Quantcast

Evil Sovereign vs DOC Differences?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
For one thing, the Soverign uses a custom Reynolds tubeset instead of the fairly generic steel of the DOC...

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
The geometery, tubeset, adjustability, and manufacturing are all different. Honestly, the only real similarity is that they were both designed by DW.

What info are you really looking for?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
ssaddict said:
The geometery, tubeset, adjustability, and manufacturing are all different. Honestly, the only real similarity is that they were both designed by DW.

What info are you really looking for?
wow man i thought they were almost identicle, that would explain the price difference... :thumb:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Evil isn't making any frames in house. I think the Soverign production is going to Indy Fab.

As for the tubes, according to pinkbike, it is triple butted, air-hardening alloy made by Reynolds. Sounds like 853 to me.

My impression is that the DOC was more of a street/park frame and the Soverign was more of a all around trail bike. I think country of origin accounts for the price difference.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
manhattanprjkt83 said:
wow man i thought they were almost identicle, that would explain the price difference... :thumb:
To the average person and the naked eye, they will look pretty similar (except for some details like the dropouts, HT, etc.). But the DOC has a little more of Chris's influence into the geometry, and is going to be a little more comfortable in the street and park.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
hmm, seems a little inconsistent here.
ok how can the DOC even have tripple butted tubing, nevermind reynolds' top of the line steel alloy for that price?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
CreeP said:
hmm, seems a little inconsistent here.
ok how can the DOC even have tripple butted tubing, nevermind reynolds' top of the line steel alloy for that price?
853 is reynolds top of the line (soveriegn)
631 is their middle-of-the-line air-hardening steel (DOC)

853 is really fackin' expensive. How the sovereign costs that little when it's made of the same stuff (plus smaller run tubesets) and in the same (I think) as an IF deluxe blows my mind.

631 is still a whole helluvalot stronger and nicer than standard 4130 or even heat-treated 4130, but a way more reasonable price than 853. Couple that with Taiwanese production vs American and you've got your relative price differences... though both are still steals (pun, he he) for what you get.

Seriously, do a quick search on the cheapest 853 and 631 hardtail you can find and see how it matches up at retail. Then remember that none of those other bikes used custom drawn tubes, and all of them were made overseas.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
ohio said:

853 is really fackin' expensive. How the sovereign costs that little when it's made of the same stuff (plus smaller run tubesets) and in the same (I think) as an IF deluxe blows my mind.

631 is still a whole helluvalot stronger and nicer than standard 4130 or even heat-treated 4130, but a way more reasonable price than 853. Couple that with Taiwanese production vs American and you've got your relative price differences... though both are still steals (pun, he he) for what you get.

Seriously, do a quick search on the cheapest 853 and 631 hardtail you can find and see how it matches up at retail. Then remember that none of those other bikes used custom drawn tubes, and all of them were made overseas.
The Sovereign should be selling for alot closer to the $1425 cost of the 853 IF built bike than $800

And the DOC is no different, seeing some of the welds on the unpainted prototype the quality is UNREAL! With that awesome headtube and all the sick adjustment in the dropouts, there is no reason it shouldn't sell for double it's MSRP.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
I don't really think fancy tubes, really high quality welds and nice dropouts appeal that much to the street/park crowd. At least not to the point where you could charge a lot more than the compertion. Those touches however can however make all the difference when someone is chosing between two similar frames with similar pricing.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Thanks Ohio and SSAddict, you guys got it locked down!

D_D, I think that more street/ park riders may be into a high end bike than you think. All the fancy tubes, nice welds and features add up to frames that will last longer and at the same time be lighter than a frame without that stuff. You are dead on with the second part though. Feature for feature, tube for tube, Evil frames have always been among the top of their class in terms of features and quality for the the cost. This frame is designed right along those same ideals really.

Man, I have to go to sleep! 5AMs coming quick...

dw

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
ohio said:

the IF has a little bit more butting that goes into it then the evil will. i maybe wrong on this but i'm sure the evil is going to be powdercoated and not painted by IF. dave can correct me if i'm wrong. another difference in the price would be seen in the fact that IF does custom geometry stuff only now. all their bikes are being built one by one instead of batches (which i'm sure the evil's will be built in). i'm sure there are some other things going on that would influence the price but as of right now i can't think of em.

dave, i thought tyler and those boys weren't building the production, that they were just building the protos? haven't talked to tyler in a while so i've missed out on some info.......

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
indieboy said:
the IF has a little bit more butting that goes into it then the evil will. i maybe wrong on this but i'm sure the evil is going to be powdercoated and not painted by IF. dave can correct me if i'm wrong. another difference in the price would be seen in the fact that IF does custom geometry stuff only now. all their bikes are being built one by one instead of batches (which i'm sure the evil's will be built in). i'm sure there are some other things going on that would influence the price but as of right now i can't think of em.

dave, i thought tyler and those boys weren't building the production, that they were just building the protos? haven't talked to tyler in a while so i've missed out on some info.......

I know IF's are totally custom and alot different than a Sovereign (apples and oranges really), I only ment they should sell for a price closer to that of the 853 IF.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
indieboy said:
IF is totally sweet
Don't get me wrong... I wasn't bashing the pricing on IFs and I recognize the production differences. I was just trying to provide a frame of reference for the "high" price of the sovereign.

IF's for the record, are completely worth the money for the attention and quality that goes into them. I've spent a lot of time looking into the ops and financials, and can tell you that those guys aren't making a killing on their frames.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
ohio said:
Don't get me wrong... I wasn't bashing the pricing on IFs and I recognize the production differences. I was just trying to provide a frame of reference for the "high" price of the sovereign.

IF's for the record, are completely worth the money for the attention and quality that goes into them. I've spent a lot of time looking into the ops and financials, and can tell you that those guys aren't making a killing on their frames.

trust me they aren't. while i was there i had to do a decent amount of paper work and some number crunching. it's not much.

i know you weren't bashing IF, you or SS, i was just trying to point out why they were so much more for other ppl. i know the two of you are completely capable of seeing the price difference but others may not :) just wait till next week to see some crazy ass stuff :evil:

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
ohio said:

My peyto in 853 cost 1200 canadian (945 to you guys) including shipping across the continent, and taxes and was all custom work.

DW said:
I think that more street/ park riders may be into a high end bike than you think. All the fancy tubes, nice welds and features add up to frames that will last longer and at the same time be lighter than a frame without that stuff.
that's why i sprang for the peyto; here's hoping it pays off.
And DW i think your batches had better be huge for the DOC :D :thumb:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
indieboy said:

Hi Jamie,

You are wrong on this. Next time, you should DEFINITELY check your facts first...

Perfect tubes for the IF frames already exist off the shelf, so they dont have to worry about that. Not the case for us. The Evil tubes, are arguably, MORE custom than the IF tubes actually. Not takiing anything away from the IF frames at all of course, but we had to build all custom tooling for the Sovereign tubes because Reynolds has never previously buil tubing this strong before. Tubing diameters, butting profiles, everything is custom.

The Sovereigns are built in CA, USA by a small 2-man custom shop that is building exclusively for Evil. Thats about as "boutique" as it gets.

Fact is that Ohio is right. The Sovereign frame should EASILY sell for as much as any custom built frame if you are taking into account materials etc... Maybe more. Its not like this is a high production item.

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
indieboy said:
just wait till next week to see some crazy ass stuff :evil:

I just got back home from a several day vacation to IF, where my man Tyler and I just put the finishing touches on the T.E. 2

Holy crap that bike came out sweet.

Dave

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
CreeP said:
My peyto in 853 cost 1200 canadian (945 to you guys) including shipping across the continent, and taxes and was all custom work.
Exactly, close to a grand and you're still not getting custom drawn tubes. Custom geometry is a different story (also not cheap).

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
ohio said:
That's the one that can morph its arms into blades and hammers, right? Not like the first generation that looks like Ahhhhnold...
hahahah yeah, thats the one :)

peyto

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
Vancouver, B.C.
dw said:
The Sovereign frame should EASILY sell for as much as any custom built frame if you are taking into account materials etc... Maybe more.
Dave
I'm going to have to disagree with that point. I realize having tubes custom drawn isn't cheap, but doing a production run of one or two sizes is dramatically more efficient than one off custom work. Ordering tubes and frame parts in bulk that are all identical, as well as having frames painted all the same color in batches is a huge money saver. Custom work requires alot of set up time at each step of the build process. Geometry, tube size and part choice is always different, so every chainstay and seatstay bend is different, every disk tab, stay bridge and gusset must be cut to a different shape to accomodate the changes. And I won't even go into the amount of extra work and time required when fillet brazing, or the huge amount of time spent communicating with the customer to make sure he/she gets what they want.

Paul

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
dw said:
Hi Jamie,

You are wrong on this. Next time, you should DEFINITELY check your facts first...

Perfect tubes for the IF frames already exist off the shelf, so they dont have to worry about that. Not the case for us. The Evil tubes, are arguably, MORE custom than the IF tubes actually. Not takiing anything away from the IF frames at all of course, but we had to build all custom tooling for the Sovereign tubes because Reynolds has never previously buil tubing this strong before. Tubing diameters, butting profiles, everything is custom.

The Sovereigns are built in CA, USA by a small 2-man custom shop that is building exclusively for Evil. Thats about as "boutique" as it gets.

Fact is that Ohio is right. The Sovereign frame should EASILY sell for as much as any custom built frame if you are taking into account materials etc... Maybe more. Its not like this is a high production item.

Dave
yo dude!
talked to joe today, b/c i was under the assumption that IF wasn't building the production runs. didn't see you post anything against it and hadn't talked to tyler in quite some time so i figured it may have changed since i've last talked to him *shruggs*

with the tooling, did jeff help you guys set that up or did jamie do it?

and yes the T.E. does look sweet, wish lloyd and tyler would send me one to test ride in the GA clay......

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
peyto said:
I'm going to have to disagree with that point. I realize having tubes custom drawn isn't cheap, but doing a production run of one or two sizes is dramatically more efficient than one off custom work
Different kinds of costs. Your custom geometry and tube choice is a marginal cost. The cost of drawing new tubing is a fixed cost for the tooling... amortize it over the length of the production run and it could end up costing you more or less than custom geometry on a per bike basis. So without raw numbers (which no one should put up online) it's all academic. The point isn't whether or not the sovereign should cost more or is a better bike than a custom hardtail, it's that for what it is the sovereign is a damn good deal.