Quantcast

Flat Pedals for a clipless geek

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Am I the only one who finds the Burgtec pedals excessively thick and bulky? If I'm buying a boutique pedal I want something thin and svelte ala Po1nt, Canfield, or Twenty6. Not to mention they are significantly heavier than any of the competition.

pencil_sr

Chimp
Feb 2, 2010
Utah
What do you guys think about the crank brothers mallet pedals. I am interested in them because sometimes I like to clip in when part of the trail is a little smoother and flowy, but when things get sketchy i like to be able to have a flat pedal to ride.

Anyone used them?
Opinions?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
A clipless pedal is a clipless pedal. Even with a platform the won't give you great support because of the clip in mechanism. I tried it with atomlab clipless because the build suggested like they could be used booth ways but it was a failure. Simply get 2 sets of pedals. I'm pretty sure there are pedally tracks around here where clipless will give me an advantage.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
What do you guys think about the crank brothers mallet pedals. I am interested in them because sometimes I like to clip in when part of the trail is a little smoother and flowy, but when things get sketchy i like to be able to have a flat pedal to ride.

Anyone used them?
Opinions?
The Mallets may take on a new life when combined with the sticky rubbered Minnarr shoe from 5.10. You'll still have a metal cleat impeding a full on flat pedal feel, but at the same time, riding on the arch of your foot on a tacky soled 5.10 clipless may give you more feel and grip than other flat soled clipless shoes.

The 661, Lake, Shimano & Vans shoes all have a fairly rigid outsole. They're nice and flush with the pedal platform to give you something to stand on until you can clip back in. The Minnarr combined with the Mallet's flat pedal style pins may give you grip when unclipped. Time will tell.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The Mallets may take on a new life when combined with the sticky rubbered Minnarr shoe from 5.10. You'll still have a metal cleat impeding a full on flat pedal feel, but at the same time, riding on the arch of your foot on a tacky soled 5.10 clipless may give you more feel and grip than other flat soled clipless shoes.

The 661, Lake, Shimano & Vans shoes all have a fairly rigid outsole. They're nice and flush with the pedal platform to give you something to stand on until you can clip back in. The Minnarr combined with the Mallet's flat pedal style pins may give you grip when unclipped. Time will tell.
Speaking of Time... :rolleyes: I ride the Mallet with the Time DXZ DH shoe (http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218747).

The sole is very stiff, so it can be run for AM and even cold weather XC if you're so inclined. And yet, the rubber outsole tread is very deep, meaning that when I unclip, I still get decent purchase on the pedal (though in no way does it compare to a proper flat with 5.10s [btw I have 5.10 freeriders and the Specialized flats, which is a pretty good combo])

I find the mallet to be a poorly built pedal. I can't quite explain it, but something about them seems cheap when compared to my old Time Z pedals. The pins have been ground down, and the cleat material is very soft and wears out quickly. But performance is good when all the bits that contact each other are new.

After going back and forth a few times, I prefer "platform clipless" pedals to full on flats (even with the 5.10s). I like the amount of float in the Crank Bros and Time pedals, and find that I can float through chunder much easier than with flats (& 5.10s). With flats, I don't like having to completely lift my foot off the pedal to adjust its position, and yet, not have the ability to pull up on the pedals to jump and pedal.

So to answer the question about the CB Mallet's, I think it depends on your biases and preference, but they are a very viable option. Especially when paired with the right shoe. And I can vouch for the Time DXZ working well with them. Looks like the new Minaar could work well with them too.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

I rode my atomlabs with extended pins (yes clipless with pins!) and spd modified 5.10s (don't ask) and it still was strange to feel tech clip mech below. Also sometimes you can clip in accidentaly. Belive me I tried everything before deciding to go flat ;)

btw. I've ordered a set of wah wah's because I found a deal for a set of new ones for 30$. Hard to beat that.