Quantcast

Explicit Lyrics in bike vids....why?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I was just about to buy Ride the Lightening until I looked on the packaging and noticed the "explicit content" sticker. Why do bike vids need explicit content? I already have to mute half of the Kranked 4 urban section when my son is watching it because of that zebra head song.

What value does it add...honestly?

This didn't bother me too much until recently, when I made a big trail gap and my 4 yr old son blurted out an enthusiastic "OH SH$$". I asked him where he heard that and he said that's what the guys on the vids say.

Now, before you go claiming that i'm on some "holier than thou" mission and it doesn't matter, let me ask you first. do you have kids? do you want your kids talking like that in public when they're FOUR? and would it detract from the bike vid experience if the language in the music was relatively clean?

am i just too old fashioned?

oh yeah, and since i don't believe in photo-less threads; here's one of dickiesbike1 taking a soil sample

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
The worst thing about most bike vid soundtracks is how much they SUCK. Theres nothing worse than metal being played over dirt jumping, the tempo doesnt work at all and they end up editing it into a collection of half second clips to keep up with the music. Get earthed, I dont remember anything explicit in there and that way Noah will want to be a racer not hucker. :thumb:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Kids will hear it one way or another. So, IMO, instead of trying to block him from hearing those words, tell him that those are words you just don't say(unless you swear, but i don't think that's the case). Hot sauce alway worked for me though............

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
chicodude01 said:
Kids will hear it one way or another. So, IMO, instead of trying to block him from hearing those words, tell him that those are words you just don't say(unless you swear, but i don't think that's the case). Hot sauce alway worked for me though............
Parents tried that on me, only thing it did was give me a liking for hot sauce, and I still have a foul mouth.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
i think nwd4s explicit content was for the tits in the bc/dc section. but i think that soundtrack rocked exept for that skills song for wade simmons. didnt flow w/ the riding at all. i dont think they need explicit lyrics. theres plenty of good songs out there that dont have cursing in em

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Silver said:
More important is teaching the boy when cursing is acceptable...not around mom or teachers :D
exactly that's what it always boils down to anyways... keep the big people happy....

kids gonna learn about cussin eventually, kids in school are gonna fill him in. Not a big deal, the only real negative thing about cursing anyways beyond the fact that's it's rude and innapropriate in most settings, is that it's a sign of stupidity since you can't find another word that's describes the message your trying to convey. Not to justify but if someones about to crash really bad i find it appropriate.... Not alot of time to search for the right words...
So submit the rules that every parent does to kid, tell him that he can't use the words or he gets the soap. :oink:
Your kids vids are the only freeride videos i watch anyways.... i'd rather just watch a few friends do some stuff in real life anyways or even try a few things myself....

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I'd agree about soundtracks, it's retarded the music they put in videos. I personally don't like the head banging gnar metal. Give me something that can make me relax and want to flow. I'm hyped for your kid, he's a ripper! Nice choice of music for the skinny video, too.

splat

Nam I am
I agree with you Manimal, I don't want my Kids hearing that. And I must say when we have gone to the dirt jumps, most of the guy( and girls ) there do try to watch there mouth when they see him there . ( except the 11 year old who there they are cool bluting obscenities )

I know he is going to learn them, but lets at least try to delay it as long as possible.

Cursing is not of itself inappropriate. You probably wouldn't even notice if one of your buddies said that in reaction to a particular move.

If your son rides, he's going to hear and probably use that language. It is part of the culture. The task for you, should you choose to accept it, is to teach him when and under what circumstances it is appropriate. You might even endeavor to teach him that he'll do better in the world if he never, or almost never, curses.

J

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
yes, he's going th hear it....sometimes even from me. the point is, he watches these vids a lot and it becomes more than the occassional word. garbage in/garbage out. just like how kids pick up the local accent of their parents, if they hear cursing all of the time, it'll start to come out of their mouth...all of the time. he knows that he's not to say those words, but still...does he need the incouragement?
there is enough music out there that fits w/ the riding that doesn't require muting around kids. it's called social responsibility. i guess respect went out the window when tolerance came in.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
man, i've been noticing a lot more cussing on tv lately. i even heard "dick" a few days ago. anywho, doesn't cussing make it more hardcore gnarly?

splat

Nam I am
johnbryanpeters said:
An afterthought:

The only music in a bike video that I have felt verged on the truly offensive was the gerbil song, and I'm not sure about that one.

J
But that is classsic!!!

but that is on a different level actaully having to listen to the lyrics rather , than just blutting out the F word all the time.

dickiesbike1

Monkey
Jun 17, 2002
NC
Thanks for posting that pic manimal, appreciate it!

The content that comes out of my mouth is proportionate to the company i am in. I think that bike videos, which arent inheriently (sp?) offensive shouldnt contain any material that could be considered offensive to the masses...i mean after all, its all about the riding right?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I can understand your concern Manimal as my almost 2yo watches the Collective and Earthed non-stop. But, when he watches the other vids I just throw on more acceptable music for him.

Given the target audience of these vids the soundtracks make sense (I agree most of the music sucks). 4yo's can't buy bikes. Artistic license allows the producers to use whatever music they see fit and consumers can make the choice to buy based on the government mandated labels (explicit lyrics).

I feel that there is zero responsibility by the producers of these videos (or any other art form) to cater to the moral values of others. We were all given brains to allow us to make decisions for ourselves and act accordingly.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
manimal said:
yes, he's going th hear it....sometimes even from me. the point is, he watches these vids a lot and it becomes more than the occassional word. garbage in/garbage out. just like how kids pick up the local accent of their parents, if they hear cursing all of the time, it'll start to come out of their mouth...all of the time. he knows that he's not to say those words, but still...does he need the incouragement?
there is enough music out there that fits w/ the riding that doesn't require muting around kids. it's called social responsibility. i guess respect went out the window when tolerance came in.
You know you're right, he don't need to hear any of that stuff. As a matter of fact i don't need to hear the goddamn ****in horse**** cocksucking ****nut bull**** crap either.... :oink:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
How difficult could it be for the video producers to make a clean version? Doesn't every song allready have a Wal-Mart version where the curse words are bleeped / muted out? They could still use the same soundtrack. :confused:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
berkshire_rider said:
How difficult could it be for the video producers to make a clean version? Doesn't every song allready have a Wal-Mart version where the curse words are bleeped / muted out? They could still use the same soundtrack. :confused:
I'm pretty sure they don't sell enough to start doing that.

Then you have artistic integrity issues...

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
Yeah, i agree its best to keep them in a bubble until they are 11. Kids’ swearing is not a new thing. He is young he is learning new vocabulary everyday, its the part of trial and error of creating your own personal dictionary for yourself. If children didn't try new words in new situations then, well, they would be mute. Remember he has not been alive as long as you have, as obvious as that sounds, it’s sometimes hard to understand. Its not wrong that he said ' oh **** ' it is just that, when he herd it, it was in a situation of dumbfounding and then when presented with a large just (much larger then what he would feel comfortable with) he recalled a phrase or word that was used to express his astonishment. Reinforce proper edict and vocabulary, over putting down phrases or terms which are less then perfect, i believe then when you do that it just confuses the child, let him have and understand the term ‘OH ****’ but don’t shut it down give a better example of it.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I wish they could use less objectionable music in bike videos. For example, I would never buy NWD5 because it contains a ton of f-words (and other pleasantries); my parents wouldn't like me watching it, plus I don't like it, either.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
And for what it's worth, I usually prefer instumental music in videos, but there's plenty of other good songs. Although some of it wasn't the best, I think Jib had a great soundtrack, plus I don't recall a single bad word in the whole video.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
maybe i'll rephrase my question. what does the video gain by having explicit lyrics?

i know and understand that my kids will inevitably hear and speak these kind of words but i don't want to reinforce it by listening to them on bike vids. heck, i laughed my arse off when he said "oh sh##" after the drop, but then i explained to him that there are better choices in words and that he's not allowed to say that at home. he understands but i'm sure he's confused when he hears it all the time on the bike vids.

so a pose a poll: to those of you that are for having the language in the vids, would you like the vids less if it didn't have those words?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
being that using edited songs would be the logical thing to do, it probably costs more to get those versions of the songs for editing purposes.

as for what Tully said, i'd prefer no music in videos. call me crazy, but i like hearing the sounds of the bikes. the only instance where i have thought, "damn, that was badass," was when someone posted a clip that had the beginning of baw-wit-da-baw (Kid Rock song). when KR goes from "kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid, kid rock" to that heavy guitar riff. oh man, that so perfect for the beginning of a video.

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
berkshire_rider said:

"Clean versions" is the work of the devil..

In a country where you can get sued just becouse it's tuesday you better have the bloody sticker even if they just say "fork" becouse some fool will allways be offended..

If you cannot stand to hear a simple cuss.. Your life must be very complicated..

Besides.. curses are just as much english as every other word :P

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Kids or not, some of us don't wanna hear it ourselves........that effects sales. People aren't going to buy a bike video b/c it has explicit music but people will pass on it b/c it does.

zod said:
Kids or not, some of us don't wanna hear it ourselves........that effects sales. People aren't going to buy a bike video b/c it has explicit music but people will pass on it b/c it does.
And the venerated free market will sort that out. The result is obvious.

'Sfunny, I just got an EMS catalog that is in my mind utterly odious due to its attempt to be edgy.

Manimal, keep up the good work.

J

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I always thought that RATM "renegades" album was a aewsome fuse of rap and metal, perfect for biking vids. :thumb:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
manimal said:
I was just about to buy Ride the Lightening until I looked on the packaging and noticed the "explicit content" sticker. Why do bike vids need explicit content? I already have to mute half of the Kranked 4 urban section when my son is watching it because of that zebra head song.

What value does it add...honestly?

This didn't bother me too much until recently, when I made a big trail gap and my 4 yr old son blurted out an enthusiastic "OH SH$$". I asked him where he heard that and he said that's what the guys on the vids say.

Now, before you go claiming that i'm on some "holier than thou" mission and it doesn't matter, let me ask you first. do you have kids? do you want your kids talking like that in public when they're FOUR? and would it detract from the bike vid experience if the language in the music was relatively clean?

am i just too old fashioned?

oh yeah, and since i don't believe in photo-less threads; here's one of dickiesbike1 taking a soil sample
Unless you keep ypur kids locked up inside all the time they're going to hear that stuff anyway. They learn to talk that way in school.LOL just explain to them that the music in those vids sucks and it's not cool to imitate it. IMO swearing is perfectly valid language to use, but only at certain times. Kids can watch things like that and still have the sense no to go speaking like that in public.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
no disagree, my parents always let me swear when i was little, and its a permanent reaction. howd you like to be the kid in the gym to open the exam and read the first page and have their imediate reaction be.

"**** ME!"

yeah, well that was me, so i wouldnt let your kids do it, put a stop to it.

Softy

Monkey
Apr 22, 2003
Don't call it a come back
Are you a commie Mannimal ? You don't trust the United States Goverment ?

The policy the the USA takes is that if the curse word is integral to the song then it is not offensive.

Are you questioning the logic of the the US of A. ? After all it's decisions are guided by the hand of God .

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Softy said:
Are you a commie Mannimal ? You don't trust the United States Goverment ?

The policy the the USA takes is that if the curse word is integral to the song then it is not offensive.

Are you questioning the logic of the the US of A. ? After all it's decisions are guided by the hand of God .
your sarcasm is ambiguous. and God was taken out of the government years ago.

JMAC - how many kids do you have? since you seem to understand their psychy so well.

the argument here is not whether swearing is right or wrong, i'm a cop and a former marine...do you think that i don't use that language when trying to get through to people who don't speak anything else? there is a time and place. the problem with saturating little ears with it is that they don't understand the discernment of when to use it. they grow up believing that it's ok for everyday conversations. it's fine for the streets but i'm trying to raise productive and respectful kids (excuse me for trying to be a responsible parent) and unfortunately, "please and thank you" don't mix with "fu#$face!"

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
All that I'm gonna say is that in some songs one or two words might be needed to make it make sense, but too many is too many. And in a bike video too many of those songs with too many of those words is just too many.... right? Hopefully NWD6 has a good soundtrack.

Softy

Monkey
Apr 22, 2003
Don't call it a come back
manimal said:
your sarcasm is ambiguous. and God was taken out of the government years ago.

JMAC - how many kids do you have? since you seem to understand their psychy so well.

the argument here is not whether swearing is right or wrong, i'm a cop and a former marine...do you think that i don't use that language when trying to get through to people who don't speak anything else? there is a time and place. the problem with saturating little ears with it is that they don't understand the discernment of when to use it. they grow up believing that it's ok for everyday conversations. it's fine for the streets but i'm trying to raise productive and respectful kids (excuse me for trying to be a responsible parent) and unfortunately, "please and thank you" don't mix with "fu#$face!"
So you are able to use harsh language in the appropriate manner ? Wow I'm amazed. You enforce the law with using of language not found in dictionarys or law books. How is this possible ? Who taught you , you get more respect to your authority by using bad words?

You are a hypocrite for one and a bad parent for not censoring viewing and listening content of your 4 year old.

Why don't you sue the movie makers and musicians and the producers and the publishers for influencing YOU to use bad language in everyday life. It's your descision to say " You are under arrest fu%&face" .Don't go and blame Dirty Harry next time you shoot someone either. All you goverment types are the same always trying to push your morallity on the public. Well FO , and we will consider your actions not your words , because what you say is full of $HIT. :eviltongu

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
zod said:
I'm with ya there.

And I second "Renegades of Funk."