Quantcast

Ex-Smokers...how long has it been and...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
chicodude01 said:
One of the medics at N* (The darker skinned dude with braces) thought a dipped and asked me for some, and he was pretty bummed out when he found out it was electrical tape making that mark in my camelback bag.
No he said you were a "dip" :nuts: :eviltongu :blah:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
I only smoked for a short while during my freshman year. Haven't had anything but weed since then and haven't even smoked that in around 2 years.

On the contrary, my grandmother smokes 5 packs a day, is 81, has emphysema and poor circulation along with every other smoking related health problem, and yet she still claims that it's worth it. She says she'll smoke until the day she dies.

People are so stupid. They really are.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I started smoking when I was 11 or 12, just messing around with my friends. Really took up the habit around 15. I quit 3 years ago in September. My wife was on her way out the door to go get us some MORE smokes when I yakked up something very similar to a jellyfish all over my leg, shoe and floor. I just said "I think I'm done" and she said "done what?" I said "smoking" And I was...that little bit of whatever was enough to scare me...it was that "trigger" I needed to quit. I didnt change anything in my life to keep from smoking, I still eat well, drink coffee, have great sex and drink Mountain Dew. (A smoke and a dew was my "thing") Other people smoking doesnt bother me, my wife still does...that bothers me, but shes working on it. Like Bikegeek said...my smoke money eventually became my bike money...this is now my bad habit. I dont see myself quitting this one anytime soon.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I quit the habit for good in March of 2004. I Finally decided then that I wanted to quit more than I wanted to Smoke and a from there it was easy.
Only 3 Years earlier my Father died of Lung Cancer from smoking.
At that time I decided then that smoking was not only not for me, but not for ANYONE.
I made the decision when my daughter was born that I did not want to put her thru what I went thru with my Father. NO ONE DESERVES THAT. It was the worst 6 Months of my life. From Diagnosis to Death was only 6 Months. Watching my dad whom was my best friend suffer all the way to the end, was more than I could handle. I haven't been the same person since.
ATTENTION ANYONE WHO SMOKES: IF YOU LOVE YOUR FAMILY, STOP NOW! PLEASE!! They need you more than you will ever know! Smoking not only destroys your life, but those around you when you die.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i smoked occasionally for a year and then went off to college and smoked alot for 3 years, quit 2 times during that and then oneday i just stopped. mostly quit drinking too and actually ended up not hanging around the friends i smoked with, its been 2 years now and only one lapse, i was in a bar drinking and had 2-3 cigs, chucked and said never again...so if i think of smoking now i associate it with puke...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
robdamanii said:
I only smoked for a short while during my freshman year. Haven't had anything but weed since then and haven't even smoked that in around 2 years.

On the contrary, my grandmother smokes 5 packs a day, is 81, has emphysema and poor circulation along with every other smoking related health problem, and yet she still claims that it's worth it. She says she'll smoke until the day she dies.

People are so stupid. They really are.
Mate, she's 81. She's made her 3 score and ten plus change. Have a durry with her. She's in the bonus round, quit giving her a hard time. :thumb:

Prechrysler

Chimp
Aug 6, 2004
I smoked from 15-17 and then again from 22-24. I'm 27 now. The first time I quit was because I knew that if I continued at the rate I was going I'd be dead before my 21st birthday. So, I quit doing everything and that included cigs. At 22 I went out to my friends cabin and remained drunk for 3 days straight. During those 3 days I smoked perpetually and when I finally sobered up I realized that I was addicted. At 24 I quit because I realized that I don't really like cigarettes, that, and they're seriously counter-productive to physical fitness, of which I've been obsessed with since I was 17. For me it was a maturity thing. I quit cold turkey both times.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
ridetoofast said:
how did you quit?
I quit in fall 2001 after smoking for eight years or so. This is how I did it: I used The Patch and weaned myself off it faster than its instructions even said to. I cut patches in half myself instead of buying them in particular sizes (mg). Then one day I ran out of patches. I got really sick. I had to drive to the store but was too nauseous to do so. I knew I had to get a little nicotene in me to make the 15 minute drive. So I took one drag of my roommate's cigarette. This was after not smoking for over two weeks. That one drag tasted exactly like I licked an ashtray. I was disgusted that I had smoked for so long! That drag was my last ever, I'm proud to say!

I'd recommend just taking one drag after having quit for a couple weeks. That way you've had some time away from smoking and can really see and taste smoking for what it really is--downright nasty.

Now I have an asthma attack if I'm even near smoke. I hate going to smoky clubs.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Smoked for 5 years, quit cold turkey for 5 years, started again for 3 years, and its now been 5 years since I've had one. I must admit, there are times when I still want one....but I will never (heres hoping) smoke again.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
DRB it is surprising given the nature of this site isnt it?

all the other :monkey:s that have replied thanks for your stories and your support :thumb:

its been one week now. no real cravings, just the occasional withdrawal pain in my chest. no booze at all. one cup of joe in the morning. LOTS of water and a bit of gum. the cravings really havent been that bad. when and if i do want one its for other mental issues but so far i've been able to tell myself it won't solve anything.

glad to hear that so many of you have been able to stay 'on the wagon'

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
DRB said:
I'm just shocked by this. I never would have guessed that many of you smoked (present or ever).
Cycling is the vehicle that allowed me to focus my energy on a healthier life style. Cycling is one of the reasons I quit smoking.

I have a theory that 90% of my Brothered fall in to this category (not necessarily smoking related.)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hell I carried a pack of drum rolling tobacco with me on the continental divide ride. 3 months of huffing and puffing up hills and just plain puffing at the top of them. Didn't seem to slow me down at all.

It's only when you're sitting around smelling yourself inside that you truly realize how freakin nasty it is.....not when you're out riding. ;)

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I wish I could say it was me that stopped me. I actually quit after 18 years. I can honestly say that I quirt because of mtb. After the Ex-wife died, I started smoking out of anger…..(and drinking) I road DH for the first time in ’03. I was smoking and massive out of shape.

I finally started school and actually prayed. It went along the lines of “….yo God…..I can honestly say that I am beyond help with smoking. God I just can’t do it. I don’t even need your help, it’s just not enough. God, you got to do the whole thing the whole way.” I threw out the cigarettes and have not had one in EXACTLY one year to the day!

:think: weird…….

Yeah, Big Daddy Junior and da Spooks, we tight! :thumb:

I know it may sound corny and cliché, but it is what it is…..

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I smoked 2-3 packs of Camels a day from 1986 - 2000. Quit cold turkey when my wife and I decided to have a baby. Just seemed like the right thing to do.

stuntmatty

Thnikkaman
Oct 2, 2003
Bike Hater Central
Smoked for 10 years and quit in march 2001. Now whenever I visit my father who smokes, I come home sick and struggle to breathe for a week.

Cold turkey is a really amazing experience. I just woke up one morning and told myself that I was no longer a smoker. One simple thought in a brief moment and the behavior was changed forever.

I think the hardest part of quitting smoking is not becoming preachy afterwords.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
One thing that everyone has touched on here that is very important: attitude.

I smoked from 14 to 28 years old. There was a brief period where I didn't smoke when my ex was pregnant - other than that, at least a pack a day.

After I got more into mountain biking, I'd even have cigarettes in my hydration pack. I'd be sitting at the top of a long climb smoking. It really bothered other riders.

:nope:

At 28, I'd had enough.

I decided that I wasn't going to smoke any more, that I was no longer a smoker. "Trying" to quit doesn't work.

It's really simple. To stop smoking forever: don't ever smoke again. Make it that in your life, smoking is simply not an option anymore.

Once you embrace the attitude, resisting the cravings is cake.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The Toninator said:
Cycling is the vehicle that allowed me to focus my energy on a healthier life style. Cycling is one of the reasons I quit smoking.

I have a theory that 90% of my Brothered fall in to this category (not necessarily smoking related.)
That's great (for all of you), its just weird because none of my crew have ever smoked. There used to be an Expert XC racer around here that was pretty fast and as soon as he finished a race the first thing he would do was light up.

Cycling does seem to have a positive impact on folks lives and that's a great thing.

KNine

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
North American For Life
I stopped smoking in 99 after some riding friends found and started to give me hell about it. So i said F**K You watch and just quit. Have not even considered smoking again since.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
to all y'all :monkey:s that quit...did you quit the booze/beer/wine thing for good too?...or just for a while

i've stopped in the past and to make it any length of time at all the juice had to go for sure.

its only been a week and i can tell my sense of smell is coming back better. i havent had a chance to ride much yet but what little i have done certainly seems to be easier.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
ridetoofast said:
to all y'all :monkey:s that quit...did you quit the booze/beer/wine thing for good too?...or just for a while

i've stopped in the past and to make it any length of time at all the juice had to go for sure.

its only been a week and i can tell my sense of smell is coming back better. i havent had a chance to ride much yet but what little i have done certainly seems to be easier.
I drink a beer now and then, but it never helps to turn to another vice when your trying to quit one.

Tough out the cravings for tobacco for about a month and it's smooth sailing from there. Just don't EVER use the logic of, "Oh it's been 6 months, one cigarette won't hurt..." If you ever smoke again, you've never quit.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
oh i didnt mean im going to turn to another vice, its just that beer seems to be a natural 'ballast' for cigs.

it has gotten to the point though that they already really stink to me which is a good thing i guess.

for the next 2 weeks or so i actually get to ride my bike to work so i think that is going to help too

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
not so much quit, as lay off for a while. in the past i couldn't get past 2 or 3 beers and the nicotine :monkey: would be jumping up and down on my back something fierce.

ive been able to shake it though and oh the ice cold yuengling be tasting sooooo good :drool: :drool: :drool:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
ridetoofast said:
its been one week now.
Hey, nice work fella. Keep it up. We're rooting for you.

I'm pretty lucky in that I'm just not prone to addiction, but I've seen how hard it is from watching others... I can definitely appreciate the effort you're putting in.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
ridetoofast said:
tomorrow will be 9 weeks since ive had a smoke and feel sooooo much better
Heh, is that why you were such a dick in the PD forum?

I'm just kidding, man. Nice work.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
ohio said:
Hey, nice work fella. Keep it up. We're rooting for you.

I'm pretty lucky in that I'm just not prone to addiction, but I've seen how hard it is from watching others... I can definitely appreciate the effort you're putting in.

how many bikes do you have? its just a 'hobby' and not an addiction right?

thanks though i appreciate it :thumb:

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
ridetoofast said:
how did you quit?
I quit way back in '98.

I used a combination of the patch and Benadryl. The patch wound me up so tightly I didn't know what to do with myself, and the Benadryl proved very effective at countering those effects.

It made quitting real easy. (well as easy as it can be)

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
ridetoofast said:
how many bikes do you have? its just a 'hobby' and not an addiction right?
Heh, fair enough. I'd argue biking is a lot healthier, but my body has suffered more damage from riding than from anything else, except maybe skiing and I've got the same gear problem there too...

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
If anyone here still smokes, I urge you to give it up as soon as possible. Aside from being expensive, Tobacco smoke contains dozens or carcinogens. I'm not an anti-smoking Nazi, but please read the following story if you are uncommitted to giving up smoking.

My father who smoked for 25 years, and quit 15 years ago has small cell lung cancer. It turns out then 90% or so of the people with this type of cancer smoked for 20+ years. Small cell lung cancer is incurable, and the 2 year survival rate is 10%, if you catch it before it spreads. The 5 year survival rate is basically 0.

The first symptom my father had was a stomach ache, he thought it was from some bad spaghetti. After five days he finally went to the ER. After waiting 10 hours, they finally did an X-ray and spotted a liver tumor. The next day he had a CAT scan. His lung cancer had already spread to this lymph nodes, liver, and throughout his chest cavity. His Doctors said he had 3-6 weeks to live if he didn't get treatment.

Now he's on nine different medicines and chemo. Not that there is any real hope of curing the disease, just to prolong his life by six months to a year.

It tears me up to see him this way. He's had a rough life. He left home at 17 to join the Navy. Spent 26 years in the navy, including a couple of tours in 'nam. He should be enjoying his retirement.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Now if Reactors last post isn't some incintive to quit, I don't know what is. May God's grace shine upon you and your family.

I'm on day 2 of quitting. It's not that bad, but I am wondering when I will reach the point where I don't want to smoke anymore. I went a week last year and after the week was up, I was like "well, how come I still want to smoke?"

If I knew this pain would end, I'd have no problem. What scares me is that I've heard that I'm always going to want to smoke, for life. I don't know how to conceptualize that.

Kevin

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Knuckleslammer said:
Now if Reactors last post isn't some incintive to quit, I don't know what is. May God's grace shine upon you and your family.

I'm on day 2 of quitting. It's not that bad, but I am wondering when I will reach the point where I don't want to smoke anymore. I went a week last year and after the week was up, I was like "well, how come I still want to smoke?"

If I knew this pain would end, I'd have no problem. What scares me is that I've heard that I'm always going to want to smoke, for life. I don't know how to conceptualize that.

Kevin
Good luck, Knuck. Kick those goddam sticks to the curb and *don't* let them back in the house. Ever. This will probably be the biggest challenge to your willpower you'll ever face. Just don't every stick another cig in your face.

Keep up the good work, bro! :thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Knuckleslammer said:

Kevin
For acting so tough you sure are a wussy to the pain cigarettes cause when not having one.