Quantcast

Forks that won't snap?

digger

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
nowhere you would want to be
You make yourself look like a fool, I don't need to do anything except point it out.
just proves my point! I share an opinion and you just insult it!

I don't get it. You want people to buy your magazine and buy dainese protective gear and you want some fool to buy your Orange frame from you, but when it comes to Ridemonkey, you sit back and act like an a$$-hole with your rude comments all the time. Why not come up with something usefull and inviting for a change, like assistance from Transcend, or when in doubt, call on Transcend, have a question?.... ask me (Transcend). But no you are the A-hole that gets off to being a diVk with all of your insults. Help us out with all the info you have.... don't insult us!

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Not to stroke RockSHox or anything, but I would bet my nutsack they are aware of the issue, and are working to fix it. They have been on top of every other issue the Boxxers have had, in a very impressive time. I can imagine though that redoing the castings for the legs will take a while.
They'll never re do the lower legs if it means whole new castings,the reason they havn't bought out a new design is cause it's all proffit selling the the one they have with the castings they have. They went from magnesium lowers to alluminium when they moved the bulk of production to Taiwan didn't they?

Digger you'll never hit him all the way up there on that horse,save your breath. For all his flaws he does bring a wealth of knowledge to the table even if it seems shrowded in some ego.

digger

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
nowhere you would want to be
They'll never re do the lower legs if it means whole new castings,the reason they havn't bought out a new design is cause it's all proffit selling the the one they have with the castings they have. They went from magnesium lowers to alluminium when they moved the bulk of production to Taiwan didn't they?

Digger you'll never hit him all the way up there on that horse,save your breath. For all his flaws he does bring a wealth of knowledge to the table even if it seems shrowded in some ego.
I am aware of that which is why I don't get why he has to insult instead of educate

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I don't get it. You want people to buy your magazine and buy dainese protective gear and you want some fool to buy your Orange frame from you, but when it comes to Ridemonkey, you sit back and act like an a$$-hole with your rude comments all the time. Why not come up with something usefull and inviting for a change, like assistance from Transcend, or when in doubt, call on Transcend, have a question?.... ask me (Transcend). But no you are the A-hole that gets off to being a diVk with all of your insults. Help us out with all the info you have.... don't insult us!
Fraser is the resident idiot filter. He berates you with your own stupidity and insolence until you either STFU or leave.

Ever seen the DH board on MTBr?

I rest my case. :cupidarrow:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
It's possible to get people to learn not to write crap with out being offensive to them,yeah yeah toughen up blah blah but listening to somebody shooting down people new to MTB is just as anoying and is equally unecessary I recon. Some need it,most don't.
Are white brothers still making forks? Anything new?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
White Bros is still doing the 200mm DH fork, and although its heavier then the big 4's forks, it works bloody well. Stiff too, for an inverted design.

They also have the new 7" air fork, supposed to have a crazy weight of like 5.8 lbs or something.

Good little company.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
Ill try and clear things up because theres been alot of asumptions...

First of all i am an out and out racer NOT A HUCKER i do not do drops to flat or any types of riding when every time you do a jump ou stop and high five the guy behind!

Second i am very light and im not heavy on parts

i do not expect forks not to break whatever such as the picture above ither the frame or the forks are goig there!

I slightly cased (only by about half a foot) a double just a bit of a misjudgement came in too slow because id been hitting it too fast all day, the double was about 15-20ft and the backface wasnt too bad i did come in a little front wheel high but i was probably about level i just didnt nose it in, anyway, everyone there shared my view that they went real easy. so im a little put off to tell the truth, and concidering ive seen so many cracked or snapped but never seen a set of 888's snapped, sure its probably been done but not under norman circumstances, im leaning away from boxxers, fox seem to have the arch snaping problem but that isnt so bad it doesnt result in the internals being destroyed aswell and itll be warrentyable, i thought that was just a fault with the earlier ones though?

also whoevere said Rennie and hill etc ride them, what! if they crack them which they almost certainly do they get new ones free, my forks were almost certainly cracked allready, i just couldnt check because i had protective tape on them. sorry but it doesnt mean jack if a pro rides them.

Cheers fpr all the replys!
Adam

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
also id like to add, the title is a bit mis leading i just thought it sounded a little better than a what forks title but seing as that seems to be causing a problem i will change it if you like???

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Hmmm those 40 pics are a bit shady,I can't tell how many different sets are in those pics but one of the cracked crowns has a graze probably caused by hitting an imovable abject(tree?)and it's right over the crack. The axle clamp crack looks like it's been way overtightened(seen 888s done the same way),and what year are the other one or two?
Your going to be able to ride away from an arch cracking,legs snapping though will stop you on the spot,although you'll more than likely have stopped anyway I guess.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i like my inverted WB. i have not had to touch it and it
keep getting smoother.

I have seen no pics of a WB
inverted breaking, b/c they have the bushing closest
to the load point, unlike regular forks where when they
get loads at full extension the bushing is even farther
from the load, it binds, flex's enough to break the lowers.

i always thought a great for design would be have the bushings
attached the the uppers sliding INSIDE the lowers. the bushing
would be closest to the load area and in a sealed environment!
the bushing surfaces would NEVER come out to the elements.

8'' fork has a lot of leverage with not much overlap.
you case boxxer breaks.

ridea - i would stick to a 7'' fork. its all you really need.

Feb 13, 2006
In the awful long time I have been working, riding and racing in this industry, I can say I have probably seen close to every single mtb product ever created fail. Your statement is ridiculous and you sound like an ignorant 15 year old, so you should probably stop.
I thought this was funny, no matter what "digger" says.

Feb 13, 2006
Fraser is the resident idiot filter. He berates you with your own stupidity and insolence until you either STFU or leave.

Ever seen the DH board on MTBr?

I rest my case. :cupidarrow:
While this is pretty well true, it doesn't excuse Fraser's ignorant comments to me in the political forum about 8-9 months ago, where he said utterly cretinous things and said I was naive politically. He should stick to what he knows.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
Anyone have pics of broken 888s? Im sure there is one or two out there.
a friend of mine crashed in a local race in a rock garden, but there were no impact damage from rocks on the fork.

we looked harder and the fork and it was cracked around the leg just below the arch and you could see the bushing the entire way around as he tried to ride it.

but it was replaced my zocci quickly so.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
White Bros is still doing the 200mm DH fork, and although its heavier then the big 4's forks, it works bloody well. Stiff too, for an inverted design.

They also have the new 7" air fork, supposed to have a crazy weight of like 5.8 lbs or something.

Good little company.
is that even out yet? i heard they are like behind on releasing it? whats it gonna cost?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Buy a white brothers.

I say that because no one knows enough about them to argue for or against them.

Cept for vitox and me ;).............and they rule.
i have to agree there. a real underdog. considering how good they are i still can't believe they're relatively unknown. my dh2.0 was flawless for the three years i ran it.