Quantcast

(Friday) Friday (Friday)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Interested in hearing your thoughts
I've only played around with it a bit, but its pretty trippy at first.

The machine builders in Korea can't travel here, so we're going to have an engineer wear it while working on the machine. The dudes in Korea will be able to see exactly what our guy sees and will basically use him as a puppet to get the new machines going.

No idea what a Hololens is...that like the Allspark for IT people?
Its an augmented reality headset made by Microsoft, so it is integrated with Office 365 and other stuff. Basically a computer strapped to your head with a pair of glasses, which are the computer screen.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've only played around with it a bit, but its pretty trippy at first.

The machine builders in Korea can't travel here, so we're going to have an engineer wear it while working on the machine. The dudes in Korea will be able to see exactly what our guy sees and will basically use him as a puppet to get the new machines going.
we used them to 'witness' factory acceptance tests of main power transformers at a plant in Mexico, as travel restrictions made a site visit unpossible. pretty cool :nerd:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
we used them to 'witness' factory acceptance tests of main power transformers at a plant in Mexico, as travel restrictions made a site visit unpossible. pretty cool :nerd:
Sounds pretty similar to this, it is definitely cool. Things like these could simplify travel and whatnot in the future or make helping remotely a lot easier. But man learning the gestures is pretty dorky at first when you're the only one wearing it. :D

Automotive plant by any chance?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Sounds pretty similar to this, it is definitely cool. Things like these could simplify travel and whatnot in the future or make helping remotely a lot easier. But man learning the gestures is pretty dorky at first when you're the only one wearing it. :D

Automotive plant by any chance?
nope, power transformers for generation facilities.

@Adventurous good news! Didn't die. Also didn't ride so much as hike a bike and take pictures of all the stupid shit I used to hit as a kid and reminisce. No regrets.

Man that place has a distinctive smell, it is almost rougher than I remember, if that's possible.

View attachment 151283View attachment 151284View attachment 151285View attachment 151286View attachment 151288View attachment 151289View attachment 151290

And last but not least, the most ridiculous huck I've ever done to a natural landing with no transition. Judging by the 20-ft tall trees in the landing, it's not too popular anymore :rofl:
View attachment 151291View attachment 151292
Lynn?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
In this 1800 folks town close to me a Thai food trailer popped up. I had no high hopes but I am happy to report that the food is quite good. The couple running it is a Danish dude and a Thai woman, that might explain it.
So I win today. :banana:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It's pretty much surrounded on 3 sides, the fire wasn't stopped by the continential divide.
View attachment 151300
But the town is still standing, from what I understand... the next 48 hours are going to be absolutely critical, as there is a Red Flag warning for Saturday, followed by a BIG storm, from all accounts... I really, really, REALLY hope the storm is a monster. Those folks deserve the relief.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Some things are best left to the past, and Acopoco is one of those things.

A 12 foot huck to mostly flat isn't something that should be encouraged.
I've been working on something similar here, although the landing is a *slight* slope . . . just need to finish the runout. Will I ever hit it? . . . maybe?
1603478592580.jpeg

also, when looking for that pic, found this one of @jonKranked whipping up some wings. DAMMIT. now i want wings and snowshoe.
1603478648091.jpeg

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
That too. Then again, a lot of good CO mountain towns suffer from the same affliction.

At least things start to die down in October so the rest of us can go play.
The one trail I hiked while in CO for Adam's wedding was absolutely MOBBED by dozens, if not hundreds, of (I'm assuming) tourists. It fucking sucked.

I wanted to be the ONLY tourist there. :p

Edit - 99% sure it was Emerald Lake.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
But the town is still standing, from what I understand... the next 48 hours are going to be absolutely critical, as there is a Red Flag warning for Saturday, followed by a BIG storm, from all accounts... I really, really, REALLY hope the storm is a monster. Those folks deserve the relief.
What a fucking bummer. That town is an absolute gem, it would be a real shame to lose it. Well, that and a huge swath of RMNP.
I heard Croiser Mtn burned. :(
Been following closely since Piet's place burned (assumed at this point, but looks likely). CPR is reporting that fire management is *relatively* confident that the break they've created between East Troublesome and Cameron Peak will hold. As of 7am, the fire was over 170k acres and now 2nd largest in state history, in less than 2 weeks, most since Wednesday night. Comparatively, Cameron Peak has been going since August 13th and is at 207k acres.
The biggest concern with RMNP is 30yrs of effectively unlimited deadfall and no natural barriers after the divide, which it's crossed.

There is still concern of back burn towards Grand Lake and more damage there, but they are confident Granby is defensible.

As for the storm, they actually cited Joel Gaetz from Open Snow with estimates of 9-20" of snow, but potential high winds. Fire mgmt expects it should help a lot, but does not expect it will be enough to put the fires out.

That's the summary I have as of about 3 hrs ago before I jumped onto calls.

Again, has anyone heard from @TN? He should be in pre-evacuation in Jamestown, but everything around them is in evacuation. Anybody texted him to check on him?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
The one trail I hiked while in CO for Adam's wedding was absolutely MOBBED by dozens, if not hundreds, of (I'm assuming) tourists. It fucking sucked.

In RMNP? In the summer? :rofl:

We pretty much quit going up there in the summer over a decade ago... which is a shame, because it's a spectacular place.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
In RMNP? In the summer? :rofl:

We pretty much quit going up there in the summer over a decade ago... which is a shame, because it's a spectacular place.
Yea, in July. It was gorgeous, but the number of people made it not fun.

I'll take my mid-February overnighters in the White mtns where you don't see or hear a fucking peep. Tiny ass mountains and all.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

1603479269961.png

You called it, but still.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Yea, in July. It was gorgeous, but the number of people made it not fun.

I'll take my mid-February overnighters in the White mtns where you don't see or hear a fucking peep. Tiny ass mountains and all.
RMNP is *probably* still like that in February. RMNP is spectacular in winter/spring.

1603479813093.png

If you look closely, you can see two climbers in that prominent couloir.