Quantcast

Europe...meh

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz

This is pancetta, only for the nobles and rich. Not the under-educated serfs that don't know what pancetta is.

Last edited:

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Soo... I'm ready to go back.

Currently considering a ski trip to Switzerland next winter and spending the full 4 month study abroad in Istanbul and have loosely been throwing around the idea with a friend that just graduated about trying to find jobs somewhere in Europe for the following Summer.

Hopefully it all works out.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
And why would you subject yourself to such torture? :confused:
A change of heart?
It sometimes takes a little while for me to warm up to places?

But I think mostly it had to do with some major changes that I was having to figure out throughout the last semester that part of me was just anxious to get back home and get something started.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
So in other words you were being a self-absorbed argumentative prick?

I can appreciate that.

:D
I suppose, not entirely without reason.

I'm a little worried that the Istanbul trip won't happen next year though as the school is combining two year levels of students on the study abroad trips, rather than the one that usually goes. If that's the case, they may be overloaded and I might not be able to go. Additionally, our studio professor that is from Turkey and leads the trip over there suffered a ruptured aorta a few months ago while my classmates were there and the university freaked out about their students being over there without someone to keep track of them. In reality though, they hardly ever saw him other than in class. Luckily he is now recovering just fine, but there have been rumors about him retiring.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Hmmm... I don't have the patience at the moment to go through this whole thread but I can't keep from making comment.

Open your mind a little and appreciate what's around you. I lived in Europe for about four months (Mainly London but traveled constantly while there) and it was one of the best four months of my life. The history, the food, the culture... if you can't appreciate all that than I feel sorry for you.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I spent 10 months in Europe last year. I lived in Spain for 9 months, studying Spanish there and living with a host family, and 1 month traveling throughout western Europe. It was one of the best times in my life, and I had an incredible amount of fun while learning a new language and culture.

While I was there, I missed aspects of life in the US. Now that I'm back, I miss a lot of things about Europe. Makes you realize that the world is a pretty cool place.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Did you have any bacon Crisps when you were in England? If you had you most certainly would never made this post. God would have prevented you...

uncle-mofo

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
Waterford, Ireland
Contrary to popular belief Europe isn't a country, if you only go to Greece and Turkey you're missing out on loads. Why don't you go to France, Germany, Spain instead of those 2 places?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Contrary to popular belief Europe isn't a country.
Since when?

...if you only go to Greece and Turkey you're missing out on loads. Why don't you go to France, Germany, Spain instead of those 2 places?
Currently making plans for it. For right now I'm planning on flying into Switzerland since one of my classmates is from there and he is planning on the study abroad trip to Istanbul as well. We're going to go skiing/boarding for a few days up to a week and then possibly take trains from there to various cities along the way to Istanbul until the semester starts. After that I'd like to stay the summer if I can get an internship in one of the major international cities near the Alps. The final goal would be to catch some of the Tour de France, possibly the finish in Paris.

I've heard good things about Spain, so if I could make it over there, I'd like to see Barcelona and Bilbao (Guggenheim). There will also be a group of classmates in Rome, so I might try to swing by there to visit.

I was excited about traveling to Istanbul and Europe last Fall, but with everything that was going on, I think it kind of got wasted because I was having to figure out what to do with myself when I got back from the 3 week stay there that my mind wasn't wanting to be there anymore. Now that the semester is over and everything has worked itself out, I'm ready to go back. I just wish I could do it this Summer since Lance is making his return to the Tour this Summer.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If you go to Spain, definitely see Barcelona. In Bilbao there isn't much to do besides seeing the Guggenheim, but if that's your thing, go for it.

I would recommend seeing San Sebastian while you're there. One of my favorite places in the world. Really cool mix of Spanish/Basque culture, with a surf spot and a great size downtown area. Really beautiful place.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Haha...I just remembered this thread, so I thought I would provide some updates.

I spent 7 months of 2010 in Europe on 2 different trips, visited 13 countries, and am moving to Germany this time next week. :banana:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I presume that you are one of the SERFS? :rofl:
You know that looks like Bacon? I heard they don't have that over in Europe. No Mexican Food either. Sounds pretty awful there. I'm glad I live in Western NY where I can get all the Bacon I need, well atleast until the food stamps run out....

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The Mexican food in NYC is not better then what I have had in Europe and pancetta is clearly uber bacon. Not that I am moving back to Europe :)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The Mexican food in NYC is not better then what I have had in Europe and pancetta is clearly uber bacon. Not that I am moving back to Europe :)
The evidence and corroboration concludes that Europe Sucks or atleast the hookers in Naples suck, but hey isn't that their job? So in conclusion... If you want good Mexican food, don't go to Greece or Turkey as you wil fail in your quest. Same with Bacon. Just stay home....

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Wait, you spend all your time in PAWN talking up Ron Paul and how he's the Great White Hope for American Freedumb©, and your moving to Germany? :confused:
I mentioned nothing about 'The Great White Hope'. That's some racist bull he's been tied to since no one has any dirt on him other than something someone else wrote 20 years ago. I like Ron Paul a lot, and I think the country could benefit from his leadership right now. Not always, but right now.

You know that looks like Bacon? I heard they don't have that over in Europe. No Mexican Food either. Sounds pretty awful there. I'm glad I live in Western NY where I can get all the Bacon I need, well atleast until the food stamps run out....
I still stand by bacon being a scarce item in Turkey, but once you live there for a while you find what the good local food is and stop looking for the Turkish version of the food that you like from home.

Germany has lots of bacon... lots and lots and lots of pig, potatoes, beer, and bread. I don't know how Germans don't all weigh 300 pounds. I will say that the Mexican food that I've had in Germany and Turkey is nothing short of a mean joke. The food itself is good until you get to the salsa, which is not much different than ketchup. There are probably some decent Mexican places in Stuttgart and Istanbul, but of the 5 or so different restaurants that I tried, the salsa was always ketchup, including the 'Mexican Sauce' that I bought at the grocery stores.

i understand where you were coming from initially, Turkey is a ****hole.
Initially, Turkey and Greece were not what I expected of Europe, and part of my disappointment, but I no longer believe Turkey is a ****hole. I loved it the second time I went. It will probably always be one of the greatest experiences of my life and I recommend it to everyone.

This would definitely not be my first choice.
I still want to move to San Francisco, but Stuttgart is nice. The job market there for architects is not absolutely horrible right now and my girlfriend got salaried with an interior 'starchitecture' firm there before I got one in San Francisco. So... I'm going to Germany.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I imagine living in germany is like having your parents die in a car wreck and being shipped off to live with your boring, very strict uncle. Sort of like harry potter, but without the fun magic parts. Fun is banned.
Probably the funniest thing is watching all of the Germans stop and wait for the pedestrian light at the crosswalk when no cars are coming while you walk to the other side... until a policeman sneaks up and tries to give you a 60 euro ticket.

I know what you mean about fun being banned. You can have a lot of fun there, but I definitely got the sense that there is a rule for everything, and you can't bend the rules, and if something is questionable, it is probably forbidden.

Then there are other things that are perfectly legal there, but would get you thrown in jail here... like drinking a beer while walking through the city center in the middle of the day. After showing up with beer in hand, my girlfriend informed me that, while legal, this is something only drunks and bums do. :homer:

The architecture there is really nice though. The new buildings being designed there actually look new and not like the "should-look-old-but-aren't, red brick and white kinda-greek column" abominations that you see all over the US.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Get out of Istanbul and see some more of Turkey. Get off the beaten path and appreciate the simple and complex differences.The heated pools of Pamukkale are pretty impressive. The Kusadasi/Ephesus are als had plenty to keep us interested for a couple weeks...great inexpensive food, cheap lodging (b&b)...incredible ruins, and nice beaches.

Traveling can be stressful for sure, especially with multiple people to try to keep organized. Moving from place to place, finding trains, can be a hassle/stressful at first. Give it time and you will get adjusted, figure out how to plan ahead if you need/want to be somewhere at a specific time, otherwise, just relax and 'gp with the flow'.

IF you want more (different from coddled/sterile America), go east.

Been on any long distance busses?

That a good advice for every town! If people go for the views and go the turist way they may be bored and that's probably why you are. You should blend more with the local crowd. It's also not better, it's different. Especially if you are used to a lot of stuff from the US that there is none in yurp.

Meet some young people, go off the beaten track. That's why I'm reallya fan of youth hostels and couchsufring. It really connects you to the people that can show you how the city really lives. Of course that's not allways possible but you can allways find a place where the local boheme gathers and start from there.

@ Fraser depending where you live in Germany and what Germans you know. All the ones I know are crazy, fun people. The older gen may be boring but the stereotype is not actual if you know where to look.
Berlin is amazing if you are into music, tatoo and all that alt culture. Munich is also a great city. I was also wary about going to Germany but after a few trips I can say only half of the them are strict. The other half is bat**** insane.

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Oh the German's I know are all fantastically fun people. It's the society and state in general that are rule bound.

I like German's, just not a fan of Germany. I would move to Austria fairly quickly though. Germany's much more footloose and fancy free cousin.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Well...look at all the experts in German life we have here. Guess I will just keep my mouth shut and listen to all of you geniuses :D

Honestly, from my experience, you guys are all way off the mark. Transcend, you couldnt be more wrong on the Harry Potter comment, but right on the people comment. I have had more fun here than almost (Notice I said almost...) any other place I have ever been. Everyone partys with everyone...you just have to get past the exterior facade.

????? where are you moving to?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I mentioned nothing about 'The Great White Hope'. That's some racist bull he's been tied to since no one has any dirt on him other than something someone else wrote 20 years ago. I like Ron Paul a lot, and I think the country could benefit from his leadership right now. Not always, but right now.
It was a joke son. But getting all uptight about it is very German of you. :D