Fox vs. Elka vs. Bos

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
Fox DHX 5.0
Elka Stage 5
Bos DH07

Of the three shocks for 09, money not being a factor, which would you suggest?
I race downhill seriously, and I like my set ups fairly soft and linear but with a bit of dampening like a motocross bike. It will be going on a Canfield Jedi F1.
Opinions?

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Elka being the cane creek?
Its really between that and the bos.
both are custom.
Both are expensive.
The Cane creek has more user adjustability but lets face it once you usually set your suspension up you dont touch it.
Im going Bos this year,got a shot of one that was tuned to virtualy my weight and it was brillant.
Everything about it felt great,I imagine that a cane setup similar would be great too.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
And the double barrel is not custom.....

If you are willing to spend the $$ for the Elka or BOS, that would most likely get you a Pushed Fox..no?

Not sure anyone has much experience with Elka...they have only just become avialable.

Bos has great reviews from most as does Push....

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
I would go with Bos, they look to make a quality product that has been raced on the world cup circuit since before people knew who Sam Hill was. Elka is new in the bike world, they are great at marketing. I would not expect to get great customer service from them. At work we are an Elka dealer and they will not sell us seals. They will sell us seal heads thought but that is a much more expensive part.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Fox DHX 5.0
Elka Stage 5
Bos DH07

Of the three shocks for 09, money not being a factor, which would you suggest?
I race downhill seriously, and I like my set ups fairly soft and linear but with a bit of dampening like a motocross bike. It will be going on a Canfield Jedi F1.
Opinions?
I haven't ridden the Elka, but the BOS is a noticeable improvement on the DHX in my opinion, if money isn't a problem anyway. The small bump sensitivity is pretty insane (though for the record the Cane Creek is pretty damn good too once it's broken in, dunno if that's an option for you), and the shock is very controlled on both fast rough stuff and big single hits. I couldn't really fault it other than the price, because I haven't ridden anything better. I also think it's the kind of shock that stands to offer better riders more than it does to the average punter - if you can't push your shock hard anyway then it's not going to do a great deal for you other than feel super smooth; from what I've seen of your vids you probably can actually gain something legitimate from it over a DHX though.

I would also recommend that you check out the Cane Creek too though, they perform fairly similarly to the BOS, though a bit less foolproof with setup - while they can be set up to be great, they can also be set up to be terrible, which is nearly impossible to do with the BOS.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
If you can wait a day or two, I will give a first ride impression review on the elka. I will be riding it tommorow.

ricardotubbs

Chimp
Mar 6, 2009
Montreal, Québec
Elka. I test ride one last fall...Elka were giving a demo day at Bromont. I tried it with a Ti coil and wow...I ordered one...it never bottoms out...setting it is really easy. I can't compare with the BOS since I've never used it but for me Elka>FOX DHX 5.0. But like some of you mention, Elka is new in this market so I'll keep my old DHX as a back up....

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
Elka. I test ride one last fall...Elka were giving a demo day at Bromont. I tried it with a Ti coil and wow...I ordered one...it never bottoms out...setting it is really easy. I can't compare with the BOS since I've never used it but for me Elka>FOX DHX 5.0. But like some of you mention, Elka is new in this market so I'll keep my old DHX as a back up....
never bottoming out does not make it a good shock. as a matter of fact a correct shock set up will bottom out once in a while.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
I havent spent time on an elka on a bike but did run one on a klx110 I campained a couple years back in miniMOTO, and it was money! Blew everything else away. The people at elka were really easy to deal with, product was flawless, couldnt have asked for more out of that shock. Thats the only input i can give you.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
never bottoming out does not make it a good shock. as a matter of fact a correct shock set up will bottom out once in a while.
I would change that to;

Using full travel (bottoming out) a few times, but never feeling it is always good.

Bottoming out and feeling the suspension "stop" as it reaches the mechanical limits is always bad.

racer661

Chimp
Oct 31, 2007
have you thought about the Manitou Revox? I have it on my glory dh, ill tell you right know it blows the dhx 5.0 out of the water! thats what i had on the bike prior to the Revox. It has low speed, high speed, rebound, air bottom out and it has a dial with 1,2,3,4(1 being least 4 being most) on it that changes the ratio of the air in the bottom out chamber. you should def. look into it, I belive you will love it!! :cheers:

Ethan Quehl

ricardotubbs

Chimp
Mar 6, 2009
Montreal, Québec
I would change that to;

Using full travel (bottoming out) a few times, but never feeling it is always good.
it's exactly how I felt on the elka...I probably bottomed out but at the end of the day I couldn't tell...the place where this shock impressed me the most is in the fast-open-loose rock-type-run...

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
I would change that to;

Bottoming out and feeling the suspension "stop" as it reaches the mechanical limits is always bad.
true true. thats what the bottom out stopper is for.

Last edited:

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
Yeah I heard elka has been doing a lot of r&d on a bottom-out rebound setting. Kind of like high speed rebound except farther in the travel at full bottom out, thats probably why you felt like it bottomed out so well.
I'm still on the fence between the Elka and the BOS though. Is there anyone that has had ride time on both?

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
jedi=roco air wc
ask people who have them on their jedis. it seriously feels so amazing and is cheaper. chris and lance suggest it

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
From your options I would say BOS or a pushed DHX. I am not a fan of the Elka, I want to see some long term write ups.

If the Cane Creek Double Barrel is a option I would strongly consider that. I am going on my 4th season using one, I love it. Once you get it dialed and learn the adjustments it is very very adjustable for ALL types of riding and tracks.

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
ummm...at Elka..in Quebec. Same place you buy one......
Oh really? :lighten:

When I talked to the Elka rep at sea otter last year he said that most competent dirt bike dealers could service their shocks, I wanted to know if there was any truth to that.
Probably should've been more clear.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
who is the US distributor, I would expect them to be capable of servicing the shock.

TF tuned can do it, the belgium distributor does servicing himself. So why not somebody in the US.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
There is no US distributor for either the Elka or the BOS. Americans do not respect cyclists in any shape or form. Here, bikes are for kids, nothing more...they are toys in the minds of 99.9% of Americans. Unlike in your country, they are not considered legitimate transportation even.

Is the communal bike program an Amsterdam thing only, or a country wide thing. IIRC, I only saw them in Amsterdam...???

Ridge dweller: Most moto suspension companies are FAR more competent in servicing any shock than a bike mech (yea, Adam is good, but....). For simple things like oil changes and nitro pressure, I am sure someone like TBT could help you out with either shock.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Oh really? :lighten:

When I talked to the Elka rep at sea otter last year he said that most competent dirt bike dealers could service their shocks, I wanted to know if there was any truth to that.
Probably should've been more clear.
Ever tried to take a MTB shock of any kind to a moto suspension shop for service? Doesn't work so hot usually. Big liability problems.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Jeff Steber, owner if Intense Cycles posted up a pic of a M6 he has with BOS front and rear, he said BOS will not be selling directly to the USA until they figure out a place to have the shocks serviced here.

I am sure a place like QBP can do it but they probably want some huge profit sharing program and contract to do that.

Pat Tellier

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
Montreal, QC, Canada
Elka Suspension shocks can be serviced by:

- Elka Suspension factory in Quebec
- Hippie Tech Suspension in Idaho
- Fast Suspension and Texam in France and Europe
- Most U.S. Elka Authorized Service Centers for ATV and Motorcycle products (soon!)

As a last resort, any qualified suspension technician can service an Elka shock with the proper tools and parts, as we use standard components and technology.

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
Pat, Can you tell me what special tools I would need to service the rear shock?
Chris has been on a couple rides and I rode the Elka two days in Bootleg. The first thing I felt was that it didn't seem over damped like alot of shocks for moto backgrounds. It was about as smooth as it gets in the begining stroke and the bottomout seems like a non event. Didn't spike near bottom, just had a nice, smooth stop and the rebound was sweet. The one I rode was tuned for the Jedi with a high speed rebound circuit. I adjusted the rebound, two clicks slower, after the first half run and after that I never felt the rear coming up out of control. Just fast smooth travel with a parachute rebound on the out of control stuff.
We have a BOS, front and rear coming. It will be fun to try them back to back. FYI, coming off a Avalanche, Roco air, DHX, CC and a RS Vivid. Vivid has a air bubble, Avy feels over damped like the CC, Roco needs service (over a year riding, needs seals) and DHX always feels good.
Loving the Elka so far!

Pat Tellier

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
Montreal, QC, Canada
I'm glad you enjoyed our shock. You perfectly described what we aimed for while developing this shock.

The main specials tools needed to service our Stage 5 shock are a floating piston puller (with gradations for the position), a reservoir holder, a body holder, a shaft holder and finally a bleed fitting and ideally a shock vacuum pump.

These tools will be available for sale to all Elka Authorized Service Centers, even those for powersports, and will include a service manual.

Before anyone else ask: Not available to anyone but Elka Authorized Service Centers.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
Chris has been on a couple rides and I rode the Elka two days in Bootleg. The first thing I felt was that it didn't seem over damped like alot of shocks for moto backgrounds. It was about as smooth as it gets in the begining stroke and the bottomout seems like a non event. Didn't spike near bottom, just had a nice, smooth stop and the rebound was sweet. The one I rode was tuned for the Jedi with a high speed rebound circuit. I adjusted the rebound, two clicks slower, after the first half run and after that I never felt the rear coming up out of control. Just fast smooth travel with a parachute rebound on the out of control stuff.
We have a BOS, front and rear coming. It will be fun to try them back to back. FYI, coming off a Avalanche, Roco air, DHX, CC and a RS Vivid. Vivid has a air bubble, Avy feels over damped like the CC, Roco needs service (over a year riding, needs seals) and DHX always feels good.
Loving the Elka so far!

So it sounds like you are pretty stoked on the jedi running the elka shock. But haven't done any testing with the BOS yet?

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
That's right, very stoked on the Elka! The more I ride it, I'll be able to say better what it's like but for now, it's pimp!
No testing on the BOS yet. We'll see them toward the end of the month. I'm on Elka till then and Chris will get my Elka and I'll start testing the BOS.
Pat - I was the most surprised by not feeling a transion between the high and low speed. I did'nt mess with any adjustments except I slowed rebound two clicks and went from jumping nose heavy to just right.

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
I'm just curious about the comment from Lance regarding his Avalanche feeling "over damped". I'm a long time Avalanche user and just wanted to hear anything specific you can offer on that comment? Not saying you are wrong or anything like that, I'm genuinely interested in your feedback. Is it something you feel that could just be altered with a revalve or adjustment? Since the Avy is tuned to your riding and bike etc I'm surprised to hear you say it felt over damped.

Thanks for your time and one day I will buy a Jedi if it kills me! lol

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
What about Avalanche? These are about as custom as you can get...
Good point. If your in the US its the most sensible one to go for. There superb items and very tunable. From my experience they have a great after sale support and that is coming from some on in the UK. I use them just because they will make you anything you want and you get a lot for your cash. Well you did before the UK pound crashed now anything imported costs a bomb.

Most of the shocks out there be them Fox, Rock Shoxs, Bos, Elka and so on are all in most ways very similar. If your after something a little different technically speaking why not get your self a Double Barrel. Its the most original shock out there at the moment and arguably one of the best.