aware of the futility. AND if not, I hope you're right. Bring back the guillotines. (<- the fact that I got the spelling right on the first try is a bad sign...)

Those scenarios have been discussed for months now.

Personally, I'd love to see them try to pull that shit in PA. They don't have cops, nat guard, nor the balls to deal with a pissed off philadelphia in person, at the state capital.
As above, I hope you are right.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah, it ain't over until it's over. But there is a good enough of a lead that such attempts have a very very long shot. Not to mention all of the current lawsuits have either been summarily rejected or won with little to no affect. So as far as I am aware, nothing really to even elevate to higher courts.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, it ain't over until it's over. But there is a good enough of a lead that such attempts have a very very long shot. Not to mention all of the current lawsuits have either been summarily rejected or won with little to no affect. So as far as I am aware, nothing really to even elevate to higher courts.
Not only that, but if his presidency taught us anything, he doesn't like to do anything difficult.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
it won't happen, but nothing would please me more than if biden mentions trump in his speech later today a rousing chorus of "lock him up" broke out.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I haven't been here for years, since US politics was only fairly fvcked up, dropped in just to say I sincerely hope it starts to get straightened out soon.

Not overly optimistic though.

(And yes, I know we have our own issues over here...)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Given the flunkies he's surrounded himself with I wouldn't hold my breath.
He's created an iconography that won't go away entirely. He'll be irrelevant in a governmental sense but his TV station he's babbled about since expecting to lose in 2016 will have people flocking to hit. Long before candidacy he still had idiots like michael cohen doing his bidding. He'll find more. And I don't think he'll have to look, they'll come to him.

Last edited:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
It'll be interesting to see the final numbers when all of the dust settles because this ended up not being a very close election...it just took forever to count the mail-in ballots.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Excellent, congratulations Americans. You got a lot to do but right now a bit of rawkus celebration seems in order!

:banana::headbang::weee:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This is dangerous. Someone will do something stupid tonight.

Text of a statement from President Donald Trump on the election result:

“We all know why Joe Biden is rushing to falsely pose as the winner, and why his media allies are trying so hard to help him: they don’t want the truth to be exposed. The simple fact is this election is far from over. Joe Biden has not been certified as the winner of any states, let alone any of the highly contested states headed for mandatory recounts, or states where our campaign has valid and legitimate legal challenges that could determine the ultimate victor. In Pennsylvania, for example, our legal observers were not permitted meaningful access to watch the counting process. Legal votes decide who is president, not the news media.

“Beginning Monday, our campaign will start prosecuting our case in court to ensure election laws are fully upheld and the rightful winner is seated. The American People are entitled to an honest election: that means counting all legal ballots, and not counting any illegal ballots. This is the only way to ensure the public has full confidence in our election. It remains shocking that the Biden campaign refuses to agree with this basic principle and wants ballots counted even if they are fraudulent, manufactured, or cast by ineligible or deceased voters. Only a party engaged in wrongdoing would unlawfully keep observers out of the count room – and then fight in court to block their access.

“So what is Biden hiding? I will not rest until the American People have the honest vote count they deserve and that Democracy demands.”

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This is dangerous. Someone will do something stupid tonight.

Text of a statement from President Donald Trump on the election result:

“We all know why Joe Biden is rushing to falsely pose as the winner, and why his media allies are trying so hard to help him: they don’t want the truth to be exposed. The simple fact is this election is far from over. Joe Biden has not been certified as the winner of any states, let alone any of the highly contested states headed for mandatory recounts, or states where our campaign has valid and legitimate legal challenges that could determine the ultimate victor. In Pennsylvania, for example, our legal observers were not permitted meaningful access to watch the counting process. Legal votes decide who is president, not the news media.

“Beginning Monday, our campaign will start prosecuting our case in court to ensure election laws are fully upheld and the rightful winner is seated. The American People are entitled to an honest election: that means counting all legal ballots, and not counting any illegal ballots. This is the only way to ensure the public has full confidence in our election. It remains shocking that the Biden campaign refuses to agree with this basic principle and wants ballots counted even if they are fraudulent, manufactured, or cast by ineligible or deceased voters. Only a party engaged in wrongdoing would unlawfully keep observers out of the count room – and then fight in court to block their access.

“So what is Biden hiding? I will not rest until the American People have the honest vote count they deserve and that Democracy demands.”

Yea, guiliani is on the case :rolleyes:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Praise Jesus.
Which Jeebus? 8 pounds 6 ounces, newborn infant Jeebus, don't even know a word yet, blonde hair and blue eyes. Jeebus or Jeebus in a tuxedo T-shirt, because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party? You know, I like to think of Jeebus with giant eagle's wings, doing lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with an angel band, and I'm in the front row hammered drunk...