Quantcast

Ever run over a snake?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I ran over a eastern hog nosed snake this weekend on a trail in VA. Both wheels. I nearly crapped myself. We had seen a dead rattler in the road just the day before and eastern hog nosed snakes look a lot like timber rattlers. (Both are big and thick with dark banded markings and hog snake has an almost triangular head like most poisonous snakes.)

I saw him just about the time my front wheel hit him. I barely had enough time to throw my feet up in the air off the pedals and let out an "AHHHHHH!!!!!! SHIZNIT!!!!!!" He didn't seem hurt, just mad. After I stopped, I cautiously went back to see what he was. He looked at me for a minute and I him, then he slithered off the trail and I down the trail.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm pretty fast, I'm somewhere between a snake and a mongoose.... and a panther.....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've bunnyhopped a few blacksnakes this year. Last year I pulled off a trail to let some people coming from the other directions by. When I put my foot down I heard a rattle. Damn near stepped on a rather pissed off rattle snake. After emptying the contents of my bowels I slowly retreated.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I remember riding over a stick that was across the trail. It turned out to be a rattlesnake once I got my front wheel over him. It was on a slight uphill in Phoenix and I didn't look back after hopping the back wheel up and over him.

Fortunately, I had hopped the front wheel over before noticing what it was and not just ridden over.

sixsixtysix

Monkey
Mar 6, 2005
Hell
I have run in's with rattlers all the time out here in Phoenix. Have only had one close call where I dropped off a rock ledge and heard a hiss, thought I blew my tire, but I kept rolling the line only to get to the bottom and look back up and see a 4ft rattler coiled under the ledge. If I had actually stopped and put my leg down, who knows what the outcome would have been.

I have been on rides where I have seen a half dozen in a day, but usually they are just cruising across the trail, as long as you give them their room they don't even notice you.

The thing that freaks me out more than snakes out here are Javelina, nothing like coming across a herd of wild pigs...

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
If a snake wore pants, he'd probably be able to wear a coat too. That's be cool to be riding along on a trail and see a snake wearing a pant and coat. And sunglasses.
That's one shady-sounding snake your describing right there......I almost would expect to have him come up to me and say "....Psssssssst, buddy...wanna buy a watch?"

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
No, because the word "pants" imply that you have some assembelence of legs to support them. In the case of the snake, it would be relegated to wearing a form-fitting tube top. :thumb:
No you're outdated, that was in the 80's. Current serpentine fashion trends have slithered a long way from then.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's one shady-sounding snake your describing right there......I almost would expect to have him come up to me and say "....Psssssssst, buddy...wanna buy a watch?"
But snakes don't have wrists to wear watches. They'd probably just have clocks around their necks like Flava Flav.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I ran over a few copperheads last year, and one unidentified snake a few years back. Luckily, I haven't seen any this year.

Only Rattler I ever saw on a ride was at Pine Mountain while I was chatting with a dude that almost got taken out by a huge swarm of bees a few minutes earlier. Strange day that was.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Yeah, boyeeeee.

Sorry.
It's OK......it was bound to happen sooner or later. Honestly, with a step-on-a-snake thread going, I'm really surprised there has been any d*ck jokes yet, but it's Monday and everyone doesn't get really sharp until at least mid-morning on Wednesday.......

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I've come across rattlers about 3 times a year on average. I've had some well timed bunnyhops, but I've ran 'em over too. Its a scary thought to have a poisonous snake caught in the spokes of a spinning wheel....yikes

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I've come across rattlers about 3 times a year on average. I've had some well timed bunnyhops, but I've ran 'em over too. Its a scary thought to have a poisonous snake caught in the spokes of a spinning wheel....yikes
I worry about them getting flung up onto my back.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
It's OK......it was bound to happen sooner or later. Honestly, with a step-on-a-snake thread going, I'm really surprised there has been any d*ck jokes yet, but it's Monday and everyone doesn't get really sharp until at least mid-morning on Wednesday.......
OFF TOPIC!#$@$T%%^Y%

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
My snake wasn't wearing any pant. I guess he was a some sort of au natural no-pant wearing hippy snake. Maybe that's why he didn't try to bite me. F'ing pacifist.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Anyway....yeah, I ran over a rattlesnake last year in Colorado. It was a flat, straight doubletrack and I had my head down a bit. Didn't see it until I was about a foot away. Both wheels went right over it. I stopped a few feet later and the snake seemed pissed, but didn't bite me. Nearly crapped myself. I stood there for a few minutes and two joggers came through. I warned them about the snake, but neither could see it until they were only a few feet away. Scary stuff.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I was riding at Cachuma Lake about 2-3 years ago and noticed a snake between my wheels. I didn't have enough time to lift my rear wheel over it and rode over it. It scared the **** out of me, so I sprinted away.

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
Me and my dad where riding in Waterton Canyon this summer. We where side by side coming down the service road and in the middle of us was a rattlesnake about 6ft. long coiled up. I didn't know what it was until it started to move as we went between us. Scared the crap out of me. We stopped and tryed to look at it but it slithered away into the bushes.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I had one get caught in my spokes once on a downhill. That was messy. Very messy.