Quantcast

Everyone is a GM Employee!

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Oops I missed this. I was out to lunch, but yes I am. I am a controller for (sorry for the SPAM) www.Holmanauto.com . Prior to this I was an internal auditor. I also previously owned my own small used car dealership, and had a few years of experience with Enterprise Rent-A-Car in operations, audit and the corporate office. There were also a few years for an automotive finance company, I am sure there is more, but Id have to refer to my resume. :blah:
haha lexx d just got OWNED! :thumb:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The 1996-2002 4Runner is the second safest vehicle on the road based on occupant deaths per million units sold. The safest is some $100K Mercedes. Toyota = :thumb:
Ford = :nope:

Barbaton said:
deathtrap.

seriously.

i drive to new york twice a month or to VT in the winter and every single time I'm delayed an hour because of a rolled Explorer, Navigator, or Expedition. I'm surprised they're even allowed to sell them given the rollover rate...

In fairness I have once been delayed by a rolled 4-Runner as well.

NoOnEKnOsMe

Chimp
Mar 1, 2005
Coto De Caza, Ca
The whole reason why they are dropping the prices is because gas is so expensive. Almost all of their cars are v8s compared to toyotas little sedans. thats why toyota has boosted and gm and ford have dropped. gm actually have very good reliability...i know because i have owned several. i just got rid of a suburban that i had put 71k miles on in the 2 years that ive had it and the only problem that ive ever had was a burnt out bearing in the front axle (from off-roading) at 65k mile mark. the unreliable cars now are mercedes and bmw and all the other luxury car companies.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Not all GM's are created equal. I have a friend who's suburban went back to GM under the lemon law. By 30K it was complete crap and it was driven responsibly by a soccer mom ie; never taken off-road, always dealer maintained etc. When's the last time you heard of a Toyota lemon???

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
punkassean said:
Not all GM's are created equal. I have a friend who's suburban went back to GM under the lemon law. By 30K it was complete crap and it was driven responsibly by a soccer mom ie; never taken off-road, always dealer maintained etc. When's the last time you heard of a Toyota lemon???
My girlfriends 94 4-runner, She bought the car with 55,000 miles or so on it, ofcourse the dealership had no records on it or anything because it was a trade in but it's like any other used car from a car lot.

To find out at around 85,000 miles or so she drives maybe 100 yards to the drug store and back and her car's blowing smoke, I check it out, and had a blown head gasket. We ask everyone we knew with like 89-95 4-runners and each person and the head gaskets blow. They got lucky and toyota fixed them for free. Well her's was already fixed for free once at like 45,000 miles. So they refused to fix it again. Best part? The engine had warped to the point where it had to be replaced. She had it fixed (as good as it was going to) and sold it.

I dunno, head gaskets blowing with 40,000 miles (or in some cases more/less miles) sounds fishy. I knew the 3.0 v6 in them was really gutless but jeeze, I didn't think that they had a fault with the head gaskets.

I've owned Chevy's, and had my fair share of issues with them, but nothing really major. My dad's got a astro van with 200k miles on it and not one single problem with it, runs like a champ. My girlfriends 2002 civic, has a insturment cluster gremlin that comes out. So it doesn't really matter what year/make of car, they all that their stupid but sometimes expensive issues.

NoOnEKnOsMe

Chimp
Mar 1, 2005
Coto De Caza, Ca
All car companies are gonna have faulty cars no matter what. Those things happen when you pump out thousands of cars a year. You cant really say that one company makes pos unreliable cars unless youve owned them. And by them i mean multiple. The fact is GM is not lowering prices because they are unreliable (which is not true) they are lowering prices because of the cost of gas. I live in Southern California where gas is nearly 3 dollars a gallon. who is gonna want to drive a car that costs 80 bucks to fill up? so they go buy toyotas and hondas that cost a fourth of the price for a full tank.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
FWIW my Toyota is a gas guzzler and the 3.0 headgasket was covered issue under a recall. I am surprised your GF's HG blew again because I've never heard of that before. It leads me to believe that the second time was not related to the recall and probably caused by overheating or something similar. That still doesn't make the car a lemon by law though unlike the Suburban my friend had.

Anyway GM is in bad shape and that's a fact. Even worldwide they are hurting compared to Toyota who is on the rise. That's not just because of gas prices either GM has plenty of economy cars to offer but people aren't buying.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
odiwik said:
More information on the IMBA Subaru deal please....
The Subaru or IMBA website should have more information, but all IMBA members are entitled to buy any Subaru at dealer invoice price.

Click.

edit: Damn you, IAB. Your lightning-like baboon reflexs are too quick for me!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
... and now:

Reuters
Ford offers cash discounts on new cars
Friday June 3, 3:44 pm ET

DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co.(NYSE:F - News), which has warned that its automotive operations may not be profitable this year, on Friday said it was offering cash rebates for the first time on several new cars and sweetening incentives on its slow-selling Explorer SUV.

The move came after the second-largest U.S. automaker on Wednesday reported its 12th straight month of declining U.S. sales and after rival General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - News) ratcheted up Detroit's long-running incentives war with a new aggressive consumer rebate program.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
odiwik said:
More information on the IMBA Subaru deal please....

Go talk to my buddie Dave at Subaru of Countryside in Chicago. He will set you up.

When did this thread become Toyota is the bestest thread?

Toyota autos do absloutly nothing for me. The Corolla is just boring and offers no feel for the road average gas milage for the size and bland styling, sorry Civic wins this battle. Don't even bring up the Hybrid crap, this is the only thing besides the Taco that Toyota does right.

The camry is also a boring, boring, souless car. Made for yuppie schmoe's to drive to the train station. A lame attempt. I would rather have a Accord, grand prix, or legacy.

Avalon? More lameness.

Rav4 nope Jeep Liberty please

Toyota trucks are good, but I doubt they will ever take over for Chevy or Ford.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Damn True said:
My GF is buying a new Infinity G35 sedan. Nice freakin car.
True, make her get the coupe not the sedan and be sure to get the sport package with 18" wheels and Brembos!!! :drool:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
If I lived in Cali I'd have an auto too. Clutches don't last long in ****ty ****ty traffic.
Yeah - the traffic here isn't nearly as bad as Cali. Although if I got a nice car like that it wouldn't have an automatic.

I wish they made Honda Odysseys with manual trans. :mad:

-S.S.-

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
There is a BIIIIG difference between "an automatic" and a 6-spd tiptronic. :rolleyes:

Most automatics are a 3 or 4-spd SOME are 5-spd but it's VERY rare to see a 6-spd let alone a tiptronic. With 6 forward gears you have nice tight ratios and with tiptronic you have the ability to go full auto for freeway crawling or essentially manual for fun time. It's about as close to the best of both worlds as you can hope for short of a Ferrari Modena w/F1 package which costs over $200,000.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
punkassean said:
There is a BIIIIG difference between "an automatic" and a 6-spd tiptronic. :rolleyes:

Most automatics are a 3 or 4-spd SOME are 5-spd but it's VERY rare to see a 6-spd let alone a tiptronic. With 6 forward gears you have nice tight ratios and with tiptronic you have the ability to go full auto for freeway crawling or essentially manual for fun time. It's about as close to the best of both worlds as you can hope for short of a Ferrari Modena w/F1 package which costs over $200,000.
Still nothing to do with the left foot.

I want something to keep my left foot happy.

You can keep your damn "Tiptronic" crap. :p

-S.S.-

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
SkaredShtles said:

-S.S.-

Drive from Mt. View to South San Jose on hwy 85 or from Oakland to San Jose on 880 or from SF to San Jose on 101 at around 5pm and you'd change your tune.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Damn True said:
Drive from Mt. View to South San Jose on hwy 85 or from Oakland to San Jose on 880 or from SF to San Jose on 101 at around 5pm and you'd change your tune.
If S.S. did that he wouldn't be able to spend as much time on the computer belittling others. :sneaky: :)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Damn True said:
Naw - I did that back in '96 for a few months with a standard in an Audi Quattro.

My left foot was happy for those 3 months. :D

My brain was pissed, though.

-S.S.-

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
N8 said:
Avalon = a plush Grandma car
:thumb:

Last year I inherited a 96 avalon from my folks when they retired with their truck/5th wheel to travel around the country. It ain't much to look at (Gold with tan interior!
) but it's got 191,000 miles and still runs smooth as day one. Can't complain about the 30mpg either.

I'm thinking of getting some doileys or an afghan to drape across the back seat...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
A friend of mine just bought a fully loaded 4-door Silverado pick up stickered at $32.5k for $23k. He got the discount and a $2k rebate on top of that.

He said the discounted price was clearly marked on the windshield. The only haggling was over his trade-in... and they were pretty generous with that because they needed to sell the truck.

Sux it is still a Chevy though...

"Whot.. no haggling???"

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
SkaredShtles said:
Try driving one of these:

After that *anything* is an improvement........... :D
One year I had to drive a Chevy Sprint to college. Bear in mind, I'm 6'6". Imagine me and everything I owned packed into that little hatchback making the 300 mile trek across Washington State. Heading over the mountain pass in the Cascades I could only manage about 40 mph on the freeway. :dancing:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Atomic Dog said:
One year I had to drive a Chevy Sprint to college. Bear in mind, I'm 6'6". Imagine me and everything I owned packed into that little hatchback making the 300 mile trek across Washington State. Heading over the mountain pass in the Cascades I could only manage about 40 mph on the freeway. :dancing:
Hmmm..... sounds disturbingly familiar. I moved from MI to CO in that Tercel (actually it had morphed into a slightly newer Tercel) - I used to try to catch a draft behind semis because with a headwind I could only manage about 50mph across Iowa and Nebraska.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
SkaredShtles said:

-S.S.-
:stupid:

I've never understood the triptronic concept. What we like about manual is the control you have via the clutch. If you give that up, then you might as well just have an automatic. How's triptronic any different than just moving your auto lever from 1 to 2 to 3 etc, except that you're moving from side to side in sily little +/- slots and can't tell from the location of the shifter feel what gear you're in?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Barbaton said:
:stupid:

I've never understood the triptronic concept. What we like about manual is the control you have via the clutch. If you give that up, then you might as well just have an automatic. How's triptronic any different than just moving your auto lever from 1 to 2 to 3 etc, except that you're moving from side to side in sily little +/- slots and can't tell from the location of the shifter feel what gear you're in?
And then when they bust, it costs more than the GNP of most 3rd world countries to get it fixed.

Standards *almost* never break.

I hate automatics. I half think it'd be worth it to try some retrofit of a 5-speed in my Odyssey. :mad:

-S.S.-