Quantcast

Europe...meh

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Oh the German's I know are all fantastically fun people. It's the society and state in general that are rule bound.

I like German's, just not a fan of Germany. I would move to Austria fairly quickly though. Germany's much more footloose and fancy free cousin.
Well I won't comment on that becausse I don't want JohnE to be angry at me ;) Though what you say goes in line with what my German stepdad allways complains about and all my experience on my bavarian trips.

@Hey John we are positive, your country just seems a bit uptight on the bike trail thing. Well that or it's the Bavarians.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Dont yet know the Vogelsang U bahn stop...still learning my way about here. Let me know when you arrive...
What kind of bike do you have there? I likely won't be able to buy a new bike anytime soon, so I'm debating which one to bring. I think I'll get the most use out of my road bike, but I already know that I'm going to miss riding trails.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Norbar, I am American...just mislocated due to my last enlistment! This is my second 3 year tour here, and we have had mostly positive experieinces. Yeah, weirdness abounds from time to time (Stuttgart is NOTHING like Kaiserslautern wher we were before...160K people vs 6 million) but overall I love it here. I think its the Bavarians causing your problems, this place is rotten with trails and paths for bikes.

???? I would bring a hardtail to begin with, change out the rubber to a not so gnarly tread. I commute mostly on a single speed with high pressure slicks. Although I own a road bike, a FS and a hard tail along with the single (I didnt have to pay for my stuff to get shipped here...). Road bike is a good call, but there are so many forested trails I would want the ability to get on them all, and not all are paved or super well kept. The military folks here are always moving out and sheding gear, if you need a road bike or other ride it shouldnt be too hard to find you one...

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
???? I would bring a hardtail to begin with, change out the rubber to a not so gnarly tread. I commute mostly on a single speed with high pressure slicks. Although I own a road bike, a FS and a hard tail along with the single (I didnt have to pay for my stuff to get shipped here...). Road bike is a good call, but there are so many forested trails I would want the ability to get on them all, and not all are paved or super well kept. The military folks here are always moving out and sheding gear, if you need a road bike or other ride it shouldnt be too hard to find you one...

After measuring my bikes, it looks like it's going to be tough to fit a bike into a non oversized box. No way my road bike or a hardtail would fit in 62 linear inches. I think I can dismantle my DH bike or XC bike enough to get it close. (anyone want to trade their all montain ride for a decked out Intense Socom and Titus Motolite?)

Do you feel safe leaving your bike locked up in the city?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I have yet to leave a bike in the city. I work on a military kaserne, so it is relatively secure. The longest I have left a bike unattended was about 10 minutes, at a doener kebap shop, and I had eyes on the whole time. The pub I have ridden to allows me to bring it in if its not too crowded...

Stuttgart has a pretty low crime rate, although I have had sh!t stolen from my car outside my home. Not advocating tempting fate, but its a pretty decent city overall.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Norbar, I am American...just mislocated due to my last enlistment! This is my second 3 year tour here, and we have had mostly positive experieinces. Yeah, weirdness abounds from time to time (Stuttgart is NOTHING like Kaiserslautern wher we were before...160K people vs 6 million) but overall I love it here. I think its the Bavarians causing your problems, this place is rotten with trails and paths for bikes.

I think you got me a bit wrong. I actually like Germany. The girls are much hotter than what people think, the people are crazy but I like crazy people. I really want to get to Berlin to do some art galery touring, concerts and get a tatoo right now but my family only has a flat close to Munich so that doesn't help me to much.
I've heard that the area around Stuttgart is much better and it's the Bavarians that are a bit too strict.

As long as it's not small town east Germany with crazy 7th day adventists I like the country. Would prefer somewhere else but I'm 24 and all my networking contacts are in Poland anyway so I won't move here anywere fast so it's all theory ;)

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
germany gets cool as f*ck as soon as you don't live there anymore. you learn to appreciate a functioning system with no corruption on which you can rely and you know what to expect from. i'm sure norbar agrees (as we are both living in eastern yurp) that this approach is so much cooler than an out of hands bureaucracy with a fair share of corruption mixed in. to get a permission to build a house here in slovenia i needed 19 months (!!!!!!!!!) whereas my brother in germany got that problem solved in 4 days.

and germans are way cooler than one might think.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
After measuring my bikes, it looks like it's going to be tough to fit a bike into a non oversized box. No way my road bike or a hardtail would fit in 62 linear inches. I think I can dismantle my DH bike or XC bike enough to get it close. (anyone want to trade their all montain ride for a decked out Intense Socom and Titus Motolite?)

Do you feel safe leaving your bike locked up in the city?
Your not trying to take the bike on the plane with you are you? I would absolutly ship it privatly, if You cannot get it boxed up, maybe have the LBS do it for you.

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
Why dont you like it here? I have not been to Dresden yet...
hm...
I've not been there for more than a week at a time, but it seemed to me that there were way to many people with too much money and too little fantasy or imagination at their disposal. it may be fine, if you know your way around and have some friends there, but i would never ever want to live there. boring, wealthy and mind numbing comes to mind. stereotypes, i know. dresden is nice though.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
So in conclusion Europe, particularly Germany is an awful place with awfull people. So we should stay here or move to Mississippi.

Because A. The food is better

B. The beer is cheaper.

C. Titties are bigger!

D. We have more guns and the incentive to use them.

E. Cigarettes are sold in Vending Machines.

F. Some McDonalds resturants are open 24 hours.

G. The Metric system is stupid to use as a base for measurement for anything other the divvying up weed.

H. Gas is cheaper.

I. Our military is better, If you piss us off we will take your chit with spectacular amounts of Military force against you and your family....

I thnk that about covers it.

D.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
germany gets cool as f*ck as soon as you don't live there anymore. you learn to appreciate a functioning system with no corruption on which you can rely and you know what to expect from. i'm sure norbar agrees (as we are both living in eastern yurp) that this approach is so much cooler than an out of hands bureaucracy with a fair share of corruption mixed in. to get a permission to build a house here in slovenia i needed 19 months (!!!!!!!!!) whereas my brother in germany got that problem solved in 4 days.

and germans are way cooler than one might think.
I agree but the easter european chaos has its pros if you know how to work the system (and most of us here do). If only Germany was more bike friendly in terms of number of spots (like Austria, Switzerland or France) I'd love that place.

btw. I didn't know it's as bad in Slovenia. On paper you seem to be doing the best from all the eastern block countries. Though I know the on paper numbers are BS good only for the bankers and politicians. I'm just fond of Slovenia after my last 2 trips to Maribor. Cool people, cool place.

@Was? you mean Dresden or Stuttgart? I've been on a birthsday party of one rich Dresdener (he's actually from Maisen but nvm.) and the city was amazing in terms of architecture and initial feel. Even if the whole new rich stereotype kinda fitted him but it's hard to judge someone after one meeting.

@JD - Some McDonlads are open 24 hours here too. Your argument is invalid then. Because who cares about the rest when you have 24h McDonalds. Though to be honest I prefer IKEA hot dogs.

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
@Was? you mean Dresden or Stuttgart? I've been on a birthsday party of one rich Dresdener (he's actually from Maisen but nvm.) and the city was amazing in terms of architecture and initial feel. Even if the whole new rich stereotype kinda fitted him but it's hard to judge someone after one meeting.
I meant Stuttgart. Dresden is really nice. Cool people, some nice riding to be had, some great little downhill spots, great scene, laid back atmosphere and so on. the only thing it's lacking are mountains higher than 700 meters.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
@JD - Some McDonlads are open 24 hours here too. Your argument is invalid then. Because who cares about the rest when you have 24h McDonalds. Though to be honest I prefer IKEA hot dogs.
WTF?? Now I gotta make a new list. IKEA is not a Furniture store?? They sell Hot Dogs?? I guess I have to take everything I said back then. I'm sorry for all the trouble I caused, well no not really....

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
WTF?? Now I gotta make a new list. IKEA is not a Furniture store?? They sell Hot Dogs?? I guess I have to take everything I said back then. I'm sorry for all the trouble I caused, well no not really....
They even have a restaurant in the middle of it. Very cheap and strangely tasty food. I've always been suspicious of cheap and tasty. The hot dogs are always at the end of the store along with ice cream and a sweedish produce shop. As a kid I always though of the hot dog stand as a reward for walking through the maze at ikea ;)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
They even have a restaurant in the middle of it. Very cheap and strangely tasty food. I've always been suspicious of cheap and tasty. The hot dogs are always at the end of the store along with ice cream and a sweedish produce shop. As a kid I always though of the hot dog stand as a reward for walking through the maze at ikea ;)
Can you order food and then go sit on the furniture and eat it? Do they have Swedish Meatballs and are they any good? Do you also have access to the Ridemonkey Courtesy Phone Network?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Can you order food and then go sit on the furniture and eat it? Do they have Swedish Meatballs and are they any good? Do you also have access to the Ridemonkey Courtesy Phone Network?
No, they have a special restaurant area and a shop area with hot dogs and produce area at the end. Swedish Meatballs are very good.

What's the RM Courtesy Phone Network? I'm a bit retarded after reading over 3000 pages of scripts in 8 days.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have no idea since I don't have access to it, but apparently you can summon folks in Foriegn lands so they can make important life decisions for you by using the Courtesy Phone.... I am thinking it would be immensly helpful to have and that I would be a perfect candidate for said Phone as I am frequently lost and confused. Since you're retarded you could summon DaPeach and he could advise you on what kind of Tampons to buy for your wife, girlfriend, or secret lover. Or a decent wine that goes with Pork, or any of the stupid crap he likes to go on about because he's a foriegner....

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Didn't know Tampons are a foreigner item. I guess I could learn a lot from him. Gotta get that number.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I have a Altitude 70 I may look at trading for the Motolite...
It's a 2005 model Motolite, Crossmax UST wheels, Fox Float RLC fork, and XTR cranks, but the rest of the components were upgraded in 2008/9. If your Altitude 70 isn't that old, it may not be worth it to you.

However, can't you get shipments from the USA without the enormous international shipping and VAT costs? Maybe you want to test ride some bikes? :brows:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
It's a 2005 model Motolite, Crossmax UST wheels, Fox Float RLC fork, and XTR cranks, but the rest of the components were upgraded in 2008/9. If your Altitude 70 isn't that old, it may not be worth it to you.

However, can't you get shipments from the USA without the enormous international shipping and VAT costs? Maybe you want to test ride some bikes? :brows:
Not really...APOs are US post offices, but the mail goes to NY, where it sits until there is space for it on a military aircraft. It may take months to get something here. And whatever insurance you purchase only covers it to NY. My kids are still getting Xmas gifts from the relations 2 months later...