Quantcast

favorite dh magazine

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Defenitly mountain bike action. Tip of the year: Use dirt as a seat post lubricant in times of emergency.

I cant get dirtmag and the only tolerable magazines on the stands are decline and bike.

Nov 9, 2005
yea decline or dirt here too but dirt only has 6 issues a year. how many does decline have? i ask because im getting a subscription to a magazine of my choice i just am no sure which one.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
How 'bout Dirt and Decline? Personally I would get Dirt, but both are good for different reasons.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Adam Novatt said:
bike are so damb boring they have all this crap about out history of bikes you gives
I like Bike. Decline is cool too because they cover only the downhill stuff. I guess Dirt is good too.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
i kinda like the pics and products in the mags not so much the stories, but trevor get decline has more issue. but dirt is just such a good mag

Reptile

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Colorado
are superior in every way to the american mags.

Dirt, Mountain Biking World, Mountain Bike Rider, etc -

Better stories, gear tests, rider profiles, photos.

Of the American mags, none of which I would recommend with enthusiasm:

Bike is OK, particularly for photography.
Decline is a joke - they should call it "Vogue for Downhillers". Mountain Biking Action is worse - basically one big advertorial.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
bike,decline,dirt,mountain bike action is getting beter, try searching we talked about this before

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well I got like 3 years worth of MBA (mountain bike action) and as of lately the only thing it's good for is what is on sale this month. The articles are too one-sided towards bikes of their choice and the people writting them don't seem like they have it all there.

I got 1 issue of DIRT and loved it. Better pictures, articles and everything else. Even if I can't buy anything from it because everything is in europe currency it's still better. I like DIRT, but kinda pricy at the news-stands.

Decline is next on my list. If they sell 12 month subscriptions I might try it. I'm tired of MBA that is for sure. They come on time and such but some month's it's thick (meaning full of KHS/Azonic whatever product catalogs) which suck, or it's thin with no content (like this months). I think Decline or DIRT is the way to go.

I just looked up Decline, 12 issues is $39.99 and 2 years worth is $59.99. That comes out to be.......$3.33 per issue on the 1 year and $2.49 per issue for the 2 year. So for you penny pinchers 2 years is a better value :) I never realized how pricy Decline is. I guess I'm use to the $19.99 for a year and $29.99 or whatever it was for 2 years.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Spunger said:
I just looked up Decline, 12 issues is $39.99 and 2 years worth is $59.99. That comes out to be.......$3.33 per issue on the 1 year and $2.49 per issue for the 2 year. So for you penny pinchers 2 years is a better value :) I never realized how pricy Decline is. I guess I'm use to the $19.99 for a year and $29.99 or whatever it was for 2 years.
that is IF you get your issues...I'm going on my 3rd month without an issue. Needless to say I probably will not renew my subscription once it expires... This is not the first time some issues are going missing - which is unacceptable. I've had a Dirt (UK) subscription for like 5+ years not and NEVER missed one issue.

I called them about it – but its like customers are a thorn in their side! WTF. Sorry, I usually don’t bitch about things like these…but I’m pretty bitter about having not received the past few issues…

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Acadian said:
that is IF you get your issues...I'm going on my 3rd month without an issue. Needless to say I probably will not renew my subscription once it expires... This is not the first time some issues are going missing - which is unacceptable. I've had a Dirt (UK) subscription for like 5+ years not and NEVER missed one issue.
I hear ya. At the price that Decline and Dirt charge I'd be pissed too not getting an issue, but missing months in a row is way off. Are others having the same problem with Decline not getting to their mail boxes?

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
I personally like Decline and Dirt. Dirt might get the nod, because the advertising models have see-through tops in some instances. Bike is good, but so short.

decline is on the decline, when it first came out it was pritty good, but they seem to cover Dh/Freeride less and less with more ads every month, and its getting thinner and thinner all the time, it would be really cool if Dirt would make a U.S. based mag thats on par with the one from the UK, that would be the best.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
After seven years subscribing to Bike, it just got to be too predictable. That, and it's kinda small. The writing and photography is great, and anyone who hasn't seen almost every issue for a long time will enjoy reading it.

Dirt is awesome. It's got great writing and good photography. I am a fan of quality of quantity, so I'd subscribe to Dirt, even with the 6 issue thing. Dirt is the Dig of the MTB world as far as I'm concerned. Good stuff.

Decline has good and very creative writing, but I can't help but notice how many articles are complaining about things. It's good to complain to campaign a change, but after awhile I just got fed up with the bitching. Photos are great, there is a ton of domestic coverage, and it's hilarious. Subscribe to Dirt, then read Decline in Safeway. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Anyone else read Solobici? It's got very few articles about anything besides the latest-greatest-lightest-sickest-fastest, but they have a couple good race shots in every issue and it's all in Spanish. Great practice for all us non-native speakers!

MarsB

Chimp
Aug 17, 2005
Morgantown WV
Decline and DirtRag. DirtRag doesn't feature much DH, but it is still one of the best written and least biased of the mountain bike mags.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Every dh magazine out there has issues... (hehe...he)

The writers of Dirt Magazine have a very strange writing style. I never knew how different American and British English were until I started reading Dirt. I find myself having to read articles multiple times before I understand certain comments. The product reviewers also seem very uninformed. I find that only half of the magazine is worth reading. $34 for a subscription that comes every other month is not worth it.

There are a few things that I dislike about Decline. Some of the articles make you feel as if you have to be an insider to understand them. Also, there is way too much complaining and negativity.

I do appreciate how Decline appears to go a little more in-depth with the reviews than other magazines. I also like the artsy feel and the quality of the pages.

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
The UK mags are good, but I get annoyed at the prices, why can't they use US currency? WTF is wrong with that? ;)

Really, it is just annoying because I get confused with the different way their money is set up.

Jan 12, 2005
Lancashire (U.K)
Bobby Peru said:
The UK mags are good, but I get annoyed at the prices, why can't they use US currency? WTF is wrong with that? ;)

Really, it is just annoying because I get confused with the different way their money is set up.

We also spell colour wrong as well. Bummer

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Order:
Dirt
Decline
Dirt Rag (only last because they don't recognize DH & Freeride as legit, too stuck on trails,xc,ss... best writing. best format)

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
I second the MBUK... but it is damn expensive. Their reviews are much more objective than MBA, in my opinion. A few issues back they had Cedric G as guest editor... good stuff.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
stiksandstones said:
Best mag is MBUK-hands down.
This "stick-man," he knows his stuff.

Decline is good,but very casual. Nothing wrong with that, long as you're in the mood. The reviews still seem very wishywashy though, I never really see them slam the crap out of something, no matter how deserved it is.

Dirt is the ****, hands down. But for gear, half the time i have no clue what the hell they are getting at. They are very vague. That said, nobody understands DH like they do, and I applaud them for calling street the stupid fad that it is.

Mountain bike is surprisingly entertaining for me, considering its about 12 pages an only appears on the second tuesday of a sabretooth hamsters period. They do seem to write some good stuff though, and they seem to call fluff for what it is.

I don't read dirtrag. Perhaps one day I'll get into chicks without shaved armpits, and Dirtrag will be the one for me.

MBA is hands down the biggest backalley abortion stain of a magazine I've ever seen. It actually prompted me to write about it on DM. They are so blatantly ridiculous that I'm no longer allowed to buy the magazine, cause i yell at it and throw it. I mean, god forbid a bike doesn't have a platform shock, VPP or FSR and at least 7 different knobs on your bar to control shock lockout, ot it'd be completely unridable!

I will miss you Modest bike.

No, I think the best is MBUK for sure. Great articles, decent pics, wide range of topics, and excellent and HONEST gear reviews. I have never once read something and had a skeptical response, which is a first for anything. They do a damn fine job AND the mag comes with free junk every issue! How can you go wrong?