Quantcast

Flax Seed Brainwashing

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Hey TN,
Don't you have Crohn's? And if so, do you control it with diet?

Yeah & yeah sorta.
I just dont eat the things that give me flare-ups. I don't eat hardly any processed foods & can't handle much dairy & have to watch out for foods high in animal fat (hard aged cheeses mostly). If I splurge I pay for it.

I have read (well skimmed) breaking the Vicious Cycle & have been intrigued with the SCD diet but I just can't commit. Maybe if my crohn's was worse I would try it.

Basically if I am not flaring I have to try & consume as many calories as possible so I can keep my weight on, which is a constant struggle especially since I like to eat healthy.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
things we only eat:

grass fed beef(bought a quarter cow last year)
free range organic chicken
farmers market eggs
NO HFCS
pretty much all of our produce is from here:

http://www.theabsoluteorganics.com/

Everything we cannot purchase from the farmers market(rice, pasta etc) we'll purchase from earth fare or another whole foods market. grocery bill is like 200 a week but whatever.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Hey TN,
Don't you have Crohn's? And if so, do you control it with diet?
I recently put myself on the Special Carbohydrate Diet aka the SCD Diet.
Its not some fad diet to lose weight, but its a very specific diet to heal stomach conditions. QUOTE]

I have a friend who suffers from IBS and found out she was a big milk drinker and that she was drinking milk to "coat her stomach" I sent her this link...
http://www.notmilk.com/

3 weeks...no milk..no stomach problems. I saw that the other diet you mentioned included milk which made me think of the notmilk site...they have a Crohns listing there.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Milk in all forms is absolute rubbish. Cheese, yogurt, all of it is crap. I suffered from years and years of sinus infections and endless gas. I use to go through a 1/2 gallon a day. Colds would last 8 weeks. I stopped Milk and I never get sick and never have sinus issues. Cows milk is for cows. You don't drink cats milk now do you?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I saw the Cro Mags in the late 80s in Chicago. I was the skinny long haired kid in the crowd, one of a few dozen. Before the show a fight broke out between skins and sharps and it was brutal! Jeezus ... I just wanted out of there.

ps: I like milk !

Last edited:
Milk in all forms is absolute rubbish. Cheese, yogurt, all of it is crap. I suffered from years and years of sinus infections and endless gas. I use to go through a 1/2 gallon a day. Colds would last 8 weeks. I stopped Milk and I never get sick and never have sinus issues. Cows milk is for cows. You don't drink cats milk now do you?
Did the mental issues arrive about when the physical ones abated?

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
hook a brotha up? its really hard to find here in Jersey.
You can get Coke made with beet sugar (probably not in glass bottles though) from a Jewish/Kosher deli/shop. Especially around Passover. Surely there are some Jews in Jersey.

They did it with Pepsi too. I wish they kept it around.
It's back again. You should be able to find it. They changed the label though.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Milk in all forms is absolute rubbish. Cheese, yogurt, all of it is crap. I suffered from years and years of sinus infections and endless gas. I use to go through a 1/2 gallon a day. Colds would last 8 weeks. I stopped Milk and I never get sick and never have sinus issues.
I thought it was because of the vitamin D? You know that milk is fortified with Vitamin D, right? :confused:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yeah & yeah sorta.
I just dont eat the things that give me flare-ups. I don't eat hardly any processed foods & can't handle much dairy & have to watch out for foods high in animal fat (hard aged cheeses mostly). If I splurge I pay for it.

I have read (well skimmed) breaking the Vicious Cycle & have been intrigued with the SCD diet but I just can't commit. Maybe if my crohn's was worse I would try it.

Basically if I am not flaring I have to try & consume as many calories as possible so I can keep my weight on, which is a constant struggle especially since I like to eat healthy.
I hear ya.
With Diverticulitis, I have zero day to day symptoms. I can eat anything I want. Then about once a year, out of nowhere, I get a bad stomach infection, brutal pain, high fever, and chills where I shake all night. The only treatment is super strong antibiotics that make you feel like a super turd.
Considering that diverticulitis does not even exist in non industrialized countries, I was willing to make a drastic diet change to see if I can prevent it.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I can eat anything I want with no problems.

Proof?

The day after a white castle meal I will still drop a good solid log that sinks to the bottom like a brick.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC

My wife has several friends that recently gave birth and are lactating...raisan bran never tasted so good!! ;) :weee:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Flax Seed Brainwashing...

...didn't Robert Fripp replace Adrian Belew as their lead guitarist back in 89'?
wow, rep spread for the deep pull.

This thread cracks me up. The OP reminds me of when KFC started posting that their deep fried "chicken" had no trans-fats, and that Red Vines includes "non-fat food" on their label; oh good, healthy stuff :rolleyes:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I have a friend who suffers from IBS and found out she was a big milk drinker and that she was drinking milk to "coat her stomach" I sent her this link...
http://www.notmilk.com/

3 weeks...no milk..no stomach problems. I saw that the other diet you mentioned included milk which made me think of the notmilk site...they have a Crohns listing there.
Has she tried raw milk. Some say raw grass fed milk is can cure a bunch of IBS & IBD problems cuz of the good bacteria & all.

vinnycactus- we love almond milk & always have a gallon in the fridge.

Jeremy R- I may give it a go once I get tired of taking my meds...or go broke from them one.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Yeah, but the RDA for vitamin D which is 400 i/u I believe. I take upwards of 15,000 i/u a day now.
From Wiki...

The exact long-term safe dose of vitamin D is not known. In 1997 the U.S. Dietary Reference Intake Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) of vitamin D for children and adults was set at 50 micrograms/day (2,000 IU)[49], but this is viewed by some researchers as outdated and overly restrictive.[50] A 2007 risk assessment was made by two employees of the dietary supplement trade association Council for Responsible Nutrition,[50] that represents companies including Amway, Bayer AG and GlaxoSmithKline,[51] and their two colleagues, who declared that they had no personal or financial conflicts of interest. They suggested that 250 micrograms/day (10,000 IU) in healthy adults should be adopted as the tolerable upper limit.[50] In adults, sustained intake of 1250 micrograms/day (50,000 IU) can produce toxicity within a few months.[3] For infants (birth to 12 months) the tolerable UL is set at 25 micrograms/day (1000 IU), and vitamin D concentrations of 1000 micrograms/day (40,000 IU) in infants has been shown to produce toxicity within 1 to 4 months. Other sources indicate that the threshold for vitamin D toxicity in humans is 500 to 600 micrograms per kilogram body weight per day."[52] In rats an oral LD50 of 619 mg/kg is noted.[53] All known cases of vitamin D toxicity with hypercalcemia have involved intake of over 1,000 micrograms/day (40,000 IU)[54].

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
we actually use almond milk......how do you milk an almond?
You can actually easily make your own almond milk at home. You grind and soak raw, blanched (no skin) almonds and soak them in water. Drain off and voila'.

I have been using a coconut milk called So Delicious. It's like almod and soy milk, just made with coconuts (so not the same as the thick coconut milk you get in the cans.)

Re: Flax seed. Your body won't process it in whole seed form. So all those super healthy breads that have whole flax in them really aren't any better for you. One of the main benefits of flax is a veggie based form of omega 3's, 6's and 9's for those who can't/won't take fish oil.

Ground flax can be added to anything and has B vitamins, magnesium, protien, and fiber. It's like any other supplement. It's a great addition but probably won't make a big difference unless you are extremely difficient. Most people who would bother with flax aren't. It's good to add to stuff like breakfast cereal and baked goods just to give it that something extra, but you have to be careful because it is pretty sensitive to heat.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Everything we cannot purchase from the farmers market(rice, pasta etc) we'll purchase from earth fare or another whole foods market. grocery bill is like 200 a week but whatever.
I am a member and was shopping at our local co-op. Our grocery bill jumped almost 400 bucks a month. I deced that the stress from being broke all the time was negating the good that shopping at a co-op was doing for me, so I've gone back to my regular grocery store.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
You can get Coke made with beet sugar (probably not in glass bottles though) from a Jewish/Kosher deli/shop. Especially around Passover. Surely there are some Jews in Jersey.

It's back again. You should be able to find it. They changed the label though.
If I really want to be in a core Jewish area, I have to travel 20 minutes to either fair lawn, or rockland county new york. Both of which are known in israel as little israel. You could tell because the number of mini vans per capita rises significantly.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Considering that diverticulitis does not even exist in non industrialized countries, I was willing to make a drastic diet change to see if I can prevent it.
interesting:
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/367320-overview
International

In underdeveloped nations in Asia and Africa, diverticulosis occurs in less than 0.2% of the population. This low rate is probably the result of a high-fiber diet. In immigrants to Western nations from Asia and Africa, the frequency of diverticulitis increases within 10 years.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Re: Flax seed. Your body won't process it in whole seed form. So all those super healthy breads that have whole flax in them really aren't any better for you. One of the main benefits of flax is a veggie based form of omega 3's, 6's and 9's for those who can't/won't take fish oil.
QUOTE]

Awww...you don't need to go through all that, Monsanto has it all figured out...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601124&sid=av3UlD4nBapY :disgust1:

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Not exactly related, but I started to make my own bread a few weeks ago. Started with Irish soda bread... (turned out like cake), then banana bread (awesome), and then I made my own sourdough starter and make my own fresh bread 1-2x per week. Something very wholesome and peaceful about baking the bread that you eat. It also costs about $0.60 per loaf vs. $3.99 in the store.

If you dont know about it, look up some web pages about creating and taking care of your bread starter.

*edit: here's a good one: :Linky

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
You can actually easily make your own almond milk at home. You grind and soak raw, blanched (no skin) almonds and soak them in water. Drain off and voila'.

I have been using a coconut milk called So Delicious. It's like almod and soy milk, just made with coconuts (so not the same as the thick coconut milk you get in the cans.)

Thanks Laura. Going to give the coconut milk a try. Probably buy some bulk almonds this week and try "milking" them.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Thanks Laura. Going to give the coconut milk a try. Probably buy some bulk almonds this week and try "milking" them.
Blue Diamond's Almond Breeze almond milk is much more widely distributed than So Delicious' coconut milk plus its cheaper, taste better, and is better nutritionally. It also comes in more varieties and you can get it at many regular supermarkets too. I'd recommend the sweetened Original refrigerated to start:

http://www.bluediamond.com/index.cfm?navid=53

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Precisely my point. All these breads and granola bars that say "FLAX SEED" aren't any better for you. So it's a bunch of marketing BULLSH|T as I assumed. Can't stand disinformation. I've never given any :think:
Actually the resulting fiber from them is beneficial.