Quantcast

Forgot about this...

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by spectaculardark, Sep 28, 2005.

1. spectaculardark

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    While i was in my garage just a few minutes ago i found the aftermath of my first race. It was a 12 mile race (2005 Poor Farm Spring Cup) and since it was my first race i didnt know what to expect. i knew i wouldnt get the best time and i didnt...i finished last in my division. all i care is that i completed it cus that was an accomplishment in itself. halfway thro the last lap i noticed that my rear tire assembly was making a really wierd sound and it was really hard to pedal. after i finished i showed it to another monkey (mindlesfreak), a good friend of mine also doing the race, looked at it and said that i need to take a look at my rear axle. turns out that was exactly the problem.

here is a pic of what it looked like.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. black noise

black noise Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Haha nice. I did the same thing to my Bighit. I was fiddling with my rear hub and took the skewer out, and the end part of the axle fell off. I stared at it for a long time wondering if it was supposed to do that before taking apart the whole thing and realizing that it had snapped.

Putting a new one in is a lot of fun too.

3. WKC

WKC Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Ha, yeah I had the same problem as well, sort of. My axle bent just a little bit on the stock front hub of my Specialized P.1, and as I continued to ride, unknownly bent, the entire axle unknowingly broke in half inside the hub. I just simply replaced it with a solid axle, since it was an open-bearing hub, it was very quick and easy. Now I run bolt-ons on all of my bikes so that problem doesn't re-occur. What kind of bike were you using when it broke?

4. spectaculardark

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    my kona lana'i its like a 2000 or 01 i dunno i got it as my first "real" mountain bike. back a few years. alltho i have ordered a new one 2005 K2 Lithium 3.0. (http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131128) but yeh on my frame there is a lot of tire rub on it and some of the paint is MIA.

5. Mr Tiles

Mr Tiles I'm a beer snob

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    This seems to be becoming more common. I've got a bud that's snapped a couple qr axles like nothing in the past months. I'm thinking skewers/hollow axles just don't hold up to a whole lot of FR/DH abuse. I started running 20mm/solid rear axles a few years ago and I've never had a problem. Something about those hollow axles just isn't too confidence inspiring...

6. SD_TMTB

SD_TMTB Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I have broken a few qr axels, and I pretty baddy bent/snapped the rear bolt-on axel on my P2, another hub overhaul at the same time as the axel raplacement........
    all have been installed properly, but Im not sure why this keeps happening it seems like the axels would be stronger.

7. Urban FR'er 666

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    smack-dab-in-the-middle of NY(state, not city)!
    This is the reason why now about three time, when I have had rear wheels built up with XT disk hubs, I tell them, before you even build it, swap the axle to a solid(bolt-on)!!!

#7 -   Oct 3, 2005