Quantcast

ENVE DH rims?

grooveninja

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
Are they out yet? Anyone try them? Looking for some new race rims for next season and those have my curiosity.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I've seen them around locally on a few riders' bikes. One of my buddies is hard on his wheels and they seem to be holding up just fine. They made it through a few weekends at Bootleg. He's got no complaints, and he isn't treating them gingerly. That being said, I have no idea on when they actually plan on selling them if they actually decide to.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
What about Reynolds proto carbon AM rims (wheels) on Leprechaun's Reign 2011?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
you should see the prices on some of the Zipp and Fulcrum road wheels...

oh, and these bad boys from reynolds ring in at $6000

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-components/2011-reynolds-rzr-46-tubular-wheelset-6753.1994.0.html
expensive super light wheel road wheels are one thing (I know all about it, I have a 5,500 dollar road bike with cheap 1,000 dollar wheels on it) but 2,000 dollars + for DH rims? how long are these things suppose to last you?

I know road wheels are pretty much junk after you take a hard crash on them.

I can buy 7 wheelsets for the price of 2 rims. That doesnt even include, hubs, spokes or labor for a wheel builder if needed. So I could basically buy 10 wheelset for the price of 1 carbon wheelset. Or I could put Di2 on my bike :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
expensive super light wheel road wheels are one thing (I know all about it, I have a 5,500 dollar road bike with cheap 1,000 dollar wheels on it) but 2,000 dollars + for DH rims? how long are these things suppose to last you?

I know road wheels are pretty much junk after you take a hard crash on them.

I can buy 7 wheelsets for the price of 2 rims. That doesnt even include, hubs, spokes or labor for a wheel builder if needed. So I could basically buy 10 wheelset for the price of 1 carbon wheelset. Or I could put Di2 on my bike :rofl:
I get your point, and I think you get mine. As much as we complain about our high end stuff being expensive (DH), road stuff always takes the cake.

The road bikes I used to see in LA were ridiculous. I swear it must have been a game to some of these guys to see who could spend the most on a road bike.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm building a new DH bike and if the DH version is ready soon I may give them a shot. And no, my parents aren't buying.

I've been beating on the AM rims for more than a year and they are perfect. I haven't even had to true them once. I usually need at least a new rear rim every season but not this year. See? These rims are saving me money! :rofl:

Seriously, sure they are pricey but for trail riding the AM version kicks ass. Super stiff and light, no denting. Everyone will need to decide for themselves if the extra dough is "worth it", just like we all decide whether XTR is worth it over XT, XO over X9, etc.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Theres no such thing as a undented rim, not in DH and not for very long at least. You've got to be a grade A idiot or pro jockey to have a $1000 DH wheel.

Buying a $1000 wheel as opposed to a $150.00 one is nothing like buying a XTR or XT. Buying a $1000 wheel is like buying a trophy truck because your 100' driveway is gravel.

...and I dont care how strong they are it'll take 15 years to return the money on your investment of just one wheel.

Last edited:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Theres no such thing as a undented rim, not in DH and not for very long at least. You've got to be a grade A idiot or pro jockey to have a $1000 DH wheel.
The goal of a grade A idiot is to look like a pro jockey in the start gate, so it actually works out well.

I'm in the wrong business!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

Buying a $1000 wheel as opposed to a $150.00 one is nothing like buying a XTR or XT. Buying a $1000 wheel is like buying a trophy truck because your 100' driveway is gravel.

...and I dont care how strong they are it'll take 15 years to return the money on your investment of just one wheel.

Well I guess I'm just a grade A idiot. :rolleyes:

Your analogy is off. A huge stupid truck is the wrong tool for that job. A carbon DH wheel will be appropriate for a DH bike. It will just be too expensive for you to wrap your head around.

And return on investment? Are you serious? Do you think your DH equipment is appreciating over time? Aside from the pros and the people who sell the goods, we're all losing money in this game. It's just a matter of degree.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
we're all losing money in this game. It's just a matter of degree.
While this is true, i am one of those people that, not only when it comes to bikes, thinks about what i am getting for what im spending. Is a Enve carbon rim 10 times better then a mavic 721, 729, 823, no not in my mind, thus it isnt worth 10 times the price

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Is a Enve carbon rim 10 times better then a mavic 721, 729, 823, no not in my mind, thus it isnt worth 10 times the price
Think of it this way- carbon wheels are the only things people race on the road any more, because you have to to be competitive. All of a sudden the price of entry to serious road racing costs another ~$2200 but people move their wheelsets with them from frame to frame.
As someone who has been gooning around on Enve XC wheels for the last 3 years now for pretty silly trail riding and DH hardtail action, it's worth it.

They go with me from frame to frame and bike to bike. It's that simple.
Wheels are important.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
While this is true, i am one of those people that, not only when it comes to bikes, thinks about what i am getting for what im spending. Is a Enve carbon rim 10 times better then a mavic 721, 729, 823, no not in my mind, thus it isnt worth 10 times the price
Sure, I agree they are probably not 10 times better. Hell, they may not even be as good! (It's too early to say.) But whether they are "worth it" is a different, more complicated question that depends on a lot of things. I don't know the answer.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Sure, I agree they are probably not 10 times better. Hell, they may not even be as good! (It's too early to say.) But whether they are "worth it" is a different, more complicated question that depends on a lot of things. I don't know the answer.
It's not at all too early to say. They are a different riding experience though.
It took Peaty half of the season to get used to them.

Watch footage of the Syndicate this year, specifically Minnaar. That new more-precise style he has and the better tracking of the v-10 we all saw this year is due to the wheels.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Watch footage of the Syndicate this year, specifically Minnaar. That new more-precise style he has and the better tracking of the v-10 we all saw this year is due to the wheels.

Sorry, but I call BS on this, big time. You're trying to tell me that his BRAND NEW CARBON FRAMED BIKE has nothing to do with his season, and its all down to some fancy plastic rims? You have got to be kidding me. Might help him a little bit with the weight loss, but its hardly going to change how the bike tracks.

I can all but guarantee that these rims fall under every other single bit of kit that costs more. It can't possibly be excluded from the law of diminishing returns. Might make a small difference, but a) few will actually be able to take actual advantage of it and b) the returns compared to the cost make it the type of upgrade that doesn't make them a smart investment for most riders.

I still haven't heard much about how they react to rocks and such. DOn't they chip, or crack, or something? Super curious.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SD, they are promising, and based on my experience with the AM rims, they will be next level stuff, no doubt. Just saying I'll wait until I have more personal experience with them before I will say they are better than current offerings from Mavic. Not sure I'd defend them so hard until there is more real-world history.

I still haven't heard much about how they react to rocks and such. DOn't they chip, or crack, or something? Super curious.
My AM rims have taken some major shots and they are not chipped, cracked, dented or warped in any way. (I'm about 195 pounds.) They have some surface marks but I can tell you they are definitely not brittle in the way some people think of carbon from like 20 years ago. Assuming the newer DH version will be even more stout, I am optimistic.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
My AM rims have taken some major shots and they are not chipped, cracked, dented or warped in any way. (I'm about 195 pounds.) They have some surface marks but I can tell you they are definitely not brittle in the way some people think of carbon from like 20 years ago. Assuming the newer DH version will be even more stout, I am optimistic.
Have you had them on a DH bike? or AM?

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
people move their wheelsets with them from frame to frame.
As someone who has been gooning around on Enve XC wheels for the last 3 years now for pretty silly trail riding and DH hardtail action, it's worth it.

They go with me from frame to frame and bike to bike. It's that simple.
Wheels are important.
While thats interesting 1, i would rather have 2 or 3 wheelsets for the price of one set of rims, for spares, and 2, mainly because none of my bikes allow for me to transfer wheels, different spacing ect. 3, $1000 a rim is insane, thats all there is to it

This might actually be the craziest thing i have ever read, sorry

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Well I guess I'm just a grade A idiot. :rolleyes:

Your analogy is off. A huge stupid truck is the wrong tool for that job. A carbon DH wheel will be appropriate for a DH bike. It will just be too expensive for you to wrap your head around.

And return on investment? Are you serious? Do you think your DH equipment is appreciating over time? Aside from the pros and the people who sell the goods, we're all losing money in this game. It's just a matter of degree.
Obviously you missed my point as well with return on investment. It's not about making money, it's about not wasting it, thus a positive return. If I buy 2 Carbon wheels and they last me say 4 years, how are they not a huge losss on my money when I've bought 1 set of well built Mavic's that have lasted me the same for a 1/4 of the cost. One good nick to the beadseat and a carbon wheel is done, same could apply for metal hoops as well, but replacing that metal one isnt gonna cost me $700, 800 or $1000.

How many people this year at Massenutten destroyed wheels? I know quite a few and while maybe my feeble mind cannot wrap itself around your dizzying economics im glad to know that I still have 1600 more more in my pocket than you (potentially)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
For that Price Id really prefer Easton haven am wheels with thier no question asked return policy. Hell they are also cheaper.

Or run ztr flows for 1/10th the price and 70g more. I doubt enve live 10 times longer, hell 5 times longer and wont isnt worth the differance.

Though I support them. If it will bring the carbon wheel prices at least to the expensive levels not somewhere close to Burt Raynolds Crazy Im for it.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
One of the guys on our team, and a bike mechanic ran those eastons and after the big gap at snowshoe into the berm his wheels literally exploded. He got tore the **** up, but then again he's also the dude that split his kona at the headtube on the same gap and put the downtube deep into his belly.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
stuff about the price of the rims and return on investment
Thats exactly it, its not that i dont like them or completely disapprove of someone else buying them, but its pretty irresponsible spending from the way i think and have been brought up. Its a good form of dick measuring, im sure the same as the American obsession with huge suv's with mudder tires and a baby seat in the back. just because you can afford it doesnt mean you should.

Though I support them. If it will bring the carbon wheel prices at least to the expensive levels not somewhere close to Burt Raynolds Crazy Im for it.
exactly, someone has to go for it first, and eventually other brands will do it as well and the price for these or their compitition will come down, but i see no need for it to get to the point where people have 2 frames and 2 forks and everything else they have to swap over every time they want to ride something else because stupid carbon parts are so expensive, the sport is crazy enough already

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
An honest question here.

Are carbon rims used in Motocross? What about Offroad trucks?

I see a lot of tech trickle down into similar sports, so I am wondering if that has happened here too. Or if it hasn't, curious if why not. I'd imagine with those sports, cost wouldn't be the issue.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I hear that when you ding them you dont need to true them, simply pop them in the freezer and they go straight again...

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
these are on right now for $599. retail is 1300, still 700 dollars cheaper and you get spokes and hubs, prebuilt.

1450g

XC/AM wheels

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Have you had them on a DH bike? or AM?
No. The DH rims are still in testing and are not available to the public as far as I know. I was just referring to my personal experience with the AM rims for evidence of the product's potential. I find that more helpful than uninformed speculation, irrational fear of change, and hatred stemming from thinly-veiled jealousy. But, it's RM, and the haters are gonna hate.