Quantcast

Freecaster to charge to watch World Cup coverage.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
They are looking into a paypal option, as well as a package option for the entire season + a dvd after the season.

The issue is that paypal charges a fairly large % in fee, and the sms service doesn't. It is quite a popular system in the rest of the world, fyi. Freecasters numbers are MUCH larger outside of north america (the biggest market is Germany).

This year's feed will also include live timing stats etc. It should be pretty interesting. Remember, nothing happens without money, it's hard for them to grow the service when the rest of the bike industry isn't willing to kick in any money to help, even though they rave about how valuable it is to their business.

It's actually a bit odd. Hopefully things work out.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
I'll pay to watch it live if the feed is good, doubt I'd pay for a replay when I could just go to Dirt and watch the best bits. Watching worlds live last year was feckin awesome, defo worth the proposed cost!

Was it Beaumont that Rob was commentating with for a lot of last year? Anyway, I thought they worked well together, more of the same would be good.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
<flame>

So are they going to change the name to paycaster? :rimshot: :D

</flame>

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
PS: The UCI is cracking down on other videos now as Freecaster apparently has exclusive rights during the season.

Oops, beaten. Word went out just prior to Sea Otter to everyone. I am not sure if it means only during events or if it includes post season videos. I have a feeling it is just web broadcast during the events. ie: filming for an end of season video will be ok.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
They are looking into a paypal option, as well as a package option for the entire season + a dvd after the season.

The issue is that paypal charges a fairly large % in fee, and the sms service doesn't. It is quite a popular system in the rest of the world, fyi. Freecasters numbers are MUCH larger outside of north america (the biggest market is Germany).
well good for them then. I'm sure the German market has plenty of growth potential. :rolleyes:

I'd pay for it if it isn't the whole SMS thing. Visa, Paypal, whatever. Just not my phone. The Canadian telecomms market sucks so bad I'm considering giving up my cell entirely. The system is run like a oligopoly and until that changes they can suck mah bawlls.

I get this is a tight rope for Freecaster to walk. On the one hand they get no love from the bike industry, but they offer a premium service that can't really be matched. On the other hand, teams and bike companies have their own videographers documenting the races and producing ever better content. Two years ago, Freecaster was my primary source for race footage. Last year I could get daily footage from (off the top of my head) Trek World Racing , Specialized (teh sucks), Yeti, Dirt, and Mtbcut. That's a lot of competition. Freecaster provides a premium service, and I'm willing to pay for it, but they better make it easy for me to pay, caus' there's lots of other free services out there that (almost) satisfy my race-geekdom.

Warner...? I can take him or leave him. He's gotten better over the past two years, and he's at his best with someone who can temper his "enthusiasm". Stick was pretty good, and Fabien was awesome. Rachel? Not so much... she got too caught up in the action too.

All this to say:

1. I'd pay.
2. not by cell phone.
3. Warner - If he can curb his enthusiasm.
4. I'd give them another chance wrt quality of service. I could tolerate a moderate amount of interruptions in the first year of paid service, but not in the second.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
See the previous posts about team footage this year...
yeah. I just saw that. (it was posted while I was typing I guess). I still think we'll see half decent event coverage from the video mags... off race footage too, practice etc...

But none of that will matter if we can't pay for the service caus' they will only accept payment via sms. For me, that's the biggest issue.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
PS: The UCI is cracking down on other videos now as Freecaster apparently has exclusive rights during the season.
:thumbsdown:
horrible idea, especially with the awesome feeds freecaster had last year :rolleyes:

i guess those teams who hired cinematographers again this year are SOL

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
This sport is truely unbelievable...at least the people that participate in it are. From what I gather, people are looking for Direct TV quality, coverage and reliability for $3!?Seriously? Pay per view events for MMA, Boxing etc. are $50+ and that is why you get that quality. We're talking about a $20 (per season)gamble that you'll get to see some descent WC racing with (hopefully) an improved stream.

People are running around on $5k bikes, buying all of the latest and greatest crap that literally doesn't make 'em ride any better and matching "kits"(gayest word ever) but are bocking at this!?

I'll pay it and take my chances. I've wasted $20 on worse things. I do wish, and hopefully they are listening, that I could pay a lump sum for the whole season and have the ability to watch it whenever I want within a 24-48 hr time frame. As far as a guarantee, I'm sure there is a way and maybe they can come up with something. The way I look at it is: If I pay, maybe it will grow and get better. If not, it won't.

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'd pay, but I'd need to have the option to watch it later instead. I drink too much beer to not pass out before 3am and I drink too much beer to wake up by 3am.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
with that link that ebarker9 provided as context, freecaster damn well better jack up the number of cameras on course. So many stacks and deciding moments were lost because of a lack of cameras, and it was only thanks to the now banned 'videographers', that that footage was captured for the fans to enjoy. Case in point: same hill's insane snow plough at Andorra. If Freecaster is getting exclusive rights, it might mean any televised footage will result in good financial return to freecaster via royalties.
That end of year DVD better have the most awesome footage ever..

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
ok one last time. Freecaster has nothing to do with the cameras on course. It is the UCI that has that responsibility. Freecaster event offered to take care of it all, in HD no less, and were turned down.

The rights haven't changed. Freecaster got them 3 years ago, and they were just never enforced. They have to charge to stay afloat now and provide this coverage, therefore it must now be enforced. It's simple economics. It's $3. Don't drink your non fat skim choco latte once a month, and you can afford 2 events.

May 31, 2008
Belgium
Thank you for all the posts, I'm sure more will come :-)

I'm certainly taking the constructive feedback on board. I'd also like you all to realise a few things:
  • the LIVE video production is managed by the UCi and they do a great job with very little financial resources as there is not major sponsor in the sport
  • at Freecaster we don't have the resources to add cameras to the UCI production as we first have to cover the streaming costs
  • we acquired rights first because we started the LIVE coverage of MTB racing and didn't want to be out the game, secondly because you can't have too many people in the market selling the same project to sponsors. By the way those rights are internet only and thus not TV. + there is no money to be made with MTB rights on TV, trust me on that one!
  • besides costs for rights, travel, photos copyright and commentary, Freecaster also has to pay for the bandwidth. The more people watch and the longer they watch the higher the bill. Our success in 2009 cost us dearly as we had no sponsor
  • we produced a DVD and I'd like to thank those who bought it as they put their money where their mouth is when it came to support us
  • we have no choice but charge you the fans as there is no way we can offer for free something that is costing us hundreds of thousands EUR (yes it's a six figure sum)
  • had we secured more sponsors we would have remained free. We have been since 2004 ...
  • we will work hard to offer paypal and season passes as well as a season bundle with the DVD
  • we invested in developing a NEW video player that uses http streaming technology. This is new and very promising technology. Will it work under the pressure of 100,000 people all expecting the same stream at once, only a live event will tell. But we work with akamai who are the leaders in that field ...
  • we remain very motivated and work very hard at providing you the best possible coverage of a sport we are passionate about
  • maybe we should one day show you all who we are so that you realise that we are just 3 people like you with a tremendous passion for the sport, a belief in what we're set to do, too few sponsors and no investors
  • be grateful to Scott for offering every one a free access this week-end. Use the opportunity to test the new set-up and see for yourself
  • talk to the brands you know and convince them to follow Scott's lead, who knows maybe all races will remain free afterall

Please bear in mind that in the eyes of the big media houses: MTB is a niche sport with a tiny audience. If Freecaster can't generate revenues this year by charging a small fee or by finally securing enough sponsorship revenues, there will be no more LIVE coverage on the Internet for quite some time as no one will ever invest so much money for the fun of it.

Feel free to respond on the forum or email us anytime at support@freecaster.com

Ray

PS. Will, who manages the MTB channel, is at all races, so don't be shy, go up to him (usually he isn't far from Warner) and share your thoughts face to face. I hope I can make it to the worlds this year. I'll welcome critics or free beer, your call by then ;-)

Last edited:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Ray - don't worry about the haters. 99% of us truly appreciate what you do and respect the decision to charge less than $3 per race.

May 31, 2008
Belgium
@drkenan

I don't see hate, I see lack of information, unrealistic expectations and some good feedback to help us work harder to offer a better service. I honestly thought that SMS payment would be easier than PayPal, well lets give the choice. I also thought that season passes or DVD bundles were a little ambitious as some of you encountered issues in the past and I wanted first to provide the best possible service.

Last edited:

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
Believe it or not, some people don't use cellphones or people don't have the plans setup to allow for payment via SMS, so a Paypal or equivalent option would be appreciated.

I would be more than willing to be a fee for each race or a one time bundle option.

I understand that the UCI has exclusive broadcasting rights through Freecaster, but recap videos after the race is over is surely different than broadcasting live? Could you clarify this Ray?

Freecaster for the win!:headbang:

Last edited:

Speedgoat9

Monkey
Aug 27, 2009
State College, PA
I'll pay. There is only one way to grow our sport. Props to freecaster for putting in the effort to expand, when most people would just throw in the towel.

Plus, i just had acl reconstruction so i'm off the bike for 6-9 months, i need something to do/ watch and keep me motivated:weee:

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
Well Ray, as always there is an economical balance. I would offer the example of Apple: what ever you can afford to do, do it well. I for one have been waiting for the start of the new season, and am very willing to dole out some cash on a quality streaming service.

if i had one wish, then it would have to be more camera angles. I know it's outta freecaster's hands, but that's what I hope for :)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'll pay. There is only one way to grow our sport. Props to freecaster for putting in the effort to expand, when most people would just throw in the towel.

Plus, i just had acl reconstruction so i'm off the bike for 6-9 months, i need something to do/ watch and keep me motivated:weee:
Duuude... you don't need to be off the bike for 6-9 months after ACL reconstruction?! :eek: I had ACL reconstruction (hamstring graft) and was pedalling around town 3 weeks later. Did a mountain bike trip to the Chilcotins 3 months later. Maybe it's more than an ACL...

anways, back on topic, Ray, if you give me the option to pay any other way than by cell phone, you've got one guaranteed paid customer. As has been said before: Freecaster FTW :thumb:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Great info and frank talk from Ray @FC. +rep

PS - an FYI for Europeans: those of us in the USA aren't used to paying for things via SMS. It's very uncommon here. (That's why people are bitching about it in this thread.)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Great info and frank talk from Ray @FC. +rep

PS - an FYI for Europeans: those of us in the USA aren't used to paying for things via SMS. It's very uncommon here. (That's why people are bitching about it in this thread.)
many American's would probably look at you funny if you used the term 'SMS'. They know it just as "texting" :weee:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
charging for this service doesn't bother me....but to crack down on videographers is a classic case of the UCI not understanding that its those videos that are driving interest in racing, building up the drama, allowing the fans to see more of the course. it then drives them to do things like pay to watch the actual race. what a bunch of useless turds. Unless freecaster can provide the same level of pre-race coverage that the onlines are, then enforcing this rule is only doing the sport a disservice.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
charging for this service doesn't bother me....but to crack down on videographers is a classic case of the UCI not understanding that its those videos that are driving interest in racing, building up the drama, allowing the fans to see more of the course. it then drives them to do things like pay to watch the actual race. what a bunch of useless turds. Unless freecaster can provide the same level of pre-race coverage that the onlines are, then enforcing this rule is only doing the sport a disservice.
+1.

Reminds me of the National Champs debacle.

May 31, 2008
Belgium
Believe it or not, some people don't use cellphones or people don't have the plans setup to allow for payment via SMS, so a Paypal or equivalent option would be appreciated.

I would be more than willing to be a fee for each race or a one time bundle option.

I understand that the UCI has exclusive broadcasting rights through Freecaster, but recap videos after the race is over is surely different than broadcasting live? Could you clarify this Ray?

Freecaster for the win!:headbang:
Agree with you re Apple who not only do great work but charge for it too. (btw did you know that we won the International Apple Design Award back in 2004 for Freecaster.tv :weee: )

Regarding your question about post race videos. I think that we need to distinguish between videos produced by the teams for training analysis as well as promotion on their sites and clips produced by media. I leave it to the UCI to determine their media strategy. I have my opinion on the subject but, with all due respect, this is not the place for me to expose it. I'd rather do it face to face with all parties involved around the table.

toothpick

Chimp
Jul 25, 2007
Videographers are turning the riders into DYI "brands" like - Masters, Delfs etc, not just sponsored puppets. That's a good thing IMO.

SMS is catching on here - we did Haiti relief donations via SMS and a lot of some demographic vote on Idol right?

Looking forward to watching DH on freecaster this year :)

Last edited:

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
+2 The recap coverage offered by other sites made last season the best ever. I think most of us hoped/expected that footage would be even more plentiful this year.

Freecaster does a great job of covering the live action with their limited resources, but they struggle to cover footage beyond what the UCI gives them. Now if you ban non-freecaster videographers, we're going to have a very small window into these events...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
+2 The recap coverage offered by other sites made last season the best ever. I think most of us hoped/expected that footage would be even more plentiful this year.

Freecaster does a great job of covering the live action with their limited resources, but they struggle to cover footage beyond what the UCI gives them. Now if you ban non-freecaster videographers, we're going to have a very small window into these events...
Agreed. Seems kind of dumb to me. I don't think that the filiming of events by independent videographers really cuts into the live broadcasts' profits or viewership (could be wrong there, though). If there aren't any other vids besides freecaster during the season, I won't be any more or less likely to pay for a feed. And unfortunately, I don't find the live feeds to be that great. I'd rather watch two 5 minute recap vids than 2 hours of live coverage. DH racing just isn't that exciting on tv cameras for me.

What I'll do is probably care less; maybe check the results a day after the event just to see who won and that's it.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
to quote wedding singer: "See, Billy Idol gets it. I don't know why she doesn't get it."

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I may have missed it but if you pay is it only for the live feed, or do you get to watch it again for a certain period of time? If it's live only I'll have to pass, but if I can watch a replay then I will no doubt pay.

May 31, 2008
Belgium
Please bring me up to speed because it seems that you're very well informed about UCI's media strategy and know much more than I do. Or are you just creating yet another controversial discussion with little or no information?

PS. Don't hesitate to watch the course walks as well as other behind the scenes clips on Freecaster, you might be surprised to discover we actually did produce content that is quite comprehensive and interesting let alone entertaining. That being said, I very much enjoy watching the clips done by Clay Porter, Lucas Stanus or Stu Thomson amongst other

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
Please bring me up to speed because it seems that you're very well informed about UCI's media strategy and know much more than I do. Or are you just creating yet another controversial discussion with little or no information?

PS. Don't hesitate to watch the course walks as well as other behind the scenes clips on Freecaster, you might be surprised to discover we actually did produce content that is quite comprehensive and interesting let alone entertaining. That being said, I very much enjoy watching the clips done by Clay Porter, Lucas Stanus or Stu Thomson amongst other

Hey Ray, thanks again for taking the time to post here!

Here is what we're referring to (second bold topic): http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=18757

Aug 4, 2008
I will gladly pay - as long as Freecaster stays afloat, because it's literally the best thing that happened to MTB - after disc brakes and 5-10 shoes OFC.

May 31, 2008
Belgium
Hey Ray, thanks again for taking the time to post here!

Here is what we're referring to (second bold topic): http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=18757
OK I c. Have you seen any UCI press announcement because I haven't? Again it is to the UCI to determine their media strategy, not us here even if we all feel more or less qualified. That being said a forum is a public place for free speech :-)

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Happy to pay $3.

Happy to get up at 2 in the morning to watch.

Even with the patchy coverage last year.

Where else will I EVER see DH live? Living on the underside of the planet means attendance in person is not possible, and this is the next best thing.

Having said that (and indicating at least part of the market values this enough to pay for it)... I need to rant a little;

DH is still (and likely to always be) a niche sport. This is what the web (and web coverage) was built for. Those who want to grow their businesses in such a niche market need all the help they can get... so...

All you industry people who are reading this... put your hands in your damn pockets.

Those of you old enough to remember the prime time of DH know what increased coverage can do... and know how the drop off (when coverage stops) hurts business and people involved. Freecaster has - in my view - been responsible for a substantial lift in attention to DH and so a related lift (or at least not dropping as bad as it might have due to recession) in SPENDING ON YOUR PRODUCTS.

You've got an amazing tool to promote your stuff - use it. If it dies... well... life goes on, but don't waste opportunity. I'm looking hard in your direction SC, Trek, and the other 'majors'.

Ray - keep it up, you're doing great things.