Quantcast

Fox 40's, issue with arch snapping????

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
bballe336 said:
i would bet that it is significantly thinner. the fox weighs 6.** pounds and the monster weighs 12.5 without stickers right? so the fox might be somewhere around 1.25mm wall thickness and lighter internals. just an estiamte but i bet its not too much thinner than that.
About 9.5lbs for 02 monsters, and thats with 800ml's of oil in it.

pntballpunk51

Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
clifton *CPT REPRESENT*
Actually I had an email from Fox stating that if I sent the 40 into the factory that they could adjust the bottom out control to 'hard'. I asked how much of the stroke it would affect and he replied "mid to full stroke". Does that means it becomes more of a progressive fork? I might get fox to do this for me if they are at Snowshoe this weekend.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Cave Dweller said:
About 9.5lbs for 02 monsters, and thats with 800ml's of oil in it.
i was pretty sure the new 03-04 ones were at least that heavy. at least thats what i was told by the owner.

MTNPSYCHO

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Peabody, Mass
02 monster t is the best fork ever in the history of mtb....for the price of a bit more weight, you get unparalelled reliability, stiffness, plushness, and performance....manitous are not much lighter, not as stiff, and need tons of maintainance....Boxxers also require tons of maintainance and are flexy and disposable....888's have been prone to cracking and are too tall...fox's obviously are not very strong, and are breaking quite a bit...
Im sure plenty of you will disagree, but while you are busy calling the distributor trying to get new parts, drilling out holes, replacing arches, messing with internals, or working two jobs to save up money to replace a 1500$ fork you just bought this year, I will be out riding carefree on my Monster...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
MTNPSYCHO said:
02 monster t is the best fork ever in the history of mtb....for the price of a bit more weight, you get unparalelled reliability, stiffness, plushness, and performance....manitous are not much lighter, not as stiff, and need tons of maintainance....Boxxers also require tons of maintainance and are flexy and disposable....888's have been prone to cracking and are too tall...fox's obviously are not very strong, and are breaking quite a bit...
Im sure plenty of you will disagree, but while you are busy calling the distributor trying to get new parts, drilling out holes, replacing arches, messing with internals, or working two jobs to save up money to replace a 1500$ fork you just bought this year, I will be out riding carefree on my Monster...

A bit more weight? Fox 40 6lbs, Monster T 10lbs.

Also - many will argue that a boxxer is disposable, an 88 is fragile or a fox isn't strong.

MTNPSYCHO

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Peabody, Mass
Boxxer is disposable, I have owned two, and they were the cheapest built forks I have ever owned....never said a 888 was fragile, I said it is prone to cracking, and I can show you dozens of pics to prove it....I can also show you dozens of pics of broken/cracked/bent boxxers.....and now these fox forks that look brand new(and are) are having the arches break clean through...2000$ fork that breaks after a couple months of use....strong, indeed.....of course many will argue, its the way with racers, they always think the newest, shiniest product is far superior to anything older or less bling bling...
That fox does not weigh 6lbs when its been properly setup with the crapy ti spring removed, and my monster definitely does not weigh 10lbs.....Like I said, it doesnt matter how much the fork weighs(or doesnt) if its broken....if you feel happy shelling out 2000$ for a fork that is going to break in its first season, feel free...I will continue to laugh

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
OK. A brand new, 40R out of the box with an uncut steerer and ti spring is 6.76 pounds. The steel springs are going to bring that weight up to 7- so they're light, but not THAT light. The problem with the 40 is that its too stiff for the weight. To make it so light, its super thin (duh), but its also so stiff- so when you do need it to flex it won't. and the arch is the weakest link. A Boxxer doesn't seem to snap, they twist instead, and thats because of the inherent flex in the design. That said, when i do get mine back from warranty, i'll be keeping them. And if the lowers do crack in the same spot, i'll ask for my money back. Given that so many have cracked in the one spot, it seems that there is an issue in the design or construction. Whether or not they're fixed for 06 is a mystery.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Daver said:
The problem with the 40 is that its too stiff for the weight. To make it so light, its super thin (duh), but its also so stiff- so when you do need it to flex it won't. and the arch is the weakest link.
Yep, agree with that 100%. I have an old set of 00 monsters (that i bought real cheap second hand) at home that has a twisted brake arch, but at least the brace is replaceable.

Which is why i want to know if the casting have been changed. Is the 06 im getting in a week the same? i hope not. My record with forks is not good

Still don't know, i don't huck or do any of that crazy ****, i just like to ride DH fast, but im just worried about ditching the 02 monster for the fox. If only the monster didn't have a stupid steerer wheel offset of 65mm as opposed to ~45mm for every other fork in existance.

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
Maybe someone should email fox and ask them to chime in on the thread, and maybe even ask them to read the whole thing.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Transcend said:
A bit more weight? Fox 40 6lbs, Monster T 10lbs.

Also - many will argue that a boxxer is disposable, an 88 is fragile or a fox isn't strong.
Yeah, but a dorado 8.1lbs and 02 monster ~9.75lbs. Could be fairly insignificant or a big deal, depending on your perception.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ok here is the straight scoop, directly from one of the Fox lead engineers.

The casting has indeed been changed for 2006. In fact, he says they changed the casting towards the middle of the production this year.

If you look in the web you will see 2 little dots. They have numbers on them, 4 is the old casting. The new casting is 5 or 6, buthe wasn't 100% sure (he works in shocks, not fox mostly).

So there you have it, problem solved. He was also quick to point out that the casting can already take MUCH more stress then their competitors forks, as per their testing. My guess is that it was a stress riser due to the stiff lower as mentioned, but who knows. He didn't say.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Just checked. I have a 4......

be prepared for the next flood of posts based on people wanting upgrades to the newer casting..... i can see the fun now.....

freaking weaksauce.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Now nothing.

Mine has a 4 as well - just ride it like normal. When Dodge puts out a 2006 car, do you get to upgrade the body work on your 2005 for free? Of course not.

They have simply addressed an issue they saw and moved on. There may have been other reasons for changing the casting, i was just told that it had indeed been changed.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Transcend said:
Now nothing.
Precisely.
Ride it. It isn't defective. They made a running change that was an improvement, but that doesn't entitle anyone to a replacement unless there is a warranty issue.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Transcend said:
Now nothing.

Mine has a 4 as well - just ride it like normal. When Dodge puts out a 2006 car, do you get to upgrade the body work on your 2005 for free? Of course not.

They have simply addressed an issue they saw and moved on. There may have been other reasons for changing the casting, i was just told that it had indeed been changed.
Alternately, do you receive a warranty recall if your transmission casting is known to crack?

I doubt this problem is so dramatic that forks will fail. However, it does put the onus on the owners to inspect their equipment regularly...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sanjuro said:
Alternately, do you receive a warranty recall if your transmission casting is known to crack?

I doubt this problem is so dramatic that forks will fail. However, it does put the onus on the owners to inspect their equipment regularly...
touche, only the recall only happens when 10s of thousands of these break. According to the fox guys i speak to almost daily, only a few have actually been reported to them as broken - most of which were warrantied. That said, he also mentioned that if you crash in a race and break it...that isn't a warranty (altho i have seen them warranty even that on things).

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
I wonder what Fox considers a "few" i have personally seen 2 and from the rumblings of mtbr and rm seen another 5. So is a few less then 100 less than a 1000?

For a $1600 fork i would hope they would be big boys and warranty each one no matter what made the fork to break. If they know theres a flaw and changed it why not change it for the ones that break?

Marz knew there were a few problems with the 888 (air in casting) and they warrantied them. Thats good CS. Letting ppl ride forks that are going to break eventually(most likely outside the 1 yr warranty due to stress cracks like the pics previously) is Horrible CS

nsr3

Chimp
Jul 19, 2005
Philippines
good thing i opted not to get one..but im not a harcore rider i doubt if ill be able to break it..

do you think the 36 are gona break too? webbings on the arch are similar..

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Transcend said:
Ok here is the straight scoop, directly from one of the Fox lead engineers.

The casting has indeed been changed for 2006. In fact, he says they changed the casting towards the middle of the production this year.

If you look in the web you will see 2 little dots. They have numbers on them, 4 is the old casting. The new casting is 5 or 6, buthe wasn't 100% sure (he works in shocks, not fox mostly).

So there you have it, problem solved. He was also quick to point out that the casting can already take MUCH more stress then their competitors forks, as per their testing. My guess is that it was a stress riser due to the stiff lower as mentioned, but who knows. He didn't say.
Sweet. Thanks for that.

Its good to know they can rectify problems as they are bought up. Guess i'll be rocking the 06 fox 40, but im going to keep the monster under my bed just in case :cool:

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Transcend said:
touche, only the recall only happens when 10s of thousands of these break. According to the fox guys i speak to almost daily, only a few have actually been reported to them as broken - most of which were warrantied. That said, he also mentioned that if you crash in a race and break it...that isn't a warranty (altho i have seen them warranty even that on things).

"A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
James | Go-Ride said:
"A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."
Exactly. Cheaper to simply replace the ones that break.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
snowskilz said:
Letting ppl ride forks that are going to break eventually(most likely outside the 1 yr warranty due to stress cracks like the pics previously) is Horrible CS
All forks will break eventually.

Right?

It doesn't seem to be a "problem" but something to keep an eye out for.....

..."because if it is going to happen it will most likely show up here."

I really hate the Warrenty screaming public sometimes....it seems 10x's as bad in the bicycle industry. I saw a post on MTB in the clydsdale forum where a guy wanted to warrenty his saddle because he bent the rails and didn't remember hitting it that hard. :rolleyes: Apperantly that saddle is not the saddle for him.

This fork has a area that seems to give it's owners troubles.....not all not even a fair amount....even if it does fail it doesn't mean that Fox released a bad fork ....the owners have tons of more chances to screw it up than Fox does.

James | Go-Ride said:

That film rocks.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
RhinofromWA said:
All forks will break eventually.

Right?

It doesn't seem to be a "problem" but something to keep an eye out for.....
Yes all forks will eventually fail. Whether it be you hit a tree or just too much abuse. They will break.

In this case there is a known issue. They have addressed the issue and there is no recall. Fox offers a 1yr warranty. Say you purchase a 40 with the marking on it showing it could possibly fail. 2yrs down the road it snaps. I beleive its the companies responsibility to fix it. At this time they have not stepped up to the plate and addressed anything. Yes transcend called someone he knew there and go the low down. But fox as a company has not admitted any fault which they should. I know someone who called fox CS bc his 40 cracked and was told $300 for new lowers. I personally had a defective fox fork and was told to pay money to get it fixed. Obviously they are not pro consumer. they are pro fox. They will not recieve my money for any products.

And the above equation about having a recall is 100% correct. It would just be nice to have a company that stood behind their products.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I disagree with that- while that may be the case in the US, in Australia the head technician is Bear, who is an absolute champion. I told him i crashed the fork (more than once) and he's still going to look after me. If you go out and buy a new car, put it in first and crash it into a tree then is that a warranty? Sure as hell it ain't, but DW are still happy to give it out- maybe Bear should move to Fox in the US?

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
lets use your car analogy. Were going to pretend its a jeep wrangler. Now lets say the cars front axle breaks after said time. But if you drive your jeep off road it breaks faster. Should they warranty it? i think so. The jeep was meant to be driven off road. The fox 40 is meant to be ridden down hill.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Transcend said:
Exactly. Cheaper to simply replace the ones that break.
Exactly. Only actually under warranty. why call it a warranty if it's not.
Not a $120.00 + Shipping replacement. Warranty excluded.

Call it what it is.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
snowskilz said:
lets use your car analogy. Were going to pretend its a jeep wrangler. Now lets say the cars front axle breaks after said time. But if you drive your jeep off road it breaks faster. Should they warranty it? i think so. The jeep was meant to be driven off road. The fox 40 is meant to be ridden down hill.
If i raced a rally car as a privateer, and i clip a tree on the side of the track in a stage (essentially exactly the same as in a DH race) and i write of the front end, is that a warranty then? I mean, the car was meant to be driven off road in the first place.

Hand on, i'm arguing for non warranty when MY fork is broken?!?!?! Kick me, please.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
bpatterson6 said:
Exactly. Only actually under warranty. why call it a warranty if it's not.
Not a $120.00 + Shipping replacement. Warranty excluded.

Call it what it is.
eh?

If you hit a tree and expect a warranty, you are nuts. If you slam it into a rut and twist at 40mph and expect a warranty, you are nuts.

Jesus, i swear the MTB industry has the whiniest bunch of consumers I have ever met. You broke it, period. DH is a rough spore, nut up and buy replacement parts, or take up ping pong.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Transcend said:
eh?

If you hit a tree and expect a warranty, you are nuts. If you slam it into a rut and twist at 40mph and expect a warranty, you are nuts.

Jesus, i swear the MTB industry has the whiniest bunch of consumers I have ever met. You broke it, period. DH is a rough spore, nut up and buy replacement parts, or take up ping pong.
Good point. Why say it has a Warranty then?
Exactly what would the warranty be?

I can see it now: WARRANTY VOID WHEN INSTALLED!

Would that suffice?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
bpatterson6 said:
Good point. Why say it has a Warranty then?
Exactly what would the warranty be?

I can see it now: WARRANTY VOID WHEN INSTALLED!

Would that suffice?
You seriously do not get it? A warranty covers manufacturer and material defects, period.

You slamming it into something or twisting the hell out of it in a rut is NOT a manufacturer or material defect. It is pilot error. If the casting was full of bubbles, then they would cover it, it clearly isn't the problem.

If you hit a pot hole in your brand new car hard enough to break the rim, do you think they will give you a new one because some other idiot did the same thing?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Transcend said:
If you hit a pot hole in your brand new car hard enough to break the rim, do you think they will give you a new one because some other idiot did the same thing?
No, but you can file a claim with the city/town/state or whoever else is responsible for the roads upkeep.

Sorry dude, I'm just ball-busting. I know what you mean.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Transcend said:
You seriously do not get it? A warranty covers manufacturer and material defects, period.

You slamming it into something or twisting the hell out of it in a rut is NOT a manufacturer or material defect. It is pilot error. If the casting was full of bubbles, then they would cover it, it clearly isn't the problem.

Many people think warranty means "free upgrade". Companies take a loss, sometime huge, on warranties. It is the price of doing business, however.

Does a tiny crack mean the entire Fox line of forks are suspect? Well, I have a Fox Talas which has received its share of abuse, and no complaints from me.

Fox has taken care of customers with a problem, and I think that is all one should expect.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
nsr3 said:
do you think the 36 are gona break too? webbings on the arch are similar..
For the last time, it's a completely different fork.