Quantcast

fair warning.....

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
bring the pain. bring. the. pain. they deserve worse and then some. get some ANONYMOUS, you have the power to be the end-all be-all of these lowlife fvcks.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
On one hand, I just think, "What is the Internet going to do to a bunch of retarded, inbred rednecks? They probably can't turn a computer on."

But then again, Westboro's like 15 people, right? They live entirely off media and Internet propaganda... Maybe this could suck for them.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
As detestable as Westboro is, what's the difference between Anonymous and a street gang?
A street gang will try and shoot you. Anonymous will ruin you in every imaginable way. Personally, financially, all credibility, etc.

These people associated with the "church" won't even be able to buy a pack of gum with the "church" credit card.

Anonymous is not out to silence this group by killing them, they are going after every means available to help this "church" make trips to funerals and to get their disgusting message out.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Case in point, look what they did to HBGary.
:rofl: @ HBGary. Those guys got f**ked from every direction. Security firm's servers broken into during negotiations to be sold (gosh, how's that investment looking now, buyer?), passwords for all of the top management compromised, emails released and seeded all over Bittorrent, exposing all manner of ineptitude and secret dealings...

There was an article on Ars about this Westboro thing yesterday. The initial message was trolling and possibly posted by Westboro themselves:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/02/empty-suit-the-chaotic-way-that-anonymous-makes-decisions.ars

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
:rofl: @ HBGary. Those guys got f**ked from every direction. Security firm's servers broken into during negotiations to be sold (gosh, how's that investment looking now, buyer?), passwords for all of the top management compromised, emails released and seeded all over Bittorrent, exposing all manner of ineptitude and secret dealings...

There was an article on Ars about this Westboro thing yesterday. The initial message was trolling and possibly posted by Westboro themselves:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/02/empty-suit-the-chaotic-way-that-anonymous-makes-decisions.ars
"West Derpish Derp Church."

:rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This first message was fake... Westboro church created it and then they responded.... Their plan was to incite a DDOS attack to collect IP's....

See here: http://anonnews.org/?p=press&a=item&i=494
my question is... are they really that stupid? anon hacked the fvck out of a INTERNET SECURITY COMPANY. Does westboro really think they could outsmart them? and succeed where an internet security company failed?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
my question is... are they really that stupid? anon hacked the fvck out of a INTERNET SECURITY COMPANY. Does westboro really think they could outsmart them? and succeed where an internet security company failed?
The point is it didn't matter. Westboro doesn't care. Publicity is publicity and they are thriving on it, and all it would take is one dumbass who didn't mask his IP right to get a lawsuit started and generate more capital for them.

Westboro probably underestimated the sheer amount of damage that a group of dedicated hackers like that can do to an organization but for the most part, they weren't trying to "win" - they were trying to create notoriety. And here we are, talking about it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Westboro probably underestimated the sheer amount of damage that a group of dedicated hackers like that can do to an organization but for the most part, they weren't trying to "win" - they were trying to create notoriety. And here we are, talking about it.
all the notoriety in the world wouldn't mean jack after their entire life's "work" gets destroyed and sh*t on by a bunch of teenagers and they're left with nothing. they would simply be remembered as just another bible fueled hate machine that was taken out by a group of what is essentially nothing more than juvenile pranksters. for as big of trolls as westboro are, they have absolutely no idea what they would be dealing with if anonymous were to actually have a go at them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Tall it would take is one dumbass who didn't mask his IP right to get a lawsuit started and generate more capital for them.
how much capital do you think they could realistically get from a single anonymous member?

if they got one person, hell even a dozen, do you think that would really be enough to stop any actions from the group as a whole?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
all the notoriety in the world wouldn't mean jack after their entire life's "work" gets destroyed and sh*t on by a bunch of teenagers and they're left with nothing.
How do you expect there "life's 'work'" would be destroyed? They are a group whose sole purpose is to create friction and animosity. That can't be deleted off a computer.

Like I said, I think Westboro underestimates exactly what would happen should a group this big give them some focus, but the reality is that even the worst case scenario isn't really the end of the world for them.

how much capital do you think they could realistically get from a single anonymous member?

if they got one person, hell even a dozen, do you think that would really be enough to stop any actions from the group as a whole?
They wouldn't get much, but it all adds up. And again, it's not about stopping actions. You're missing the point: Westboro does not want people to stop attacking them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
How do you expect there "life's 'work'" would be destroyed? They are a group whose sole purpose is to create friction and animosity. That can't be deleted off a computer.

Like I said, I think Westboro underestimates exactly what would happen should a group this big give them some focus, but the reality is that even the worst case scenario isn't really the end of the world for them.
the only animosity they've managed to create is against themselves. once they disappear, so does that anger.

also, anon is VERY capable of functioning offline.

They wouldn't get much, but it all adds up.
law of diminishing returns applies here. sure, they might be able to track a few people down here and there, but for what they would spend doing so and in turn prosecuting these individuals, the returns just aren't there. they'd be pissing away money. sure they'd be getting publicity, but that would run out when their money does. once they can't afford to interject themselves into the spotlight, they drop off the radar.

You're missing the point: Westboro does not want people to stop attacking them.
they don't want people to stop attacking them because they're trolls. trolls who, as of yet, have not been out trolled. and they're provoking the one group who can.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
they don't want people to stop attacking them because they're trolls. trolls who, as of yet, have not been out trolled. and they're provoking the one group who can.
:stupid:

The "church" is nothing more than a place for jackasses to hang out, just like 4chn/anon. But unlike the church goers, the trolls have NOTHING better to do.

Yes, a little bad publicity might seem like a good idea. But if the actual members of the church get attacked (as I would assume they will be) they will question what is of value.

Going to a funeral of a fallen soldier to protest, or change my bank/credit/personal info because it's all been publicized and/or compromised. And done so to the point that they have no time to go to church or a funeral because they are busy doing damage control.

Yes, SOME of the church goers may not care, but they will at least question their own values.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Huh.........

I just went to do my nightly check in with hateful jesus at gawdhaitzfagz dot com, for my dreamly wisdom and good newz™ and I can't seem to pull up the site.

Strange. But that's how the gawd™ works I suppose.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Huh.........

I just went to do my nightly check in with hateful jesus at gawdhaitzfagz dot com, for my dreamly wisdom and good newz™ and I can't seem to pull up the site.

Strange. But that's how the gawd™ works I suppose.
i guess even gawd™ has trouble with nameservers

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Interesting tidbit in the comments on that page:
Re-quoting from BoingBoing

OK, for those who don't know, here's how the WBC scam works:

Most of Fred Phelps' 13 adult children are lawyers, with law degrees from Washburn University in Topeka, KS. Those that are still in the church practice in the family law firm, Phelps Chartered, LLC. Phelps himself had been disbarred in 1979 for perjury, but his children carried on the law firm. Over 20 years ago, they discovered that if they picketed AIDS funerals in Kansas, distraught loved ones would lose control, and physically attack the WBC protestors. They sued, and won. Sensing a major income stream, they started protesting full-time, hoping to be attacked.

They started picketing full-time at museum exhibits, college graduations, poetry readings, rock concerts, celebrity funerals, and, of course, AIDS funerals? anywhere they could use free speech to get people to attack them.

When soldiers started coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan in body bags, they hit paydirt: Protest near (not at) funerals of soldiers, blaming America's decline on "****," and wait for the attacks.

They raise at least $200,000 a year doing this, and probably more. They fund the picketing business with lawsuits.

There is always a family lawyer at every protest. Every protest is videotaped, so they have rock-solid evidence when attacked. They target the highest-profile events they can, and make sure the media knows they are coming, so people are all riled up. They always protest on public property, sidewalks, and rights-of-way, so that they can't be charged with trespassing. If there's a legally-imposed "no protest zone" around funerals, they obey it. They are very clever to stay within the letter of the law.

And angry people fall for it, all the time. And the media never bothers to investigate how this scam works.

BoingBoing