Quantcast

Fox 40 or Boxxer World Cup

IVCrider

Chimp
Jun 24, 2006
In Traffic
I am building up a new 2007 v10 but am still undisided about which fork to use. I was set to get the 40 but I sat on a demo 8 with it at bootleg and didn't really like the way it felt. I tried playing around with the fork with no luck. However, Ive ridden on other 40s that were butter. I am just scarred that I am going to end up with another fork that I dont like, like my fox talas rc2.(had no luck with it, blown rebound twice and didn't really feel progressive.Been at fox for the past 3 weeks) I have never ridden a boxxer so any input is helpful. Price is not an issue, and both forks would be 2007's.
Thanks in advance, Ryan
I already did a search but only found results about last years models.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
Depends what type of riding you are going to be doing but from my experience with boxxer, I can tell you you won't be unhappy about it. As far as the 40, I've hopped on a friend's but it wasn't even close to being dialed in for my weight but yet it still felt really good.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
If you are going to do pure DH racing, get the boxxer. If you might throw a little freeriding, or have a DH course that has a fair amount of doubles or drops, get the 40.

My personal preferance would be the 40. However, I don't have enough money to build 5 bikes, so I need one bike for freeride/downhill and one for urban/DJ and everything else. Also, I think the 40 looks alot nicer.

Either way though, I'm sure you'll be happy.

IVCrider

Chimp
Jun 24, 2006
In Traffic
The bike is going to be for racing mainly. So it will be used at all the nationals(mt.snow, angelfire), whistler, bootleg, fontana, and a lot of other technical trails around my house like Mt. Tam.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
yeah then I'd recommend the boxxer- pure race. The 40 will do amazing as well but it will shave a tiny bit of weight with the boxxer wc vs the 40

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Actually it saves almost a pound of weight...

3120g Fox40
2767g Boxxer WC
---------------
353g
0.78lbs

The boxxer also has a compression damping system that actually works and has a decent adjustment range. The air spring system is as reliable as any, IMO it's an easy choice between the two forks.

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
I ran a 40 for 1.5years, huge reliablity problems for me I racked up:

1xnew lowers
2xnew stanchions
9x sets of seals
1xnew internals

the only original bits are my crowns axle and top caps pretty much.

No Im not a hack and yes I do look after my bike I just do alot moreriding than most dh riders do, on their dh bikes.

Anyway I've now switched to a boxxer team which has been abit of a revelation, far, far more reliable (only 1 seal replaced so far), Half the price of my 40, similar weight and I'd say about 95% of the preformance.

Just my experience...

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
This is not a question worth asking. Theyre both similar in weight, similar in price, similar in performance, similar in stiffness, and similar in maintainance. Its going to come down to what you personally like, because youre trying to compare 2 things where everyone is going to give you their own biased opinion, and that wont help you. Do some research, go test one out, dont listen to anyone's opinion unless they have ridden both forks tuned exactly to their liking. :thumb:

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I think what dh415 (RIP, I hope you're banned soon) meant to say was:

If you have the opportunity to do so, try both forks with the frame you intend to use them on. Adjust them to your liking (springs, rebound, oil...etc) and ride them on trails similar to what you will be racing on. Then, after you have experience with both, choose the one that best suits your personal style.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
This is not a question worth asking. Theyre both similar in weight, similar in price, similar in performance, similar in stiffness, and similar in maintainance. Its going to come down to what you personally like, because youre trying to compare 2 things where everyone is going to give you their own biased opinion, and that wont help you. Do some research, go test one out, dont listen to anyone's opinion unless they have ridden both forks tuned exactly to their liking. :thumb:
Actually, they're really not similar in weight, stiffness, or performance. Although not as stiff, the boxxer is roughly 3/4lb lighter (as someone already pointed out) and outshines the 40 in performance in my personal opinion.

I've owned both the 40RC and 06 WC, and it just so happens they were on an 06' V10.

I personally could never get my 40 to ride the way I like my fork to ride. It was never supple enough on small bumps with the recommended spring. When I jumped down to a soft spring (20lbs below recommendation for my weight) the fork tracked the way I wanted it to, but bottomed out too easily. With the recommended spring it felt as if it the fork was chattering over small bumps in flat turns (Yes, I know how to set up a fork and put air in my tires ;-)), which was the polar opposite of the rear end, making for one awkward ride. Its possible the same fork with a dual rate coil would solve my issues, or an 07' 40, since I would have been able to run a soft spring with increased bottom out.

It took me two runs on a properly tuned WC to help me realize everything my 40 wasn't comparing to. I switched to a WC shortly after, and have been impressed since the first ride. The fork has incredible small bump sensitivity (comparable to my 04 888) but has adjustments that actually make a noticeable difference. Having solo air allows me to tune the spring rate to myself, instead of relying on the generic rates of coil springs. In addition, the WC was super simple to service. I didn't have to worry about having a fox tent at a race, or sending my fork back to the factory for a complete overhaul. The maxle design is also superslick as well, not to mention the unnessesary weight that I shed without comprimising the durability of my race bike. My WC felt super balanced on my V10. I liked it so much I bought an 07 for my Sinister, the first time I've bought the suspension product twice.

Keep in mind that there were things that could possibly have solved my issues with the 40. (which i pointed out) I tried to be as objective as possible when writing this. All of which is my personal opinion based on extensive time on each fork on the same bike. I doubt you'll get too many more replies with that kind of experience.

IVCrider

Chimp
Jun 24, 2006
In Traffic
Banshee rider- Thanks for your input. I was hoping someone could give me an in depth review like that. It is going to be a hard decision.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
somone is atually commenting on a rider test! unheard of, you know this is a forum right?

Thats realy helpfull, im kinda torn at the moment aswell so thats a real help to anyone and quite dam honest aswell.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
At the risk of this forum post becoming a gay meeting point, Banshee Rider steps in and gives some excellent input on the actual debate.
Cheers cobber, I am faced with the Fox/RS WC choice also.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Go with the Boxxer... i rode a friend's at whistler and it was one of the best runs i ever had

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
I rode a 40RC2 in 05 & 06. I liked it and had no probs but I switched to a WC for '07.

A little lighter but cannot comment on ride as my bike is being built at this moment. I was worried about the smaller stanchions etc but since this will be a dedicated race bike I went with the WC.

cederrowe

Monkey
Feb 18, 2006
portland, oregon
I personally could never get my 40 to ride the way I like my fork to ride. It was never supple enough on small bumps with the recommended spring. When I jumped down to a soft spring (20lbs below recommendation for my weight) the fork tracked the way I wanted it to, but bottomed out too easily. With the recommended spring it felt as if it the fork was chattering over small bumps in flat turns (Yes, I know how to set up a fork and put air in my tires ;-)), which was the polar opposite of the rear end, making for one awkward ride. Its possible the same fork with a dual rate coil would solve my issues, or an 07' 40, since I would have been able to run a soft spring with increased bottom out.

This was the same thing I experienced with the fox 40 was the lack of small bump sensitivity. Felt a little numb on the small bumps which translates to difficult corner braking for me. As foar as the mid and big hits the shock really shined and was comparable to the World Cup. So the real difference for me between the two is Weight allready stated, and the small bump sencitivity which is a huge deal for me.
Just my two cents

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
have you looked at the 888wc, ment to be awsome or the 888ata...i find to get aload together, print the specs off and reviews for each and then go through and make a choise...just an idea...

but i would say boxxer wc or teams...get the TFtuned there amazing

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
funny, i have opposite experiances. fox is absolutely butter all round. small bumps only matches a 888, only complain if anything is the bottom out, but its solved now. but i still love my fork.

the wc on the other hand, i have tried a few but all have loads of stiction, for some reason it only seems to be me who feels that way on this board...

it does ramp up tho, where the 40 doesn't. but my take on it is the 40 is designed to be ridden all out, when i first got it i hated for a bit when i was riding slow tech trails and it would use soo much of its travel on small drops ect. you just feel boged down and sloppy... but when you ride flat out, its amazing.... gives you soo much confidence.

my 0.02

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
Sparkys name may be "banshee rider" but last year he was one of the fastest expert 19-29's in the northeast US. And he will do well in semi pro. I guess qualifying 8th out of 300 riders in the US open isnt so bad...but then again whats in a name.