Quantcast

Finally news from WIM.....

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
MUTOLI said:
The problem we had with doing the Oregon races was that practice is on Friday. If they changed it to Saturday practice and race Sunday...you would see more of Ethan and I for sure! We don't want to only get a couple practice runs in and then have to race the same day....
That is the one thing that sucks about the Hood races. I believe the reason he has it set up that way is because the cross country race is on sunday, there are more of them, so therefor they = more money and the schedule is tailored to that. I'm pretty sure thats the reason, but some e-mails asking for a more concrete answer couldn't hurt. As long as I've raced up there though, the schedule has always been that way.

Joy, are you going to be able to come to any of them???

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
DH Diva said:
That is the one thing that sucks about the Hood races. I believe the reason he has it set up that way is because the cross country race is on sunday, there are more of them, so therefor they = more money and the schedule is tailored to that.
So there is pretty good turn out for the XC races?

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
DH Diva said:
That is the one thing that sucks about the Hood races. I believe the reason he has it set up that way is because the cross country race is on sunday, there are more of them, so therefor they = more money and the schedule is tailored to that. I'm pretty sure thats the reason, but some e-mails asking for a more concrete answer couldn't hurt. As long as I've raced up there though, the schedule has always been that way.

Joy, are you going to be able to come to any of them???
We will try. I might be able to get some of my team to come as well if it was a Sat/Sun event! It's too bad they can't change it around and have XC race Sat.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
oly said:
True, that is a drawback. Maybe with some e-mails they could be pursuaded to change that. When we raced the final Peter there had a questionaire and that was one of the q's. Maybe sat/sunday could bring more seattle riders down.
Ethan sent out an email I believe last night regarding this issue, and also giving them the schedule for WIM.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Good buy WIM. Maybe they should rename to SIM Spokane - Idaho - Montana. This is not good but there must be some positive opportunity here somewhere. :think: :think:

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
MUTOLI said:
Ethan sent out an email I believe last night regarding this issue, and also giving them the schedule for WIM.
Could you or somebody post that e-mail link so others can express their need for a different practice day/time. If that can be resolved then you can count me in for races down south too. :thumb:

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
evilbob said:
Good buy WIM. Maybe they should rename to SIM Spokane - Idaho - Montana. This is not good but there must be some positive opportunity here somewhere. :think: :think:
As much as I hate to say it, I honestly didn't think there would even be a series after hearing Group Health pulled out! I just hope that another sponsor will come along and help WIM so we can look forward to the following year maybe!!! :confused:

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
evilbob said:
Could you or somebody post that e-mail link so others can express their need for a different practice day/time. If that can be resolved then you can count me in for races down south too. :thumb:
Let me get back to you on that. I need to find out who he emailed for sure.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
One thing to add about hood. the course doesnt change. So one you know it (a few weekends "freeriding" i dont think theres as much of a need for the full practice. I know its ideal, but ill still go even if its unchanged.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
oly said:
Driving distance:

Olympia to kellogg : Total Est. Time: 6 hours, 6 minutes Total Est. Distance: 389.19 miles

Seattle to Kellogg : Total Est. Time: 5 hours, 21 minutes Total Est. Distance: 347.99 miles

Oly to Spokane : Total Est. Time: 5 hours, 3 minutes Total Est. Distance: 320.24 miles

Seattle to spokane : Total Est. Time: 4 hours, 18 minutes Total Est. Distance: 279.04 miles

Olympia to Hood (Govy) : Total Est. Time: 2 hours, 55 minutes Total Est. Distance: 162.27 miles

Seattle to Hood : Total Est. Time: 3 hours, 54 minutes Total Est. Distance: 221.63 miles

These are standard searches from Mapquest. Im sure the figure following speed limits in these times, so if your a lead foot you can shave a little off.....

You forgot a couple

Seattle to Whistler : 4 hours 39 mins - 221 Miles

Seattle to North Vancouver : 2 hours 51 mins - 150 Miles

The only drawback is that you can't decide that the stuff the locals build is to hard and dumb it down to your liking. They might kill you. ;)

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
brock said:
You forgot a couple

Seattle to Whistler : 4 hours 39 mins - 221 Miles

Seattle to North Vancouver : 2 hours 51 mins - 150 Miles

The only drawback is that you can't decide that the stuff the locals build is to hard and dumb it down to your liking. They might kill you. ;)
HAHA... i did think of those, just forgot to follow through...

PS, we did Olympia to whistler in 5hours.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
f@ck WIM! I will be racing either some or both: hood or BC cups.

might have fri and sat off, so the hood races might be perfect

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
MUTOLI said:
The problem we had with doing the Oregon races was that practice is on Friday. If they changed it to Saturday practice and race Sunday...you would see more of Ethan and I for sure! We don't want to only get a couple practice runs in and then have to race the same day....
Freak and I haven't been to any Oregon races yet and are definitely interested in hitting some next season, but the practice Fri/race Sat would definitely put a damper on that though :(

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
NineFingers said:
Does hood run the lifts like Whistler all summer? How are the lines? Any bike parks? THe less I have to drive the better. And I never seem to make it to Whistler in under 5...

Ski bowl has been open for years. Its not like whistler though, its all natural terrain, hardly any built features. Lines? Um... no... the chairs are slow doubles. Its real old school feeling. . I'd say go down and ride there for the day, and also try to do the trail from the top of GOVY down to welches.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
NineFingers said:
Does hood run the lifts like Whistler all summer? How are the lines? Any bike parks? THe less I have to drive the better. And I never seem to make it to Whistler in under 5...

Pretty much nothing like Whistler. No high speed quad. No lines. No throngs of beautiful women. The trails are fun though. You just have to sit on the chair for 45 min to get up to the top. If your down in the P'Land area, it's worth checking out.

Sounds good to me, it's that much closer! Sounds like it's similar to how snoqualmie was...Whistler's tight, but not an everyday weekend kind of place...The boarder, the long drive, the pricey ritzy stuff, as well as some of the attitudes at Whister are kind of turn off's. I'm down for the old days of snoqualmie, why can't crystal run their sh!t!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Tully said:
It's Oregon for me! Where are the Oregon races, and how far are those places from the Seattle area?

There is also a race at Willamette Pass. It's a bit of a haul, but it is supposed to be everything a race should be.
A killer course and high speed lifts.

toughguymagee

Pretty Boi
Jun 1, 2002
crackhouse down the street
I guess we could all see it coming. WIM has been going downhill, no pun intended, for the past few years and it seems as if they have officially made their statement on how they feel about Western Washington riders and downhillers in general.

I am up for riding Hood and BC races. More than likely, I will only race a few nationals but focus more on just riding. Seems more of a good time going to Whistler or hitting some local trails with friends/family.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
PsychO!1 said:
Hahahahah.....They love it when a bunch of Washintonians come down and kick ass!!!

Many past Oregon State Champions resided in Washington. :-)
Hey now! I own several of those past Oregon State Championships mister!! You best be given the Oregon Monkies some love! ;)

DH Diva said:
Hey now! I own several of those past Oregon State Championships mister!! You best be given the Oregon Monkies some love! ;)
Ohhh...it's all good. I spent a good portion of the 90's racing at Skibowl. We always had a good rivalry with the locals. Oregon peeps we're always cool and freindly, they took us in as their own. Sooo, I have lot's of love for our freinds to the south. :love:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
PsychO!1 said:
Ohhh...it's all good. I spent a good portion of the 90's racing at Skibowl. We always had a good rivalry with the locals. Oregon peeps we're always cool and freindly, they took us in as their own. Sooo, I have lot's of love for our freinds to the south. :love:
I'm just giving you a hard time. You've probably been racing at hood long enought to remember peter before his accent became at all understandable! It will be good to see some of the old crowd hitting up the bowl again! Someone earlier mentioned it taking 45min to get up to the top?? I swear it's only like 15. Do you remember?

DH Diva said:
I'm just giving you a hard time. You've probably been racing at hood long enought to remember peter before his accent became at all understandable! It will be good to see some of the old crowd hitting up the bowl again! Someone earlier mentioned it taking 45min to get up to the top?? I swear it's only like 15. Do you remember?
I remember the first lift ride about 10 min, second lift to the top about 5 min. So yeah, about 15-20 minutes. But it's also a good 6 minute run to the bottom!!!

After riding the high speed lifts at Whistler.....Skibowl would seem like 45 minute lift ride. hahahahaha.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
DH Diva said:
! Someone earlier mentioned it taking 45min to get up to the top?? I swear it's only like 15. Do you remember?
I'm exagerating a bit. I was hung over and remember falling asleep on the lift at least twice.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I suppose a spokane series is better than no series. Good luck to the WIM people and I hope they actually have more fun and make some money next year.

The BC cup at mission this year was only 1.5 hours away from bellingham... Maybe they'll have races there in the future?

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
PsychO!1 said:
Ohhh...it's all good. I spent a good portion of the 90's racing at Skibowl.
I also remember people bitching about the course being the same year in, year out. Got a little old when they were doing 5-6 races a year. I hope Petre can find a way to get some different things built or you'll have a contingent of WA riders complaining after a couple of races.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
trailhacker said:
I also remember people bitching about the course being the same year in, year out. Got a little old when they were doing 5-6 races a year. I hope Petre can find a way to get some different things built or you'll have a contingent of WA riders complaining after a couple of races.
Kev, last word I got from Peter is that due to forest service regulations, he is only allowed one course per year (well, one for expert/pro and one for beg/sport). But, the first race of the season is an endurance downhill on the dog river trail and not at ski bowl. And often times, by the second race (T & E I think) the mountain is still snowed in so they have it either at an area down the road (some new spiffy riding area locals have built) or what they did a couple of years ago is started up at the top of the first lift and did two short course runs (combined times) down the expert jeep road to woods section and one down the sport lower section (firehydrant). So it does get mixed up a bit, but 3-4 races could be on the same course. The courses he has been making lately are tough enough that you never truely master them, and they don't tend to get as boring as some of the courses can. If he's going to pull off 5-7 races I would hope he would try and mix it up a little.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
DH Diva said:
Kev, last word I got from Peter is that due to forest service regulations, he is only allowed one course per year (well, one for expert/pro and one for beg/sport). But, the first race of the season is an endurance downhill on the dog river trail and not at ski bowl.
That stuff sounds good. IS the enduro something thats happened before? What type of bike is best?

speedbump

Chimp
Mar 27, 2003
Methow Valley, WA
The best part about the new WIM schedule and the sure to follow reduced participation by the westside downhillers is maybe we'll finally quit hearing so much about how R&R doesn't like downhillers. By the logic being used (few DH events = no love for DH), we can conclude that R & R must really, really hate track racers and bmx because they won't travel across the state to promote events in those discliplines. Their business is race promotion and it is just that, a business. The schedule has always been a product of the costs and revenues they faced at various sites. They have simply decided to focus on higher return on investment sites.

Where's the outrage from the XC crowd? That schedule is about half of what it used to be.